Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

The 2016 College Football Coaching Carousel Thread

LSU set to announce Orgeron as head coach at a press conference today.

Last edited by Logan : 11-26-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

I would be overjoyed if everyone (Orgeron, Herman, Strong) all kept their jobs and stayed exactly where they are. Be nice if the AD's actually listened to the kids (90% oh whom, despite all the rhetoric, will never go on to become millionaire NFL players) and let them play for the coach they came to play for.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Agreed, I would like to see them all stay put. I'm also not that big on Herman. Houston has some big wins the last two years, but they've also lost to SMU and UConn, and that would concern me. I would be just as interested in hiring Willie Taggart, Philip Montgomery, or PJ Fleck as I would Herman.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

PJ Fleck will be great somewhere. He's beyond intense, but his message has seemed to work at WMU.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Can Fleck recruit a top level prospect? That's tbd imho. Herman has shown the ability, but I don't think he is ultimately a success at Texas . I'd say in 2022 he is no longer the coach there
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Can Fleck recruit a top level prospect? That's tbd imho. Herman has shown the ability, but I don't think he is ultimately a success at Texas . I'd say in 2022 he is no longer the coach there

I'm not sold on Fleck as a p5 coach. I'm far more confident in Herman, but I'm not sure if Texas is the right fit.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

Fleck probably would do well at a school that isn't hard to recruit at
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Rumor out of Athens...

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Mike MacIntyre should have gotten more consideration for Texas and LSU.

I wonder which school(s) will take a look at Old Dominion's coach?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm kind of surprised Peterson didn't get more push for Texas. I think Mac gets a shot at Ole Miss if freeze is gone
Old 11-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'm kind of surprised Peterson didn't get more push for Texas. I think Mac gets a shot at Ole Miss if freeze is gone
After observing him closely for the past three seasons, I'm confident in saying Petersen is very unlikely to go anywhere else. I think he would have considered places like Stanford or UCLA if he'd been offered, but at this point why would he move? He can win a National Championship at Washington, it's in the PNW which is right in his comfort zone, he loves the academic rep of the school, he has a fantastic relationship with his AD - what's his incentive to move?

I suppose he could challenge himself at the NFL level, but he's so into the coaching aspect of developing young men that I just don't think the NFL appeals to him in the same way college football does.

If he's the caliber of coach he appears to be, there will be precious few jobs out there that are a clear step up for him, and how many of them would provide the same side benefits in terms of his values that Washington does?
Old 11-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think Colorado and UW are similar profile jobs
Old 11-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
Atocep
Coordinator

Supposedly WVU and Holgorsen are close to an extension, but Oregon is checking in on him to see if there's interest.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think Colorado and UW are similar profile jobs
You think wrong.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I am interested to see who my Boilers bring in. Two local sources say Fleck is the guy and the national guys shot that down. I would be pleased if that were the hire. There was Les Miles buzz, but that seems like a terrible idea for both sides. The new AD has kept things very tight lipped, so I won't be surprised by anything at this point.

As for a name for the future - Chris Creighton @ Eastern Michigan. I wish he had a little more time under his belt @ EMU so he'd have the resume for Purdue. He's an incredible motivator and community-oriented coach. What he's done already @ EMU is impressive, especially when staff and students wanted the school to go D2 earlier this year.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
You think wrong.

and not even close nowadays (it may have been somewhat closer during certain periods over the past 25 years). Part of the job profile is prestige and there's a large gap.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
I am interested to see who my Boilers bring in. Two local sources say Fleck is the guy and the national guys shot that down. I would be pleased if that were the hire. There was Les Miles buzz, but that seems like a terrible idea for both sides. The new AD has kept things very tight lipped, so I won't be surprised by anything at this point.

As for a name for the future - Chris Creighton @ Eastern Michigan. I wish he had a little more time under his belt @ EMU so he'd have the resume for Purdue. He's an incredible motivator and community-oriented coach. What he's done already @ EMU is impressive, especially when staff and students wanted the school to go D2 earlier this year.

Creighton was at Wabash when I was there. He was famous for his over the top motivational speeches.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #18
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
and not even close nowadays (it may have been somewhat closer during certain periods over the past 25 years). Part of the job profile is prestige and there's a large gap.
Yep. I mean no disrespect to Colorado - historically, the two programs are similar. But the Buffs have been down for so much longer than Washington that there's a significant gap now. I think there are some other factors that favor the UW too - Husky Stadium, athletic department revenues, Seattle continuing to be a desirable city to live in - but if Mac stays and/or the next coach continues to keep the Buffs near the top of the conference, the gap will certainly shrink. Of course there's a good chance Chris Petersen builds up the UW to be a consistent top-10 program too.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #19
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like Chad Morris to Baylor is done, with a $0 buyout to become HC at A&M, Clemson or "1 other school not to be disclosed publicly " (Texas) ...

If I've heard accurately it's ~5.5 per for 5
Old 11-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

That might be the most undeserved contract in college football, but football in Texas is crazy, so...ya
Old 11-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #21
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That might be the most undeserved contract in college football, but football in Texas is crazy, so...ya

Ya think?

I mean I'm very biased here so hard to be objective, but....
What Chad haso done at SMU in two years is nothing short of amazing.
Plus he is supremely respected in Texas high school coaching circles. Extremely. Baylor needs that to keep those doors open despite what they are facing.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #22
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Yep. I mean no disrespect to Colorado - historically, the two programs are similar. But the Buffs have been down for so much longer than Washington that there's a significant gap now. I think there are some other factors that favor the UW too - Husky Stadium, athletic department revenues, Seattle continuing to be a desirable city to live in - but if Mac stays and/or the next coach continues to keep the Buffs near the top of the conference, the gap will certainly shrink. Of course there's a good chance Chris Petersen builds up the UW to be a consistent top-10 program too.

Yep. Money is finally starting to flow into the CU program after a lot of years of pure neglect. When Mac came, the indoor practice field and the weight room received massive upgrades. Boulder is a beautiful area, but it can't compete with Seattle.

Now, Mac stays for a couple of more years and he can build on the success with recruits? That changes. But not now. Washington is the better program and it isn't all that close.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #23
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Yep. Money is finally starting to flow into the CU program after a lot of years of pure neglect. When Mac came, the indoor practice field and the weight room received massive upgrades. Boulder is a beautiful area, but it can't compete with Seattle.

Now, Mac stays for a couple of more years and he can build on the success with recruits? That changes. But not now. Washington is the better program and it isn't all that close.

Admittedly I'm not Uber familiar with either program, inside. I know national perception etc.

But, doesn't CU have a slight advantage in that the isn't another in state school as opposed to wSu?

Again I'm not discounting facilities, support, administration, etc. All those things are ultimately much more important, but from 4000 miles away I'd think that would be one check in the negative column for Washington in the debate
Old 11-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #24
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

How much of a hot seat is Todd Graham on?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #25
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There are two other FBS schools in Colorado: Colorado State and Air Force
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There are two other FBS schools in Colorado: Colorado State and Air Force

Meant Power 5, but yes. Point taken.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-27-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #27
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Another name to think of in the near future for a higher profile coaching spot: Scott Frost.

While I'm at it, throw Paul Petrino's name into the mix as well. If you can win at Idaho, you can win anywhere.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-27-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Admittedly I'm not Uber familiar with either program, inside. I know national perception etc.

But, doesn't CU have a slight advantage in that the isn't another in state school as opposed to wSu?

Again I'm not discounting facilities, support, administration, etc. All those things are ultimately much more important, but from 4000 miles away I'd think that would be one check in the negative column for Washington in the debate

It would, but the state does not have a ton of great recruits that come out of it, so the advantage is mitigated in that regard.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #29
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Eh, not really. WSU rarely competes successfully with Washington for recruits, even when they're rolling. They can sometimes get a guy from the eastern part of the state over a Husky offer, but the Huskies have stolen quite a few from there as well. Mike Leach himself admitted as much this past week, that Washington gets most of the guys they want in-state over WSU.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #30
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Eh, not really. WSU rarely competes successfully with Washington for recruits, even when they're rolling. They can sometimes get a guy from the eastern part of the state over a Husky offer, but the Huskies have stolen quite a few from there as well. Mike Leach himself admitted as much this past week, that Washington gets most of the guys they want in-state over WSU.

Can confirm. Wazzu is weird as far as support and following goes in this state. If you didn't know better you'd swear they were a G5 school or something. They do not and can not compete directly with UW for recruits.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #31
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
How much of a hot seat is Todd Graham on?

He'll probably resign to take even more money at another school. He is really good at failing up.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #32
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Colorado has had some issues with limitations put on contracts by the state as well. At one point they couldn't have multi-year deals for assistant coaches because the state wouldn't approve the request. They may have gotten that overturned at this point, but it was a big contributing factor to the downslide and one of the main reasons they couldn't keep good assistants.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #33
Atocep
Coordinator

Doc Holliday may be on his way out at Marshall. Some serious stuff going on in that program that they're not going to overlook after 3-9 season. He's had absurd attrition this year, attitude problems, and rumors of rampant drug use (and not just weed) throughout the program. Some Marshall insiders are saying that if word starts to leak out they'll have no choice but to fire him.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #34
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Fwiw, the internal sorry is that certain terms are agreed to between Baylor and Chad Morris, however when the formal contact was sent to his agent the allegedly agreed upon contingencies were conspicuously absent.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #35
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Doc Holliday may be on his way out at Marshall. Some serious stuff going on in that program that they're not going to overlook after 3-9 season. He's had absurd attrition this year, attitude problems, and rumors of rampant drug use (and not just weed) throughout the program. Some Marshall insiders are saying that if word starts to leak out they'll have no choice but to fire him.

Isn't this by definition word leaking out?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:55 AM   #36
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Not a coaching move, but I think this is the right place for it.

Liberty's statement after hiring ex-Baylor AD tainted by a scandal is unfathomably tone-deaf
Old 11-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #37
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I love how his statement implies that Catholics aren't Christians.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #38
MrBug708
Head Coach

What is there to not understand? Protestants refer to themselves as Christians while Catholics refer to themselves as Catholics. There is a huge group on both sides that do think the others are not Christians and totally misguided in their dogma, but this statement implied nothing of what you wanted to imply.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #39
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I can assure you that the Catholics where I teach would not be happy with the Catholics/Christians language used.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #40
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What is there to not understand? Protestants refer to themselves as Christians while Catholics refer to themselves as Catholics. There is a huge group on both sides that do think the others are not Christians and totally misguided in their dogma, but this statement implied nothing of what you wanted to imply.

Catholics are Christians. Just because they refer to themselves as a specific subset of Christianity doesn't mean they don't think of themselves as Christian.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #41
MrBug708
Head Coach

That doesn't disagree with what I said though or change what was implied. My wife is a cradle Catholic, we got married in a Catholic Church and while I am a "nondenominational protestant" the only one people who refer to us that way are catholics. Catholics, to counteract the protestant use of Christians, use the term Catholic-Christians.

I mean, Mormons also feel that they are Christian as well, but nobody really cares about that distinction.

Most Catholics out here tend to love USC and hate Notre Dame so this wouldn't even apply to them

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-29-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #42
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I can assure you that the Catholics where I teach would not be happy with the Catholics/Christians language used.

Yeah, that was not put well at all. I think most Catholics would be pissed by it... as would most Mormons who present themselves as Christians, but Southern Baptists and Evangelicals don't count them as such.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

Rice is retaining their HC. Seemed to be a bit of a surprise.

That's what we call a "subtle hint", gentlemen.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #44
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Catholics, to counteract the protestant use of Christians, use the term Catholic-Christians.

I've never heard of this.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #45
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am a "cradle Catholic" (although now non-practicing), and I never blinked at anyone calling me Christian rather than Catholic. And no one among my very Catholic Irish and Polish sides of the family cared either. Or friends.

I have heard of people wanting to be more specifically described as Catholic rather than just Christian, but to not even see themselves as Christians? Never heard that anywhere, and I know hundreds of Catholics.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, that was not put well at all. I think most Catholics would be pissed by it... as would most Mormons who present themselves as Christians, but Southern Baptists and Evangelicals don't count them as such.

I'd put the number of Evangelicals who consider either to be "Christian" at under half. And, well, this is Liberty we're talking about here. They really couldn't care less who got pissed at the phrasing.

(That said, I don't think it was meant so much as a slight as it was simply for using the others as examples. It really seemed like more a case of using "Christian" as shorthand for "evangelical Christians aligned with our particular beliefs")
Old 11-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #47
Logan
Head Coach

Apparently SJ State is trying to bring in former Fresno HC Pat Hill. Can you believe that?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #48
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Apparently SJ State is trying to bring in former Fresno HC Pat Hill. Can you believe that?

Might be a decent stop-gap hire. He probably wouldn't be there more than 5 years or so. Kinda like Ault when he went back to Nevada.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #49
Butter
Coordinator

Why doesn't Pat Hill just go back to Fresno State? At worst they were mediocre when he was there.

Last edited by Butter : 11-29-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #50
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is in the beginning of 10 more years of Ferentz. The good news is that his buyout is full of stupid money. Oh, wait.
I mean, Ferentz is a cutting edge coach that......oh, wait.
I mean that.....ah, I got nothing. Stuck with 3 yards and a cloud of dust in a pass happy society.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote