Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Sgran
High School Varsity

Bears into the cave?

Okay, Bears fans, what do you do at this point? No first, no second, no line (maybe a decent right tackle going forward), a Hall of Fame defensive line coach (), an aging D, identical 5' 6" wide-outs, and a pocket passer with no pocket whose body has just aged a dog year. In an FOFC league I'd leave this team on a doorstep. Any ideas?

Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Move the Bears to LA and re-name them the Pansies. Take this with a grain of salt though, since I am a Packer fan.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Bears need a full rebuild. They have nothing of note anywhere and their formerly good defense is injury prone and old. They have a QB they can probably build around, given a major talent boost at the skill positions, but would probably be better served by finding a new arm to groom or trading Cutler while he has maybe a little value left. The lack of skilled WR has probably hurt Cutler (caused him to force more balls) as much as his line and his own poor decision making.

They need to move Hester back to returning kicks and demote him to 3rd or 4th WR, grab a couple top flight WR like the Giants did this past draft, then build on the O and D lines. It looks like a few years before they return to contention.

Do they even have any picks in the first 2 rounds of next years draft?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

they can't trade him. if shanahan ends up in dc and snyders willing to give you what you paid for him then yeah, otherwise...

1. hire shanahan
-you already pushed your chips in with cutler.he's shanahans boy, they've had success, you need a coach anyway.

2. trade/package anyone not named cutler for o line help

3. sign every free agent available including t.o.
-it's an uncapped year and you're not getting better through the draft

4. sit on your draft positions
-don't do anything stupid. you made your bed.

and after all that you're still probably looking at 6-10. but they key is preserving the investment in cutler. another bad season and his mental game might not be salvageable.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It's all irrelevant until they axe Lovie & Angelo.

Which I still don't believe the McCaskey's are willing to eat the money required to do so (AND sign a legitimate coach). Which means 1 more year of this mess.

But, aside from that.

1) Beg, borrow, and steal an o-line.
2) Beg, borrow, and steal legitimate WR's. Don't even need a burner here, we need a big tall WR who catches everything thrown his way.
3) Return Hester to returns.

Essentially, invest every possible thing you can into the offense this coming year. Defense is going to suck, but you can't fix both sides of the ball in one year. Get the offense clicking with some solid talent/systems behind your real QB, and then get the defense firing.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I would say Lovie and Angelo need to go. Lovie has lost the team and just cannot develop talent. If the talent is no good which it may be then Angelo is at fault and must go as well. A 2nd rounder for Gaines Adams was just plain stupid. The defense is old we cannot seem to draft any secondary help, our O line is a siv, there is very little to nor receiving talent (not sure on this one because Cutler doesn't have time and down more three scores or more in games they keep throwing Cutler out there to get his brains beat in. Here are some things i would do.

1. Fire Lovie and Angelo
2. Bring in Shannahan or Cowher along with a new GM. I would not give either of them total personnel control.
3. Trade Urlacher - he is a big baby and cannot deal with someone on the team getting more press than him.

There is a lot more that needs to be done but that is where i would start.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I would recommend that they get Cutler some help by drafting wide receivers. Please, do this. I know the Bears have no first or second (MARINELLI WILL MAKE YOU A STAR, GAINES ADAMS!) round picks this year and they may not have a first round pick next year, but they should totally burn some early draft picks on wide receivers and give Cutler the weapons he so apparently needs. Building from the outisde in, is the way forward Bears' fans.

You can patch your o-line in free agency and Marinelli could mold any old bums (preferably old bums that once played for him in Tampa) into defensive line studs.

Do this and be succesfull!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bring in Matt Millen as a consultant. That dude gets things DONE.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Bring in Matt Millen as a consultant. That dude gets things DONE.

Another solid suggestion. Just listen to him on college football Saturdays and on the NFL Network games. The man simply knows. his. shit. No one who can so astutely call a game could be that bad.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I would recommend that they get Cutler some help by drafting wide receivers. Please, do this. I know the Bears have no first or second (MARINELLI WILL MAKE YOU A STAR, GAINES ADAMS!) round picks this year and they may not have a first round pick next year, but they should totally burn some early draft picks on wide receivers and give Cutler the weapons he so apparently needs. Building from the outisde in, is the way forward Bears' fans.

You can patch your o-line in free agency and Marinelli could mold any old bums (preferably old bums that once played for him in Tampa) into defensive line studs.

Yes the Detroit Lions way!

as a Vikings fan i approve of this method
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

That is hilarious! Matt Millen may have made a blueprint for any rebuilding team... all they have to do is the opposite of what he did! Even San Fran dumped the black outline thingy off their jerseys!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
revrew
Team Chaplain

As a Broncos fan whose wife follows the Bears religiously, I've seen both sides of Cutler, and I disagree with the assessment that he's a pocket passer.

In Denver, he was FAR more successful as a roll-out passer. True, he doesn't make many plays with his feet, but his rhythm is better when he's on the move, and he has the arm strength to throw from any position.

What he CAN'T do is stare down a pass rush in his face and still make a good read and get the ball out in a timely fashion. That was evident vs. the Vikes, when, after the 92-yard kick return he was sacked, like, 3 times straight. His receivers were open for the easy TD, but as soon as he had to dodge that first pass rusher, he was worthless, panic-blinders on.

What do Bears need to do?
#1 - Get an O-coordinator. They haven't had one in over a decade, but still, you think they'd put some brains behind the Cutler experiment.

The team has several other holes, notably O-line, WR, and safety, but just scheming for the (new) face of the franchise would be smart, don't you think?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

Bring in a quarterback coach that can do two things with Cutler:

1. Get into his thick skull that, yea you do have a strong arm, but, you need to be accurate and smart
2. Teach him how to throw when his feet are moving

After getting to watch Cutler for at least two games each year when he was with the Broncos, I knew the Chargers would have a good game if at the very least, they got his feet moving. Didn't have to sack him, just flush him out of the pocket. It was always a treat watching him throw into triple coverage and think that his arm strength would get it to the reciever untouched. He was always good for at least a couple of picks if they did that to him. I see he has not changed one bit since going to Chicago.

Granted, his offensive line isn't as good as it was in Denver, but, it's still the same 'ol Cutler that was in Denver.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

We're too cheap to fire Lovie/Angelo so I won't put that into consideration.

Basically we need to use the limited resources we have to try to invest in our lines. Primarily offensive but we also need to find a DL that can get to the Quarterback (I'm assuming Adawale is gone after the year.) Go ahead and cut Tommie Harris, he's done.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
Atocep
Coordinator

Receivers aren't a major issue right now. They're an issue, but Devin has actually be a solid-very good receiver this year. Knox has shown some good potential. Bennett would be a very reliable 3rd down receiver out of the slot. A group of Devin, a possession receiver, Knox, Bennett would be very good.

The offensive line has to be improved. The most important unit on the field is the OLine and the bears simply don't have one. Pace is terrible. Williams has looked like a bust. Kruetz is now a below average Center being paid like a pro bowler. Omiyale may have been the worst starting offensive lineman in the NFL. Garza has been the lone bright stop, but only because he hasn't sucked, not because he's played particularly well.

Blow the defense up. There's just too many guys under-performing on that side of the ball and eating up a ton of cap space. Combine that with the holes that are there and it doesn't make sense to me to hold onto the guys that can play for a couple years and let them grow old and eat up cap space as you fix things.

I know it's the McCaskeys, but Lovie could very well be putting them in a position where they have no choice but to fire him. The team is simply getting worse and the defense has regressed with him taking over playcalling this year. If Lovie is fired I'd look for them to clean house with Angelo as well and use that opportunity to go after Shanahan or Cowher and offer them personnel control as well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I just don't see them firing Lovie/Angelo though. Eating up that money alone is going to lead us to hiring some random coordinator instead of one of the big name coaches.

I agree for the most part on the WRs. Our guys aren't world beaters by any stretch but there's some glimpse of potential. I would focus on fixing that line in front of Jay, and if that gets patched up, then possibly consider a good WR if there's a match.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

They need to move Hester back to returning kicks and demote him to 3rd or 4th WR, grab a couple top flight WR like the Giants did this past draft, then build on the O and D lines. It looks like a few years before they return to contention.

Do you realize how hard it is to build the O and D lines with only 3rd rouneders and later? The big bodies go quickly, and it is hard to find good, reliable lineman after round 2. You can occasionally, but you wouldn;t want to rely on it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

crying poverty is bs. how much money does not having to sign 1st & 2nd's in consecutive years save you? i'd imagine it'd cover the remaining costs on the hc and gm.

the hester thing is a disaster. they paid him top tier wr money based on his return skills and now he's neither a wr nor a returner. i'd trade him for whatever you could get for him. you've got knox.

forte/hester to hou for andre johnson would be nice.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Why in god's name would Houston ever make that trade?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #20
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
crying poverty is bs. how much money does not having to sign 1st & 2nd's in consecutive years save you? i'd imagine it'd cover the remaining costs on the hc and gm.

the hester thing is a disaster. they paid him top tier wr money based on his return skills and now he's neither a wr nor a returner. i'd trade him for whatever you could get for him. you've got knox.

forte/hester to hou for andre johnson would be nice.

It's not about crying poverty. It's about knowing the McCaskeys and how they spend their money. They are loath to do something that they interpret as "wasteful," whether or not it would actually be good for the team. I'm not saying their Scrooge either...they spend to the cap or close to it every year. But I find it unlikely that they'll fire Lovie and eat the contract...Ted Phillips is an accountant, not a football guy

Forte + Hester to Houston for Johnson would be a godsend, but Houston would be damn fools to do it.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #21
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post

I'm calling Bullshit here. Hester has been good as a receiver this year. I'd be a lot better if the line gave him time to actually get open downfield.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post

Forte + Hester to Houston for Johnson would be a godsend, but Houston would be damn fools to do it.

I wouldn't even consider this if I'm the bears. Last year with an average line Forte was arguably the most complete back in the NFL. Hester is a solid receiver. Creating another problem to get an upgrade at one of the least important positions there is would be insane.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #23
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Move the Bears to LA and re-name them the Pansies. Take this with a grain of salt though, since I am a Packer fan.

And then trade Dickerson for a ton of picks... wait.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #24
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i just said it was nice. like trading the entire defense to cle for joe thomas.

knox=hester.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #25
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I wouldn't even consider this if I'm the bears. Last year with an average line Forte was arguably the most complete back in the NFL. Hester is a solid receiver. Creating another problem to get an upgrade at one of the least important positions there is would be insane.

Personally I feel that running backs, with a very few exceptions (A.P. for example), are replaceable. Elite Wide Receivers, on the other hand, are a much more precious commodity (and I personally think Johnson is the best WR on the planet right now).
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #26
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Personally I feel that running backs, with a very few exceptions (A.P. for example), are replaceable. Elite Wide Receivers, on the other hand, are a much more precious commodity (and I personally think Johnson is the best WR on the planet right now).

I would take an elite RB over 2 elite receivers. Forte is already one of the best blocking backs in the league, catches the ball well, and is a very good runner. The only knock on him is the lack of elite speed. Give me him and Devin at receiver over any receiver in football right now.

Devin catches a very high number passes thrown his was and he would be a deep threat if he had time to get downfield before Cutler was either on his back or had a defender in his face. Devin is not an elite receiver, but he's not far from pro bowl caliber either.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

I think they need to blow it up. Lovie and Angelo need to go and some fresh blood needs to be brought in. I'd start with giving control of the organization to someone like Parcells or Cowher. They don't need to coach, just bring in the right football minds to run the show.

As for personnel moves:

1) Release Tommie Harris and Nathan Vasher. Harris is Mark Prior and Vasher was a bad re-signing.

2) Try and trade good vets for draft picks. Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman are the two I think that would have some value to a team. Really like them both but at their ages, I don't think they can be in the long term plans.

3) Move Hester back to returning kicks and a slot 3rd WR. I'd actually be for trading him if anyone will take him at that price.

4) Land the best free agent OL on the market under 28 years old.

5) Draft WR and OL in the draft. Also try to acquire a solid backup RB that offers a change of pace.

6) Continue to bring in young players through the draft, acquire picks when you can for veterans, and play the young guys.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm calling Bullshit here. Hester has been good as a receiver this year. I'd be a lot better if the line gave him time to actually get open downfield.
Hester is not that good. He frequently runs the wrong routes and has been responsible for a handful of Cutler interceptions this year. Has a lot of trouble with physical corners. I think he could be a solid #2 in this league but would probably be better suited for a slot position and playing the role of a Percy Harvin type in the offense. He's not a #1 WR which the Bears are paying him to be. He's a guy you try to get the ball a few times in a game and see if he can make a play, not a guy you count on for big first down pickups.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #29
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
This is a passing league. Forte was good last year but not great. He only averaged 3.9 yards a carry which is near the bottom of starting RBs. He doesn't have breakaway speed and seems to have actually lost a step this season. Andre Johnson can change a game, Matt Forte can't.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #30
miked
College Starter

My buddy at UM told me that initially they wanted Hester to be a WR, but he was too dumb to learn routes and frequently screwed up. So they put him at PR/KR where all he had to do was catch a ball while stationary, and run.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

The Bears did try him at corner a little and he couldn't figure out the defensive schemes.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This is a passing league. Forte was good last year but not great. He only averaged 3.9 yards a carry which is near the bottom of starting RBs. He doesn't have breakaway speed and seems to have actually lost a step this season. Andre Johnson can change a game, Matt Forte can't.

It is a passing league, but the drop-off from a guy like Forte to an back that can't pass block, or can't catch the ball out of the backfield, or isn't a good runner is much larger than the drop-off from Andre Johnson to Devin Hester.

Running backs are replaceable. Elite backs aren't. Forte is an elite back playing with a terrible offensive line. YPC don't tell the entire story. From '01-'07 Tomlinson was the best back in the NFL and still averaged under 4ypc twice in that span. Pass catching is the most underrated aspect of being a running back and pass blocking is right behind it. Forte is outstanding in both of those areas.

Receivers are replaceable whether they are elite or not. They're nice to have, but it is still the least important position on either side of the ball.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #33
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i couldn't disagree more.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #34
RainMaker
General Manager

We disagree greatly on Forte. He's an average back in my opinion that got a lot of yards last year because the Bears had no options on offense. He's not quick, not fast, and doesn't break a lot of tackles. An NFL starter, but not an elite back.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #35
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It's rare to see a rookie back as assured as Forte, who had the starting job fall into his lap after Cedric Benson's summer indiscretions and made it his own. From Week 1, Forte ran, received, and blocked like a veteran back; only Frank Gore had a higher percentage of his team's touches. he was more dependable than most veteran backs that get the monicker, as he didn't register a single blown block and had no fumble issues to speak of. The one negative was that he wore down quickly following 73 carries in the first 3 weeks, but he was used more judiciously by Lovie Smith thereafter and averaged 4.3 yards per carry after the Week 8 bye. He lacks the top-end speed needed to be an elite back, but he has everything else you'd want. The best compliment we can give Forte? The closest skill set we can think of to his is Emmitt Smith's. Forte is that special of a player

That's from the 2009 Football Outsiders almanac.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-01-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #36
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
That's from the 2009 Football Outsiders almanac.

I wonder what the 2010 Football Outsiders almanac entry will read like.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I wonder what the 2010 Football Outsiders almanac entry will read like.

I'm guessing something along the lines of: "Forte played for the bears..."
Old 12-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #38
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The more I think about it, the more I think it is really difficult to get an accurate read on Forte's abilities for one reason: the awful o-line he is playing behind this year. It's really difficult to tell whether he's a legit back or a one-year-wonder.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

You have to watch him play. He doesn't hit holes hard and when he has had open space he gets caught from behind. The other backs on the team are averaging 7.6 yards a carry.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #40
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Why in god's name would Houston ever make that trade?

if Al Davis took over houston then......
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #41
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
You have to watch him play. He doesn't hit holes hard and when he has had open space he gets caught from behind. The other backs on the team are averaging 7.6 yards a carry.

I've watched Forte play plenty. He's grown hesitant as the year has gone on, but I really can't put blame on him at this point. Regardless, he's still the the best pass blocker on the team (lineman included) and he's still going to put up around 1,400 total yards because of how good he is as a receiver.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #42
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Change of offensive cordinators for one. Secondly they need to start over with their offensive line. Instead of drafting the "Lovie" offensive lineman they need to get bigger and stronger so they can start getting the tough rushing yards. Thirdly they need to work off of their run game by rolling Cutler out where he is much better outside the pocket. They also need to take away some of his "freedom" so he isnt forcing the ball ESPECIALLY near the goaline.

Finally their secondary(most notably the safetys) are very poor so they need to find some talent back there.

They need to get their identity back most of all. A Chicago Bear team shouldnt be passing the ball 40+ times out of spread offenses. The Bears had a lot of success with defense and running the ball over their history and they need to start with fixing that part of their team. Its hard to build an offense around the pass when playing half your games in the windy city.

They should trade Hester IMO because the Bears dont properly use him anyway. Maybe they could get a 2nd round pick for him. If they want to keep him at WR they should use him like the Panthers use Steve Smith and they need to have him returning kicks. He is one of the biggest weapons in the NFL when used right.

I agree with the post above that it is a great time to trade Urlacher. Its tough to shine as a MLB when the rest of the defense has holes.

Im undecided on Forte at this time. I thought he was a servicable back but as this season goes on I wonder if he isnt more of a 3rd down back type. He just doesnt seem explosive. Steven Jackson has a crap line in front of him yet he still plays like a stud.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-01-2009 at 09:16 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's maybe 3 guys in the league of Andre Johnson. There's probably 20-30 backs as good as Forte.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #44
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

it's moot anyway because it'll never happen. johnson was rumored to be unhappy in hou earlier this year but every wr in the league is unhappy. even if he sits out i can't see hou trading him. that said, there's not a player on the bears roster i wouldn't trade for him.

they have to get shanahan. you bring in the wrong guy and they clash and in 2 years cutler will be qbing for the raiders and you'll own the number 3 spot on the worst trades of all time list behind herschel and ricky.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #45
RainMaker
General Manager

My only problem with Shannahan is he seems to be a more run-oriented coach when I think this team needs someone pass oriented. I think the league is shifting toward more forward thinking minds and I don't want to get Shottenheimer'd like the Chargers did.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I've watched Forte play plenty. He's grown hesitant as the year has gone on, but I really can't put blame on him at this point. Regardless, he's still the the best pass blocker on the team (lineman included) and he's still going to put up around 1,400 total yards because of how good he is as a receiver.
That's fine, but Andre Johnson is one of the best receivers in the game and capable of changing one on his own. Forte is a solid NFL starter and will have his ups and downs, but he's not someone who's going to make big plays and change games. He'll take what the defense gives him.

I also look back at past Super Bowl champs. You have to go back to 2000 before you really have an elite RB on a team that won. It's a passing league and I think Andre Johnson has a much bigger impact than Matt Forte who still requires a decent offensive line.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #47
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Change of offensive cordinators for one. Secondly they need to start over with their offensive line. Instead of drafting the "Lovie" offensive lineman they need to get bigger and stronger so they can start getting the tough rushing yards. Thirdly they need to work off of their run game by rolling Cutler out where he is much better outside the pocket. They also need to take away some of his "freedom" so he isnt forcing the ball ESPECIALLY near the goaline.

Finally their secondary(most notably the safetys) are very poor so they need to find some talent back there.

They need to get their identity back most of all. A Chicago Bear team shouldnt be passing the ball 40+ times out of spread offenses. The Bears had a lot of success with defense and running the ball over their history and they need to start with fixing that part of their team. Its hard to build an offense around the pass when playing half your games in the windy city.

They should trade Hester IMO because the Bears dont properly use him anyway. Maybe they could get a 2nd round pick for him. If they want to keep him at WR they should use him like the Panthers use Steve Smith and they need to have him returning kicks. He is one of the biggest weapons in the NFL when used right.

I agree with the post above that it is a great time to trade Urlacher. Its tough to shine as a MLB when the rest of the defense has holes.

Im undecided on Forte at this time. I thought he was a servicable back but as this season goes on I wonder if he isnt more of a 3rd down back type. He just doesnt seem explosive. Steven Jackson has a crap line in front of him yet he still plays like a stud.

I think that's the problem though. This mentality that we have to "play Chicago Bears football". That style of play has passed the NFL by. The rules are set to benefit the passing game. Sure the weather is tough at times, but it's also tough out in New England.

The Bears need to stop with the stereotype and hire a coach that will implement a scheme that will win games. Not make cute slogans for t-shirts.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #48
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I also look back at past Super Bowl champs. You have to go back to 2000 before you really have an elite RB on a team that won. It's a passing league and I think Andre Johnson has a much bigger impact than Matt Forte who still requires a decent offensive line.

How many elite receivers have won it in that time? Marvin Harrison?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #49
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think that's the problem though. This mentality that we have to "play Chicago Bears football". That style of play has passed the NFL by. The rules are set to benefit the passing game. Sure the weather is tough at times, but it's also tough out in New England.

The Bears need to stop with the stereotype and hire a coach that will implement a scheme that will win games. Not make cute slogans for t-shirts.

This I agree with 100%. Playing a certain way because a franchise has always played that way is idiotic. Of all teams, the Bears need to do something different considering that they've been a generally terrible franchise for 40 years.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #50
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
How many elite receivers have won it in that time? Marvin Harrison?
But almost all those teams had better QBs than the Bears. Unless you have a world class defense, you have to throw the ball to win in the Super Bowl. Having a great WR makes a mediocre QB look much better.