Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Mateo
Mascot

**SPOILER ALERT** (Captain America)

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070307/ap_on_en_ot/captain_america

Quote:
NEW YORK - Captain America has undertaken his last mission — at least for now. The venerable superhero is killed in the issue of his namesake comic that hit stands Wednesday, the Daily News reported.

On the new edition's pages, a sniper shoots down the shield-wielding hero as he leaves a courthouse, according to the newspaper.

I'm not a comic guy, but how fucked up is this? Killing off a super hero who only super power is his patriotism? Long time coming, in my opinion.

Marvel Entertainment
Demise of a Comic Hero
In latest issue, legendary superhero Captain America gets shot down by sniper in front of courthouse.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-07-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not a comic book guy, but I know threads like these have lead to angry masses in the past. I would retitle this thread and add in a spoiler warning incase anyone here happens to read this particular comic book series.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yes please. Spoiler warning!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post

I'm not a comic guy, but how fucked up is this? Killing off a super hero who only super power is his patriotism? Long time coming, in my opinion.

I'm not up on the Marvel story lines, but I assume this is closing up the Civil War storyline that got big media coverage when Spider-Man revealed himself as Peter Parker.

Also, people went nuts when Superman was killed. This won't last, he'll be back before you know it.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

you people and your spoiler warnings. geesh.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thank you for the spoiler warning.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Don't forget to contact CNN about putting a spoiler alert at the top of their website, too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Don't forget to contact CNN about putting a spoiler alert at the top of their website, too.

avoid all contact with civilization until you are sure you know everything. that will avert all spoiling.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

There's no harm in a spoiler tag on something like this. I edited the title to put in a spoiler tag. I don't even read comics, but it seems perfectly fair to put a tag in the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Ksyrup

This site is different, though, because we never discuss current events here, so it's not like you should expect to read about something that's happened recently.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
There's no harm in a spoiler tag on something like this. I edited the title to put in a spoiler tag. I don't even read comics, but it seems perfectly fair to put a tag in the title.

I just like to give the spoiler tag crowd a hard time.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
Ksyrup

There's no harm, but it seems silly to not expect to learn something new when you visit here.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
There's no harm, but it seems silly to not expect to learn something new when you visit here.

This is very different than a current news article. This would be like putting the ending of the next Harry Potter book the day it comes out in the title. Let's use some common sense here - the people that keep up with and read Captain America comics do not want to know the end game before they have a chance to read it - just like anyone that reads a book, particularly a series like Harry Potter.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

edit: wade moore beat me to the point.

Last edited by MikeVic : 03-07-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

"What's the show about?"

"It's about nothing."

"Well, why am I watching it?"

"Because it's on TV."
Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
This site is different, though, because we never discuss current events here, so it's not like you should expect to read about something that's happened recently.
Well played, sir.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #17
Ksyrup

CNN Headline, in the list of news items at the top of the page:

"Shocking Event for Captain America"

This is a news article. And the "we hardly knew ye" comment wasn't any more of a spoiler than CNN's headline.

I have a problem with expecting to be insulated from news items in a forum, in general.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #18
rkmsuf
Head Coach

somebody post some soccer scores
Old 03-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

His only super power is his patriotism? What about the Super-Solider serum that he took that turned him into a perfect specimen of human development and conditioning? Let's also not forget his vibranium-steel fused, nigh indestructible shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I'm not up on the Marvel story lines, but I assume this is closing up the Civil War storyline that got big media coverage when Spider-Man revealed himself as Peter Parker.

Also, people went nuts when Superman was killed. This won't last, he'll be back before you know it.

Quoted for truth.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

0-0
1-0
1-1

Those are the only ones I can think of.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #21
Ksyrup

Quote:

The irony is, I think posting a big ole "SPOILER ALERT" after "WTF - Captain America" pretty much tells you as much as "we hardly knew ye." In fact, it probably draws more attention to it.

Perhaps someone should mod the "Parental Advisory" sticker for use on spoiler threads so they can be as counter-productive as the stickers were on tapes/CDs.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
0-0
1-0
1-1

Those are the only ones I can think of.

Dammit! I taped a bunch of games and those might be the scores!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #23
Ksyrup

In that case, I won't mention the game that ended 2-1.

Whoops!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
In that case, I won't mention the game that ended 2-1.

Whoops!

KKKAAAHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #25
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I have a problem with expecting to be insulated from news items in a forum, in general.

Because a spoiler tag insulates you from this story?

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #26
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is very different than a current news article. This would be like putting the ending of the next Harry Potter book the day it comes out in the title. Let's use some common sense here - the people that keep up with and read Captain America comics do not want to know the end game before they have a chance to read it - just like anyone that reads a book, particularly a series like Harry Potter.

Possibly even the hour it comes out. A lot of comic shops don't get their books out until Wednesday afternoon.

As for the people claiming it's news -- I would not expect CNN to have a headline about Dumbledore dieing (and I'm sure they did not). So readers of Captain America readers should get punished because CNN thinks that Comic Book fans don't deserve the same respect?

Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #27
Ksyrup

Quote:
Because a spoiler tag insulates you from this story?

The implication is that it does, but I think anyone seeing it would already know what the "news" is without the spoiler tag or having to read the thread.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #28
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Possibly even the hour it comes out. A lot of comic shops don't get their books out until Wednesday afternoon.

As for the people claiming it's news -- I would not expect CNN to have a headline about Dumbledore dieing (and I'm sure they did not). So readers of Captain America readers should get punished because CNN thinks that Comic Book fans don't deserve the same respect?

It's a news items, plain and simple. Just like Superman's death was. Perhaps Bumblefuck isn't that big a character in whatever LaLaLand he's from to be sufficiently eye-catching as a stand-alone headline. I don't know, I'm not in marketing/journalism.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #29
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
CNN Headline, in the list of news items at the top of the page:

"Shocking Event for Captain America"

This is a news article. And the "we hardly knew ye" comment wasn't any more of a spoiler than CNN's headline.

There is a difference between news and endings to stories. News comes out of life pretty randomly and with little warning. Ends of stories usually have some kind of warning...like the beginnings and middles of stories. It doesn't seem overly unreasonable to have some kind of notice that you are about to be talking about the end of a recently released movie, book, or TV show. It is a small precaution to placate those that keep up with those things.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #30
Ksyrup

Then take it up with CNN! If it is reported as a news-worthy item, then I don't see how we can be more restrictive about disclosing the "news" than news organizations are.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #31
Ksyrup

And this isn't just limited to CNN. I just Google News'd "captain america." Guess what I found?

Access Hollywood

Marvel Kills Captain America
Associated Content, CO - 25 minutes ago
Captain America, who is the alter ego of Steve Rogers was originally created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. He received his special powers from taking a dose ...
Comic Book Superhero Captain America Dies Associated Content
Captain America Killed Outside Courthouse CBS News
Comic-Book Hero Captain America Dies Access Hollywood
News24 - FOX News
all 231 news articles »
Comic Book Hero Captain America Dies
ABC News - 8 minutes ago
NEW YORK Mar 7, 2007 (AP)— Captain America has undertaken his last mission at least for now. The venerable superhero is killed in the issue of his namesake ...

Report: Comic-book hero Captain America dies on the page
Monterey County Herald, CA - 6 minutes ago
Over the years, an estimated 210 million copies of "Captain America" comic books, published by New York-based Marvel Entertainment Inc., have been sold in a ...

Report: Comic-book hero Captain America dies on the page
KCAU, IA - 8 minutes ago
Captain America was created in 1941 to embody patriotic feeling during World War Two. And over the years, an estimated 210 (m) million copies of `Captain ...

The Death of Captain America
Toon Zone, NY - 6 minutes ago
In Captain America #25, we see Cap (alias Steve Rogers) heading towards the courtroom for defying the Superhero Registration Act, a Sniper shot him in the ...

Fans mourn killing off of Captain America
ImediNews, Georgia - 48 minutes ago
NEW YORK, March 7 (UPI) — Comic book lovers were in mourning Wednesday over Marvel Entertainment's decision to kill off Captain America with two bullets. ...

Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Then take it up with CNN! If it is reported as a news-worthy item, then I don't see how we can be more restrictive about disclosing the "news" than news organizations are.

I'm with you on this one, sizzle chest.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #33
Ksyrup

FWIW, I understand all of your points. But my point is, the cat's out of the bag, and anyone with even a slight interest in the news is likely to accidently discover this information, so being tight-lipped about it here is ridiculous, IMO.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #34
wade moore
lolzcat

Just because CNN does it, doesn't make it right.

BTW - what flavor of ice cream do you like with your spoilers?

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #35
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Maybe because this place is roughly a community and most people in a communitiy will deal with the tiniest bit of inconvenience on behalf of the rest of the community.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #36
Ksyrup

Quote:
Just because CNN does it, doesn't make it right.

BTW - what flavor of ice cream do you like with your spoilers?

Rocky Road.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #37
Ksyrup

Quote:
I'm with you on this one, sizzle chest.

Thanks. I've got your back in the Stall.

Hey wait, that's not exactly what I meant...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #38
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Rocky Road.

I love Rocky Road. So gimme half a gallon and leave me alone.

knives out
Old 03-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #39
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Maybe because this place is roughly a community and most people in a communitiy will deal with the tiniest bit of inconvenience on behalf of the rest of the community.

Like I said above, I don't have a problem with keeping certain information secret - in fact, most people have appreciated the way I've handled spoiler info in the AI thread - but here, it makes no sense. To me, there's a difference between giving away the ending of a new movie that even the critics purposely avoid doing, and reporting a "news item" (whether or not it rightfully should be considered one) that is all over the internet.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #40
st.cronin
General Manager

Hey! I have 10,000 posts! When did that happen?

knives out
Old 03-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #41
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I love Rocky Road. So gimme half a gallon and leave me alone.

Shit, I wish you hadn't told me that. I was going to guess your favorite ice cream, but now you've spoiled it for me. Please place a SPOILER ALERT at the top of your posts before you give away such information in the future. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #42
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
"What's the show about?"

"It's about nothing."

"Well, why am I watching it?"

"Because it's on TV."

Not yet.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #43
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just curious -- what's the big problem with something in the title warning about spoilers? Just seems like common courtesy, and it doesn't suppress any news.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #44
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Just curious -- what's the big problem with something in the title warning about spoilers? Just seems like common courtesy, and it doesn't suppress any news.

I don't have a problem with it, I just find it ridiculous for something that is such a high-profile news item at this point. On any given Sunday afternoon, you'd have to dig further to find a to-the-minute NFL score than to find out that [SPOILER ALERT] Captain America died. IMO, there's an expectation that newsworthy items will be discussed here, and I don't see the need for an automatic alert.

Again, this is in a gray area, because I understand how this news is similar to a movie ending, etc., but at this point - right or wrong - it's being treated like a real-life news story about a courthouse shooting, as opposed to a movie/book review. I get that point and agree. But, as many cliche sports figures have pointed out, "it is what it is."
Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #45
Mateo
Mascot

People please.... let's not fight.

That's not how Cap would want it.

*sniff*
Old 03-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #46
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't have a problem with it, I just find it ridiculous for something that is such a high-profile news item at this point. On any given Sunday afternoon, you'd have to dig further to find a to-the-minute NFL score than to find out that [SPOILER ALERT] Captain America died. IMO, there's an expectation that newsworthy items will be discussed here, and I don't see the need for an automatic alert.

Again, this is in a gray area, because I understand how this news is similar to a movie ending, etc., but at this point - right or wrong - it's being treated like a real-life news story about a courthouse shooting, as opposed to a movie/book review. I get that point and agree. But, as many cliche sports figures have pointed out, "it is what it is."

fwiw, I likely would have had no clue about this story if it wasn't here on FOFC. I don't know how typical or a-typical I am from other FOFCers, but i'd be pretty surprised if I heard about this in my normal day-to-day activities outside of FOFC.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #47
Ksyrup

Quote:
People please.... let's not fight.

That's not how Cap would want it.

*sniff*

Whaddaya mean?! Did something happen to Captain America?!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #48
Mateo
Mascot

I can't decide which arrangement to get
Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #49
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
fwiw, I likely would have had no clue about this story if it wasn't here on FOFC. I don't know how typical or a-typical I am from other FOFCers, but i'd be pretty surprised if I heard about this in my normal day-to-day activities outside of FOFC.

Honestly I get 80% of news from FOFC. The other 20% is from coworkers. I get everything important so I don't even bother with news sites, newspapers or news on television.

(Maybe I should've put a 10% for sports news on ESPN )

Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #50
Ksyrup

Needs more blue.