Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Talking #6 Oklahoma St. goes down!!

GO MIZZOU!!!

What a game! We might get into the tounament yet!

Todd

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Not unless we win the Big XII tournament.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Man, I was going to throw some stuff if they lost this one. That was a nice win.

No way Missouri needs to win the Big XII tourney to win. They still have some work to do -- they need to win two of their last three, but all three would be better. If that happens, they'll get a first-round by in the Big XII tourney. I think a quarterfinal win there moves them firmly off the bubble.

This team has a tough schedule, some "quality" losses, some quality wins, a tough schedule, a winning conference record (hopefully) and a solid RPI. If they finish with at least 17 wins and an RPI of 45 or better, they're in.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'll give 'em the tough schedule, but I gotta disagree as far as the quality wins and losses go. They beat an OU program that clearly isn't what it's been in recent years, and they've lost a few pretty embarrassing games as well.

As much as I love 'em, Mizzou doesn't deserve to go this year unless they can take care of business in the conference tourney.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
Blade6119
Coordinator

I think a lot is ridding on that kansas match-up in a little while, and with kansas coming in after getting killed by Texas and Missouri riding a nice winning streak into the match, it could very well be an upset....that will be critical in my mind...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, all that is true... but I'm enjoying this win.

Todd
Old 02-24-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
Blade6119
Coordinator

it was beautiful...i wa jumping up and down and running through the house sreaming after they won...my family must have thought i was nuts.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19

No way Missouri needs to win the Big XII tourney to win. They still have some work to do -- they need to win two of their last three, but all three would be better. If that happens, they'll get a first-round by in the Big XII tourney. I think a quarterfinal win there moves them firmly off the bubble..

Duke would have a hard time getting in as would Kansas, UNC, and Arizona with only 17 wins. No chance Mizzou is in with 17 wins
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:32 PM   #9
The_herd
College Starter

Missouri is in much better shape than they were 2 weeks ago, but they are still a ways away from a tourney bid. They sit at 14-10 right now, they had a RPI around 50, and the 13th ranked schedule in the country. The thing that's going to hurt them the most right now is they are 1-4 against the top 25. This win certainly helps quite a bit, but they still have games against K-State, Texas Tech, and Kansas left before the Big 12 tourney. They need at least 2 of those and a win or 2 in the Tourney to have a legit shot at getting in.

Last edited by The_herd : 02-24-2004 at 11:33 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:03 AM   #10
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

M I Z .... Z O U !!! I still think we are a long shot for the tourney but we are hot and who knows! Once we get in, there is no telling what might happen! How about Ricky Paulding tonight and AJ's big free throws.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:11 AM   #11
Blade6119
Coordinator

Man, Mizzou would have to be any 5-6 seeds worst nightmare....if they make it, they will get a low seed...I cant imagine winning a high seed to get an "easy" match like Mizzou...lol
Demotivation
Old 02-25-2004, 12:13 AM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Blade - it happened two years ago. Mizzou was one of the last four in as a 12 seed, and ran all the way to the Elite Eight where they fell short against Oklahoma.

They've definitely proven capable of wreaking havoc if they reach the tourney, but I think they're a much longer shot to make it to the field of 65 this year than they were EDIT: two years ago.

Last edited by SackAttack : 02-25-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:21 AM   #13
tucker342
Pro Starter

There are so many mid-majors that deserve to get in over Mizzou. But Mizzou will probably finish 17-10 and get in to the tourney instead of a mid-major that goes 25-3 but gets upset in their conference championship game... that right there is a joke
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:17 AM   #14
sooner333
College Starter

Two years ago Missorui was damn good. Not only did they have AJ, Paulding, and Bryant, but they had Kareem Rush and Clarence Gilbert. They had a tough time in the regular season in an ultra-competative Big 12. Well, I saw the ability in them to get to the Elite Eight (I picked them as a 12 seed to get to there and lose to Oklahoma...I nailed that region, picking UCLA to upset Cinncy in the 2nd round).

This year, I don't think they are as good overall, and they have had an even harder time dealing with the loss of Clemens. BUT, they have come around as of late, and may steal the spot from Oklahoma. I do think that if trends continue and the Big 12 shapes up as OSU, Texas, KU, Mizzou, OU, CU...then the top five teams will make it and CU will be left out. I could see the #6 getting in IF it is OU or Mizzou, and they get the win in the 1st round of the Big 12 Tourney, and especially if they can beat Kansas in round 2 (Kansas is the weakest link by far of the top three).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

tucker - I'd agree. At this point, I don't think Missouri deserves it, and this is comin' from a die-hard Missouri fan. Would I still root for them if they made it? Of course. But I don't think, based on what they've shown so far, that they deserve an at-large. Win out in the regular season and make some noise in the Big XII tourney, and I may change my tune, but right now, I gotta go with 'no' on that, even though in my heart I'd still love to see them there.

As for who might come out of the Big 12, well...I gotta say I'm damned impressed with the run Nebraska has had lately. They thumped Kansas, took Oklahoma State to the limit before losing by four, lost by two to Texas and Oklahoma, split a pair with Missouri, creamed Texas Tech tonight...they've got a 5-8 record in conference play, but a couple breaks the other way, and they could very easily be 8-5, or even 9-4. To be 2-2 against the top four teams in the conference and have those two losses be by a combined six points is absolutely astonishing from that squad. They've got a chance to make that 3-2 if they can beat Kansas again on Wednesday, and they also have chances to avenge earlier losses to Iowa State and Colorado. If they run the table - and with Kansas in their way, that's not a certain thing, especially in Lawrence - and win a game or two in the Big XII tournament, I'd almost rather see them get the at-large ahead of Missouri.

I say 'almost,' because the Missouri fan in me won't let me actually root for something like that to occur, but I see a team that, if they get the chance, could bust some brackets in March when I look at Nebraska.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #16
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

as the forum's resident OSU fan, let me just say "bleah".
Old 02-25-2004, 07:20 AM   #17
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker342
There are so many mid-majors that deserve to get in over Mizzou. But Mizzou will probably finish 17-10 and get in to the tourney instead of a mid-major that goes 25-3 but gets upset in their conference championship game... that right there is a joke

First of all Mizzou will play more games than 27 so you are wrong with that and 17-10 would be 4th in the big 12 which is a hell of a lot better than a mid-major that can't beat the other scrubs in it's conference. Sorry as I went through this all last fall with Northern Illinois and company, but the power conferences get 5-6 teams in for a reason.

Oh, and go Tigers!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:44 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
First of all Mizzou will play more games than 27 so you are wrong with that and 17-10 would be 4th in the big 12 which is a hell of a lot better than a mid-major that can't beat the other scrubs in it's conference. Sorry as I went through this all last fall with Northern Illinois and company, but the power conferences get 5-6 teams in for a reason.

Actually, regular season best they could be is 17-10. And 16-11 looks more likely to me than 17-10. While even that looks like it might be good for 4th place this year but I don't believe for a second that makes them clearly better than teams like Gonzaga (23-2), ETSU (24-4), Murray State (23-5), SIU (23-2), Western Michigan (20-3), Kent (20-3), Manhattan (21-4), Utah State (22-2), or Boston Univ. (21-4).

Every one of those teams could lose in their conference tournament (just as much as MU could win the Big 12 tourney).

I'm as much a defender of the power conferences getting bids as anybody but I don't believe Mizzou & the Big 12 (this year) is exactly the most compelling argument I've seen for power conferences over mid-majors.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:03 AM   #19
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Actually, regular season best they could be is 17-10. And 16-11 looks more likely to me than 17-10. While even that looks like it might be good for 4th place this year but I don't believe for a second that makes them clearly better than teams like Gonzaga (23-2), ETSU (24-4), Murray State (23-5), SIU (23-2), Western Michigan (20-3), Kent (20-3), Manhattan (21-4), Utah State (22-2), or Boston Univ. (21-4).

Every one of those teams could lose in their conference tournament (just as much as MU could win the Big 12 tourney).

I'm as much a defender of the power conferences getting bids as anybody but I don't believe Mizzou & the Big 12 (this year) is exactly the most compelling argument I've seen for power conferences over mid-majors.

I say they wipe the floor with any of the teams otuside Gonzaga. They barely lost in overtime at Gonzaga earlier in the year. (And they are playing about 50x better right now)

I do agree the big 12 is down and also that Mizzou is really grasping at straws if they don't win out and at least make some noise in their conference tourney, but I am really getting tired of hearing about the mid-majors. (Of which I don't consider Gonzaga to be one)

So nobody will schedule them? Well they should wipe the floor with the scrubs in their conference tournament anyways or their conference should send the regular season champ and not have a conference tournament. Sorry but the big twelve (or SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big East, etc.) deserves 4-5 teams before any of the smaller conferences get two in.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:12 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Sorry but the big twelve (or SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big East, etc.) deserves 4-5 teams before any of the smaller conferences get two in.

I think where we disagree isn't in the general case, but on the existence of exceptions to this "rule".

It's not unusual for one of the "power conferences" to have a down year.
The ACC goes through it, the Pac-10 has gone through it, the Big East has gone through it, I believe it's at least arguable that the Big 12 may be going through one right now.

At the same time, it's possible for a "mid-major conference" to have an up year, where they have not just the typical one deserving team, but 2 or sometimes even 3.

And in those years, when those circumstances collide, I believe the mid-majors are more deserving of a bid or two than a team who wouldn't get a look except for their conference affiliation.

We're not all that far apart I don't think, it's just an odd situation where I'm the guy who doesn't believe in absolutes about something
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:15 AM   #21
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

C-USA should have 5 teams so there.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:39 AM   #22
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I think where we disagree isn't in the general case, but on the existence of exceptions to this "rule".

It's not unusual for one of the "power conferences" to have a down year.
The ACC goes through it, the Pac-10 has gone through it, the Big East has gone through it, I believe it's at least arguable that the Big 12 may be going through one right now.

At the same time, it's possible for a "mid-major conference" to have an up year, where they have not just the typical one deserving team, but 2 or sometimes even 3.

And in those years, when those circumstances collide, I believe the mid-majors are more deserving of a bid or two than a team who wouldn't get a look except for their conference affiliation.

We're not all that far apart I don't think, it's just an odd situation where I'm the guy who doesn't believe in absolutes about something

I guess my problem is when conferences have dominating teams outside of their conference but then parity inside of it. Oklahoma is a perfect example this year of a team that clobbered out of conference opponents but then has trouble with a conference that is very strong from team 1 to team 10. Nebraska, Colorado, and Iowa State may not show up on the national radar, but are about impossible road games to win. Now Mizzou doesn't fit this mold this year, they were beaten by a lot of teams outside of the confernce, but as a whole the big 12 is one of the best. (IMO) They just happen to all beat up on each other. (I think the same thing happens in football) Instead of having 3-4 really good teams that kill everybody there are 1-2 really good teams, 4-5 good teams, and 2-3 teams that can win on any given night.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:47 AM   #23
ZouDave
n00b

wow...lotta Mizzou fans here! WOOHOO! GO TIGERS!
ZouDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #24
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
as the forum's resident OSU fan, let me just say "bleah".

Don't worry Cam....they'll still most likely win the Big 12 (season championship) and they're a lock for the tourney. I was irritated that I couldn't watch more of the game last night. I'm in St. Louis for work....and no Missouri/OSU game on TV? \

On a side note, why in the world would Lucas throw up a three pointer. You need TWO points to win, boys....TWO. Throw it inside...at least if you drive the bucket you might get fouled. Drove me crazy last night...
Old 02-25-2004, 10:07 AM   #25
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar
Don't worry Cam....they'll still most likely win the Big 12 (season championship) and they're a lock for the tourney. I was irritated that I couldn't watch more of the game last night. I'm in St. Louis for work....and no Missouri/OSU game on TV? \

On a side note, why in the world would Lucas throw up a three pointer. You need TWO points to win, boys....TWO. Throw it inside...at least if you drive the bucket you might get fouled. Drove me crazy last night...

You're not the only OSU fan, Cam. I'm an OSU alum, and I was there when they went to the Final Four so I've become a huge OSU basketball fan. I can't escape my heritage, though, so I still root for OU in football.

Anyway, I quoted this post because I agree completely. They pulled a screen and switch and had Lucas matched up against a big guy (Johnson, I think). Why in the world do you shoot a three? You can easily drive past him and give yourself a good short jumper or get fouled.

Oh well, it was a great game. Missouri played as well as any tournament team, and OSU never went away. That gives me hope for this season. It all comes down to Texas on Big Monday.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:44 AM   #26
MrIllini
High School Varsity

fwiw, Southern Illinois would beat Missouri, imo

all due hatred for the Tiggers aside, that is my opinion
Old 02-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

SIU? Have they beaten anyone in the Top 25? ... Mizzou would beat them by 10.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-25-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:49 PM   #28
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

What an amazing dunk today by Ricky Paulding. Anyone else catch this dunk? I would say it ranks right behind Keyon Dooling's dunk against KU as the greatest dunk in Tiger history. The best part about it was they also called the guy with Ricky's groin in his face for a foul. (Unlike the Dooling dunk)

Last edited by panerd : 02-28-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #29
SackAttack
Head Coach

Musta bit him.