Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Worst City for televised NFL

I have Sunday Ticket and I rarely have to watch the spoonfed local games but over the weekend I was at my brother's house in Columbia, MO for the Mizzou game (how bout them Tigers!?!) and I ended up being there into Sunday. His weekly choices consist of Kansas City Chiefs games, St. Louis Rams games, and then one more game. Is there any possible worse combination?

I am thinking maybe somewhere in mid-Ohio where you get the Bengals and Browns (and I am a Bengal fan before anyone gets too up in arms). Is there another city with a local player connection who just receives awful games? Maybe somewhere that gets Rams games and Falcon games. I can't top Columbia right now. Anyone worse? Where is the best city?

Last edited by panerd : 09-15-2008 at 09:29 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I have Sunday Ticket and I rarely have to watch the spoonfed local games but over the weekend I was at my brother's house in Columbia, MO for the Mizzou game (how bout them Tigers!?!) and I ended up being there into Sunday. His weekly choices consist of Kansas City Chiefs games, St. Louis Rams games, and then one more game. Is there any possible worse combination?

I am thinking maybe somewhere in mid-Ohio where you get the Bengals and Browns (and I am a Bengal fan before anyone gets too up in arms). Is there another city with a local player connection who just receives awful games? Maybe somewhere that gets Rams games and Falcon games. I can't top Columbia right now. Anyone worse? Where is the best city?

Since you live in St Louis, you know the crappy cjhoices we get.

I got the Rams (cant stand them) for the early game. Then the Jets/Pats for the late game. Thats it. Crappy day.
Unfortunately my daughters play soccer on Sundays so the Sunday ticket would be a waste of money. It saddens me.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I don't live there but I imagine the Bay Area sucks for NFL on local channels, the 49ers and Raiders have been bad for years.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-15-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I live in Oregon, and we have been 'awarded' the Raiders as our AFC/CBS team, because of their proximity (a mere 600 miles), and the Seahawks on the NFC/FOX side. While the Seahawks have been good recently, they're not always entertaining, and half the time they're playing some other shlub from the NFC West, who promise to be even less entertaining, and nowhere near as good, whatever the time or place.

Worst of all, regardless of the quality of the Raiders or the Seahawks, anybody in Oregon who is a sports fan likely has a strong distaste for anything Washington OR California, due to the Pac-10 or the Trailblazers (our only 'real' sports in Oregon), so sticking us with the Raiders and Seahawks is almost a slap in the face...why wouldn't we just want the 'best' game every week? And the NFL probably thinks they're appeasing local fans.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-15-2008 at 09:41 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Here in NW Ohio I get choices between the Lions on Fox and the Browns on CBS usually for the 1 pm game. Then if Im lucky and the Browns have a bye, I usually get the Bungles.

Now they Browns arent as bad as they once were, but still...
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

This season is shaping up to be a horrible viewing season for Kansas City, Columbia, probably Springfield and others. We get the Chiefs games on CBS and the Rams games on Fox. If CBS has a doubleheader we're stuck with an AFC West game, so we'll get more than our fair share of teams we hate. The best games we'll get are national games on Fox that aren't up against the Rams, which means a healthy dose of the Cowboys, thank God.

But when the Chiefs start getting blacked out, in most weeks we'll get the Rams for an early game and an AFC West game late. Yawn.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Whomever gets that Raiders/Niners block probably takes the cake.

I end up getting the Browns every week outta youngstown cause apparently I live in that market per DISH. If they would ban the dual local carrying by the cable companies(and cut off access to the steelers game), the youngstown affiliate would likely show the Steelers a bit more often.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh, yeah
God forbid I go a sunday double header without getting a fucking patriots game.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

You would think LA would be the best, with, supposedly, no ties to teams to take up spots, but the dumbass Raider fans who don't seem to get that the team left for Oakland force me to have to watch the most dysfunctional franchise in sports almost every NFL Sunday.

Fortunately, the Chargers are good now, so the fact we sometimes get them, too, doesn't hurt as much. Of course, when they sell out their games, which they sometimes don't (enough to raise the black out anyway).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
miked
College Starter

We get to see Atlanta, Carolina, Miami, and sometimes Jacksonville. That's right.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Sgran
High School Varsity

Not to get off the point, but i think the 49ers will be 8-8 this year.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but Carolina and Jacksonville aren't that bad (well, Jacksonville wasn't until this year)... and usually get the "big" game of the week, IIRC (like NYJ/NE this weekend... though personally I would have prefered SD/Den).
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
Here in NW Ohio I get choices between the Lions on Fox and the Browns on CBS usually for the 1 pm game. Then if Im lucky and the Browns have a bye, I usually get the Bungles.

Now they Browns arent as bad as they once were, but still...

Believe me, I know that the Chiefs and the Rams are no fun but this has to take the turd sandwich. If there were some way to get the Lions and Bengals, ouch. Unless there was some geographic nightmare of a market that got the Cardinals and Raiders- that might be even worse.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Meh, I just watch Mizzou on Saturday and mow the lawn during the Chiefs/Rams doubleheaders here in KC.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #15
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I, of course, get the Lions every week. Doesn't really matter who comes on at 4, once you've seen the Lions play, 4 to 7 pm is reserved for throwing up.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #16
Rizon
Pro Starter

The Bay Area ... a lot of the time the only Sunday games we get are the Niners and Raiders, and of course the night game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, but Carolina and Jacksonville aren't that bad (well, Jacksonville wasn't until this year)... and usually get the "big" game of the week, IIRC (like NYJ/NE this weekend... though personally I would have prefered SD/Den).

True, but Jax and Car aren't known for their exciting offenses. Although, we do get NO from time to time. This week wasn't terrible as we did get the Jets game.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #18
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I live in Oregon, and we have been 'awarded' the Raiders as our AFC/CBS team, because of their proximity (a mere 600 miles), and the Seahawks on the NFC/FOX side. While the Seahawks have been good recently, they're not always entertaining, and half the time they're playing some other shlub from the NFC West, who promise to be even less entertaining, and nowhere near as good, whatever the time or place.

Worst of all, regardless of the quality of the Raiders or the Seahawks, anybody in Oregon who is a sports fan likely has a strong distaste for anything Washington OR California, due to the Pac-10 or the Trailblazers (our only 'real' sports in Oregon), so sticking us with the Raiders and Seahawks is almost a slap in the face...why wouldn't we just want the 'best' game every week? And the NFL probably thinks they're appeasing local fans.

All of that is countered by the fact that you get football at 10 AM. I miss Oregon (11 AM in Idaho isn't quite the same).

I think every single part of the country has a "local" teams in each conferences. Boise is assigned the Broncos and Seahawks, but it doesn't seem like a strict rule here (we were scheduled for Broncos/Chargers in the middle of the week, but it was switched to Pats/Jets by the end of the week).

Last edited by molson : 09-16-2008 at 10:26 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
Subby
lolzcat

Anybody that has to contend with the CBS HD signal every week has it bad.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #20
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I believe Mobile has Falcons and Saints, although usually one is hot while the other isn;t. Miami/Tampa isn;t exactly a winning combination right now. Tampa is stuck playing yucky teams with yucky players and coaches, although they do well occasionally, they are boring to watch.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #21
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I just realized that I have spent seven years of NFL watching with a Lions game almost every week, and I don;t even like the Lions. Ick.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #22
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think I need to go bathe or something.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
korme
Go Reds

Bengals, which is great until I realized how much I loathe everything about this team right now. I'm so depressed.

But, I suggest if anyone doesn't like their choices, just go to Bdubs. I went for Week 1, and the Bengals/Ravens, Lions/Falcons, Pats/Chiefs, Steelers/whoevertheydemolished, were all on at 1 pm. And basically if any other random fan walked in, there was a tv available to switch 'their' game to.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote