Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Fraudulent Beanie Babies

This is a follow up to the Funny Ebay Thread someone posted the other day.

Enjoy

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So, you buy Beanies at a discounted price because the seller claims that he does not know if they are counterfit. Then, when they turn out to be counterfit, you try to get your money back. I can only assume that the buyer, had these Beanies been genuine, would not have sent the surplus to the seller.

Consumer protection laws, in general, are necessary. Everything I know about this situation makes me hope that this guy is not busted for anything. However, perhaps he could get the Feds after his ex-wife for trafficing in counterfits.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:52 PM   #3
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I find it extremely funny that she demanded he cancel the auction beacause of the high odds of the valuable ones being fake and then uses a second Ebay (didn't think you were allowed more than one) account to but them anyway after he blocks her first account.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:56 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

I can see this person's point, in that all she asked him for was a date on the tag so she could at least see if it was counterfeit or not by that, and he responded abusivly (If that indeed happened).

But, she had reason to beleive that they were counterfeits anyway, she bid on them and won. She knew what she was getting into and, IMO, tough shit.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

Nyarlahotep, I found that pretty funny too.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai

But, she had reason to beleive that they were counterfeits anyway, she bid on them and won. She knew what she was getting into and, IMO, tough shit.

Exactly.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:46 PM   #7
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

More follow up from ebay Steve AKA the Drunken Sailor:
ebay link :

Dear friends of the Drunken Sailor,
I wanted to take sometime to thank each of your for the 1000’s of wonderful emails you have all sent me, praising my auction and telling me how funny you thought it was. Now even though I did say I did not want to get any emails, I smile each time one arrives. This little auction has been featured on Nationally syndicated Radio Shows and across the globe on chat lines, and has up till now already been clicked on 350,000 times! GULP!

The description for the latest auction is hilarious and the count on the original auction is now almost 700,000 hits.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Final Notice and Disclaimer: I know nothing about these stuffed Beanie Babies. I offer no proof of anything. It is a stuffed animal, get over it! I don't think my ex-wife was in the Black Market Beanie Trade..but then again, I didn't know she was having an affair either! Thus no gauruntees! All have theior little Heart Shaped tags on their ears.

I'd say from this qoute that the lady has no chance of getting her money back. He never promised once that these were real, so she has absolutely no recourse that I can see.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-30-2003 at 06:53 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:54 PM   #9
Schmidty
Coordinator

The lady is a moron, but the guy is an even worse jackass. I hope he drinks some of that beer while he's using his power tools.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:54 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

The problem is, according to the website posted above, it's still illegal, regardless of any disclaimers he puts. Knowingly or unknowingly putting a counterfeit anything into the marketplace is against the law. (According to website posted above)
Old 10-30-2003, 07:18 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Did anyone else come to the conclusion that the wife knew these were counterfeit and purposely left them with him, knowing that he was active on Ebay and would try to sell them? She gets the last laugh if anything comes of it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:40 PM   #12
Blackadar
Retired

My guess is that the account has been hijacked and is now being used by a thief. Pretty common on EBay.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:44 PM   #13
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Of course you realize the only reason I even looked at this thread was to rag on whoever posted it.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:10 AM   #14
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
The problem is, according to the website posted above, it's still illegal, regardless of any disclaimers he puts. Knowingly or unknowingly putting a counterfeit anything into the marketplace is against the law. (According to website posted above)

Correct. This guy seems like a clueless, disgruntled husband, but who's to say this is not an elaborate scheme to sell counterfeit beanie babies? Even if its not, I bet there are thousands of people out there now who are thinking about how they can use this guy's idea. If they don't prosecute this guy, its just going to open the floodgates.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:33 AM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Well, I just cannot take that site seriously as a source of information. They may be right, but from my experience, even legitimate collection agencies will tell you anything, including lies about any relevant laws, to get you to pay. This traderlist seems to be like a small time, internet collection agency for the masses. Since lies on the internet seem to run 10 times that of real life, I cannot imagine what kind of ethics an internet based collection agency might have.

I do find humorous this woman's claims that she was "between a rock and a hard place" in deciding whether or not to bid. Huh? How were you in any way forced to bid? What horrible thing happens if these items are real and you don't get them?

I am however, now desperately trying to come up with an idea in which I can make products for virtually nothing, and find some way to artificially inflate their value. If the idea really takes off, I may counterfeit myself, thus increasing the value of the 'real' items.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:41 AM   #16
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Talking

I read the tittle of this thread as FLATULENT Beanie Babies.

Scary mental image there for a second...
fantastic flying froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:37 PM   #17
Balldog
Pro Rookie

This guy seems to be a business guru.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=2960761236
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 05:49 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

"Well, I just cannot take that site seriously as a source of information. They may be right, but from my experience, even legitimate collection agencies will tell you anything, including lies about any relevant laws, to get you to pay. "

Right. I was wondering if any of the lawyers in the crowd could shed some light on this.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:57 PM   #19
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I have been told by a friend that if you actually follow the links in the threatening email, they display a set of laws. Those laws apparently make it pretty clear, you have to knowingly misrepresent the counterfeit items as genuine. Now keep in mind that my friend isn't a lawyer, but he has been sued.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:15 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think he ever claimed they were "Ty" Beanie Babies, just Beanie Babies. He said they had a heart shaped tag too

Then again, what do I kjow
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:17 PM   #21
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
I dont think he ever claimed they were "Ty" Beanie Babies, just Beanie Babies. He said they had a heart shaped tag too

Then again, what do I kjow

It was you, wasn't it?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:29 PM   #22
MrBug708
Head Coach

Heh. Why would I EVER sell my Beanie Babies for that little amount of cash
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:51 PM   #23
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Heh. Why would I EVER sell my Beanie Babies for that little amount of cash

I feel the same way about Marmel's sperm.