Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2001, 03:01 PM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

Post 3-4 vs. 4-3 in FOF2K1

Before I started playing FOF, the 3-4 was, to me, some antiquated defense the Bengals played in the 80's. Of course, the depth of my football knowledge is about as deep as Eric Dickerson's game-day analysis - but I'm learning.
Anyway - for the first 100 seasons or so of FOF, I completely ignored the 3-4 in favor of the 4-3. Why? Well, it seemed like the game defaulted to it, plus I instinctually felt that having 4 down linemen would be better suited against the run. Then one crisp December day I watched my Skins get pummeled by the Steelers and their 3-4 and I started thinking...are you more athletic and flexible in your defensive sets when you subtract a defensive tackle and add a linebacker? I am beginning to think the answer is 'yes'.

First, let's compare the two defenses:

The 4-3: This is, by far, the most common defensive set in the NFL (Baltimore and Tampa Bay both employ it). There are four down linemen (2 DTs, 2 DEs), flanked by 2 OLB and a MLB. The FS takes receivers who are released out of the flat, while the SS acts like a 4th linebacker, plugging the available running lanes or shutting down the medium-distance pass.. The two CBs are asked to cover man-to-man or release their guys to the FS and SS.

The 3-4: The biggest difference, obviously, is that you have an extra LB and one less DT. The two middle linebackers are going to plug the gaps in order to try to stop the run, while the OLB will rush on the corners or cover the man coming out of the backfield. The secondary behaves similarly, but with more run-stopping responsibility for the SS.

How they apply in FOF2k1: The success of the 3-4 seems to turn on three positions: DT (run stopper), MLB(run stopper), and OLB (pass rusher/defender). While the 4-3 is dependent on good DEs (pass rushers) and DTs (run stoppers). In addition, you need a lockdown CB, run stopping SS, and FS with a high interception rate in the secondary (in either defense).

So - how can we apply this? There are several things we know:

1) Very good linebackers are abundant in FOF2k1. If you are trolling in FA, you shouldnt have any trouble picking one or two up every few years. In addition, its not unheard of to draft a LB with good potentials across the board in the 4th or 5th round. Linebackers arent terribly expensive. In my current WLC career (2025) a very good LB can be had for 7-9 million per year. Linebackers last long, often playing into 14th and 15th seasons.

2) Defensive Ends are just the opposite of linebackers in FOF2K1. They are expensive, they seem to break down more, and they really see a drop in ratings after their 9th and 10th seasons. In addition, finding a DE with both Run, Pass Rush, and Endurance ratings over 70 after the first 15 picks in the draft is close to impossible.

3) High blitz percentages work. Particularly if you play the nickel much more than average and drop in secondary guys with high interception rates. The QB feels the pressure and eventually will be pushed into a bad decision. If you can resist the urge to send multplie blitzers on every down you will usually have the field fairly well covered.

4) Run-stopping Defensive Tackles are there in the late rounds of the draft. I have frequently gotten a guy with run defense potentials in the high fifties, low sixties late in the draft. While the endurance isnt always there, its fairly easy to stockpile enough of these guys to get a rotation going.

Here is a quick look at the Richmond Bulldozers - we've rounded into form recently and have allowed 244-282-307-206-275 the past five years. Here is the 206 point unit (with acquisition type in parentheses):
Code:
DE Austin Thorn(FA-1) 60-31-70 (run/rush/endurance) NT Duane Mayes(D-2) 66-48-64 DE Trent Kennedy(D-1) 32-72-66 (against my philosophy, but took what I could get) WOLB Matt Friesz(FA-1) 60-60-56-29-59 (run/rush/mtom/zone/endurance) WILB Vern Neely(FA-1) 94-75-84-50-74 SILB Percy Warren(FA-2) 87-60-69-38-83 SOLB R McDonald(FA-2) 31-83-71-78-51 CB Herman Lynch(D-2) 96-98-84-60-51 (run/mtom/zone/int/endurance) CB Mitchell Brock(FA-1) 41-77-36-59-51 FS Vic Wimmer(D-2) 51-55-56-96-68 SS Jimmy Farrell(D-2) 69-85-81-82-49

Anyway - for the 4-3 to work, you have to rely on very talented Defensive Ends - a difficult commodity to obtain. If you don't, you expose yourself to the outside, breakaway run, as well as the guys coming out of the backfield to make the catch.

The beauty of the 3-4 is that you can stock your defensive front with guys who have but one job: stop the run. Luckily, run stopping linemen are plentiful in the game. The down linemen have no business rushing the passer in the 3-4. That's the job of the OLBs. While your down linemen and strong side MLB are stopping the run, the rest of your guys are harrassing the QB and shutting down the flat. Once the run is gone, your QB has to throw - and you'll be ready because you play a high percentage of nickel where the nickel back (either S or CB) has at least a 65 in interception rate.

So, the argument for the 3-4 is that it is a) easier and less expensive to build and maintain b) better suited to stop the outside run c) better suited to stopping the short passing game. d) perhaps better against the run in general because your down linemen have but one purpose - stop the run.

Here are my defensive settings when using the 3-4:

Code:
Run Expectations in Normal Situations: Default. Defensive Front: 4-3 (0) 3-4 (100) Tendencies: Goal Line Package 50 Dime Package 50 Nickel Package 60-65 Prevent Pack 50 All Out Run/Pass 50-55 Blitz Tend 75 Blitz Multiples 60-65 Blitz Percentage by Position LOLB 30 LILB 10 RILB 10 ROLB 30 LCB 5 RCB 5 SS 5 FS 5 Pass Coverage in Normal Situations Man 35 Bump 25 2-Deep 20 3-Deep 15 4-Deep 5
Anyhow - I would be interested in getting thoughts from others on these two sets (what you use, your success, etc...)

[This message has been edited by Subby (edited 02-05-2001).]
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote