Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
Easy Mac

I heart Andruw Jones

Never thought I would ever type that sentence, but he's getting huge hits every time we need one.

Prolly still lose, but he's great.

I heart Chipper too.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Philliesfan980
Banned

It's amazing what a contract year can do.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
It's amazing what a contract year can do.

Andruw is signed through 2007.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
Easy Mac

His contract isn't over until like '07
Old 07-26-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
Philliesfan980
Banned

My mistake - I really thought I read somewhere that he was a free agent.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Easy Mac

Alright Andruw, make my hearting worthwhile.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
Easy Mac

It is... that is all.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
My mistake - I really thought I read somewhere that he was a free agent.
Wishful thinking, huh?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

A 4 pitch bases loaded walk. Nice way to end the game.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Easy Mac

I didn't know Andruw was cable of a 4-pitch walk. Bobby must have turned on the shock collar.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:39 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

Thanks for helping get even closer to the Wild Card...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:21 AM   #13
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Andruw drew a walk to win Game 6 against the Mets in the 00 NLCS. I believe it was 4 straight, but I'm not sure.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #14
Easy Mac

Have I mentioned how much I hate the Braves bullpen? Fucking no talent ass clowns.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Have I mentioned how much I hate the Braves bullpen? Fucking no talent ass clowns.

Isn't this giving them a little too much credit this season?
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 PM   #16
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

What's the deal with Jeff Francoeur? I haven't been able to watch the games all season. What are they saying about him? How well was he hitting in the minors?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
What's the deal with Jeff Francoeur? I haven't been able to watch the games all season. What are they saying about him? How well was he hitting in the minors?
from tomorrow's AJC ...
According to other teams, the Braves are no longer considering a trade for a right-handed hitting outfielder. It's easy to see why.

In three weeks, Jeff Francoeur has shown that he is definitely ready for the major leagues.

The 21-year-old had his second three-hit game and drove in the winning run Wednesday night as the Braves took a two-game lead in the National League East with another one-run victory over the skidding Washington Nationals.

The bullpen blew a lead in the top of the eighth inning, but it didn't matter. It just made the bottom of the inning more exciting for the crowd of 40,625 at Turner Field.

Right fielder Francoeur's bloop double to center field gave the Braves the 4-3 victory and it will be hard to get the Parkview High School graduate, hitting .433 after 11 games, out of the lineup.

"The kid can play," said veteran third baseman Chipper Jones, who started the rally with a two-out single and stole second despite his score foot when the Nationals didn't hold him on.

"We tricked 'em," Jones said. With first base now open, Adam LaRoche was walked intentionally, but Francoeur spoiled the strategy.

Behind in the count 2-and-1, Washington reliever Gary Majewski jammed Francoeur with a fast ball, but the rookie was able to drop the ball into no-man's land.

"That's part of being a golfer. You get the extra spin on it," said Francoeur, breaking into a big smile. "It was a little sand wedge.

"I didn't know if it would drop. I luckily placed it in the right place."

Shortly after he was called up from Class AA in early July, manager Bobby Cox pinch-hit for Francoeur in a similar situation and Ryan Langerhans got the winning hit. This time, Cox said that he didn't consider making a move.

Francoeur, who started for the first time against a right-hander, has shown that he can hit all kind of pitchers.

"Give kudos to Bobby for putting him in there against the righty," Jones said. "He certainly didn't disappoint."

Cox said that Francoeur, who has three homers and 10 RBIs in 30 at-bats, will be back in the lineup Thursday, although the Nationals will start another right-hander as they try to avoid a sweep.

Cox will give slumping Kelly Johnson a day off, with Langerhans starting in left field.

"What he's done is put the ball in play," Cox said of Francoeur, who had two RBIs against the Nationals. "Whenever you do that, you have a chance to get a base hit. He's hit a lot of balls hard and his soft ones are falling, too. You have to give him credit."

"Not too many balls were hit hard, but I know he'll take them," Jones said of Francoeur's three hits. "I know I would."

Although the only ball hit hard was a homer by Marcus Giles off Esteban Loaiza in the fourth inning, the Braves gave Tim Hudson a 3-1 lead as he tried to get his 100th career victory in his 200th game.

The bullpen couldn't hold it. John Foster walked the first two batters in the eighth inning and Dan Kolb gave up a pair of RBI hits before settling down. That left the game tied and Francoeur soon became the hero.

"The outfielders were playing keep and I knew when the ball went up that they weren't going to get it," Jones said. "Luckily, it fell in."

Chris Reitsma pitched a perfect ninth inning for his 11th save and Washington lost its eighth consecutive one-run game.

Francoeur struck out in his first at-bat, but then had three consecutive hits.

"The fans have been unbelievable the last two nights, getting the chop back just like in 1991 when I was watching the games," Francoeur said.

Of course, he was just seven when the Braves started their run of 13th consecutive division titles. Now he's trying to help them win No. 14.

When he was called up, Francoeur was hitting .275 for Mississippi and was tied for second in the Southern League with 62 RBIs. He was second in doubles with 28, with 13 HR's.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-28-2005 at 12:22 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote