Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2003, 08:45 AM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thumbs up A real-life TCY Moment

There I was, driving to work this morning, listening to the FanSports talk radio, when real life collided with my TCY alter-ego.

Each week, they have a Missouri high school football expert on to highlight the games of the week and talk about recruiting. The guy is very knowledgeable, and it’s always an interesting listen. Today, however, it really seemed to hit home. He was talking about the University of Missouri and how well their recruiting was going, and the radio host asked him specifically about quarterbacks. The guy replied that Mizzou was in the hunt for both highly-touted Jarius Jackson of Webster Groves and a kid named Brock(?) Patton, who I believe is the #1 QB in the state. He stated that Jackson was visiting Kentucky and that Rich Brooks, the head coach, was trying make in-roads into the St. Louis area due to his previous connections with the Rams.

What followed was the heavy TCY stuff. He talked about how Mizzou had put all of their eggs in one basket with a blue-chip running back recruit last year (named Maroney, or something like that), thinking that “the planets had aligned” and they had him locked up, but he then signed with Minnesota. Gee, that never happens to me in TCY. Then the guy said that Mizzou was playing a game of chicken with the two stud QBs, trying to hold out interest in both until one declares their signing choice. Playing both sides. Again, very familiar stuff.

I realize that this stuff happens all the time in the recruiting efforts each year, but it just really struck me when I heard it being discussed on the radio. I was livin’ the dream.

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:02 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good stuff about Patton. I know he likes UCLA, but UCLA is a bit apprehensive about him still
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:21 AM   #3
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

A Quarterback named "Brock" something...sounds like this kid could do some damage then ;-)
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Re: A real-life TCY Moment

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
He talked about how Mizzou had put all of their eggs in one basket with a blue-chip running back recruit last year (named Maroney, or something like that), thinking that “the planets had aligned” and they had him locked up, but he then signed with Minnesota.

Maroney's been playing fairly well this year. Moved up to the #2 running back over Terry Jackson who ran for more than a thousand yards last year. He's run for 662 and 7 TDs so far on 90 carries (Barber has 888 yards and 15 TDs while starting).

I must say, I'm quite happy with Mizzou dropping the ball on Maroney.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-31-2003 at 11:05 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Re: Re: A real-life TCY Moment

Hmmm. I wonder what the "athletic development" rating was for Maroney's high school?

Seriously, though, it's intriguing to think what TCY-type factors might have influenced Maroney's choice of Minnesota over Missouri. Any insights on that mckerney?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

No idea. If I were him I would have played for Mizzou.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:58 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You mean Chase Patton.

QB Phenom - Chase Patton

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

1) Mizzou can never go wrong with a QB from Columbia. OK, so Corby Jones went to Hickman, not Rock Bridge. Doesn't matter. I remember watching a Hickman/Rock Bridge game that went into overtime that Corby played pretty much the way he did that afternoon against Nebraska -- it was all him.

2) I finally know where AJ Ofodile landed. He was automatic as a tightend in college. I was always disappointed he didn't stick in the NFL, but I did get to see him play in an exhibition game for Buffalo at Arrowhead.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Re: Re: A real-life TCY Moment

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney

Maroney's been playing fairly well this year. Moved up to the #2 running back over Terry Jackson who ran for more than a thousand yards last year. He's run for 662 and 7 TDs so far on 90 carries (Barber has 888 yards and 15 TDs while starting).

I must say, I'm quite happy with Mizzou dropping the ball on Maroney.

Look at that. ANOTHER example of Illinois and how badly they suck this year.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #10
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I was really hoping that the gophers would redshirt Maroney. But it has turned out pretty good with him in there as number two. The one that hurt though was the QB out of Ill. that didn't sign. I don't know what they are going to do after Khaliq. I still like him way better than you Mckerney. Although he is no travis cole.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:31 PM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

The line today:

Laurence Maroney 19 Att., 165 Yards, 1 TD

I was against Indiana with Minn. running for 433 total yards, so I wouldn't read too much into it.