Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2001, 10:17 AM   #1
Tommie Frazier
n00b

Post Salary Negotiations and Renegotiations

This topic has probably been covered over and over on here. But I would like some tips on salary negotiation for the 2001 FOF game. I've read tips on how to sign players for previous versions of this game but they don't seem to apply as well to the new game. I'm in my 7th season of my Falcons Franchise and have mainly been going along with what the demands of the player have been. So if someone could post their ideas or point me to a previous posting it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tommie Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 12:08 PM   #2
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Actually, Tommie, most players don't like to negotiate, especially draft choices. The only way I've had luck renogiating with veterans is by adding a year to the end of the contract they request, reducing the cap hit for the bonus they are requesting.

With rookies, they pretty much refuse to budge off their demands. From my experience, I'm about ready to set the "automatically sign draft picks" option as ON, since that would save me a step...

------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Bond; I expect you to die."

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 04:38 PM   #3
Jas_lov
College Starter

Yeah, it's much harder to renegotiate in this years version than FOF 2. You still can. I remember I overpaid a guy just to keep him on my team. I cut his salary down the next year. Renegotating happens all around the NFL. Like with the Packers, Butler has already done it. Favre and Levens will be soon to follow.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 11:43 AM   #4
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Jas,

I think he's asking about regular negotiating - trying to get players to budge off of the salary or bonus that they want.

It's is still easy to renegotiate a contract, but I've found that renegotiating still pretty much entails "give them what they want, as they won't accept anything less"...

Of course, I could certainly be worng, and probably am...
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Bond; I expect you to die."

[This message has been edited by CubsFan915 (edited 01-31-2001).]

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 12:58 PM   #5
NovaBlazer
n00b

Some folks just do NOT renegotiate. But, if your team has been doing well the last few years people with high "play for winner" and high "loyalty" seem to be more apt to take a 20% cut. Of course this only really seems to apply to team members that just went FA.
NovaBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 11:18 PM   #6
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I've had a lot of success in getting the future years of a contract reduced considerably from the player's demand. There seem to be a lot of cases where, as long as you meet the player's first year demands and bonus, you can significantly reduce his salary in subsequent years. I tried this with a first round draft pick in my most recent draft and was able to get him to sign for his first year's salary request for all five of his requested years and his bonus.

While this doesn't help you in the immediate year, it pays off down the road.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote