Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

A New Target For the Yankees

MIAMI -- One of Cuba's top pitchers defected in an undisclosed country so he can begin playing professionally in the United States, a Cuban exile leader said Friday.

Maels Rodriguez and another player, Yobal Duenas, were reported missing by Cuban authorities Saturday.

The Miami Herald speculated that the pair might be in El Salvador.

"They're safe," said Joe Garcia, executive director of the Cuban American National Foundation. He declined further comment.

If the players seek political asylum or residency outside the United States, they most likely will be declared free agents by Major League Baseball and be able to sign with any team.

The players' Miami-based agent, Henry Vilar, did not return telephone messages Friday.

Rodriguez, a 24-year-old right-hander, is one of Cuba's top pitchers and his fastball is said to regularly top 100 mph.

"I want to play the best baseball, and that's in the United States," Rodriguez said. "It's a difficult step because you know how things are in Cuba. So when Yobal and I made this decision, it was the most important one in our careers."

Rodriguez set the single-season strikeout record in Cuba with 263 in 178 1/3 innings three years ago. This season, he was 8-3 in 113 innings with 117 strikeouts and an ERA of 3.11. Cuban officials left him off the Pan American Games and Olympic qualifying teams, blaming arm and back injuries for the loss of 15 mph off his fastball.

"I'm going to demonstrate that I can still throw 100," Rodriguez said Thursday on Miami Spanish-language radio station WQBA-AM. "These are things that they invent to cut a little off the careers of some athletes."

Duenas, a second baseman, is a former Cuban stolen base champion. At 31, he is on the down side of a career in which he debuted with the Cuban national league at 17.

So, in the "Cuban age converter," this guy is what, not a day older than 36?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:08 PM   #2
Bing
n00b

Rodriguez is probably really 38
Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

You know, I've wondered why international players aren't subject to draft rules like anyone else. At least some kind of suplemental draft. A team like the Yankees has such a huge advantage over any other team in this respect.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
You know, I've wondered why international players aren't subject to draft rules like anyone else. At least some kind of suplemental draft. A team like the Yankees has such a huge advantage over any other team in this respect.

Exactlly. It's not fair. Bud Selig has to do something about this. To protect teams from overpaying these athletes as well. Didn't the Yanks pay like $30M for some 3B?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Because it's an issue the player's union would have to agree on, and they won't. I think this was one of the draft-related issues that was supposed to be addressed during the 2002 "showdown to shutdown," but they agreed on enough to prevent cancellation of the season, and those issues got put on the back-burner.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I like how they slip in the Cubans say his fastball lost 15 mph and the guy swears it's propaganda. Will be interesting to see what he can really throw.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:39 PM   #7
KevinNU7
College Starter

Let's see here... Hey probably never threw 100, more like 95. And instead of 15 MPH loss he's probably lost half of that, so he probably throws in the 87-88 range.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
I like how they slip in the Cubans say his fastball lost 15 mph and the guy swears it's propaganda. Will be interesting to see what he can really throw.

I can believe the Cubans saying this. They ight think that there will be less deand for him outside of the country and people may not be so willing to help just an average cuban guy who will go to work some middle of the road job as they would a guy they can cash in on. Also, keeping him off the national teams means he won't leave the country and can't slip out of the hotel in the iddle of the night...............

..........all that said, it didn't work i guess....
Old 10-31-2003, 03:07 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cringer
I can believe the Cubans saying this. They ight think that there will be less deand for him outside of the country and people may not be so willing to help just an average cuban guy who will go to work some middle of the road job as they would a guy they can cash in on. Also, keeping him off the national teams means he won't leave the country and can't slip out of the hotel in the iddle of the night...............

..........all that said, it didn't work i guess....

To me it seemed like a reason for holding him out of the tourny when they didn't want him to go because of risks of him defecting.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 06:40 PM   #10
oykib
College Starter

The draft doesn't help small market teams in baseball. For Football and Basketball, where prospects are much more predictable, a draft makes sense.

But the draft gives rich teams even more of an advantage. While there are some phenoms that everyone knows will likely be good. Most of your players come from much lower rounds. The truth is that the poorer teams would be better served by building baseball acadmies and signing guys young, for beans.

The Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Red Sox, et al. can only sign so many bonus babies. Once that noise has cleared out, a smart GM could really get to work. The current rules that preclude you from trading draft picks is also not helpful.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote