Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh - I hate spending $

So I want to pick up the new Sims game today. That's a reasonable expense, no worries.

But then my cellphone goes kaput over the weekend. I sure hope they can fix it so I don't have to shell out a ton for a new one (what are the htc diamond pro or touch going for anyway, considering i dont have an expired contract and i just upgraded like a year and a half ago i'd expect like $500).

AND to add insult to injury - some salesguy from Tom James (the custom suit people) called me like 3 months ago and made an appointment that we had to reschedule. Thought we rescheduled it for tomorrow and I would have time to cancel it today, but we rescheduled it for today so he showed up at 9am, and I couldn't see myself just sitting through his presentation and sending him away with nothing, so I threw down $125 bucks for a shirt.

Sure as hell hope they can fix my phone for free or this is going to be one of those fucking expensive days that happen a couple of times a year.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
but we rescheduled it for today so he showed up at 9am, and I couldn't see myself just sitting through his presentation and sending him away with nothing, so I threw down $125 bucks for a shirt.

Cough - $125 for a shirt .... damn, my entire wardrobe doesn't cost that much ....

(if an individual item of clothing is over $10 then I normally won't buy it - yeah I'm a skinflint ....)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

125 for a shirt and you're worried about teh phone? Priorities dude. and some common sense.

Its a SHIRT. JC Penney's 25 bucks for good quality dress shirts.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

And you no longer have the right to use that quote in your sig
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

It was pretty obvious where this thread was going.

But yeah, if you spent $125 on a shirt, I'd say..

"You keep using this word hate, I don't think it means what you think it means"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

$125? I don't know if I've spent that much on my last 10 shirts that I've bought.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love spending money, I just wish I had more to spend.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That shirt better have had 12.5 ounces of steak on it.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I didn't want to spend the money on the damn shirt. But it was that or like $150 on a pair of pants. Once the poor salesman comes to the damn appointment (my own fault for not canceling it I freely admit - more frustrated about that then anything else), I can't send him away with nothing - that's an uber-dick move.

I'm very much of the school of "go to marshalls, get a $20 dress shirt in a box with a tie" usually.

*shrug* I suppose I could send him an email this afternoon and cancel the order. hmm - that has potential
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I didn't want to spend the money on the damn shirt. But it was that or like $150 on a pair of pants. Once the poor salesman comes to the damn appointment (my own fault for not canceling it I freely admit - more frustrated about that then anything else), I can't send him away with nothing - that's an uber-dick move.

So I take it your a Jehova's Witness because it'd be impolite to let them go without acquiring a conversion
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Did you specifically call this salesman and invite him to your home? If he cold-called you or otherwise solicited you, there is nothing wrong with sending him away empty handed.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't want to spend the money on the damn shirt. But it was that or like $150 on a pair of pants.

You may now remove my quote from your signature, it's been revoked.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Did you specifically call this salesman and invite him to your home? If he cold-called you or otherwise solicited you, there is nothing wrong with sending him away empty handed.

nah - he did cold-call me. i'm just too nice .
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You may now remove my quote from your signature, it's been revoked.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, 4 for $199...never go wrong.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
nah - he did cold-call me. i'm just too nice .

I have a strong urge to revive an old ECW chant.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have a strong urge to revive an old ECW chant.

love it!

I'll just send him an email later saying "eh - cancel my order."
Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

love it!

hopefully the guy didn't spend the commission already on like, food for his family, or something.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

love it!

Just mention how your phone went on the fritz and you can't afford the shirt now. I am sure he is a reasonable person whom won't try and still sell you something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
hopefully the guy didn't spend the commission already on like, food for his family, or something.

well he won't have put the order in yet. but see that's where i feel bad...jackass
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think some expensive clothes are sometimes worth it. My wardrobe isn't full of pricey things, but I have a couple shirts or pants or whatever that cost more than average, and they either feel better or I like how they look a lot.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

I'm sure in that line of work, he gets a ton of cancellations from people who are too much of a woman to say no to his face .
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
Telle
College Starter

Wow.. you better hope that the Kirby salesman never finds you. You buy an overpriced shirt just for a pitch.. you'd certainly buy the overpriced vacuum for getting your carpets cleaned during their demo. I forget exactly how much they are, but I remember the payment plan monthly payment they quoted us being close to what we were paying on our car.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm sure in that line of work, he gets a ton of cancellations from people who are too much of a woman to say no to his face .

LOL - you say that like it's supposed to offend me, but it's a well-known fact among everyone that knows me that that's me.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle View Post
Wow.. you better hope that the Kirby salesman never finds you. You buy an overpriced shirt just for a pitch.. you'd certainly buy the overpriced vacuum for getting your carpets cleaned during their demo. I forget exactly how much they are, but I remember the payment plan monthly payment they quoted us being close to what we were paying on our car.

well see no, at that price there's just no way i could justify it financially. but i mean i can afford this - it's just that i'd rather not spend it.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think some expensive clothes are sometimes worth it. My wardrobe isn't full of pricey things, but I have a couple shirts or pants or whatever that cost more than average, and they either feel better or I like how they look a lot.

yeah. but i just bought a new suit. and this shirt definately doesn't go with the suit. it's more of a "business casual" or "going out to pick up chicks" casual type of dress shirt, and neither of those are things i really do.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You should have a female friend call him, say she is you fiance and cancel the order and say you have a wedding to pay for and she didn't approve the purchase.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You should have a female friend call him, say she is you fiance and cancel the order and say you have a wedding to pay for and she didn't approve the purchase.

except i copped to being single

i'll just send him an email and say that i have to replace my busted phone afterall and a new phone was way more than i thought it would be. i'm sure he'll stop reading long before that point anyways.

he was from Ohio too - that's why I really should have canceled the fucking sales call. Douchebag state!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-15-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #30
DanGarion
Coordinator

Have any of you actually ever had a custom made shirt?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #31
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
yeah. but i just bought a new suit. and this shirt definately doesn't go with the suit. it's more of a "business casual" or "going out to pick up chicks" casual type of dress shirt, and neither of those are things i really do.

Ah ok, then it's harder to justify.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

i haven't. i bet they're really comfy though, right?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You should at least call him, if you email him he may say the order was already placed by the time he got the message and there isn't anything he can do about it.

Just don't call him from your cell phone.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You should at least call him, if you email him he may say the order was already placed by the time he got the message and there isn't anything he can do about it.

Just don't call him from your cell phone.

valid point. and i can't call him from my cell phone - it is legitimately downstairs in the sprint shop. hopefully they can fix it though
Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
it is legitimately downstairs in the sprint shop.

You have a Sprint store in your basement? Dude, seriously, I think we need to start a financial advice thread here. Not that you need it obviously, I was thinking you could hand out some tips though.

Is there a Starbucks in your kitchen too?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #36
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I have. Though since I got it in India, it was probably something like $5-$10.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #37
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
But then my cellphone goes kaput over the weekend. I sure hope they can fix it so I don't have to shell out a ton for a new one (what are the htc diamond pro or touch going for anyway, considering i dont have an expired contract and i just upgraded like a year and a half ago i'd expect like $500).

I always get the cheapest cell phone available. All I need it to do is place and receive calls.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-15-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #38
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
You have a Sprint store in your basement? Dude, seriously, I think we need to start a financial advice thread here. Not that you need it obviously, I was thinking you could hand out some tips though.

Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

lol - in the ground floor of the office building i'm in

my financial advice right now would be - keep an eye on oil based on the political situation in Iran. Oil is generally a good play right now, but if it seems that the revolution has potential to bring in a reformist leader the price of oil could go thru the roof due to uncertainty about supply
Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Since I worked there for 8 years aren't i like a walking starbucks?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Just like anything else...if it's good quality, it's worth the money.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #42
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

DT is my hero!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #43
JediKooter
Coordinator

YouTube - Season 1 Episode 08-A Shirt Story #1

Sorry, can't embed it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well phone fixed for free. basically a whole new phone (i think they took out the chipset and popped it into a new body), so that's nice.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #45
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Just for some sanity here, there is a difference between a $10 shirt and a $125 shirt. Having said that, if you think you're spending too much money, perhaps go with a $50 shirt instead.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #46
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Just for some sanity here, there is a difference between a $10 shirt and a $125 shirt. Having said that, if you think you're spending too much money, perhaps go with a $50 shirt instead.

lol

well of course there's a difference. I just don't think I dress up enough for it to matter I suppose.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #47
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Ill go as high as 16$ if its one of those never iron shirts!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #48
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the never iron ones are like the only ones i bother buying anymore.

lol
Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #49
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

for 125$ i would expect him to throw in a eastern European chick to iron it!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #50
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm not saying there isn't some kind of value to a $125 shirt, but to say "I hate spending $" and then say, "I bought a $125 shirt" just doesn't jive.

For the record I think $30-$40 is the most I've spent on a shirt, generally $20 or less.

Quote: