Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Purchasing an iPhone

My cell phone contract is up and I'm looking at getting an iPhone. Any ideals where to get the best deal? Should I just go to a At&t store or will I find better deals somewhere else?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Make sure you jail break it.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
miked
College Starter

Maybe you should wait a few months until the 4G is out.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Klinglerware
College Starter

If you are looking iPhone, perhaps you should wait for the next iteration--the hardware specs of the next version will (allegedly) approach the standards set by the newish smartphones today. Generally, the competition at the high-end beats Apple today when it comes to hardware, especially on things like screen resolution, camera quality, etc). The next version should close that gap.

Also, AT&T exclusivity is supposed to be ending soon, so you might want to wait and see if ends up on other carriers more to your liking.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I agree on waiting on the next one. Current tech is, what, 3 or 4 years old? Getting quite long in the tooth. I figure they are due for their 1st true upgrade. I think it needs a resolution bump more than anything.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I did hear that they are coming out with the G4 in July - but you think they will be expensive since it will be a "new tech"?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I did hear that they are coming out with the G4 in July - but you think they will be expensive since it will be a "new tech"?

Probably, but on par with current gen prices-ish (in the same range, anyway, depending on capacity, etc). One thing you'll find with Apple products is that unless you get a refurb (which I would recommend doing only from Apple stores), you're never going to get a "good deal," especially with the iPhone. The only time that even stores like Best Buy reduce prices are when current models are on the way out (and I haven't seen them do that with iPhone, only iPod models).

I'd ditto the others comments and wait.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Make sure you jail break it.

Out of interest what 'jail break' features are so vital that you think its essential to do that?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I am never up to date on the latest tech stuff, so I bought the 3G about 8 months ago for 99 bucks. Great phone. I also jailbroke it and wonder to myself all the time, Why? I changed the theme a bit and added some sounds, but it took me hours to figure out how to do it.

I am also curious to see why people think it is so essential to jailbreak it.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I would for pdanet. Maybe other things, but definitely for that.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Of course the fact I would even have to jailbreak it for that is the main reason I prefer android.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I am never up to date on the latest tech stuff, so I bought the 3G about 8 months ago for 99 bucks. Great phone.

+1

I got mine several months ago for $99. It does everything I need. I won't be updating unless I have to do so.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
bhlloy
Coordinator

I had to jailbreak my phone to get all my non-Itunes purchased music back off my PC when my old desktop computer took a dump. Other than that, I've never used any of the jailbreak features. People at work use it extensively to get free apps, hack some of the OS limitations and generally do some cool stuff, but I'm not 100% comfortable with using my phone for that.

FWIW, I would strongly look into AT&T coverage in your area before you make a switch from another carrier (if that's what you are doing). I don't make that many voice calls but I'm already sick of their coverage (dropped calls and coverage blackspots in some of the most frustrating places). I really wish I had stuck with Verizon and waited another couple of months for the Android based phones to come out. As soon as this contract is up I'm dropping AT&T as fast as I possibly can.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Out of interest what 'jail break' features are so vital that you think its essential to do that?

Mostly winter board and a few other neat apps that are not available through the app store.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
One of the best apps only available via Jailbreak, esp. if your mobile phone is your main phone, is iBlacklist. It will allow you to define certain numbers (such as telemarketers, etc.) and have them not even ring when calling your phone. It can also deal with SMS from annoying folks as well.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Can you do that straight through ATT?

That's what I do with Verizon, I can blacklist numbers directly from their website.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Even if you're totally fine with the 3Gs, wait for the 4G to come out. The price on the 3Gs will likely drop significantly, similar to how the 3G price dropped when the 3Gs came out. And to echo others, it'd be worth your while to wait and see if the rumors are true that the iPhone will soon be available on Verizon in addition to AT&T.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Looks like I can get a 8GB (which will be plenty for me) iPhone for $99 with contract. Work wants me to get a phone where I can e-mail on the road so I'm just going with the 3G iPhone. I don't think they want me to wait until July to get one...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Looks like I can get a 8GB (which will be plenty for me) iPhone for $99 with contract. Work wants me to get a phone where I can e-mail on the road so I'm just going with the 3G iPhone. I don't think they want me to wait until July to get one...

You'll like it. I'm not a huge Apple fan, but having this 8GB iPhone has definitely been a very good experience for me.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #20
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I had an iTouch that just recently broke so I'll be somewhat familiar with it...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #21
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Droid is $19.99 at Amazon.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Seriously, people, if somebody says they want an iPhone, why do so many of you feel a need to tell them about Android phones available? Android is obviously doing well enough, which is actually a shame because it has some BIG issues, the biggest being that there are so damn many versions out there, some of which Google seems to have given up on, that the platform is completely bifurcated, making it difficult to a) code apps and b) know if an app will be able to be used on a device. Also, every one I've used has major touchscreen issues, which for most of those devices is a big problem, considering its intended to be the interface.

If you really want to do the Android vs. Apple thing, make a new thread.

Edit: yes, this is bitchy. I'm sorry. But I really get annoyed when I open a thread like this and see a ton of people weigh in trying to convince them of not doing what they're asking about. It'd be one thing if they asked for recommendations about other options, but CBF seems to want an iPhone...

And while I would love to get an Android phone, for a multitude of reasons, I don't like it right now (having played with a Nexus One, an HTC of some sort, a Samsung phone with Android OS and a Droid), but I would more happily talk about all that in an Android vs. iPhone (vs WebOS vs Blackberry?) thread.
/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 05-10-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: apologizing for being a bitch
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Wow. That was at me? I think you mistake my intentions.

He needs a phone he can send email. For some people, saving $80 is significant. Shurg.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-10-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #24
dolfin
High School JV

Answering the original question, you're not likely to get any better deals. I'm sure Apple controls the price, cheapest I've seen is Radio Shack for $95. You'll definitely be happy once start actually using the phone.
dolfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #25
Klinglerware
College Starter

There are a ton of people on this thread telling him to get an Android phone instead? Except for one comment about the Droid, it seems to me that most of the people who are telling him not to get one now are telling him to wait for the next version of the iPhone... where he could either buy the latest and greatest, or buy the old version cheaply.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 05-10-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #26
Pyser
Pro Rookie

if the 3g is 99 now, the 3gs will be 99 in 2 months. id wait.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #27
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
if the 3g is 99 now, the 3gs will be 99 in 2 months. id wait.

Like I said- I would wait but work wants me to have a phone w/ e-mail on the road now... so I'm going with something on somewhat familiar with having an iTouch for a while.

Plus they're paying for it all so I can't complain to much

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #28
Pyser
Pro Rookie

gotcha. if they are paying, get a 3gs!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
There are a ton of people on this thread telling him to get an Android phone instead? Except for one comment about the Droid, it seems to me that most of the people who are telling him not to get one now are telling him to wait for the next version of the iPhone... where he could either buy the latest and greatest, or buy the old version cheaply.

She's just upset that Android is now the #2 OS in the US smartphone market, edging out the iPhone OS (RIM is, by far, #1)
Old 05-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #30
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

So I'm in the iPhone club now. Stayed up way to late messing with it last night - good times (had to do something to keep my eyes off the Cavs game last night!)

What case do you guys suggest I get? I'm not a "hip carrying" guy (not that there is something wrong with that - just not me) so I would like something tight around the phone.

Thanks for any suggestions...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So I'm in the iPhone club now. Stayed up way to late messing with it last night - good times (had to do something to keep my eyes off the Cavs game last night!)

What case do you guys suggest I get? I'm not a "hip carrying" guy (not that there is something wrong with that - just not me) so I would like something tight around the phone.

Thanks for any suggestions...

If you can find them, the Otter Box covers are great.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #32
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

You know, it occurs to me that we don't have a "Neat Android apps" thread. I think there's a reason for that.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #33
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Right. As has been stated there really hasn't been anyone saying he should get an android. So lighten up and get your head out of your ass.

I said why I had one...after recommending he wait for a next gen iphone. I didn't say get a droid. For me though, the app I need far and away more than others is banned from the apple store. Which is an answer to a question someone asked.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #34
dolfin
High School JV

I think the "lighten up" comment should be reflected upon one's self.
dolfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #35
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe so. But I'm in a little bitch mood .

Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #36
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Right. As has been stated there really hasn't been anyone saying he should get an android. So lighten up and get your head out of your ass.

I said why I had one...after recommending he wait for a next gen iphone. I didn't say get a droid. For me though, the app I need far and away more than others is banned from the apple store. Which is an answer to a question someone asked.

um.. yeah. Sorry if I offended you -- it was a random thought unrelated to your discussion (in fact, related to a private email conversation between Wade and a couple of friends of ours -- and bringing it up there would mean nothing to anyone involved but Wade and I, so I brought it up here)

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #37
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
If you can find them, the Otter Box covers are great.

Which one of these OtterBox covers have you had? link

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Which one of these OtterBox covers have you had? link

I have the impact case on my phone right now. Easily the most durable cover I've ever had on a phone. Note that it is a rubber surface. Some like the slick plastic feel, but I prefer this one.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #39
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ive been caseless for a year and the phone is fine
Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #40
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
ive been caseless for a year and the phone is fine
Never had a case for mine in the 2 years I've had it. I keep my phone in my pocket, so I prefer the slick feel of the phone. If I were to get a case, it would have to be very thin and still retain a slick, smooth feel as I slide it in and out of...wait, what are we talking about again?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote