Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yellowstone Volcano?

I generally am pretty level headed and not quick to jump to conclusions or panic but this does have me surprisingly concerned. There has been a lot of volcano's up at the Yellowstone national park which is actually the calderas of a super volcano that is 20,000 years over due for an eruption. Living south of Denver we would be greatly affected but I guess the whole us and even the planet would be severely affected by the ash cloud. If anyone remember Mt. Saint Helens this one would put 2,500 times bigger. I guess my 401k or my house pricing dropping 15% isn't the worst thing that could happen to my me.........In anycase, the story is linked from the front page of the news.

Scientists eye unusual swarm of Yellowstone quakes - Yahoo! News

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My mom's a geophysicist and has mentioned Yellowstone a couple of times. General consensus is that we're all pretty effed when it goes off, on a mass extinction scale. This isn't one of those "if you live in Wyoming, you're hosed". It's a "if you're a human, you're hosed".

It has "small" eruptions which cause continental extinctions and global disruptions (the likes of which people have no idea) but that's not really what's due. The bigger concern is the "larger" ones every ~600K years which cause global extinctions. It's been about 640K since the last one.

So, yeah, no one would be talking about the economy if it went off...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-30-2008 at 06:45 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My mom's a geophysicist and has mentioned Yellowstone a couple of times. General consensus is that we're all pretty effed when it goes off, on a mass extinction scale. This isn't one of those "if you live in Wyoming, you're hosed". It's a "if you're a human, you're hosed".

It has "small" eruptions which cause continental extinctions and global disruptions (the likes of which people have no idea) but that's not really what's due. The bigger concern is the "larger" ones every ~600K years which cause global extinctions. It's been about 640K since the last one.

SI

I've already got an 'ash bailout' in the works. So I've got that going for me........
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

This is why I can't get behind the whole green movement. Like the planet is fragile enough to need our help. I'm just not that arrogant.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

I agree. Let's go pollute!!!11!1
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Also, this falls under the category of things I can't do anything about where there's a slight chance it might kill me. No sense worrying about something that we can't do anything about. I'll spend my time worrying about the coming zombie apocalypse instead.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-30-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

This is the one thing that scare the bejebbers out of me. One massive belch there and we're all toast.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Also, this falls under the category of things I can't do anything about where there's a slight chance it might kill me. No sense worrying about something that we can't do anything about. I'll spend my time worrying about the coming zombie apocalypse instead.

+1
Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Warhammer's cavalier indifference to the coming zombie apocalypse should serve as inspiration to us all.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Volcano insurance. Better look into it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just don't get burned.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Warhammer's cavalier indifference to the coming zombie apocalypse should serve as inspiration to us all.

I figure with the holy symbols around the house I'd be alright. That and I know this guy that plays a 20th lvl cleric in a local RPG group and....

Oh crap...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I agree. Let's go pollute!!!11!1

Extrapolate much? I didn't say that.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The eruption will happen Dec. 21st, 2012.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Note to self: delay all Christmas shopping until December 22nd, 2012.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:

+1... well, except for the coming zombie apocalypse.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
Anthony
Banned

zombie apocolypse. i like it. i'd see the movie.

where will the 1st outbreak be? who will be Zombie Zero (the first reported case of zombieism)? will it be some backwoods farmer who emerges from the woods on an unsuspecting teen couple? will it be Mitchu: the jungle boy that Dr. Ace Winters, noted tribal researcher, brings back from the deep jungles of Brazil?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
zombie apocolypse. i like it. i'd see the movie.

where will the 1st outbreak be? who will be Zombie Zero (the first reported case of zombieism)? will it be some backwoods farmer who emerges from the woods on an unsuspecting teen couple? will it be Mitchu: the jungle boy that Dr. Ace Winters, noted tribal researcher, brings back from the deep jungles of Brazil?

World War Z
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
Anthony
Banned

i know, i read the book. but Zombie Apocalypse is too good of a title to not make a movie out of.

and guess who we got to play the part of Dr. Ace Winters:

look at him. he know's they're out there. somewhere on the horizon a zombie horde that threatens humanity is inching its way. and only he can find the cure to stop it.

only he. preferably while shirtless.

Last edited by Anthony : 12-30-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

The cure?

Here's the cure.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
some other guy's war manual

I honestly would have expected better from you, of all people, on this subject.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #23
Anthony
Banned

this movie needs to be made NOW:

Old 12-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #24
Anthony
Banned

btw, that's a pic of Dr. Ace Winters holding the FB100, aka "The Freebird", that shoots bullets laced with Professor Mookie Platt's newly invented Doomsday serum.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #25
chesapeake
College Starter

It sucks that Professor Mookie's brains got sucked out just after passing the formula off. Ace is going to agonize about that for at least 12 minutes. Then he will have sex with the Professor's hot graduate assistant.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Anthony
Banned

and look who just signed on to play the part of Professor Mookie Platt:

Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #27
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I love this thread derail.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #28
Anthony
Banned

ok, the hardest working man in Hollywood couldn't pass up the opportunity to play the cold, hardened and primitive Colt McKnight.

Last edited by Anthony : 12-30-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #29
Galaril
Pro Starter

I agree with whoever said, as far the volcano goes no reason to worry about something that can't be controlled and I am shocked that 26 people posted in this thread albeit 21 them were about zombies
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #30
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Bravo, QS!

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #31
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

My favorite part is when Ace Winters flies the helicopter completely upside down right above the ground, slicing thousands of zombies in half within seconds, all while giving himself an insulin shot.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #32
chesapeake
College Starter

That was pretty cool.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Excellent book

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
This is why I can't get behind the whole green movement. Like the planet is fragile enough to need our help. I'm just not that arrogant.

Sorry, further threadjacking...

1) The planet will survive. It's a giant mass of rock hurtling through space that will be around until the sun expands and wipes it out in another, oh, 5 billion years. So, yes, the planet is strong enough to survive pretty much anything we could do to it, short of us actively trying to actually destroy said ball of rock- some sort of doomsday device drilling down to the core or smashing Venus into it or something. I'm sure Cobra Commander is working on this as we speak.

2) The planet surviving is not what we should be worried about, see above. Being habitable for human life- that's a bit more important for us. And I'm not sure who that is being arrogant to, if you hold that belief. Dolphins? Other large apes? Maybe you'd like to see algae back as the dominant species. I dunno.

I just don't understand this mentality. Doing environmentally friendly stuff is a good thing. I guess that's unless you're the type of person who posts something anti-environment 4 posts into a thread about something only very loosely related. We know we can survive and even thrive on earth in its current state so we should be worried if we're actively changing it substantially.

We decided to go after the ozone hole problem and it's not as if the world suffered greatly for it. It's not like we used kittens or third world children to patch it up. Our industries didn't all go into the toilet- they adapted. And, frankly, it's easier to change the way we pass around those little green pieces of paper we use as currency than to use them to find a new habitable planet or clean up messes we make on this one.

SI

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #36
Buccaneer
Head Coach

SI, I think part of the backlash has to do with the motivation of some of the environmental activists; namely, being anti-capitalists/corporations and anti-population growth. To them it is not about preserving future sustainability but in destroying the products of man-made greed. Also, it is about reducing population, which is not so bad, but that manifests itself into promoting various measures of population control and in not promoting advances that extends human life.

I have been a long-time conservationist and to me, it is about a positive message to use technologies and innovations, as we have been doing for a long time. It is not about revenge or elitism and those are some of the messages we have been hearing from certain environmental groups, which can be a turn-off.

I recall a National Geographic article not so long ago trumpeting the efforts of one Vermont farmer to be self-sustainable and very earth-friendly. That's cool and somewhat ironic since many in our past used to be that way. But then they went on to promote this as a future model (i.e., everyone should start adopting this lifestyle). We can do that once we get rid of all of those nasty urban centers and all those undesireables that will only mooch on those working for self-sufficiency and sustainability.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #37
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I simply don't think we are as capable of altering the planet, as it relates to our survivability, as much as we like to think.

I don't really care, I'm certainly not anti environment. It's just an observation, I find the rush to be green these days to be humorous. Certainly not harmful or even worth debating(oops).

The irony of it all is I get paid well in large part to cut down on energy consumption in data centers. Which has been in huge demand in recent years.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #38
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I simply don't think we are as capable of altering the planet, as it relates to our survivability, as much as we like to think.

True, but should we not clean our yards because we might die of a heart attack tomorrow?

I think there's two kinds of environmentalism. The first makes sense no matter what....reduce smog, pollute less, destroy less of the natural world. That can all make us happier today.

I agree that the second kind - obsessions with long-term climate change, etc, can get a little silly.

Last edited by molson : 12-31-2008 at 11:37 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #39
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
True, but should we not clean our yards because we might die of a heart attack tomorrow?

I think there's two kinds of environmentalism. The first makes sense no matter what....reduce smog, pollute less, destroy less of the natural world. That can all make us happier today.

I agree that the second kind - obsessions with long-term climate change, etc, can get a little silly.

I think the case for the first is easier for people to swallow if it isn't couched in the hysterics of the second.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #40
QuikSand
lolzcat

By the way, just in case you noticed the serendipity like I did...

Today's zune apocalypse is quite clearly just one small early stage in the coming zombie apocalypse.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #41
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

All of this talk about the zombie apocalypse really has me wanting to blow off the rest of the work day and play lots of Left 4 Dead.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #42
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
By the way, just in case you noticed the serendipity like I did...

Today's zune apocalypse is quite clearly just one small early stage in the coming zombie apocalypse.

This was not lost on me . I had pulled out my copy of World War Z for a second go around yesterday.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not your audiobook copy of World War Z on your Zune, I hope

SI

Old 06-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yeah! Another super volcano to chat about? Anybody want to meet up for a drink before the world ends?

Scientists Say 'Super Volcano' May Be Brewing Beneath Mount St. Helens

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-14-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sweet, I'll be in the front row
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #46
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Sweet, I'll be in the front row

We can likely just cross you out when we do the FOFC Supervolcano roll call to see who's left.