Never wear it 2 1.34%
No real consistency to when I wear/don't wear one 10 6.71%
Trout don't need seat belts 0 0%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Seat Belts

Once again, I read of accident where two people are killed when they are thrown through the windshield because of not wearing seat belts. If they had worn them, they pretty clearly would have lived. I've been in one serious accident in my life and can't imagine what would have happened had I not had one on. So I ask...how often do you wear one?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Always, and I won't leave the garage until the rest of the family has theirs on.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Always, and I won't leave the garage until the rest of the family has theirs on.

Ditto. Same with anyone from work or anyone else riding in my car

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Grover
Pro Starter

Always. I think at this point it's been ingrained and is something I couldn't ever change even if I wanted to.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

More often now. Up until November of last year I lived in a smaller town and very rarely drove above 35. Even though it obviously would have been safer I still very rarely did. Keep in mind I am only twenty-four now so there is that sense of invincibility that you have when younger.

Now I moved down here to Springboro (Dayton, OH) and almost regularly drive on I-75 and 675 I put it on prior to that. If I am not hopping on the interstate it is probably 50/50. Sometimes I get a weird feeling and put it on.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wear it with the caveat that I don't when I'm in passenger vans to and from the airport. They typically don't have belts, although the way some of these guys drive, especially in Boston and NY, I'm more likely to die there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Danny
Head Coach

I was impacted severely recently by someone not wearing their seat belt. If only she had kept it on the entire time then The Vow would never have been made.

In seriousness, on occasion my wife doesn't want to put in on right away when we start to drive, but I won't go anywhere in the car until she puts it on. Assuming you have people who care about you, there is no excuse to ever not wear your seat belt.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't go anywhere without it. I see cars that have been in accidents 5 days a week and can not fathom any reason someone wouldn't wear one. It's like fucking a hooker without a condom.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I would be extremely uncomfortable without one on. It is automatic, and has been since childhood.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
More often now. Up until November of last year I lived in a smaller town and very rarely drove above 35. Even though it obviously would have been safer I still very rarely did. Keep in mind I am only twenty-four now so there is that sense of invincibility that you have when younger.

This was the case for me when I was younger. Not that the there wasn't an interstate near me back then but it just wasn't a concern when I would get on once in a while.

Now, I won't even pull out of the garage or driveway until everybody is wearing their seatbelt. Just a good habit that I'm happy I don't have to think about.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's interesting to think about the dynamics of the situation as this as it's one of those "government mandates". I remember growing up about how people would have that "they can't tell me what to do so I just won't do it" stance.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Always in the front, rarely if in the back (but I'm rarely in the back). And almost entirely because state law now allows you to be pulled over solely for a seatbelt violation (originally it could only be cited if you were stopped for something else, was not grounds for stop when first passed). It's been a moneymaker for local law enforcement.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

If I'm with 3-4 other people and the only option in the back is the waist-only belt (which is pretty rare now), then I sometimes haven't bothered. That'd be the only time it isn't an automatic habit.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I know an EMT who's been on the job for 35 years. Said he's only pulled one dead person out of a seatbelt, but has seen a couple hundred dead over his career from an accident who weren't wearing seatbelts. That's pretty clear odds IMO.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I know an EMT who's been on the job for 35 years. Said he's only pulled one dead person out of a seatbelt, but has seen a couple hundred dead over his career from an accident who weren't wearing seatbelts. That's pretty clear odds IMO.

wow
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
Swaggs
Coordinator

Always wear one when driving or front seat and insist that others do whenever I am driving (or someone is driving one of my cars).

Occasionally, if I am in the back seat and it is packed, I won't wear one, but it wouldn't be for more than a couple minute drive.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Tigercat
College Starter

Would probably be swimming with the fishies in lake Pontchartrain if not for one. (Another car slammed into me seriously when I was driving over the lake in the rain back in college.) I think I would feel nervous and naked without one.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
Drake
assmaster

Strangely enough, I was religious about my seatbelt/felt naked without it even in my truck (which was exempt under Indiana law until a couple of years ago)...and I realized with this post that I somehow got out of the habit in the last two or three years. Wasn't a conscious thing, just stopped wearing it.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I had a friend die because of her seat belt. I went anti seat belt for years, and justified it as it would be my time, it's my time....Now, I won't go anywhere without one on. Front or backseat. I have traveled and driven way to much over the years for a living and I have seen to much to not wear one.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
DanGarion
Coordinator

About 45,000 die in auto accidents a year 9,500 lives are saved every year by wearing seatbelts. It's just plain stupid not to do it, unless you have some sort of deathwish.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #21
Ryan S
Quarterback

It has been the law for most of my life in the UK, so it feels odd if I am sitting in a car without a seatbelt.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #22
DougW
High School Varsity

I wear mine when my wife & 4 year old is in the car(as do they). Not sure if I'm setting an example or want the extra protection for my family in a crash.

I slip mine on if I see a cop. If circumstances allow (limited lighting, distance between us, behind me, or ahead of me all play into whether I wear one.

If's its a visible day, and the cop is near me, I'll usually just let it be off.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #23
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
About 45,000 die in auto accidents a year 9,500 lives are saved every year by wearing seatbelts. It's just plain stupid not to do it, unless you have some sort of deathwish.

Interesting numbers DG. And, close to what I'd expect. But it plays like this :

Do you wanna be held back by the man, telling you that you HAVE to wear it ? Statistics can't prove that people not wearing seatbelts caused more injuries to those wearing seatbelts - that wouldn't been sustained had they all been wearing the belts.

Bottom line is really Sheep vs. Rebels. So, carry on, following the sheepy horde, doing what the ones in the front say. Much fun to be had!

I keep creepoing along, doin' what I do. Smokein squares that I keep rolled up in my sleeve, under my leather Jacket.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
MJ4H
Coordinator

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #25
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Always in the front, rarely if in the back (but I'm rarely in the back). And almost entirely because state law now allows you to be pulled over solely for a seatbelt violation (originally it could only be cited if you were stopped for something else, was not grounds for stop when first passed). It's been a moneymaker for local law enforcement.

At most of the schools here there are big signs about seat belt usage (showing monthly percentages). I think it's extremely important since they allow 15 and 16 year old kids to drive, and I know it's a big moneymaker as one of my friends is a GSP and says he gets about 10 a day. It's the stupidest thing because it's a double whammy...it will save your life and it's the law.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #26
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Always. I think at this point it's been ingrained and is something I couldn't ever change even if I wanted to.
Same here. I don't even think about it. It's just a natural progression I go through when starting up the car.

I was young but the Bobby Hurley accident sort of impacted me. Remember hearing about it and how much damage not wearing your seat belt could do. Just didn't want to ever find myself in that position.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post

Do you wanna be held back by the man, telling you that you HAVE to wear it ? Statistics can't prove that people not wearing seatbelts caused more injuries to those wearing seatbelts - that wouldn't been sustained had they all been wearing the belts.

Bottom line is really Sheep vs. Rebels. So, carry on, following the sheepy horde, doing what the ones in the front say. Much fun to be had!

I keep creepoing along, doin' what I do. Smokein squares that I keep rolled up in my sleeve, under my leather Jacket.

Just because it is the law doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. Seems pretty stupid to me to risk your life just to defy the government.

If there was a law saying you aren't allowed to close your garage door with the car running would you do it to spite "the man?"

Putting a seatbelt on takes literally 2 seconds and is guaranteed to make driving safer. Seems silly not to do it, regardless of the law telling you to or not to. There are plenty of laws in place to protect idiots from themselves, this is just another example.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Noticed the comments about it being ingrained to wear a belt. I've forgot to completely buckle my kid's belts on rare occasion due to being distracted. It's happened probably 4-5 times over 5 years. Both of my children will throw an absolute crying sh#$-fit to draw attention that they realize their safety belts aren't latched. We always praise them heavily when it happens. I can guarantee that my kids will never think twice about buckling up as they grow older.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

Same thing with our kids. It's great.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #30
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Testing can prove that it is safer to wear a seatbelt than not wear one. Also airbags are only effective if you are wearing a seatbelt. Not to mention there are more people to think about than yourself when you decide to not wear a seatbelt (family, friends, the others involved in the accident). This is just like the argument of people that don't walk their dogs on a leash. Stop being selfish and fucking walk your dog on a leash so I don't have to control my dog when your dog comes walking around sniffing it (had this happen this morning).
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #31
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just because it is the law doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. Seems pretty stupid to me to risk your life just to defy the government.

If there was a law saying you aren't allowed to close your garage door with the car running would you do it to spite "the man?"

Putting a seatbelt on takes literally 2 seconds and is guaranteed to make driving safer. Seems silly not to do it, regardless of the law telling you to or not to. There are plenty of laws in place to protect idiots from themselves, this is just another example.

Ya got it all wrong. Which, isn't surprising, because the man has obviously had his influence deep ingrained in you. Think about booze. That stuff was outlawed, against the law. Well, a few rebels sought out ways to get around The Man - until eventually, The Man decided they may as well give in and try to make a buck out of it themselves. Same think will happen with seatbelts I'm sure. Once our information starts getting out there, our movement will grow & the strreets will be filled with people not wearing the "Car Handcuffs" (as we call 'em in meetings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Noticed the comments about it being ingrained to wear a belt. I've forgot to completely buckle my kid's belts on rare occasion due to being distracted. It's happened probably 4-5 times over 5 years. Both of my children will throw an absolute crying sh#$-fit to draw attention that they realize their safety belts aren't latched. We always praise them heavily when it happens. I can guarantee that my kids will never think twice about buckling up as they grow older.

Cute story, but, kids grow up. And what we know about kids is that they sometimes rebel against their parents, love to feel involved in something big, and are very impressionable. Pretty soon, the movement will have grown, and by the time it's hittin on all gears, you kids will be our prime targets.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #32
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

ditto
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

When I'm going to work or to the kids' school (both about a half a mile away with almost no intersections), I usually don't. Anything other than that and it's automatic.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ya got it all wrong. Which, isn't surprising, because the man has obviously had his influence deep ingrained in you. Think about booze. That stuff was outlawed, against the law. Well, a few rebels sought out ways to get around The Man - until eventually, The Man decided they may as well give in and try to make a buck out of it themselves. Same think will happen with seatbelts I'm sure. Once our information starts getting out there, our movement will grow & the strreets will be filled with people not wearing the "Car Handcuffs" (as we call 'em in meetings).

Cute story, but, kids grow up. And what we know about kids is that they sometimes rebel against their parents, love to feel involved in something big, and are very impressionable. Pretty soon, the movement will have grown, and by the time it's hittin on all gears, you kids will be our prime targets.

Could someone let Lungs know that his new marijuana is a big hit?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
DougW
High School Varsity

I've hallucinated an entire huge, ground gaining, No Seatbelt Law movement ? Again ? Cripes.

Hey, did you hear about .....
Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #36
korme
Go Reds

I wear my seatbelt when I hit the highway
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #37
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I have no earthly idea why anyone wouldn't wear a seat belt, but you should know that not wearing one while sitting in the backseat not only puts your health at serious risk in an accident, it also puts everyone else in the car at serious risk. In an accident, you're going to become a human missile moving at whatever speed the car was, and you will imperil the people in the front seat as you fly through the car at impact.

For the safety of your family and friends in the other seats of the car, for the love of Pete wear your damn seat belt. I mean, seriously - what possible reason could there be to not do so?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #38
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I have no earthly idea why anyone wouldn't wear a seat belt, but you should know that not wearing one while sitting in the backseat not only puts your health at serious risk in an accident, it also puts everyone else in the car at serious risk. In an accident, you're going to become a human missile moving at whatever speed the car was, and you will imperil the people in the front seat as you fly through the car at impact.

For the safety of your family and friends in the other seats of the car, for the love of Pete wear your damn seat belt. I mean, seriously - what possible reason could there be to not do so?

Yeah, the test crash videos with test dummies unbelted in the back seat are pretty telling. They're floating around the internet. It's pretty frightening.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
PilotMan
Head Coach

Seinfeld: Stopping Short

There was no embed for this one, but it fits.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #41
SportsDino
College Prospect

People who do not wear their seat belts are stupid.

Near zero cost, pretty much infinite gain (even at low probability, and you see those assholes out there, do you really want your life any more in their hands?).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #42
molson
General Manager

My grandmother went through the windshield at least 3 times, never wore a seatbelt. Maybe some of that time they didn't have seatbelts in cars yet, but they certainly did by the last 30 years of her life at least. And she wasn't any kind of anti-government/law person or anything like that, just a regular old housewife/mother type like millions of others from that generation. I never asked her why she didn't wear one, but I wonder what she'd say. I don't understand, but I'm sure she wouldn't understand a lot of shit I do too.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #43
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
People who do not wear their seat belts are stupid.

I love paintbrushes.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I love paintbrushes.

In this case it's absolutely justified.

Then again - I look at it as a form of natural selection.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #45
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

People, especially on the internet, like to label others based on every choice they make.

I can see saying you don't understand that decision, but c'mon. You get in the car with somebody and they don't put their seatbelt on and you think, " That person must be stupid." Give me a break.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-26-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #46
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
People, especially on the internet, like to label others based on every choice they make.

I can see saying you don't understand that decision, but c'mon. You get in the car with somebody and they don't put their seatbelt on and you think, " That person must be stupid." Give me a break.

That's exactly what I'd think.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #47
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

To each their own
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #48
Buccaneer
Head Coach

This is one of the greatest actions of common sense there is, on the highway or any other roadways or where there are other vehicles that can hit you (like in a parking lot). Even at low speeds under 35, a critical hit can make you bounce off something that can really hurt you.

Always buckle up (and everyone else in the vehicle), it's really uncool to not to.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #49
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Thought this should be added

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #50
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I agree with DT. You are a colossal moron if you don't wear a seat belt. There is zero reason not to.