Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The Office Season 4

From the Season 3 thread..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I guess a new thread should be started, but I just wanted to say that tonight's season premiere is brilliant so far. At least a half dozen great quotable lines already.

I concur. Awesome so far.

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

*thumbs up*
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
*thumbs up*

Agreed. Very strong episode to kick off the season. So many great lines in this episode.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I liked it, but sometimes it feels like these hour long episodes are stretched a bit thin.

Agreed.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Best show on TV today. I was dying all through that episode.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #6
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Awesome 1st episode.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm wondering if the fans who have been all about the Jim and Pam romance will check out shortly, now that they've finally gotten what they wanted. I mean, there's so much more to watch this show for, but I get a sense that a lot of people watched it in they same way they watched Friends (I never watched Friends) for the whole "Ross/Rachel" thing....I was reading the televisionwithoutpity, and a lot of people were skeeved out by nipple chafing, but at the same time satiated by the jim and pam consummation..I don't know if I can see the show keeping those fans.

Hopefully it won't matter either way. Best sit-com on American TV since Seinfeld.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:20 AM   #8
Hammer
College Prospect

Do you guys get the original English version over there with Ricky Gervais? Its superb. I'd love to see how your version compared.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I'm wondering if the fans who have been all about the Jim and Pam romance will check out shortly, now that they've finally gotten what they wanted. I mean, there's so much more to watch this show for, but I get a sense that a lot of people watched it in they same way they watched Friends (I never watched Friends) for the whole "Ross/Rachel" thing....I was reading the televisionwithoutpity, and a lot of people were skeeved out by nipple chafing, but at the same time satiated by the jim and pam consummation..I don't know if I can see the show keeping those fans.

Hopefully it won't matter either way. Best sit-com on American TV since Seinfeld.

they wont stay together. the push/pull relationship in tv is a well worn path.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Agreed.

Me too.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I spent most of the summer catching up with all the old episodes on DVD. I think this is probably the funniest show I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

That said, I didn't like the first episode of the season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Is this the "Official" thread? I'd hate to post in an outlaw discussion....
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Do you guys get the original English version over there with Ricky Gervais? Its superb. I'd love to see how your version compared.

I think most fans of the U.S. version have watched the English version. I watched the English version first and actually didn't watch the U.S. version for the first two years or so, figuring it couldn't compare. I was wrong. Very, very wrong.

I can't take anything away from the original. I loved it. It's hilarious. The Christmas Special was one of the finest couple of hours of TV I've watched.

That said, I think the U.S. version has surpassed it. A lot of that has to do with the fact that it's been running 3 seasons, a ton of episodes, as opposed to just having 12 episodes and the special. It's given the show the ability to really develop a lot of the "minor" characters, which just add a ton of great moments. It's not quite as dark either, mainly because of the differences between Ricky Gervais and Steve Carrel.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

I love the show, but thought the premiere was just okay. I did like the Hindu/Buddha discussion, though. And, I think it set things up for an Dwight-Angela-Andy love triangle, which should be fun during the season.

Was it just me, or did Andy not speak, at all, during the first half of the episode? I thought they were going to suspect that he had lockjaw or something, but then he started talking again.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

You left your TV on... and your cat's dead.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I love the show, but thought the premiere was just okay. I did like the Hindu/Buddha discussion, though.

I thought that was the funniest exchange of the episode.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

I enjoyed the episode.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As I posted in the other thread:

Quote:
The first ten minutes had me rolling. The rest of the show was great as well... though the first half hour was amazingly good.

Michael Scott is the best character ever. And I knew Dwight did what he did, but I couldn't believe they'd (the show's writers) would make him do that!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
It's funny, because I get into this argument with my friend all the time, but I love this show *in spite* of Michael and Dwight. Their antics are just too unbelievable and a little repetitive.

I keep watching for Toby, Ryan, Creed, Kevin, Phyllis, Stanley, and Daryl.

I still find Dwight funny, but some of the things Michael does just annoy the hell out of me/piss me off. I'm sure I complained about it in last season's thread.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

Dola,

I liked how Kevin and Carlos (err I forget his name... the gay Mexican that left and then came back) had numerous exchanges about whether or not PB & J (love it!) are an item or not.

I also liked Creed living up to his weirdness. Knew more than half a dozen types of painkillers, entered in the 75+ running category so he could win, was in and lead numerous cults... LOL.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I still find Dwight funny, but some of the things Michael does just annoy the hell out of me/piss me off. I'm sure I complained about it in last season's thread.

But, Michael is redeemed by the fact that he does do genuinely nice things for people. Contrasted to, say, David Brent of the UK's Office. In the last episode, Michael did feel really bad, so he decided he'd run without any water (dehydrating himself badly) to show sympathy. But he is a total moron at times. He just isn't purposely mean to others (unlike... Dwight).
Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I liked how Kevin and Carlos

Oscar.

---

Oh, and I think this episode seemed a bit streached. Like they were trying to fill the hour. I remember we had a discussion whether The Office would be better as an hour long comedy or 30 minutes. I think episodes like this show the 30 min format is much better.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #23
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
But, Michael is redeemed by the fact that he does do genuinely nice things for people. Contrasted to, say, David Brent of the UK's Office. In the last episode, Michael did feel really bad, so he decided he'd run without any water (dehydrating himself badly) to show sympathy. But he is a total moron at times. He just isn't purposely mean to others (unlike... Dwight).

Oh, the not-knowing meanness is funny. It's just some stuff he does sometimes is so out there that I hate it. I can't remember what it was from last season, but I know there were things he did that were just plain dumb. He redeems himself in my eyes by being a really good salesman. I still love how Jim and him got that new sale, and becoming Staples' supplier or something like that.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #24
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oscar.

---

Oh, and I think this episode seemed a bit streached. Like they were trying to fill the hour. I remember we had a discussion whether The Office would be better as an hour long comedy or 30 minutes. I think episodes like this show the 30 min format is much better.

Ah, Oscar. I forget names. I was listening to some Desperate Housewives preview on the radio and couldn't get the name Carlos out of my head when trying to think of Oscar's name.

It seemed like just before the fun run is when the episode should have ended.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Oh, the not-knowing meanness is funny. It's just some stuff he does sometimes is so out there that I hate it. I can't remember what it was from last season, but I know there were things he did that were just plain dumb. He redeems himself in my eyes by being a really good salesman. I still love how Jim and him got that new sale, and becoming Staples' supplier or something like that.

I noticed sometime in the 2nd season that how Michael comes across depends on who wrote that episode. I forget which was which, but I remember when one of the writers (I think it's the guy that plays Ryan) does an episode Michael comes across as a complete idiot, but when another one of the writers (I think it's the woman that plays Kelly) does an episode, Michael is more realistic and considerate.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #26
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I disagree about the episode feeling stretched. I've always loved the hour long episodes. The only two they've done in the past (Benihana Christmas, The Job) are two of my favorites of the series. This wasn't quite up to those standards, but it wasn't because it was an hour long.

If anything, I think the show needs to be an hour long. They have so many characters that some don't really get to see the light of day. Meredith was barely visible for much of last season. If you check out the deleted scenes on the DVD, there is so much great material that they have to cut in every single episode.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I actually think this should would have been amazing (well, even more amazing) if it was clipped to a half hour. The second half hour was far less funny than the first half hour, IMO.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #28
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

I think it's actually quite the opposite. The Jim/Pam fans couldn't be happier now. They weren't watching just to see them "get together". They wanted to see them be together. They were extremely frustrated last season during all the angst. Now they've got what they want they certainly aren't going to check out. Also, Friends seems to be a bad example since it lasted 10 years and Ross/Rachel got together in season 2.

One thing that bugged me about the UK version, was, yes Tim and Dawn got together, but we never got to see any of their relationship. I'm glad they finally put them together. It was starting to get unrealistic for them to stay apart. We've waited long enough.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think Pam or Jim has to do something bad that makes their relationship push apart a bit and leave some of that angst, because in order to make up for it, they may decide to push Michael even further to crazy. Then again, they may focus more on the Dwight-Angela dynamic.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #30
Joe
Pro Starter

was this really an hour episode? it seemed like two half hour episodes put together to me.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #31
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
was this really an hour episode? it seemed like two half hour episodes put together to me.
It was.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #32
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
It's funny, because I get into this argument with my friend all the time, but I love this show *in spite* of Michael and Dwight. Their antics are just too unbelievable and a little repetitive.

I keep watching for Toby, Ryan, Creed, Kevin, Phyllis, Stanley, and Daryl.

not sure that I'd go that far, but I too find Michael to be a little much at times and would prefer less of him and more of the supporting cast. I felt the same way about the UK Office. Both David Brent and Michael Scott are funny characters, but the schtick gets a little tiresome at times. Seriously, is there no other plot device available other than uncomfortable impromptu meetings in the conference room?
Old 09-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #33
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

They wrote it as two half hour episodes, but they knew they would be shown together.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #34
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
not sure that I'd go that far, but I too find Michael to be a little much at times and would prefer less of him and more of the supporting cast. I felt the same way about the UK Office. Both David Brent and Michael Scott are funny characters, but the schtick gets a little tiresome at times. Seriously, is there no other plot device available other than uncomfortable impromptu meetings in the conference room?

I'm with you. The Michael Scott character that showed flashes of competence in the earlier seasons has all but vanished. Now he's not just a bad boss, he's a complete wreck of a human being. I find myself cringing at him rather than laughing, and his character actually makes the show much less believable than it would be otherwise.

The subtle humor of The Office is what I really like, but you never really get that with the Michael Scott character.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #35
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Eh - I enjoy it. I think despite everything else, Michael is a good guy, and it shows (from the art show - which have been one of the most touching moments of the entire series, to the fact that he organized the run, because in his own idiotic way, he was trying to do something good). Yeah, it gets a little outrageous at times, but its not at David Brent levels yet/
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:20 AM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Exactly... the "Run" was him trying to do good... in his own way. It was moronic, yes... but you could tell he did feel bad for what he did (otherwise he would have drunk some water on the way).
Old 09-29-2007, 12:51 AM   #37
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

I think Michael Scott being such a moron fits perfectly. Most of us have been in a situation where you look at the big boss and think "how in the heck did this guy get to be the numero uno".
Old 09-29-2007, 01:25 AM   #38
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I'm with you. The Michael Scott character that showed flashes of competence in the earlier seasons has all but vanished. Now he's not just a bad boss, he's a complete wreck of a human being. I find myself cringing at him rather than laughing, and his character actually makes the show much less believable than it would be otherwise.

The subtle humor of The Office is what I really like, but you never really get that with the Michael Scott character.

Agreed. I have actually been worried at times that they would try to push some of the Michael Scott stuff too far and ruin the show for me. Maintaining the believability is the key to the show, and he crosses the line more than any other character. Dwight does from time to time, too.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #39
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post

Agreed. Michael has some great lines and moments of genius, but even those are subtler moments. Many of his long, diatribes aren't nearly as funny.

It gets even worse whenever he actually leaves the "Office".
Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #40
saldana
Pro Starter

i think the problem's with michael's character become more pronounced when the whole episode is about him and only him doing something, instead of just commenting on something else going on in the office or involving other people...i agree some of the episodes have been off the hook stupidity (the wedding episode was awful), because no one could actually ever be that stupid.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #41
Daimyo
College Starter

I didn't mind the hour episode because it seemed obvious it was originally intended as two self contained 30 minute episodes that just got shown together.

The only time I really felt the Michael character crossed the line into unbelievability was the wedding episode... and that was easily the worst of the series.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #42
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think Michael's over the top-ness was at its peak (nadir?) in Diversity Day, which was the 2nd episode. I don't think anything, not even the wedding episode, was as bad as that.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #43
Andiamo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
they wont stay together. the push/pull relationship in tv is a well worn path.

Yea I wonder if it will be Jim or Pam that Fs it up
Old 10-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #44
Butter
Coordinator

Computers will murder you by driving you into lakes.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #45
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How is lying to you that I am pregnant a bad thing?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #46
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

"We can never get back together. EVER"
"Why not?!"

I almost spit my coke at that line. I was literally rolling!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #47
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

“It’s a feral barn cat. I captured him last night. His name is Garbage.”

“Garbage can be very helpful. He killed an entire family of raccoons.”

"He smells like what I think Prierce Brosnan probably smells like."
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #48
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

What have we learned? You can't teach an old dog new tricks, because it's illegal. And you will go to jail.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #49
SunDevil
College Prospect

Where are the turtles. Give me the turtles.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #50
Swaggs
Coordinator

My favorite part was Creed's dye job and the camera work on his entrance.

I bet some folks missed this, but I loved the part in the meeting, where Michael said that the printer was out of ink, and then they panned to Creed's dye job.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote