Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Improvements in Madden 2010

The new development team has been very active on OS in the Madden Forum over the last 6-8 months and about 6 weeks ago they began posting blogs detailing new improvements. They are planning on releasing a blog approximately every week and the last 2 have piqued my interest in Madden higher than it has been in years (I skipped last year's version.)

1 week ago they discussed that all QB's would be rated in short, medium, and long term throwing accuracy, as well as the ability to throw off the run. They also discussed how they have redone the passing system to allow for a much higher variety of inaccurate throws:

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...-position.aspx

This week, they are talking about how they have addressed one of my bigger issues with the series for years - WR/DB interaction. They will allow assignment of a specific defender to a specific receiver for the entire game and have added jostling from FIFA to allow for more realistic WR/DB interactions and pass interference calls:

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...teraction.aspx

They have also had 3 other blogs which didn't excite me much about procedural awareness, a new ratings philosophy (now guys will be rated as low as a 40 and more of the range will be used), and the addition of half sacks/assisted tackles.

Hopefully, we'll hear more about OL-DL interactions in upcoming blogs, but they seem to finally be making some substantial improvements to the gameplay.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This sounds good, but I'm in the fool me eight times camp.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm sure all those new features will be in the game and done nicely - and then seven huge things that have been fine for the previous 10 years will be broken and the game will be worse than last year.

Call me a pessimist but I don't think a decent Madden that will make us on this board happy is remotely possible. I'm sure I'll be spending the $60 elsewhere this year again.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

bestesst MADDEN eva!!!!!!!!!!!!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I'm a little more optimistic than usual, which I am sure will just set me up for disappointment however last years NCAA and Madden weren't terrible for a change. Whether or not they can actually build on that is yet to be seen though.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Route running has been one of the things I've hated about Madden (and NCAA). Way too unrealistic in the player's movement, and it's good to see it finally get some attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
This sounds good, but I'm in the fool me eight times camp.

Same here, but every so often, Madden takes a leap forward. I may have the years wrong, but I thought both 2000 and 2004 were pretty big leaps for the series, with most of versions before, between and since just minor upgrades (in terms of gameplay and realism - not graphics) and sometimes downgrades.. 2010 would put it a few years behind pace, but maybe it's finally time....I'll definitely hold off on hoping though.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Danny
Head Coach

Hmmm, haven't bought Madden for a few years. Might have to change that this year, but I only have a PC and a Wii, so since PC version is dead, the Wii version would have to measure up with other versions.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I hope they work some of the better ideas from Head Coach 09 into Madden 2010's franchise mode since there won't be a Head Coach 10 apparently.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Will there be a "Collectors Edition" that I can pay $80 for?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hmmm, haven't bought Madden for a few years. Might have to change that this year, but I only have a PC and a Wii, so since PC version is dead, the Wii version would have to measure up with other versions.

It is supposed to be back on the PC this version.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Will there be a "Collectors Edition" that I can pay $80 for?

Maybe in 2014 for the 25th anniversary
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Rizon
Pro Starter

I thought the last version of Madden was ok. I never really play it except for against my friend. At least in this version he can't throw hail mary passes all game to win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

I will not be suckered again... I will not be suckered again... I will not be suckered again...
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How about the goddamn accelerated playclock. I can't believe it isn't in 2009. I only play vs my friend anyways so I can live with the franchise flaws.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The one thing that gives me hope is the change in attitude shown by the dev team over this past year. It's not the promises, but how open they are being about bugs and how they want to fix them. Plus they are touting gameplay areas they are improving rather than going on and on about all the new marketing buzzword features they are cramming in.

However, the lack of accelerated playclock and in-game saves in past versions are worrying to me, and I really want to see these brought back so I have a hope of playing out a franchise (my odds of getting a solider hour plus to actually play out a game are pretty tiny with kids in the house). Otherwise I'm stuck with superstar mode.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I hope they work some of the better ideas from Head Coach 09 into Madden 2010's franchise mode since there won't be a Head Coach 10 apparently.

They have added the developer from Head Coach to the Madden team, so I'm hopeful of some real changes in Franchise mode as well. Without that, the gameplay improvements would be meaningless to me.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

Did the last version have random drafts with, you know, MLBs rated better than "4th round"? That used to really bug me about the "next-gen" versions.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
Ironhead
College Prospect

I haven't purchased Madden in years. I have missed pro football. I'd probably buy this year's version if they at least change a something...anything in franchise mode.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Unfortunately, Madden has become a "rent before buy" for me - but at least there's a glimmer of hope that it'll come through? Please? I miss NFL games.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
RainMaker
General Manager

Amazing how far this franchise has fallen. There was a time when I'd call all the Gamestops/EB Games within driving distance to see if they'd sell me a copy early. Now I usually don't even see it till a friend gets suckered into buying it and I give it a whirl.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #21
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I got Madden and NCAA this year since it was my first year with a next gen console. I've really enjoyed them, but there are flaws in both that annoy me. I'm satisfied enough that I'm skipping Madden 2010 unless the reviews are phenomenal.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

I have trouble justifying the purchase of a sports game that has less features and poorer franchise mode than it did almost 8 years ago.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-02-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm skeptical.. but I do love NCAA 09 and NHL 09.. so we'll see......
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't think you can deny that EA are actually trying to improve the quality of their games. Regardless of how well titles like Madden and co. sell year in and year out, having NBA 2K outsell Live would be considered a pretty big blow. I think EA have finally realised that they can't just rest on their laurels like they have the past decade. Like others have said though, they are at least 5 years behind where they should be, given the amount of sub-par releases we've seen from them.

Last edited by Groundhog : 03-02-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #25
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

If they want to make Madden better, they need to get rid of that NFL exclusive. They can sit in a room all day and think shit up, but nothing makes a product better than competition.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm cautiously optimistic about Madden 2010. I was only able to play a few games in 2009 before I decided it was not for me.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I don't think you can deny that EA are actually trying to improve the quality of their games. Regardless of how well titles like Madden and co. sell year in and year out, having NBA 2K outsell Live would be considered a pretty big blow. I think EA have finally realised that they can't just rest on their laurels like they have the past decade. Like others have said though, they are at least 5 years behind where they should be, given the amount of sub-par releases we've seen from them.

Having a few developers come to the boards and act interested doesn't really mean they are trying to improve the game. The decisions to do that are higher up I'd imagine and based on how many resources are allocated. I've gotten the impression over the years that EA has just been happy to sell what they sell and are scared to take any risks.

Maybe that'll change this year, but I'll take a wait and see approach. I do know that FIFA and NHL were able to make complete 360's in their development without the help of message boards. Big difference is that they had competition in those sports, and in football they don't.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #28
boberot
High School Varsity

Haven't bought Madden since 03. [I too miss playing football games.]

But I would have most happily bought the current Head Coach if they had put it out on the damn PC.

So illogical . . . .
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There is a small chance Madden might lose the NFL Exclusive License deal according to several websites out there:

That VideoGame Blog » EA’s NFL exclusivity might be a thing of the past

The day EA signed a contract with the NFL for Madden to be the only NFL sanctioned football game was a sad day for gamers everywhere. While the Madden franchise hasn’t disappointed too much over the years that it has truly been the only game in town, it still cuts back on the variety and choice of games one can pick-up that involve the NFL. Plus, some of us just randomly hate Madden and would really like to have the option to play something else. I’m not naming names here, but let us just say his first name is M_tthew and his last name is _azak.

Well now Mr. _azak finally has some hope that he can once again enjoy the NFL outside of EA’s grasp. GamePolitics is reporting that a new case in the supreme court may make EA’s exclusive NFL rights illegal. The case is American Needle vs. New Orleans Saints, et al. and should the court side with American Needle it would put EA (and Take-Two, who has exclusive third-party rights to MLB) in violation of federal antitrust statutes. In layman’s terms it means they would be seen as attempting to make a monopoly, which, outside of board games, is very illegal.

A blog that follows the supreme court called SCOTUSblog, lays it out for us: The NFL used to license American Needle to sell hats that bore the logos, the names or other insignia of pro football teams… But, in 2000, the NFL opted to solicit bids for an exclusive license to produce caps and other headwear. Reebok won the bidding, and in 2001 got an exclusive ten-year license. American Needle’s license was not renewed. So it sued the NFL, all of its teams, NFL Properties, and Reebok. American Needle’s case was thrown out by lower courts… “The [Supreme] Court has stated, on more than one occasion,” American Needle asserted, “that application of the Sherman Act to professional sports teams is wholly consistent with Congressional intent…”

