Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

New OOTP patch=Hot Mess

Hats off to the developers. They've now created a situation where everyone has to be on the same exact patch version or their game is incompatible. Why this is a clusterfuck is cause if you are in more than one league you may have to pick and choose which one to stay on cause of the patch.

Oh and not to mention that Mac users are fucked cause they're not patched and there's another patch this week cause, you guessed it, there's a slight problem with the new patch.

It is one thing to not have one version not be compatible with another. But to have 10.3 and 10.2 not to work together is retarded

Last edited by stevew : 10-19-2009 at 12:01 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
DanGarion
Coordinator

Welcome to Hollywood!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

User A runs the mac version=He's boned unless we stay on the old version.

User B runs the Windows version, one of his leagues that he runs has already switched. So he either runs two versions or drops out.

User C is in multiple leagues, some have upgraded, others have not. Either he runs multiple versions or drops out of certain leagues.

Tell me, how does this work in a sane world.

I could understand if the commish had to have the most updated version in order to read exports from both. But not when the commish version only reads exports from the same exact version.

I never want to upgrade versions midseason if possible, but it looks like I might have to.

I mean, unless I want to suspend game action for several weeks.

Last edited by stevew : 10-19-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hey, maybe it's a good thing FOBL is still on OOTP9.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

forcing everyone to be on the same patch doesn't seem unreasonable to me. it probably helps avoid potential support issues.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Hey, maybe it's a good thing FOBL is still on OOTP9.
No kidding. I wonder why Markus hates his customers so much.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I can understand this being frustrating - especially with the Mac side of things, but they're fixing the issue as promptly as possible and imho its great to see a small indie dev running active support for non-windows platform.

PS - While there isn't 'back compatibility' for leagues (which is imho reasonable) - you can always keep two installations active I believe if you're in leagues running differing versions; ie. install the old version to a seperate area to the updated version.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
PS - While there isn't 'back compatibility' for leagues (which is imho reasonable) - you can always keep two installations active I believe if you're in leagues running differing versions; ie. install the old version to a seperate area to the updated version.

No, since these are minor versions of a major release, it is one or the other.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I can understand this being frustrating - especially with the Mac side of things, but they're fixing the issue as promptly as possible and imho its great to see a small indie dev running active support for non-windows platform.

A patch shouldn't be released till all versions are done... Especially in a game that uses multiplayer. And an end user shouldn't be forced to use multiple versions of the software to deal with being in multiple leagues. In previous versions of OOTP usually the only one that HAD to HAVE the patch was the one running the league, all the others could get by without the patch during the transition.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
miked
College Starter

This is especially silly considering this patch has been "done" for well over a week and merely waiting on eLicense for something.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
forcing everyone to be on the same patch doesn't seem unreasonable to me. it probably helps avoid potential support issues.

well, considering an export file is probably a small amount of data one sends to the commish, yeah, this is unreasonable.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
Icy
Pro Starter

Umm isn't that the standard for every game? that everybody needs to run the same version, specially if it has fixes/tweaks for multiplayer.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Umm isn't that the standard for every game? that everybody needs to run the same version, specially if it has fixes/tweaks for multiplayer.

It didn't used to be for OOTP.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

Yeah-didn't used to be for MP.

At least let the commish run the newest version, and it actually be able to READ the older versions exports.

I mean, I'm baffled at how bad this move was by the developers.

Last edited by stevew : 10-19-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Maybe "c*nt like" was a bit strong.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There should never ever be a situation where every league across the OOTP universe has to switch at the exact same moment to a new patch. And there should never be a situation where I have to tell owners "we're running this patch or quit."
Old 10-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

I've posted in the Tech Support section, to add your anger here is the link.

Patching and Online Leagues - OOTP Developments Forums
Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
spleen1015
Coordinator

Why does it have to be a "run this patch or quit" scenario? I know it is an issue, but you could be patient until everything gets worked out.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but patience is limiting. Especially this patch which was already at least 2-3 weeks later. I mean do I want to shelve a league for a month just cause they screwed this.

I just want to run fake baseball games and enjoy fake baseball.

Last edited by stevew : 10-19-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #19
cody8200
High School Varsity

Pretty much every multi player game in the world requires everyone be on the same patch. Just try playing any PS3 or XBox game online without being on it. The patch fixed over 300 bugs. Without everyone being on the same version, it would be madness. I agree that the Mac patch should be out at the same time but to complain about everyone having to be on the same patch is crazy (because its the standard, not the exception). Asa far as old version of OOTp working before like this. The game has many many more features than it used to. At least the game still works with old versions of OOTP.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
rjolley
College Starter

The other side of that argument is with the PS3 and Xbox, you're playing live against other players. With OOTP, you're sending a text file, so the need to be on the same version could be minimized. You could have the commish on the newest version with members a patch or 2 behind. Just have the commish's version have the ability to convert the exports to the new version if needed.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And Xbox live would require everyone to upgrade to the newest version. Other leagues/commish might not want to upgrade midseason(and I can't blame them for this). So if you're in a multiple league scenerio this is madness.

Like i said, it's a hot mess.

They may as well went ahead and disabled everyone's EXE and did a force upgrade if they were going to do something like this.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Yeah it would be better to force the patch on everyone immediately then to think people should install multiple versions to support people in more then one league.

Of course Mac users would still be stuck in the mud...
Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
Danny
Head Coach

Patches for all versions, all sites should have been released at the same time. That said, if that was done, I have no issue with everyone being required to have the latest version. I am sure there is a reason for this based upon things that were fixed.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Rushing to patch after a "major patch" release is playing with fire in the first place...there is almost always another "minor" patch released shortly afterwards to fix any additional issues.

As an aside, the patch fucked up my install and I'm sick of troubleshooting this shit. I guess it's just a reminder as to why I haven't purchased OOTP for several years...and likely won't ever again.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah, I can't forsee us upgrading from OOTPX for at least a version or two. I enjoy the hell out of it, but I'm not apt to just give them 40 dollars of my own money every year for the fun of it.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #26
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I ran into this with BBCF when an import issue was causing errors with updating saves. There was also a smaller, "unknown" issue that no one would have noticed but could have impacted the import's stability. So, on one of my old updates everyone had to be atleast a certain patch level.

It can be frustrating, but there are times where in order to guarantee league stability - you need to have everyone on the same version. Knowing Marcus, I would say just to give him a sync all the versions and it shouldn't be an issue going forward.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #27
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i think ootpx is in general a very solid release.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. For the most part I agree.

I wish they would have made us more aware that the patch was an all or nothing thing.

I'm fairly sure they track online leagues. A little note asking every league to upgrade on or by a certain date "for the greater good"
Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #29
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

There were many online league related bugs fixed which results in team exports/imports being incompatible between versions. It has been that way in the past a few times already, so nothing really new here. Online leagues should make sure that all people run the same version anyway.

People who play in several online leagues can simply keep two different .exe files of OOTP, the new one and one old version for league who have not yet converted.

Regarding the Mac/Linux version, there was one licensing issue out of our control which needs to be fixed first. An updated patch for all platforms will be released in a couple of days.

So, all is good, no need to be upset
Markus
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #30
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Rushing to patch after a "major patch" release is playing with fire in the first place...there is almost always another "minor" patch released shortly afterwards to fix any additional issues.

As an aside, the patch fucked up my install and I'm sick of troubleshooting this shit. I guess it's just a reminder as to why I haven't purchased OOTP for several years...and likely won't ever again.

So, just to be clear here, the patch fucked up your install of a version of OOTP that you bought several years ago? Really, did you think the patch worked on more than the latest version of the game? That seems unrealistic.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #31
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:

If you haven't purchased the game, how did you get it? Gift or theft?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 AM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This was the first version he bought in several years.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #33
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't know. I haven't bought a version in years isn't the same as I hadn't bought a version in years.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He is in my league. I would assume he acquired a legal copy even if he did pay for it with Loonies
Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #35
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
He is in my league. I would assume he acquired a legal copy even if he did pay for it with Loonies
To be clear, I never thought he had an illegal copy. I thought he had an older version.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #36
Nice Guy Eddie
Banned

Quote:

It's actually a great tip of the cap to you, and SI Marc.
Nice Guy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

See? I told you people that Markus loves his customers.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'll tip my cap to Marcus for entering this maelstrom. Not many would be so brave.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

Well when a league generates $900 of revenue for you, I'm sure it's best to love the people that give it to you. Especially when the league has been around for multiple versions of the game...

I do appreciate it though.

Last edited by DanGarion : 10-20-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #40
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Correct...I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. And I also used twonies, not just loonies, to purchase this copy.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #41
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Correct...I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. And I also used twonies, not just loonies, to purchase this copy.

Aha, Good show then. Hopefully this Friday's patch fixes up all of these issues for both Macs and PC's.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #42
Sgran
High School Varsity

Did i ever tell you about the time my center fielder dropped a routing fly ball to lose game 7 of the world series? The ball was hit by the opposing team's relief pitcher in his first official at bat. Does this latest patch fix this bug?