Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who is the good cook?
We are both fabulous cooks! 14 23.33%
My spouse is an awesome cook! 16 26.67%
I am the awesome cook! 24 40.00%
We are both terrible cooks, god bless applebees! 6 10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Good Cook=Good Marriage

I am working off the theory that in a relationship one person has to know how to cook well. If neither person can cook then the relationship is doomed to failure.

So who's the cook in your household?

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

My wife. She's an excellent cook. I, on the other hand, am horrible.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

My mother was a terrible cook, my father only grills on occassion...they've been together 35 years. My mother learned how to be a good cook. I think that's the key.

My fiance is somewhat decent when she doesn't venture into overloading ingredients, she likes my food but hates the fact that I only use a few ingredients (but I think I season it right).
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Complete fail on that one here, we're both average cooks on our very best days but it works out okay because neither of us enjoy it and both of us prefer eating even an average meal out than our best meal at home.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
MJ4H
Coordinator

We are both terrible cooks. Marriage is 10.5 years now and going great. Dated for 7 years before getting married.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

My wife is a good cook and still learning, and she really likes to cook. I am ok, just don't really enjoy it.

In fact, when relatives visit us from out of state, my wife will insist that we stay home to eat because she likes to cook for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.

Last edited by RomaGoth : 06-16-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I apparently cannot type
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Complete fail on that one here, we're both average cooks on our very best days but it works out okay because neither of us enjoy it and both of us prefer eating even an average meal out than our best meal at home.

so how many meals (or even just dinners) would you say that you eat out per week?

just curious.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

My wife isn't much of a cook at all. I wouldn't call myself a good cook but I like to cook and when I have time to do so I think I do pretty well. With two young kids, I would really like my wife to take an interest because I don't want to see my girls raised on chicken fingers and fish sticks. We've talked about trying to do more meal planning and prep in advance but we're both bagged by the time real life is done with us for the day...i.e. the girls are fed, bathed, and put to bed. Guess we just have to find the energy...somewhere.

EDIT: We'll be celebrating our 5th anniversary in a few days...so, we're hanging in there.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 06-16-2009 at 12:31 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
so how many meals (or even just dinners) would you say that you eat out per week?

Before the recession ate our industry or after?

Before, we might have eaten an actual meal (as opposed to a quick snack or a disinterested sandwich or bowl of cereal in lieu of skipping the meal entirely) at home maybe once or twice a week tops.

Now, unfortunately, it's more like 4 or 5 nights a week.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Telle
College Starter

RendeR's the cook in our household, and is quite good at it. I can cook if I have to and most everything comes out pretty well.. but it's not something I particularly enjoy doing. I do however love to bake.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Danny
Head Coach

Generally speaking we both are good cooks, but usually follow recipes. I can make things taste better and can improvise a bit more than my wife, but make a huge mess anytime I cook anything. My wife is neater, and healthier cooking than me.

Last edited by Danny : 06-16-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

My wife cooks things that are more comfort foods - Stews, Fried Chicken, Meatloaf, etc. Whenever we want something healthy or Asian, I'm in charge of that as she generally stinks and those types of things. My wife tries to improvise and it doesn't work and when it does work, she doesn't remember what she did or doesn't try it that way the next time.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 06-16-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
With two young kids, I would really like my wife to take an interest because I don't want to see my girls raised on chicken fingers and fish sticks.

My wife cooks nearly every night, and my oldest daughter still only eats cheese, chicken nuggets, and mac/cheese.

Quote:
We've talked about trying to do more meal planning and prep in advance but we're both bagged by the time real life is done with us for the day...i.e. the girls are fed, bathed, and put to bed. Guess we just have to find the energy...somewhere.

I hear ya. We have four of them to get to bed every night, three under the age of 4. Meal planning is a definite must in order to eat better meals at home. Otherwise, you find yourself eating pizza and cereal far too often.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I can make things taste better and can improvise a bit more than my wife, but make a huge mess anytime I cook anything. My wife is neater, and healthier cooking than me.

That's funny, I'm the same way...I'll follow a recipe but improvise if I think we'll like something else whereas my wife has to follow everything to a tee...even if it means we're likely not going to enjoy the final outcome...whether that means subbing out an ingredient neither of us cares for or even taking something out of the oven if it looks ready before the suggested time...she stays the course no matter what. And I like to do the dishes while I'm cooking...I just find it easier than having them pile up on the counter or in the sink and my wife refuses to do that.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

My wife loves my sausage.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Before the recession ate our industry or after?

Before, we might have eaten an actual meal (as opposed to a quick snack or a disinterested sandwich or bowl of cereal in lieu of skipping the meal entirely) at home maybe once or twice a week tops.

Now, unfortunately, it's more like 4 or 5 nights a week.

good point. interesting to know. that's cool. i just remember a home ec project in like 8th grade or something on household budgets, and one of the cornerstones of mine was eating out more often than not. *shrugs*
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
My wife loves my sausage.

I hear she loves all different kinds of sausage.

At least that was what she told us all at the ermmm "cookout" she had last time you were out of town
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I hear she loves all different kinds of sausage.

At least that was what she told us all at the ermmm "cookout" she had last time you were out of town

sonofa...I KNEW IT!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
sonofa...I KNEW IT!!

Sorry - I just couldn't resist - it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too easy.......................................................................

(lines that one up for someone else to knock down)
Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol - all kidding aside, i'm sure your wife is a wonderful lady...and i have utmost respect for her for putting up with you all the time
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

Sorry - I just couldn't resist - it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too easy.......................................................................

(lines that one up for someone else to knock down)

No, it's all good man. I think I would actually be disappointed in this place if someone didn't.

Quote:
lol - all kidding aside, i'm sure your wife is a wonderful lady...and i have utmost respect for her for putting up with you all the time

Thanks! Oh hey, wait...

Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #22
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
With two young kids, I would really like my wife to take an interest because I don't want to see my girls raised on chicken fingers and fish sticks.

If you're the one that's so worried about it, why isn't it good enough for you do the cooking? Is she a stay at home mom?

Last edited by lurker : 06-16-2009 at 01:47 PM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If you're the one that's so worried about it, why isn't it good enough for you do the cooking? Is she a stay at home mom?

oh shit!

FEMI-LURKER...LAYIN IT DOWN FOR GENDER EQUALITY!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #24
lurker
High School JV

Haha yeah crap like that really bugs me. In our house, I think we both probably cook the same amount since we both work outside the home the same amount and I don't think either of us are better than the other. I don't know what makes someone a good cook really -- if you can follow a recipe, you can make some really good food. I guess some people, who can go by instinct, are probably definitely good cooks.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Haha yeah crap like that really bugs me. In our house, I think we both probably cook the same amount since we both work outside the home the same amount and I don't think either of us are better than the other. I don't know what makes someone a good cook really -- if you can follow a recipe, you can make some really good food. I guess some people, who can go by instinct, are probably definitely good cooks.

lol - i was kidding, not trying to be serious.

i think it's having a good set of taste buds so that you can really what is the right amount of seasoning and when something is done.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm not a good cook but have managed to master 3 dishes. I use it when dating a girl and hopefully impresses her enough to sleep with me.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

So what are the 3?

1. Lasagna
2. Chicken Marsala
3. Roofie Casserole

?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That's funny, I'm the same way...I'll follow a recipe but improvise if I think we'll like something else whereas my wife has to follow everything to a tee...even if it means we're likely not going to enjoy the final outcome...whether that means subbing out an ingredient neither of us cares for or even taking something out of the oven if it looks ready before the suggested time...she stays the course no matter what. And I like to do the dishes while I'm cooking...I just find it easier than having them pile up on the counter or in the sink and my wife refuses to do that.

We are similar. I do almost all of the cooking since I am home by 4:00 each day. I am a far better cooking having worked at a restaurant my whole life. My wife cooks some things well but also has to follow the recipe.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #29
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I agree with the sentiment that "if you can follow a recipe you can make good stuff." I don't think I am a great cook or anything, but my wife and I cook about 50/50 (ok, nmore like 80/20 over the past few months, with her carrying the bulk of the work) and we both, for the most part, just follow the recipe and we have many good meals. Always preferrable to what we eat if we go out.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #30
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Recipes are for the weak. I've gotten pretty good at cooking over the years, and enjoy it primarily for the ability to be creative and whip up some new concoctions (though I've certainly had some colossal failures).

Girlfriend does the baking, I do the cooking. Which works well, 'cause I can't bake worth a damn, and she can't cook.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #31
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Of all the polls to not have a trout option.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #32
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

my wife is an excellent cook (and loves to do it). she didn't know how to grill when we got married, but she is now a grillmaster too.

I can cook, but I don't really like to. I do have a couple of simple dishes (spaghetti, lasagna, a chicken casserole, etc) that I break out from time to time to give her a break.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #33
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So what are the 3?

1. Lasagna
2. Chicken Marsala
3. Roofie Casserole

?

1) Herb and Garlic Chicken
2) Tomatoe Basil Chicken
3) Pork Tenderloin that is marinated in some sauce I found online that is unreal.

I can also make these parmesan garlic potatoes that are pretty good. Outside of that though, I suck at everything.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #34
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm the more accomplished cook, and enjoy it more than her, but since we had the baby our schedule has fallen out that the only time I can really work out is at dinnertime, so I only cook twice a week (and cook bigger, for leftovers).

Once upon a time I would enjoy spending 60-90 minutes after working putting a nice dinner together, as a nice stress reliever, and I hope to get back to that at some point.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

BTW, for those of you who say you suck at cooking, look up the FOFC Recipe Box thread for some ridiculously simple recipes I (and others) posted.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #36
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
i think it's having a good set of taste buds so that you can really what is the right amount of seasoning and when something is done.

You don't say....

Quote:
an orgasm in my mouth

Sorry, I'm having too much (immature) fun with this....

Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

My wife makes some excellent home made mac and cheese. Of course, the mexican food she makes is awesome (she's mexican). She likes the spicy bbq chicken that I make. She also likes the breakfasts that I make, which usually are some form of egg product, bacon, toast, hash browns and biscuits & gravy.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #38
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeah, she's a stay at home mom right now...sorry, I suppose I could've mentioned that. I usually don't get home until about 5pm or so and by that time she has the kids at the table ready for supper so there is no time for me to even help prepare supper...unless we get our act together and do it the night before. But, on most weekends, I cook most of the meals and will usually try to make something we don't have very often or else is too time consuming to try during the week.

It works as is, but I think we could be doing a better job during the week...not just her, but myself as well.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #39
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Of all the polls to not have a trout option.

Yeah, go figure.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #40
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Close for us. My wife is a pretty good baker, but we are both average cooks. We enjoy cooking, we enjoy eating what we cook, but it's been a long road of both learning how to cook better.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #41
tarcone
Coordinator

The very 1st meal my wife, like the few weeks of our relationship. My wife comes tothe house Im renting and is going to make Hamburger Helper Chili Mac. I was a 30 year old bachelor at the time and this was GOLD. So when dinner arrives it is the driest, mortar like substance. It was terrible. I ate a plateful and told her it was great.
Today my wife fries chicken and makes roasts and cooks very well. Im an okay cook. Im more of a specialist. As in bachelor specials. So it works out well.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #42
MrBug708
Head Coach

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #43
clemsonfan
High School JV

I am the cook in my house. I like to cook healthy foods but lately that has been a challenge due to mot being able to afford all the organic stuff I used to buy.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #44
Autumn
Head Coach

We both like to cook in my house. These days she does most of it due to the way our business is working at the moment, but in the past we have split it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #45
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The very 1st meal my wife, like the few weeks of our relationship. My wife comes tothe house Im renting and is going to make Hamburger Helper Chili Mac. I was a 30 year old bachelor at the time and this was GOLD. So when dinner arrives it is the driest, mortar like substance. It was terrible. I ate a plateful and told her it was great.
Today my wife fries chicken and makes roasts and cooks very well. Im an okay cook. Im more of a specialist. As in bachelor specials. So it works out well.

This is GOLD. Reminds me of the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond when Deborah makes Ray the meal at her apartment.

Quote:
Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #46
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

We both do some of the cooking in the house and I do all of the grilling. My wife prepares very basic meals - they taste great but they're basically simple recipies. I, on the other hand, love to mess around with different flavors and prepare grand meals. The problem with that is that a) its time consuming so its a once in a while thing and b) much like Danny I make a big mess because I've used fifteen different pots and pans or whatnot so the meal is very good but the cleanup is a big project that nobody wants to undertake

On top of that our son has food allergies so unless we're sticking to basic foods with basic seasonings (salt and pepper) then we have to make two meals really and with 3 kids, her working part time and me working full time plus then on the games....we just don't have that kind of time. I think pretty much the only reason we do get around to cooking most nights is simply because our son can't have a McDonalds or pizza from a pizza place.

BTW, my wife is an AMAZING baker - I don't know what she does in there but her desserts are unbelievable. If we ever have the chance I would love to open a small dessert shop for her because she is supremely gifted there and the 30 pounds or so I've put on since I met her are proof of it.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 06-17-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #47
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
...the 30 pounds or so I've put on since I met her are proof of it.

Only 30 lbs., Gary? C'mon now...

j/k

Quote:
Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #48
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Neither of us are much for cooks, our usual meal is me grilling meat and her nuking some vegetables. 8 years and counting doing that.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #49
Drake
assmaster

My wife can't even heat things up right in the microwave. I've seen her ruin ramen noodles.

Her idea of getting funky in the kitchen is (over)boiling a pot roast. 75% of the recipes with which she feels confident start with macaroni and cheese.

If it wasn't for me, we'd eat like college students, because she also has no desire to learn differently.

Of course, she gets pissed off at "all those women who think cooking is such a great skill -- anybody can cook".
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #50
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I like to eat, thus I like to cook

Both of my parents were good at cooking and that's the environment I Came from. I think I cook better than my wife but we're both quite competent. However, when it comes to baking unhealthy and yummy things, she crushes me at the dessert course.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote