Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How Much Soda Do You Drink On An Average Day?
None 45 30.61%
0-1 L 65 44.22%
1-2 L 24 16.33%
2-3 L 8 5.44%
3-5 L 4 2.72%
5-7 L 0 0%
7-9 L 1 0.68%
> 9 L 0 0%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

How Much Soda Do You Drink A Day?

I came across an article recently discussing muscle weakness as a result of "excessive cola consumption." In the article, they discussed patients who were drinking up to 10 liters of soda a day!!!! (article: Excessive Cola Consumption Can Lead To Super-sized Muscle Problems, Warn Doctors)

I rarely drink soda anymore, unless it's in a mixed drink. Was just curious how much soda people really drink, I don't think I ever really drank more than 1 L a day.

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I used to drink close to 7 - 10 20 oz bottles a day of soda. I started when my wife was in the hospital, I would sit there and drink sodas all day, and then after she finally got out, I continued that bad habit.

I don't know if I had muscle weakness (I continued to be active without problems), but my weight shot through the roof. I decided last January to cut out the sodas almost entirely. I drink one 12 oz can of soda a day (or if I eat out, I'll drink one glass of soda at the restaurant) and that is it. Amazingly by doing only that alone, my weight dropped close to 40 pounds this year.

Those things are so evil to drink.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

On average, 0-1. Usually grab a 20 oz. bottle, or buy a 2 liter and take 2-3 days to drink it. Then I will go a day without mixed in, and the day with 2-3 to offset those days. Coke Zero 98% of the time.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-21-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
Balldog
Pro Rookie

No pop for me....water, milk and beer only.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

0-1 for me, definitely 1-2 for my wife.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

It used to be 0-1 and stretched to 1-2 some days.

August 26th of last year I finally decided to stop drinking soda and haven't had a drop since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I used to drink 6-8 Dr Peppers a day. I drank it with every meal, including breakfast.

I've cut down a lot over the years, and now I'm basically down to 1 a day, with lunch, and replaced them with water or skim milk. replacing soda with milk is doubly helpful for my osteoperosis. Sadly, it's done nothing for my weight.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
It used to be 0-1 and stretched to 1-2 some days.

August 26th of last year I finally decided to stop drinking soda and haven't had a drop since.

kudos.
when I first started cutting down a few years ago, I first went cold turkey. I managed to get over the bad caffeine headaches (I don't drink coffee, so they were my main caffeine source), but I found I was craving them too much. It worked out much better for me to just stick to one a day - my cravings get filled but I'm not overdoing it.

We've also worked very hard to keep soda out of my kids' diet. Very rarely, Graham will have a small serving of root beer or orange soda. Hannah doesn't like it at all, and I hope she stays that way.

Am I calculating it right? 10 Liters = about 28 cans? That can't be right, can it?

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 05-21-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Those things are so evil if you drink 7 - 10 20 oz bottles a day.

Fixed. I predict in under 20 years we'll have a news story about people who consume high amounts of energy drinks as well. Kids who are growing up on that stuff are gonna have some serious health issues later on.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I went with 1-2L a day, I normally consume 4 20 oz bottles of Cherry Coke/Pepsi a day.

However, I also attribute it to my 30 pound weight gain since October as I have been fairly consistent with it since then. So I am stopping, right now I am down to 1 a day and working out.

I will be drinking Tea/Coffee more than anything else.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
kudos.
when I first started cutting down a few years ago, I first went cold turkey. I managed to get over the bad caffeine headaches (I don't drink coffee, so they were my main caffeine source), but I found I was craving them too much. It worked out much better for me to just stick to one a day - my cravings get filled but I'm not overdoing it.

For me it was much harder to "just get a taste" and then avoid drinking more than just cutting it out entirely. Mentally I handle "none" better than "just a little" for whatever reason. Especially at work where you want something cold and tasty and that soda machine is just right there... "what's one more?"

In fairness, at home I have replaced soda with Sweet Tea. So I haven't gone 100% healthy, but a big part of this move for me was that I have relatively bad acid reflux and the #1 trigger in my daily diet (by a large margin) was soda. So I've removed that aspect, although I still get a fair amount of sugar and caffeine from the tea. However, it's generally just one glass with dinner - so it's still nothing compared to the 4-5 cans of soda I'd drink at work.

Quote:
We've also worked very hard to keep soda out of my kids' diet. Very rarely, Graham will have a small serving of root beer or orange soda. Hannah doesn't like it at all, and I hope she stays that way.

This is a goal of mine if I ever have kids. I had soda readily available as a kid and I think that has to have had an impact on how much I drank as an adult.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I went with 1-2L a day, I normally consume 4 20 oz bottles of Cherry Coke/Pepsi a day.

However, I also attribute it to my 30 pound weight gain since October as I have been fairly consistent with it since then. So I am stopping, right now I am down to 1 a day and working out.

I will be drinking Tea/Coffee more than anything else.

4 20oz bottles = 2-3L
Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
No pop for me....water, milk and beer only.

I am glad someone in here used the correct terminology.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
4 20oz bottles = 2-3L

Hmm..

Then my past habits are worse than I thought .. at times I probably would have been in the 3-4 range..

Quote:
Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Thank God that even if you like Philly teams, you get something right.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #17
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

never been a real big drinker of soda, not that I don't like it, I just try to watch myself. Currently, it's about one 355ml can per week, on the weekend, unless we eat out. Exception is when we do a movie night on a Saturday night. Then it's almost two cans in that evening.

Quote:

well done. We've been doing the same with Andrew, our 12yo. He gets to have a can when we do the aforementioned movie night and that's it. I forget how old Hannah is, but our youngest, Matthew 5yo, also doesn't like it. I know it will change though. If we can simply keep him on the same restriction as his older brother, and I don't see why not, we'll be happy. Same goes with candies too. No candies are eaten out of dessert time.

Quote:
Am I calculating it right? 10 Liters = about 28 cans? That can't be right, can it?

Calculation's right. As I said above a can is 355ml or 0.355 liter so 28 cans is 9.94 liters.

That's a bit crazy if you ask me. Seriously, who would drink 28 cans of soda in a day?!?

FM
Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
never been a real big drinker of soda, not that I don't like it, I just try to watch myself. Currently, it's about one 355ml can per week, on the weekend, unless we eat out. Exception is when we do a movie night on a Saturday night. Then it's almost two cans in that evening.

well done. We've been doing the same with Andrew, our 12yo. He gets to have a can when we do the aforementioned movie night and that's it. I forget how old Hannah is, but our youngest, Matthew 5yo, also doesn't like it. I know it will change though. If we can simply keep him on the same restriction as his older brother, and I don't see why not, we'll be happy. Same goes with candies too. No candies are eaten out of dessert time.

Calculation's right. As I said above a can is 355ml or 0.355 liter so 28 cans is 9.94 liters.

That's a bit crazy if you ask me. Seriously, who would drink 28 cans of soda in a day?!?

FM

For me the most I used to drink before I stopped was about 10 20-oz bottles a day (some days perhaps I went as high as 11 or 12, but rarely did I go over 8-9 a day). 12 20-oz bottles would be close to what? 7 liters? So yeah, 10 liters of soda a day is pretty darn high!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #19
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I stopped drinking pop for six months and drank only water and I lost no pounds at all. I'm drinking pop again.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #20
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's definitely one of those things that I constantly mean to quit, but never quite do. Unfortunately, it's really a crutch for me when I'm tired. I range between 1 and 3 20 oz Cherry Cokes a day. Ugh.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-21-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #21
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I moved from regular to diet pop about a year ago and lost 10 lbs. Out of college I would drink Mountain Dew like it was going out of style, but I cut back to one at dinner. On the weekends I might have 2 or 3 a day.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I moved from regular to diet pop about a year ago and lost 10 lbs. Out of college I would drink Mountain Dew like it was going out of style, but I cut back to one at dinner. On the weekends I might have 2 or 3 a day.

I only drink diet pop as well. Just way too many empty calories in leaded pop. Coke Zero has been my savior. Much better tasting than Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #23
Icy
Pro Starter

I voted 1-2 as for any reason i thought we were talking about cans, now i have noticed it's L, so my vote should be for 0-1.

I drink a can of zero coke daily, it's like a ritual for me, I put it in the freezer at 5pm and drink it just when it's about to freeze.

Even when it's only one can per day, the day i skip it for any reason, i can feel the addiction i have to that moment, that i guess is more psychological than physical as else i would drink more than one per day.

Last edited by Icy : 05-21-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #24
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I've had my bad times, good times (see my dynasty thread started way back when), and now am "pretty good". I generally have 1 12-oz can with dinner, and get soda when I go out to eat (which is typically lunch). Usually I don't refill or have an extra can at home, but sometimes I do. So I probably average 2.5 cans per day if I count everything, which I'm happy enough with.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #25
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I am typically in the 2-3 liter range, mainly due to the fact that with my Crohn's disease, I can't drink milk, coffee, and, strangely, have issues with the little packets of Crystal Light/Kool-Aid that can be added to water. This basically limits me to soda, which helps settle my stomach issues, and water. Recently, however, I've started switching to iced tea a lot more (thanks Brewman's) which I'm going through about 2 liters of that a day and still 2 cans of Coke.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #26
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I probably drink about 10 cans (12 oz) per week. Some days one, some two, rarely zero.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #27
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
For me the most I used to drink before I stopped was about 10 20-oz bottles a day (some days perhaps I went as high as 11 or 12, but rarely did I go over 8-9 a day). 12 20-oz bottles would be close to what? 7 liters? So yeah, 10 liters of soda a day is pretty darn high!

yeah, 20 oz is 591 ml so 12 bottles would be 7.1 liters. using the 20 oz example, 10 liters would be nearly 17 bottles, 16.9 to be exact.

FM
Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #28
BYU 14
Coordinator

Can't even remember the last time I had a soda, I may drink 2-3 a year. My primary beverage is water, then Green tea. On weekends I may have a couple of Beers, but I have also gone weeks without drinking one.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #29
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I know I drink too much of it but honestly I need the caffeine to get through the day. Between the day job, the games, taking care of kids etc...I need something to make up for not sleeping enough.

Our son (4 1/2 yrs old) has food allergies (wheat/gluten, corn, milk) so he can't even have regular pop because of the corn syrup. This made it infinitely easier to get him drinking water and because he drinks water with almost all meals and throughout the day so does his younger sister. There is pop he can have that does not have the corn syrup or other allergens for him but we only give him that for special occassions like a birthday. They might get a juice box or glass of juice a day but other than that they drink water and I'm very happy about that. I don't really want to pass my bad habit on to them and as tough, time consuming and expensive as it is to deal food wise with those allergies I am thankful it forces me not to let him have the pop even though I still drink it.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 05-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #30
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I drink the hell out of Coke Zero and Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper during the day, at least a six pack per day. Switched to diet about 10 years ago and lost 15 pounds pretty soon after.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It depends on the day, but generally 3-5 cans, and maybe a drink if i get dinner. Being on the road so much and being tired as well, i need something to give me a kick to stay awake.

Back when I worked in a restaurant(and Im sure Jeebs can attest to this as well) we had unlimited free soda. It was hot and miserable. We might be talking about 5-6 litres on a busy night. Easily.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #32
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I switched from Soda to the Crystal Light(five calories) not to long ago. Not only have I dropped a little weight(I was 190 now about 185) I feel a whole lot better when I wake up in the morning. I also stopped drinking as much as I use too(I might have one cup of vodka or dark liquor)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #33
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I usually have a can of Coke Zero mid-morning, and a medium slurpee in the evening. Some days I have a fountain drink or another can of Coke Zero in the afternoon.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I drink, at most, several pops a year. Maybe somewhere between 1-10 tops, likely closer to 5 or so. Every once in a while the mood strikes, but it's pretty rare. I just don't like the taste anymore. Too sugary and sweet. Though when I do drink pop it's either Mountain Dew (the sugariest and sweetest of them all) or Faygo Rock 'n Rye.

Typically I stick to water and beer. I drink juice occassionally. I also like those Vitamin Waters, but only when I'm hungover and need to drink a lot of fluids but am sick of water.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #35
lungs
Pro Rookie

Drink milk! (unless you can't)
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #36
RendeR
Coordinator

I can't live without soda (yes its SODA, "Pop" is not a noun, figure it out already)

I used to drink multiple 2 liter bottles a day then I discovered I had sugar issues and switched to diet only, lost 20 lbs almost instantly.

I still drink Soda all the time but I do supplement it a bit with diet teas and FUZE.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #37
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

HB #2 here.

Like my evil twin, I rarely drink soda. I'll only bother with it when I'm dining out and I can't get anything better.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #38
JediKooter
Coordinator

I drink maybe one soda a day and it's almost always non caffenated root beer.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #39
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I used to drink about 10-12 12 oz cans of Diet Pepsi a day. I've cut down to 2 or 3 now.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #40
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I was at around 90oz of Mountain Dew a day, and stopped July 26 last year. I still do mixed drinks, and I have been cheating a lot lately by drinking Arizona Sweet Tea, but I haven't just had a soda since then.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #41
SportsDino
College Prospect

My blood is carbonated.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #42
Bad-example
College Starter

I drink 2-4 sodas a day.

If I want a pop instead I can always tell my neighbor his wife's ass is too big.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #43
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

WHAT THE HELL IS POP

ARE YOU TALKING SHIT ABOUT MY DAD???
Old 05-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #44
atatange1
High School JV

I used to drink a couple cans of coke a day but switched to Gatorade at home a couple years ago, but will drink soda only if I go out to eat.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #45
Schmidty
Coordinator

I gave up caffeine about a year ago because I was so addicted. Once I went through the withdrawal (seriously), I realized that I was less tired than I was when I still drank pop. Not only that, but I save a lot of money. Now it's water, water, water.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #46
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I drink 2-4 sodas a day.

If I want a pop instead I can always tell my neighbor his wife's ass is too big.

Same..2-4...and neighbor's wife's ass.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #47
path12
Coordinator

I love carbonation. Only drink diet pop but probably 2 cans a day, though I've started drinking more club soda/sparkling water over the past year. On a weekend day I can easily drink 2 liters of carbonated something or other.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #48
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I can't live without soda (yes its SODA, "Pop" is not a noun, figure it out already)

You know, as in "soda pop". soda is the um... noun... and pop is what is does...yeah, that's the ticket.

Anyways, I only drink pop when I eat out and don't want to have a beer. I got the coffee down to 1 a day, and little pop. If I can get the mid-week beers down I'll really be in good shape. To be honest, with pop I worry more about my teeth than my muscles.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #49
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
4 20oz bottles = 2-3L

I said normally, in the past month I have knocked it down to 2 - 3 a day, if that...

I am slowly losing weight, but not at the level I need, but some of that is due to me still drinking this crap.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #50
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I dont drink soda unless I want to get drunk, then its Dr. Pepper and coconut Rum
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote