Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

It's the end of the month...

...weren't we promised something around now? I hope we can get our first taste of the game in next couple of days.

Old 10-30-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
Hands to the Face
n00b

No need to get your knickers in a twist. . .
Old 10-30-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

From the Solecismic web site:

Quote:
We will have screen shots for Front Office Football 2004 available by the end of the month.
Quote:
We will have a demo of Front Office Football 2004 available most likely by the end of October.
I, for one, would much rather Jim focus on coding the game and hammering out bugs and tweaks to get it ready for release, and THEN worry about screen shots and a demo.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I, for one, would much rather Jim focus on coding the game and hammering out bugs and tweaks to get it ready for release, and THEN worry about screen shots and a demo.

Though I totally agree with you, SkyDog, shouldn't it be pretty easy to throw some screenshots out there? Unless he's planning on changing the interface before release...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He has to get a universe up with fake players in order to post the screen shots. And it probably takes longer to get just the right one than we realize (i.e.--You wait for a screenshot where there are 3 stud QBs from whom to choose at the top of the draft--not one where there are 2 kick-ass guards and a punter).
Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Though I totally agree with you, SkyDog, shouldn't it be pretty easy to throw some screenshots out there? Unless he's planning on changing the interface before release...

I believe Jim said that the reason there are no screen shots is because he's got real player names in the game right now, and he needs to re-name the guys before he takes screen shots.

That sounds like a tedious and time consuming process, and it's basically a cosmetic touch. It's a low priority, and, hence, so are the screen shots.

Besides, what are you expecting to see? From what everyone's said, it looks pretty much just like FOF4, just with some new features added in. I don't care if there are ever any screen shots, because I will probably never bother to look at them. The features of the game and the opinion of the folks here who get to review it are what's selling it to me - not what the interface looks like.

Bottom line... screen shots are like going to a nudie bar. Sure, they might be nice to look at, but in the end you're disappointed, because you're still going to have to go home alone and just masturbate while thinking about it.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 AM   #7
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Well, I don't know Jim's beta process. I do know that if it is similar to Shaun's, there simply might not be time for anything but coding and reading feedback. (I was very surprised that he was willing and able to do a Q&A. As much as I argued against it in the distant past, I now see that is one of the many advantages of "it will be released when it is ready.") On the Puresim beta, there was a full new start-a-new-career beta build coming out just about every 12-18 hours for 2-3 weeks if I recall, and that was without a named release date to meet.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Bottom line... screen shots are like going to a nudie bar. Sure, they might be nice to look at, but in the end you're disappointed, because you're still going to have to go home alone and just masturbate while thinking about it.
That brought a tear to my eye. I love FOFC.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-30-2003 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
Vince
Pro Starter

Good points all...I forgot about the fake player names.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait to see this game, but I agree with others, I'd much rather see the bugs and tweaks worked out before a demo is released. That being said, I hope it is ready for release soon
Old 10-30-2003, 12:33 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Especially when the demo, if it's like the previous FOF demos, won't get into the couple of major areas that have been changed. Just play the FOF4 demo if you're jonesin' for an FOF demo.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-30-2003, 12:49 PM   #12
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Good points. I just think if Jim says he will have these things by a certain time I would tend to believe he wouldn't let us down. And if we arent going to get some screenshots and a demo because he need to really work on improving the code and all of that, I hope he lets us all know!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

I believe Jim has said a couple times that screenshots and the demo aren't high on his priority list. He'll try to get them out by the end of the month, but I would say he's been pretty up front that it might not happen.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:53 PM   #14
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Oh ok. I must not of picked up on that. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:22 PM   #15
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Seems like the latest trend in sports sims is not meeting deadlines. Why not just not announce one? Just be vague about when things are coming out instead of giving specific dates. I think its a marketting tactic to bring hype to a release.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:25 PM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Especially when the demo, if it's like the previous FOF demos, won't get into the couple of major areas that have been changed. Just play the FOF4 demo if you're jonesin' for an FOF demo.

I think the same, if the interface is the same than FOF4 and the best improvements are on the draft and FA and knowing that the beta only allows you to play 2 weeks, where is the point on a demo? will be the same demo than for FOF4 as in two weeks you can't see the changes made. The same goes for the screenshots, i don't think anything will surprise us. Insted of that i preffer Jim to use that time to bring us the game asap.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:37 PM   #17
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by pjstp20
I think its a marketting tactic to bring hype to a release.

I would also have to agree with this point.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:23 AM   #18
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm not trying to let people down. I'm just trying to concentrate on what needs to take priority right now.

Screen shots and a demo won't be long now. I'll go back to the "few days" comment. "Few" being a much smaller number than last time.

Here's one... in time for the deadline. I hope people intending to run a league like it.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:26 AM   #19
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic
I'm not trying to let people down. I'm just trying to concentrate on what needs to take priority right now.

Screen shots and a demo won't be long now. I'll go back to the "few days" comment. "Few" being a much smaller number than last time.

Here's one... in time for the deadline. I hope people intending to run a league like it.

Cool. Thanks Jim.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:32 AM   #20
FBPro
College Starter

Thanks Jim, still ready and waiting.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
Old 10-31-2003, 08:08 AM   #21
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic

Nice! So from this, it appears that we can move teams anywhere we choose, with location consequences such as weather and fan base becoming a factor. Or (probably will be done more often in multi leagues), we could move all 32 teams to NYC so everyone has a level playing field financially...
Old 10-31-2003, 08:12 AM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh.....oh my. This is....well, this is fantastic if it means what I think it means!
Old 10-31-2003, 08:14 AM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Oh.....oh my. This is....well, this is fantastic if it means what I think it means!
Care to elucidate?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:17 AM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Basically what you had already said....just excited about it
Old 10-31-2003, 08:24 AM   #25
Dutch
"Dutch"

Are you referring to the fact that Jim is now using techni-color on his game screens! I know, me too! This is great!!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 08:29 AM   #26
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That one screenshot appears to have come from a feature in TCY so it's a nice thing to have in FOF.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:23 AM   #27
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Very cool. Change all of the cities, keep the fake names, run a new draft at the beginning, and you'll have as close to a real fictional start as has ever been possible in FOF (without having to go through the OPU mess, which never quite worked for me).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-31-2003, 01:43 PM   #28
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Thanks Jim! Looking forward to future shots!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:47 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Nice screenshot... I'm going to print it off and take it to the bathroom with me right now...
Old 10-31-2003, 01:52 PM   #30
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I know I've had some dispute with folks about getting this game and have been down on it, but this if this little teaser promises more of what I think, I may very well flip flop and be all over this. The chance to change cities offers much greater flexibility than in the past and is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I consider myself a potential convert.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:57 PM   #31
mckerney
Coordinator

Any ability to edit starting stadiums?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:06 PM   #32
sabotai
General Manager

Wow, a background pic for the form. Nice.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:18 PM   #33
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Nice screenshot... I'm going to print it off and take it to the bathroom with me right now...

Man Franklinnoble, is whackin' off all you think about?!?
Old 10-31-2003, 06:21 PM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by mtaystl03

You make it sound like a bad thing...
Old 10-31-2003, 07:02 PM   #35
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mtaystl03

That's all anyone on this board thinks about.

Well, that and trout.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:58 AM   #36
Ben E Lou

For those still checking this thread, the screen shots are now posted. Click HERE for more info.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-01-2003 at 06:59 AM.
Closed Thread