This is basically what happened to 2K Sports when EA signed its exclusivity deal with the NFL. Thus if it is illegal for the NFL to do it with clothing than it is illegal for them to do it with games too. GamePolotics also reports that this case has been brought up multiple times in the class-action lawsuit Pecover vs. Electronic Arts. So this case is definitely on EA’s radar.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
There is a small chance Madden might lose the NFL Exclusive License deal according to several websites out there:

That VideoGame Blog » EA’s NFL exclusivity might be a thing of the past

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #31
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if the damage has already been done? 2k Sports doesn't exist anymore, right? EA may lose the exclusive license but they have already knocked out the competition and it will take a while for someone new to ramp up.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I wonder if the damage has already been done? 2k Sports doesn't exist anymore, right? EA may lose the exclusive license but they have already knocked out the competition and it will take a while for someone new to ramp up.

Since 2ksports produced APF 2k8, I'd imagine they would be relatively quick to come out with a new version of a pro football game if the exclusive license really ended. I hope it happens but suspect it is a long shot.

Edit: As far as I know, 2ksports still exists, they just are barebones and producing very few games right now (NBA 2k9 is their only "major" seller.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-06-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #33
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Looks like they are still around

2K Sports - Home
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

getting rid of the damned exclusive contracts would be frigging wonderful!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #35
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Since 2ksports produced APF 2k8, I'd imagine they would be relatively quick to come out with a new version of a pro football game if the exclusive license really ended. I hope it happens but suspect it is a long shot.

Edit: As far as I know, 2ksports still exists, they just are barebones and producing very few games right now (NBA 2k9 is their only "major" seller.)

You are right, I'm not sure what I was thinking. Did 2k-something go away? I'd love a new 2k football game - even though I am enjoying EA's college game.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #36
Epi_862
Mascot

You guys do realize that 2k sports holds the exclusive MLB license, so they are not "barebones"?
Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi_862 View Post
You guys do realize that 2k sports holds the exclusive MLB license, so they are not "barebones"?

Good point. I have been disappointed with their baseball game the last few years so I tend to forget about it.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #38
RainMaker
General Manager

Getting rid of exclusive contracts in all sports would dramatically improve these games across the board.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi_862 View Post

This is the main reason why I don't find the comments from the EA developer concerning 'The Show' to be terribly sincere. When EA compliments The Show and 'endorses' it as being the better game, they're further undermining 2K's game. If that game does badly, there's much less likely of a chance that 2K will pay big bucks for the license, thereby allowing EA a better shot at getting a piece of the MLB pie. Granted, the 2K baseball franchise has been pretty brutal of late, but I still wouldn't rule out other motives by EA.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-07-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Another blog up that talks about how they removed previous bandaids that made FB Dive and other plays cheese, as well as tuned passing speeds to be realistic and more varied among QB's as well as a few other big changes to make the game more sim:

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...en-nfl-10.aspx
Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #41
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Getting rid of exclusive contracts in all sports would dramatically improve these games across the board.

But it wouldn't increase EA's bottom line.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #42
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life View Post
But it wouldn't increase EA's bottom line.

In the case of Madden, it would, since EA is paying more now for an exclusive license (MUCH more) than it did for its previous normal license and the game has not increased in sales enough (at all?) to offset the added expense of an exclusive license.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #43
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
In the case of Madden, it would, since EA is paying more now for an exclusive license (MUCH more) than it did for its previous normal license and the game has not increased in sales enough (at all?) to offset the added expense of an exclusive license.

Sales have actually been declining over the last couple of years. I don't know if they got a bump in the first year of the license, but keep in mind they did that because ESPN 2k5's $20 price tag increased their sales something like 10-fold and they were looking like a threat for 2k6.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #44
RainMaker
General Manager

EA can't be making much off Madden, if anything. They paid a fortune for those rights and the game has been losing customers every year. You had to figure that in their budget, they expected to grab a good percent of the customers that purchased 2K5.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #45
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

It really can't cost EA too much to make a roster patch every year can it?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #46
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Just cruising youtube and found this. Makes me so sad.

What could have been...
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #47
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

dola

That offensive line play at 1:00 with the double teaming...wow.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #48
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah but...Madden has realistic flash bulbs in the stands.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #49
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Yeah but...Madden has realistic flash bulbs in the stands.

LOL.....I thought about that the other night at the MU/OU basketball game. I snapped a photo from behind the backboard right as Blake Griffin was shooting a free throw.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #50
Mike1409
High School Varsity

New info for NCAA custom conferences.

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...nferences.aspx

Should be great for FOFC dynasties!!!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote