Hall Of Famer

Car Bomb Found and Defused in Times Square

BBC News - Suspected car bomb found on New York's Times Square

Wow. Looks like this was a pretty big attempt to blow up new york

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nice. Right before I go down there in a couple weeks.

Quote:
Jerry Brown, one of the tourists evacuated from the nearby Marriott Marquis hotel,

Not that we're ya know...staying there or anything.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-02-2010 at 09:39 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Nice. Right before I go down there in a couple weeks.

One of the greatest things about NYC though - everything was back to normal 30 seconds after they cleared the area.

Looks like a real hack job. I think they'll find who's responsible. Surveillance cameras cover just about every square inch of the island. And he probably assumed the car would blow up, so there will be some good info there. I'd be he's domestic. And a loser. Serious terrorists stay with the bomb, they don't run away.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

My co-worker took his wife to NY this weekend. He said he was staying at a Marriott in Times Square so... I'd assume it was this one.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
One of the greatest things about NYC though - everything was back to normal 30 seconds after they cleared the area.

Looks like a real hack job. I think they'll find who's responsible. Surveillance cameras cover just about every square inch of the island. And he probably assumed the car would blow up, so there will be some good info there. I'd be he's domestic. And a loser. Serious terrorists stay with the bomb, they don't run away.

Yeah, I was very surprised when Bloomberg went into the "hate us for our freedoms" stuff. From the outside this doesn't look like an organized terror group. Maybe they found something in the vehicle they aren't releasing, but it does look like a lone wolf type right now.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

yea this sounds like some lone nut who isnt trained at anything. almost certain its a home grown nut who learned how to make the bomb on the internet
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

*Disclaimer* Posting this article does not necessarily reflect whether I personally find the claim to be credible.

My Way News - Pakistani Taliban claims NYC car bomb attempt

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - The Pakistani Taliban has claimed responsibility for the failed car bomb attack in Times Square in New York City.

In 1 minute video allegedly released by the Pakistani Taliban, the group says the attack is revenge for the death of its leader Baitullah Mehsud and the recent killings of the top leaders of al-Qaida in Iraq. Images of the slain militants are shown as an unidentified voice recites the message. English subtitles are at the bottom of the screen.

The video was uncovered Sunday by the U.S.-based SITE intelligence Group, which monitors militant websites.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
the attack is revenge for the death of its leader Baitullah Mehsud and the recent killings of the top leaders of al-Qaida in Iraq

fail
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
fail

Let's be clear, blame the wire service for that line, not me
Old 05-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Let's be clear, blame the wire service for that line, not me

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
RedKingGold
College Starter

This Mets-Phillies rivalry has gone WAY to far.

I'm sure Lathum will be in here shortly blaming this on those ass-hole Philadelphia sports fans.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 05-02-2010 at 01:59 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Man you really have a hard-on for him, huh?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Panerd hears the drums begin beating for a third front in the middle East war...
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

When i left work on 48th & 6th @ 12:30a everything was fairly normal other than the police had the street blocked off.

Thank God this piss-poor attempt didn't go off. I don't see why anybody would claim credit for it though...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
This Mets-Phillies rivalry has gone WAY to far.

I'm sure Lathum will be in here shortly blaming this on those ass-hole Philadelphia sports fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
In all fairness, this was one of his best efforts.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Reports are that the video shows a white male in his 40's. So probably domestic although it could be any number of reasons.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

Now there is a report that the fertilizer used wasn't even the kind that can explode. If that's true, I'm calling this a lone wolf who is really dumb.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Reports are that the video shows a white male in his 40's. So probably domestic although it could be any number of reasons.

This doesn't surprise me at all. My first thought after hearing about this was to morbidly think what kind of heck the immigration thread would turn into if this was some Middle East terrorist guy who came in over the border.

But then I thought about all the logistics, the SUV, the explosive stuff, etc., I just felt it had to be an "inside" job. Which, to me, meant some kind of anti-government white supremacist group or some crap like that.

And now that I think of it, wasn't the Oklahoma City bombing done via truck bomb?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yep.

speaking of which - i just watched the msnbc produced "The McVeigh Tapes" the other day. That was some intense shit...recommend it to anyone. It uses the audiotapes (45hrs worth) that he did with the guy who wrote the authorized biography of him.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-03-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Times Square Vendors Who Alerted Police Called Heroes - NYTimes.com
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fantastic...............

Quote:
“It could have been a lot worse,” Mr. Jackson told a bank of television cameras and then turned to say to a customer, “That’s $8 on the watches.”
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #22
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. My first thought after hearing about this was to morbidly think what kind of heck the immigration thread would turn into if this was some Middle East terrorist guy who came in over the border.

But then I thought about all the logistics, the SUV, the explosive stuff, etc., I just felt it had to be an "inside" job. Which, to me, meant some kind of anti-government white supremacist group or some crap like that.

And now that I think of it, wasn't the Oklahoma City bombing done via truck bomb?

I am not an FBI agent, I just play one of the internet, but here would be my thoughts on both Islamic terrorism and white supremacists. It seems like an Islamic terrorist would have probably stuck with the car and blown themselves up with it. (Obviously this is not always the case but it seems to be quite often) The anti-government/Tim McVeigh anger was largely directed at the government and the target would have been something federal. (Don't think this is the case in that part of Times Square) Seems more likely a group like that would go after a federal building or at least hit an area with a high concentration of their "enemies". (high black area, synagogue, immigration rally) From my experience seems like Times Square is usually mostly white. Don't get me wrong I defend neither group but it seems like neither of these would make any sense at all. Probably some lone nut job with some screwed up agenda about New York City or mass media or something than any organized/semi-organized terror group.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #23
Dutch
"Dutch"

I would agree.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #24
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I am not an FBI agent, I just play one of the internet, but here would be my thoughts on both Islamic terrorism and white supremacists. It seems like an Islamic terrorist would have probably stuck with the car and blown themselves up with it. (Obviously this is not always the case but it seems to be quite often) The anti-government/Tim McVeigh anger was largely directed at the government and the target would have been something federal. (Don't think this is the case in that part of Times Square) Seems more likely a group like that would go after a federal building or at least hit an area with a high concentration of their "enemies". (high black area, synagogue, immigration rally) From my experience seems like Times Square is usually mostly white. Don't get me wrong I defend neither group but it seems like neither of these would make any sense at all. Probably some lone nut job with some screwed up agenda about New York City or mass media or something than any organized/semi-organized terror group.

Eric Robert Rudolph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
molson
General Manager

Maybe this guy will post an revolutionary online manifesto that everyone can admire.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #26
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Have you ever had a soft-on? That's no fun.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #27
DanGarion
Coordinator

Probably some right wing extremist bigot idiot.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #28
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Probably some right wing extremist bigot idiot.

But failing that, some left wing extremist bigot idiot.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #29
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
But failing that, some left wing extremist bigot idiot.

Thank god there are no moderate middle of the road extremists, or I might be considered a suspect...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #30
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Thank god there are no moderate middle of the road extremists, or I might be considered a suspect...

Yeah, how exactly does that one go? "I'm going to blow up this bomb if everyone doesn't just play nice."
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

Fox News reporting that they are searching for a guy who bought the car off Craigslist and spent time in Pakistan for a few months. I don't see anyone else reporting that though right now, so it could just be Fox News slobbering at the mouth to somehow connect this to the Middle East.

I think it's tough to speculate on who or what this was about. I don't think it was sophisticated at all and I'd be surprised if any major terrorist movement was involved. Seems more like one guy who was really pissed about something and decided he was going to cause some damage.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #32
Khorium
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
BBC News - Suspected car bomb found on New York's Times Square

Wow. Looks like this was a pretty big attempt to blow up new york

9/11 was a pretty big attempt to blow up New York. From what I've read so far, this "bomb" might not have been able to do much more damage than if the "terrorist" had simply detonated the vehicle's gas tank.
Khorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Fox News reporting that they are searching for a guy who bought the car off Craigslist and spent time in Pakistan for a few months. I don't see anyone else reporting that though right now, so it could just be Fox News slobbering at the mouth to somehow connect this to the Middle East.

Or maybe they just had better sources willing to talk to them sooner.

NEW YORK (AP) - The search to find out who planted a car bomb that fizzled out in crowded Times Square took an international turn Monday as investigators said they were seeking a potential suspect who had recently traveled to Pakistan and had used cash to buy the SUV from a Connecticut man.

Two law enforcement officials say that authorities have identified the buyer of the SUV used in the botched bombing. One of the officials tells The Associated Press that the potential suspect is a man of Pakistani descent who recently traveled to Pakistan.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the case is at a sensitive stage.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-03-2010 at 09:47 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #34
lungs
Pro Rookie

Whoever came up with this plan was an absolute dope.

No terrorist organization worth worrying about would come up with a bomb design like this.

The poor design of the bomb told me right away that it wasn't some right wing kook, because they would build the damn thing right. Had to be left-wing or foreign.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

No terrorist organization worth worrying about would come up with a bomb design like this.

The poor design of the bomb told me right away that it wasn't some right wing kook, because they would build the damn thing right. Had to be left-wing or foreign.

*shaking my head*
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #36
Celeval
Pro Starter

CNN is reporting an arrest.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sources: Arrest made in Times Square car bomb plot - CNN.com
New York (CNN) -- A U.S. citizen has been arrested in Times Square bombing probe, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced early Tuesday.

Faisal Shahzad was arrested at JFK airport in New York as he prepared to board a flight to Dubain, Holder said.

The officials said the suspect said is the person who bought a Nissan Pathfinder used in the bombing attempt. Earlier, a law enforcement official said the buyer is a naturalized U.S. citizen from Pakistan, and that investigators are looking at more than one person in connection with the unsuccessful bombing.

The report came as CNN learned that the Joint Terrorism Task Force investigating the bombing attempt is considering the possibility that the attempt involved more than just a "lone wolf." The identity of the person under scrutiny was not known, however.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
*shaking my head*

What exactly were you shaking your head about? Turns out that Lungs was spot-on in his assessment. I don't think it's ground-breaking to note that a right-wing idiot usually knows how to make a really good explosive device.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #40
lungs
Pro Rookie

I mean, come on, they didn't even process the fertilizer to make it explosive. That's Timothy McVeigh-Terry Nichols 101 right there.

Now that we know he is Pakistani I'm guessing we'll soon find out he was nothing more than an al-Qaeda wannabe. Dangerous thoughts, but too dumb to execute it properly.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I mean, come on, they didn't even process the fertilizer to make it explosive. That's Timothy McVeigh-Terry Nichols 101 right there.

Now that we know he is Pakistani I'm guessing we'll soon find out he was nothing more than an al-Qaeda wannabe. Dangerous thoughts, but too dumb to execute it properly.

Well, he was over in Pakistan for 5 months, so he was obviously busy doing something. I'm guessing he skipped class on the fertilizer training day. Poor decision by him.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #42
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Well, he was over in Pakistan for 5 months, so he was obviously busy doing something. I'm guessing he skipped class on the fertilizer training day. Poor decision by him.

I think I read somewhere in one of the arrest articles where an official said 'Think small-scale' in terms on the group he was working with.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What exactly were you shaking your head about? Turns out that Lungs was spot-on in his assessment. I don't think it's ground-breaking to note that a right-wing idiot usually knows how to make a really good explosive device.

I think it's folly to think that a left-wing kook wouldn't know how to make a good explosive.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #44
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Partisan arguing about who makes a better bomb. Really?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I found lungs' initial comment to be partisan as well, and another example of a backhanded way of putting down those on the left, by implying they were not intelligent enough to build a competent explosive device.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #46
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I found lungs' initial comment to be partisan as well, and another example of a backhanded way of putting down those on the left, by implying they were not intelligent enough to build a competent explosive device.

I found his initial comment to be moronic but wouldn't think to try and argue that "my side" can make just a good a bomb. There are some things that one side should be glad they don't have.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #47
Khorium
n00b

Retard taliban wannabe from Pakistan. End of story. Can we stop the political debate and maybe focus the discussion on how an obvious moron who can't Google "fertilizer bomb" still managed to take a trip to terrorist camp, return to this country, park a (defective) car bomb in Times Square, then nearly make a clean getaway?

What if he'd been an intelligent terrorist?
Khorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think I read somewhere in one of the arrest articles where an official said 'Think small-scale' in terms on the group he was working with.

Well, I'm not sure we'd care how small scale he was if we were counting bodies this week.

Quote:

Doesn't lungs usually lean to the left? Have I been missing something?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #49
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Well, you're pretty good at making molotov-cocktails, so I see your frustrations.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #50
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Doesn't lungs usually lean to the left? Have I been missing something?

Lungs isn't extreme enough. He swayed from the lockstep and has now been banished from the left forever. The University of Berkeley has ordered the word "racist" be branded to lungs forehead immediately upon apprehension.