Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Wonder Bear
n00b

NYY - The Bronx is Burning...again (OOTP 8)

EDIT: COMPUTER CRASH, DYNASTY DISCONTINUED.

Note: This is using CubbyFan's roster set. The dynasty begins after one simulated CPU controlled MLB season.

Story time:

The story begins in early November 2008, after a sub par (disastrous if you're from New York) season for the New York Yankees. The Yankees finished 77-85(3rd), (their worst record in sixteen years), twenty-two games behind the AL East champion Toronto.

In 2008, the Yankees began the season rated #2 in the MLB Power Rankings. Needless to say, the season did not go as planned. Injuries and underachievement dominated New York headlines. The Yankees were historically bad in one run games, finishing with a record of 13-42 in said games.

To add insult to injury, old Yankees manager, Joe Torre, led the Los Angeles Dodgers to their first World Series title in twenty years.

The Dodgers celebrate after outlasting the Angels in seven.

Co-Chairman Hank Steinbrenner wasted no time making changes, as he axed GM Brian Cashman the day the regular season ended. Steinbrenner, bent on creating a legacy of his own, made national headlines with his bombastic pick for the next Yankee GM.

Of course, in classic Steinbrenner fashion, conventional wisdom was below him. One new GM would not be enough for Steinbrenner, he needed two. Both new co-GM's have been lifelong Yankees fans, but are severely lacking in baseball professional experience, but certainly not short on knowledge (or so we've been told). Enter ESPN personality Mike Greenberg, and self-made millionaire, entrepreneur Cosmo Kramer (creator of the best-selling male undergarment, "The Bro." Many talking heads assess the move as this: Steinbrenner wants to be directly involved in player affairs and feels that he can muscle around Greenberg and Kramer.

So who am I? Where do I come into play? Well I'm an intern "assisting" Greenberg and Kramer...and blogging about it along the way. I'll include my personal conversations with the two, articles written about the team and maybe even my own two cents about what we should be doing. Fetching coffee and taking out the trash is my day to day...but, between you and me, I know more about this club than those two combined. Hell's going to freeze over before I let the dynamic Greenberg/Kramer duo drive my Yankees straight into the ground. With a few well placed hints I'm thinking I'll be able to give Greenberg and Kramer a little help running the team.

2008 = Failure

Worst Yankees team in over fifteen years!

My 2008 Yankees Review:

Opening day roster:
2008 stats(2007)

Derek Jeter, SS
34 years old
NYY Status: $189M/3 years.
BA - .274(.322)/HR - 0(12)/RBI - 28(73)/OBP - .347(.388)/SLG - .367(.452)
What it means for us:
Our unquestioned captain was only able to appear in 79 games last year, the second least in his career. He missed two and a half months, and while that contributed to his lackluster performance, maybe he is starting to decline - quickly. On the bright side, he did have 29 stolen bases last year, which is 14 more than he had for us in 2007. I almost forgot, JETER IS GOD.

Robinson Cano, 2B
26 years old
NYY Status: $30M/4 years.
BA - .300(.306)/HR - 27(19)/RBI - 98(97)/OBP - .348(.353)/SLG - .516(.488)
What it means for us:
The twenty-six year old is most definitely in our plans for the foreseeable future, as Greenberg has done nothing but rave about him for the first week. He made the All-Star team last year and was one of the few bright spots on our roster. Great hitter, could work on his discipline, but he's still young. One of the few young guys we've got.

Jorge Posada, C
37 years old
NYY Status: $52.4M/4years
BA - .299(.338)/HR - 24(20)/RBI - 115(90)/OBP - .357(.426)/SLG - .506(.543)
What it means for us:
He is getting UP THERE, but is still able to produce. We're going to have to try a viable replacement as soon as possible. Anything more than another year or two of this kind of production will be gravy.

Alex Rodriguez, 3B
33 years old
NYY Status: $305M/10 years
BA - .263(.314)/HR - 43(54)/RBI - 113(156)/OBP - .362(.422)/SLG - .532(.645)
What this means for us:
Worst batting average since 1995? Worst on base percentage since 1999? No problem. A-Rod is the best player in the game, I have no worries. Although he better up those stats with the coin he's raking in...

Hideki Matsui, DH/LF
34 years old
NYY Status: $52M/2 years
BA - .278(.285)/HR - 21(25)/RBI - 64(103)/OBP - .374(.367)/SLG - .510(.488)
What this means for us:
Not a whole lot. Yeah, that drop in RBI's is scary, but he also had 150 less AB's than in 2007.

Bobby Abreu, RF
34 years old
NYY Status: $16M/1 year
BA - .272(.283)/HR - 19(16)/RBI - 83(101)/OBP - .351(.369)/SLG - .446(.445)
What this means for us:
Another aging star. While he's still throwing up some decent numbers, he's a free agent after 2009, they won't be able to get rid of him fast enough.

Johnny Damon, CF
34 years old
NYY Status: TRADED
BA - .251(.292)/HR - 26(27)/RBI - 55(63)/OBP - .338(.351)/SLG - .376(.396)
What this means for us:
Cashman dealt away Damon in May to the Orioles for some string beans and a button.

Jason Giambi, 1B
37 years old
NYY Status: RELEASED
BA - .225(.236)/HR - 25(14)/RBI - 80(39)/OBP - .381(.356)/SLG - .435(.433)
What this means for us:
Giambi had a solid year, but that couldn't save him. The first thing Greenberg & Kramer did when they accepted the job was cut Jason Giambi. Why? One, his link with steroid use. Two, his laid back Southern California attitude.

Melky Cabrera, LF
24 years old
NYY Status: $430,000/1 year
BA - .306(.273.)/HR - 6(8)/RBI - 64(73)/OBP - .388(.327)/SLG - .420(.391)
What this means for us:
Greenberg likes Melky's "small ball" ability and Kramer likes how his name rolls of his tongue. A good base runner and he doesn't strike out. He's most definitely part of the future plans.

I'll check back in later to fill you guys in and tell it like it is.

Stay classy, New York,

pinstriped2

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 06-07-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Wonder Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
Wonder Bear
n00b

Winter of 2008: The Off-Season

My team goals:
-Cut salary
-Get younger
-Sure up bullpen (2nd highest ERA in the AL)

That's it. Modest goals, sure. Certainly not the conventional New York approach, I'm more a fan of bleeding out players from within. This, however, is not how things work in the Yankees organization.

Steinbrenner team goals:
-Make headlines
-Win
-Win

Entering this off-season, I thought that after the fourth place finish and HUGE payroll, maybe our boys in pinstripes would realistically consider rebuilding. I had a feeling a few things would change this off-season, with the constant temper tantrums throw by Steinbrenner around the office. Change was certainly brewing.

NYY Free Agent Signings (lol, I did these quick so some are a little messy)

SP Johan Santana, 29 years old
6 years, $103M
Left from: NY Mets

MR Dan Wheeler, 31 years old
2 years, $12.46M
Left from: Tampa Bay Rays

2B Chone Figgins, 31 years old
2 years, $16.16M
Left from: Los Angeles Angels

RF Ken Griffey Jr., 39 years old
1 year, $4.67M
Left from: Cincinnati Reds

WHAT IT ALL MEANS:
Riots broke out in the streets when we signed Johan. The fans could not have been happier with the signing. After the disappointing 2007 season, fan unrest was at an all-time high. Johan had a disappointing season last year, but taking this "gamble" could will undoubtedly pay huge dividends. Secondly, Dan Wheeler moves northward from the upstart Rays to join the "Evil Empire". He's a solid arm that should help bandage the bullpen. The third signing was Chone Figgins. He's a diverse player who is lightning quick and will move to the outfield in 2009. Largely instrumental in the final signing was Cosmo Kramer. Kramer single handedly pushed for the organization to sign legend Ken Griffey Jr. While he doesn't have the legs he used to, he's a solid bat who will be able to DH here and there, he's a fan favorite to boot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NYY Trades

Atlanta Braves receive:

-SP Andy Pettitte, 36 years old

New York Yankees receive:

-CF Jordan Schafer, 21 years old (AA)

and

MR Manny Acosta, 27 years old

Breakdown:
This one had me so torn. I love Andy Pettitte, so many good years with him. But I had a large part in this trade. It was a forgone conclusion that Andy would be dealt, as he clashed with Steinbrenner on many issues during the season (primarily internal Girardi/Steinbrenner arguments regarding Joba's move from the bullpen to the starting rotation). For what it's worth, I gave Greenberg the heads up on what players were worth acquiring. Suffice to say, Schafer and Acosta are in pinstripes largely because of me. I'm psyched about these two. This deal was worth it for two reasons. One, Schafer is a great prospect who will blossom into a strong CF. Two, Acosta gives us an additional arm to replenish the bullpen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit Tigers receive:

-RF Bobby Abreu, 34 years old

and

-CF Fred Lewis, 28 years old

New York Yankees receive:

-RF Maglio Ordonez, 35 years old

and

-MR Joel Zumaya, 24 years old

and

-SP Angel Castro, 27 years old

Breakdown:
Abreu's departure frees us of his 3 more years at $15M+. Ordonez is a step down, but his contract is up after 2009. Fred Lewis became expendable with the acquisition of Figgins and Schafer. Joel Zumaya is yet another strong pitcher who will revamp the Yankees bullpen in 2009. Castro was a throwaway, a twenty-seven year old who has never come close to his huge potential.

In a nutshell:

Key additions:
-SP Johan Santana
-SP Angel Castro
-MR Joel Zumaya
-MR Manny Acosta
-MR Dan Wheeler
-2B Chone Figgins
-CF Jordan Schafer
-RF Ken Griffey Jr.
-RF Maglio Ordonez
---------------------------------------------------------
Key subtractions:
-SP Andy Pettitte
-RF Bobby Abreu
-CF Fred Lewis

A lot of new faces for sure! We'll see how this comes together in March.

Sleep easy,

pinstriped2

Wonder Bear is offline   Reply With Quote