jbmagic
Pro Starter

NHL New Rule Discusssions/New Schedule Format

Some of the rule changes that will take effect for the 2005-06 NHL season:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...30&hubName=nhl

Allowing the two-line pass (no red line) like international hockey;

- Reduction in size of goalie equipment;

- Using the AHL crease and limits on goaltender puck handling;

- No tie games; using a penalty shootout after overtime; After a five minute overtime, three players will be selected from each team for the shootout. If still tied, it will then be a sudden death shootout;

- No-touch icing;

- Bringing back tag-up offside;

- Move nets back two feet towards end boards;

- Reducing the size of the neutral zone;

- A team that ices the puck cannot make a line change prior to the ensuing face-off;

- Officials will have the discretion to wave off icing if it is deemed to be the result of an attempted pass;

- A player that instigates a fight in the final five minutes of a game will receive a game misconduct and automatic one-game suspension;

- Zero tolerance on interference, hooking and holding/obstruction

- Delay of game penalties for any players shooting the puck over the glass in his defensive zone.

i would love them to let them continue the power play the full time regardless if someone scores.

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-22-2005 at 04:06 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

ooo, you're sure to get some scrutiny for this one.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

any sport that has a mock lottery needs something.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
any sport that has a mock lottery needs something.

guess the nba is pretty screwed up then, cuz they have lots of mock lotteries in the days leading upto the actual lottery
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
- Bringing back tag-up offside

What exactly is tag-up offsides?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
guess the nba is pretty screwed up then, cuz they have lots of mock lotteries in the days leading upto the actual lottery

I've never seen a mock lottery.

A mock draft yes. A prediction of what order the ping pong balls come out...never.

Show me the people reading lots of mock lotteries.

Hold on...I'm doing a mock lottery for tonites pick 4.....3 7 2 5 will be the numbers.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

I've seen NBA lottery simulators before where you press a button and it randomly spits out a draft order...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/18801

Quote:
Tag-up offside rule: enables players already inside the offensive zone before the puck crosses the blue line to peel back and touch the blue line to become onside. Less time spent in the neutral zone regrouping to avoid offside.

Current offside rule: Players cannot pass the puck across two lines on the ice. Players cannot pass to a player in the offensive zone from outside the offensive zone.

Infraction of the offside rule leads to a face-off inside the defensive zone of the team at fault.

The tag-up rule has been blamed for what some see as the diminished skill level among defencemen who need not worry about puck handling in the neutral zone -- they can simply dump the puck and wait as their forwards ''tag-up'' and play continues. However, in recent years, with the neutral zone trap defensive system much more rampant, this rule is suggested to increase offense and help eliminate the trap.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

If you're across the line, you can just skate back across the blue line and back in and attack on the forecheck, instead of giving the other team a free out to the blueline.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I've seen NBA lottery simulators before where you press a button and it randomly spits out a draft order...

I'm coming out with my randomly generated NHL mock draft in a few days.

The fans should love it.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

This year one of the sports pages (ESPN or CNNSI, I forget which) had an interactive mock draft page that would re-run the lottery, and then re-do the mock draft based on the results of the mock lottery.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
This year one of the sports pages (ESPN or CNNSI, I forget which) had an interactive mock draft page that would re-run the lottery, and then re-do the mock draft based on the results of the mock lottery.

Now that makes sense. This "I think Vancover's one ping pong ball will prevail" is poppycock.

I can see saying X team as X chance of getting #1, but to actually predict it in a "mock lottery" format is teh suck.

Sorry for the rant. Hockey may resume now.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #13
jbmagic
Pro Starter

the shootout is in place now.

i love that new rule.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
the shootout is in place now.

Does this mean no overtime, or shootout after the first overtime?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

Shoout out follows the 5 minute 4 on 4 OT.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #16
bob
College Starter

Wonder if all these rule changes will be in the new console games this year. I'm not holding my breath....

No way the CBA changes are there.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #17
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

- No tie games; using a penalty shootout after overtime; After a five minute overtime, three players will be selected from each team for the shootout. If still tied, it will then be a sudden death shootout;.

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-22-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #18
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
- A team that ices the puck cannot make a line change prior to the ensuing face-off;
I don't like this rule. You're going to see some really tired players on the ice, which could lead to an increased amount of injuries.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #19
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Wonder if all these rule changes will be in the new console games this year. I'm not holding my breath....

No way the CBA changes are there.
I was wondering this too.

More importantly, will the new rosters be in there?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

Allowing the two-line pass (no red line) like international hockey;

I like this

- Reduction in size of goalie equipment;

Thumbs down!

- Using the AHL crease and limits on goaltender puck handling;

Wait and see how this works out

- No tie games; using a penalty shootout after overtime; After a five minute overtime, three players will be selected from each team for the shootout. If still tied, it will then be a sudden death shootout;

BOO!!! 5 minutes is too short if they have to have a winner. Why not extend it to 10 or a full 20 minutes of 4 on 4 before shootout? 5 minutes just isn't enough (I've never thought it was enough, especially now if they have to have a winner

- No-touch icing;

Bout time. Never made sense to me to not have this rule

- Bringing back tag-up offside;

Wait and see about this one

- Move nets back two feet towards end boards;

mmmm

- Reducing the size of the neutral zone;

Another wait and see but my initial reaction is negative

Good rule for real life, but that would suck for my ESPN NHL strat.

- Officials will have the discretion to wave off icing if it is deemed to be the result of an attempted pass;

I hope this makes it into the console games!

- A player that instigates a fight in the final five minutes of a game will receive a game misconduct and automatic one-game suspension;

Can't really argue with that I guess. I don't know exactly what problem they are trying to solve though. Not sure there were that many fights at the end of games that were instigated. Perhaps trying to stop end of game brawls? That would actually kind of suck since when they happened, since they are rare, they were fun!

- Zero tolerance on interference, hooking and holding/obstruction

*hit the Mad Money button that plays "HAAAAA-LLELUIAH!" But how many times have we heard that one before?

- Delay of game penalties for any players shooting the puck over the glass in his defensive zone.

Thumbs up

Overall: If they are trying to increase scoring, they did it right. Instead of increasing the net (and hopefully they don't decrease the goulie pad size too much), they changed some things that simply help offenses that have talent and hurt defense without talent. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer situation (instead it's a good situation). In other words, garbage defenses won't be able to do things like shoot the puck into the crowd or intentially ice when they are tired in order to get out of trouble. The rules don't hurt the good defensive players and they don't help the bad offensive players. That's really what I wanted. I would really have hated it if all they did was change the rules in a way they globally inflated scores (although the reduction in goalie pad size comes close to doing that).

I just hope the shootout goals don't get added to the final score or count for regular goal stats.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
I don't like this rule. You're going to see some really tired players on the ice, which could lead to an increased amount of injuries.

I like it since it will stop players from intentially icing the puck because they are tired. Get the puck down the ice the right way. Besides, icing doesn't happen that much anyway.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #22
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I've never seen a mock lottery.

A mock draft yes. A prediction of what order the ping pong balls come out...never.

Show me the people reading lots of mock lotteries.

Hold on...I'm doing a mock lottery for tonites pick 4.....3 7 2 5 will be the numbers.

espn does it every year on their website....i remember another site doing it, cant remember which one though
TML
Old 07-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good Lord, what a load of crap. Why don't they just get rid of goalies altogether, it looks like they've decided to go after the Arena Football crowd with some of this stuff.

If I want to see 13-11 games, I'll either watch low minors hockey (a lot cheaper) or the All-Star game (cause once a year is about all of that I can stand).
Old 07-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #24
korme
Go Reds

No more ties. That is certainly a drastic NHL change.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #25
jbmagic
Pro Starter

NHL SCHEDULE FEATURES
RIVALRY-BASED FORMAT

NEW YORK (July 22, 2005) - The National Hockey League is returning with an exciting new regular-season schedule format that emphasizes division rivalries.

Format

* Each club will play eight games against each of its four division rivals (32 total).

* Each club will play four games against each of the 10 non-division clubs in its conference (40 total).

* Each club will play 10 inter-conference games, hosting one game each against all five clubs from a designated division and traveling for one game each against all five clubs from a different division. For the 2005-06 season, Northeast Division clubs will host the Pacific Division and visit the Northwest; Atlantic Division clubs will host the Northwest and visit the Central; and Southeast Division clubs will host the Central and visit the Pacific. Division vs. division assignments will rotate annually.

Features

* The new schedule strengthens division rivalries; division rivals played each other six times under the previous schedule.

* The new schedule maintains integrity of the conference-based playoff format; each club continues to play 40 games against non-division, intra-conference opponents.

* The new schedule allows for continued exposure of teams and star players from the other conference.

* The new schedule allows for more compelling television matchups, thanks to the combination of stronger division rivalries with continued intra- and inter-conference play.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #26
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

About the teams not being able to make a line change prior to face-off after icing the puck, icing the puck leads to a face-off anyway unless... OH GOD.

Are they seriously going to implement this against shorthanded teams? It's not penalty enough that the team is a man down, but now they have to try to get the puck and skate past center ice before dumping the puck to the other end? Their four guys are supposed to get the puck past five guys all the way up to center ice? If this is the way the league is planning to handle power plays, they ought to at least let teams dress more players for each game so they can have extra players dedicated just to the PK unit. As it looks now, the PK guys are going to die out there.

I can hear it in the huddle now: "Don't take any bad penalties, kid, or our defensemen are going to drop dead!"
Old 07-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #27
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
About the teams not being able to make a line change prior to face-off after icing the puck, icing the puck leads to a face-off anyway unless... OH GOD.

Are they seriously going to implement this against shorthanded teams?

No, icing the puck while shorthanded is still allowed. There won't be any faceoff in that case, play continues. But if you ice it while you're at even strength, the guys who were on the ice when you iced it have to *stay* on the ice. No more icing to get a line change if you're tired.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #28
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
No, icing the puck while shorthanded is still allowed. There won't be any faceoff in that case, play continues. But if you ice it while you're at even strength, the guys who were on the ice when you iced it have to *stay* on the ice. No more icing to get a line change if you're tired.

I like that idea, it will lead to mistakes in the defensive zone and more goals...
TML
Old 07-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #29
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
- No-touch icing;

That's wrong, it'll still be touch icing. The change is, if the linesman rules it was an attempted pass that missed its target and went down the ice, it's not icing anymore.

That, plus the elimination of two-line passes, should mean more a lot more tries for the long pass leading to a breakaway.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Ah, I get it. This is OK to me. I just misunderstood the wording.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #31
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's wrong, it'll still be touch icing. The change is, if the linesman rules it was an attempted pass that missed its target and went down the ice, it's not icing anymore.

That, plus the elimination of two-line passes, should mean more a lot more tries for the long pass leading to a breakaway.

it was listed on

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-22-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #32
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I love the new rules...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Good Lord, what a load of crap. Why don't they just get rid of goalies altogether, it looks like they've decided to go after the Arena Football crowd with some of this stuff.

If I want to see 13-11 games, I'll either watch low minors hockey (a lot cheaper) or the All-Star game (cause once a year is about all of that I can stand).

I don't think any of the rules changes are that drastic. If they had changed the sizes of the nets I would be right there with you calling this Arena Football like. Shaving a few inches here and there off goalie equipment is fine. The stuff had gotten way out of control. Take a look at Garth Snow and Giguere and compare what they look like to what any goalie in the mid-to-late 80's looked like in goal. It's shocking.

The rest of the changes are really more cosmetic than anything. Tweaking here and there. I am fine with it. Moving the goaline back is only undoing what they did a few years back.

As for 10 or 20 minute OTs in the regular season, that way lies madness. Madness. That's a lot of extra hockey to be played over the course of an 82 game regular season that's far too long as it is. No one wants regular season games ending at 11:00 pm. Five minutes is fine as is the shoot-out. They've kept the play-off system as is and that's all that matters.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #34
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Wait, so are these official rule changes, or did I totally miss the boat? It sounded like Shanahan and Campbell explained why they shot down no-touch???

Also, they didn't mention the no line changes after icing (which I happen to love) -- where is the confirmation on this??

~rpi-fan
Old 07-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #35
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

I think you're going overboard here... the goalies can still play the puck very liberally, and their equipment is smaller. The big thing is, pretty much all of the changes are aimed at increasing the flow of the game, and the only one that has a direct effect on the shooting percentage is equipment, which was out of hand.

Tag-up, obstruction, etc. are all aimed at improving the play to increase CHANCES, not necessarily goals. That, in tandem with the now somewhat reasonable goaile equipment should lead to a better game.

~rpi-fan
Old 07-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #36
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
it was listed on NHL.com

NHL.com now says "'Touch' icing will remain the practice, although the Linesman will have discretion to wave off apparent icing infractions if they are deemed the result of an attempted pass. Providing the discretion to the Linesman also should have the effect of reducing the number of situations in which a race for the puck might result in an injury to a player."
Old 07-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #37
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
it was listed on NHL.com

from NHL.com

Quote:
"Touch" icing will remain the practice, although the Linesman will have discretion to wave off apparent icing infractions if they are deemed the result of an attempted pass. Providing the discretion to the Linesman also should have the effect of reducing the number of situations in which a race for the puck might result in an injury to a player

too bad. would have liked to see touch icing go away
Old 07-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #38
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

or, what JeffR said...
Old 07-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #39
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Wait, so are these official rule changes, or did I totally miss the boat? It sounded like Shanahan and Campbell explained why they shot down no-touch???

Also, they didn't mention the no line changes after icing (which I happen to love) -- where is the confirmation on this??

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html
Old 07-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #40
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think you're going overboard here... the goalies can still play the puck very liberally, and their equipment is smaller. The big thing is, pretty much all of the changes are aimed at increasing the flow of the game, and the only one that has a direct effect on the shooting percentage is equipment, which was out of hand.

Tag-up, obstruction, etc. are all aimed at improving the play to increase CHANCES, not necessarily goals. That, in tandem with the now somewhat reasonable goaile equipment should lead to a better game.

~rpi-fan

You have spoken many truths in this post. A good summary of the reasoning behind the rules changes.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #41
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

~rpi-fan

he's from middle Georgia. he doesn't even belong in this thread to begin with.

/yeah, I'm from Barstow. so what?
Old 07-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #42
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

~rpi-fan

there official the ones i post on the first post.

i guess there wrong with no touch icings.

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-22-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #43
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
too bad. would have liked to see touch icing go away

Problem with bringing in both no-touch icing & no red line, is that the amount of missed passes you'll get will dramaticlly increase whistles from icing.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #44
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I abso-freaking-lutely LOVE the no line changes after icing!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #45
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, what's the deal with the player buyouts that are about to begin. are they going to get their full salary? or a percentage? if they sign with a new team, do they lose any buyout cash?

I'm misconfused.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #46
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Problem with bringing in both no-touch icing & no red line, is that the amount of missed passes you'll get will dramaticlly increase whistles from icing.

good point, I guess.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #47
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
so, what's the deal with the player buyouts that are about to begin. are they going to get their full salary? or a percentage? if they sign with a new team, do they lose any buyout cash?

I'm misconfused.

Thought that the players get 2/3's, and that for players with multi-year contracts, the years after 05-06 count against the cap.

Didn't hear about any restrictions on signing with new teams.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #48
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

ok thanks

looks like TSN.ca is wrong.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #49
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I'm misconfused.

The buyout costs 2/3s of the player's salary.

For example, a player's current contract (after the 24% roll back) gives him $3 million over the course of the next three years. So, $9 million it total.

A team can buy the player's contract out for 2/3 of that $9 million, or $6 million. The player gets the $6 million up front and that player's salary is off the team's books for good. It will not count against the cap.

A player who is bought out is now free to sign with any other team, for any amount (so long as it's under the proscribed 20% rule), other than the team who bought him out. For example, if Colorado bought out Blake's contract, he couldn't re-sign with Colorado. In fact, he can't play for Colorado at any time during the 05-06 season at all: not through trade, waivers, anything.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #50
jbmagic
Pro Starter

are shootouts going to be there for the playoffs too?