Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

OT: University of Phoenix

Has anyone had any dealings with, or know anyone who has, this university. I have been getting fed up with being shot down just because I don't have that little 20 thousand dollar piece of paper, even though I know I can run rings around the people they are getting just out of college (I do have 10 freakin' years of experience instead of the paper).

I have come across this institution, which looks to have a very good online setup. With that being that case I was thinking of transferring what credits that I had, applying job experience and testing out of some of the other courses and then finishing off what was left to get a degree.

The only question that I had is if this would really be worth it or if employers look at a degree from there as jut a piece of paper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

EagleFan,

From what I can tell, it might not have the same reputation as other schools, but it's better than nothing.

You might also check out Thomas Edison State College there in New Jersey. They're one of the few accredited universities that I know of offering a complete degree program online. You can also transfer credits and klep out of other courses by passing those tests.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
tucker342
Pro Starter

I know a person that got their degree from the University of Phoenix... he is very, very successful now, making several hundred thousand dollars a year....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:38 PM   #4
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Re: OT: University of Phoenix

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Has anyone had any dealings with, or know anyone who has, this university. I have been getting fed up with being shot down just because I don't have that little 20 thousand dollar piece of paper, even though I know I can run rings around the people they are getting just out of college (I do have 10 freakin' years of experience instead of the paper).

I have come across this institution, which looks to have a very good online setup. With that being that case I was thinking of transferring what credits that I had, applying job experience and testing out of some of the other courses and then finishing off what was left to get a degree.

The only question that I had is if this would really be worth it or if employers look at a degree from there as jut a piece of paper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't speak of their online classes, but I know a couple of people who teach or have taught there, and I do know a few people that have gone through some of their programs. They aren't bad. Headquartered here in a fancy brick building in Phoenix, fwiw, hence the name.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:48 PM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, that definitely helps.

Preciate It! (reference anyone?)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
Blade6119
Coordinator

I see their TV ad alot...looks professional

dont go off the ad, but i heared they run a fairly stand-up program..
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:35 AM   #7
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/annie...487450,00.html

This may help...I've visited the Univ of Phoenix campus near Philly, but I'd much prefer to do schoolwork online...still debating.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 09-19-2003 at 09:36 AM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:04 AM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

If you can put up with basically sucking up to idiot "professors" then go for it.

I took two semesters there and found it to be a huge waste of money. Sure, you'll have the magical diploma to slap on your resume, but I strongly question the quality of the education that they provide.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:54 AM   #9
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
If you can put up with basically sucking up to idiot "professors" then go for it.

I took two semesters there and found it to be a huge waste of money. Sure, you'll have the magical diploma to slap on your resume, but I strongly question the quality of the education that they provide.

You could say the same for a lot of degree-bearing programs once you are a little ways into them.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:49 PM   #10
Castlerock
High School Varsity

The University of Phoenix is a diploma factory. Sure a University of Phoenix diploma may be better than nothing but it is not worth very much. The fact that you are asking the question at all speaks volumes about it's worth.

For your own sake, please do some research and don't rely on anecdotal evidence. I'd hate to see someone invest time and effort when it could be better invested elsewhere.

Will you actually get a quality education?
Will an employer really be impressed with a University of Phoenix diploma?
Will it open doors for you?
Can you get another degree which will open more doors for you?
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:31 AM   #11
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

It's a dry University.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote