Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2003, 12:05 AM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

Another Student Sues School

Except, unlike the Hornstine case, this guy is sueing the college that accepted him....then kicked him out. Apparently, this guy is so smart, he forgot that his acceptance is condictional. He scored a 1600 on his SATs, had a 3.8 GPA, but decided that since he was accpeted already, he could get C's, D's and F's in his classes and still be accepted....what a dumbass.

Charlotte Observer Story (From Aug 20)

Student who aced SAT sues UNC for denying entry

COLLEGE ADMISSIONS

HILLSBOROUGH - A Guilford County high school graduate who recorded a perfect SAT score is suing UNC Chapel Hill, alleging the school refused to admit him after his grade point average dropped. Mark Edmonson, a National Merit Scholarship finalist, scored a perfect 1,600 on his SAT last year, but his grade point average fell from 3.8 to 3.5 in his senior year at Northwest Guilford High School. He wants a judge to force UNC to admit him as a freshman this year.Edmonson said in an affidavit filed in Orange County that university officials backed out of an April letter promising that as long as Edmonson graduated from Northwest, he would be admitted.

But a follow-up letter from UNC said Edmonson's admission had been temporarily suspended because his grades dropped during his senior year. Thomas Ziko, a special deputy attorney general, said Edmonson's SAT scores are only part of what UNC takes into account in deciding who should be admitted. Other factors, Ziko said, include declining grades. "His senior year grades are C's, D's and F's," Ziko said.

At a hearing Monday, Superior Court Judge John Jolly Jr. said he will take the matter under advisement and may not make a ruling until after classes begin Tuesday.

EDIT: The judge denied a temporary injuction that would have allowed the kid to attend the college while this goes through the courts.

Last edited by sabotai : 09-18-2003 at 12:10 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:31 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

I thought you were talking about this from my old home of Abilene, Texas (the city with more churches per capita than any other in the US)...

Damn, that's twice today I've been wrong about a thread title...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas family sues over "under God" reference in pledge

9/17/03 - ABILENE, TX) — An Abilene family is fighting against the Pledge of Allegiance over the phrase "under God."

In February, an 11-year-old girl refused to say the pledge with the phrase in class.

A substitute teacher told the girl she'd no right to live in America.

The girl's father decided to file a lawsuit in Taylor County against the current Abilene school superintendent, the school district, the state of Texas, the US Congress and President Bush.

The suit seeks no monetary damages, but does seek removing "in God we trust" from money, to rewrite the Pledge of Allegiance without the phrase "under God" and to forbid teaching theology in public schools.

The Abilene school district says they're simply following the law. The district hasn't been served with papers and a court date hasn't been set yet.

Senate Bill 83 went into effect on September 1 and mandates that public schools have the pledge to the United States and Texas flags and a moment of silence.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:38 AM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

lol
"The suit seeks no monetary damages, but does seek removing "in God we trust" from money, to rewrite the Pledge of Allegiance without the phrase "under God" and to forbid teaching theology in public schools. "

well, as long as he isn't doing this for the money...
Old 09-18-2003, 12:47 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

"A substitute teacher told the girl she'd no right to live in America. "

I would say that the substitute teacher deserves to be fired. I mean, telling an 11 year old girl she has no right to live in America? Just because she wouldn't say the pledge? I think that goes over the line for what a teacher is allowed to do.

But other than that, the lawsuit is pretty stupid.

"Senate Bill 83 went into effect on September 1 and mandates that public schools have the pledge to the United States and Texas flags and a moment of silence."

Does that mena the kid HAS to say it? Would that be considered unconstitutional?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 01:45 AM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

Re: Another Student Sues School

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
Except, unlike the Hornstine case, this guy is sueing the college that accepted him....then kicked him out. Apparently, this guy is so smart, he forgot that his acceptance is condictional. He scored a 1600 on his SATs, had a 3.8 GPA, but decided that since he was accpeted already, he could get C's, D's and F's in his classes and still be accepted....what a dumbass.

Charlotte Observer Story (From Aug 20)

Student who aced SAT sues UNC for denying entry

Good. The kid deserves what he's getting.

My senior year, I didn't do one ounce of work, and still got all A's and B's.

You gotta be a real moron to do what he did...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:31 AM   #6
Vince
Pro Starter

Your senior year? I don't remember ever doing an ounce of work for ALL of High School.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 05:53 AM   #7
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Sounds like that first kid is a case of "book smart/street stupid".

As to the second kid, I'm with Sabotai. The substitute should have been canned. Unless she's an illegal alien, the student most certainly has the right to live here.

As to 11 year olds refusing to say the pledge... I'm just going to leave that one alone. It's too early in the day to start a flame war.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

A real tool I went to school with did this. Aced the SATs, had a perfect (over 4.0 GPA) record, then just screwed around his senior year after he had been accepted to NYU. He screwed around so much he was afraid he would fail his civics final exam. Civics is Required here in California for graduation, most likely a lot of other places as well. In any case he cheated, and was caught. The result he ended up stuck at The local state college the next year.

When I saw him there I mentioned "I didn't know NYU had an extension program here at Fresno State". I mentioned he was a real tool right. The twist here is about 5 years later I ran into him in a pizza joint he was with a friend from high school. I reluctantly sat down with him, but was surprised by the total change of his character. He was no longer an asshole. I actually enjoyed his company. When I mentioned this to my friend, he told me the guy had been disowned by his parents for dating a black girl(said friends sister). I suddenly understood why he was an asshole all those years of school. All he needed was a bit of time away from his folks.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:39 PM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

What an idiot! He would have to be fucking retarded to get D's and F's as a senior!

and the Sub should instantly get fired! Telling an 11 year girl that she shouldn't be living in America because she refused to say the pledge? That's terrible...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:57 AM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

On the first case, a student may have a pretty decent argument based on 'detrimental reliance'. He relied on the UNC acceptance to his detriment. AND, since he is a NC resident, his SAT and (now lower) GPA would easily have gotten him into the school anyway.

The damning evidence:

Quote:
university officials backed out of an April letter promising that as long as Edmonson graduated from Northwest, he would be admitted.

He graduated, they didn't specify how.

If I was a judge, I might rule for the kid.