Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The Official Windows Phone 7 (WP7) Thread

I picked up a Samsung Focus this week and I'm absolutely loving it! The interface is fantastic and I love the live tiles. Anyone else have a WP7 device yet?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

If you golf, check out Varmint Golf. It was developed by a buddy of mine (I was supposed to help but didn't really do any code).

I used it for about a week. Its a good device, but when the app store is this new and I just got an iphone 4, I won't be switching anytime soon.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ya, the app store is pretty weak thus far, but I am reasonably confident that it will grow substantially over the next year. As a Silverlight developer myself a small part of the allure of the platform is that if a void is too annoying I can always fill it myself

I'll check out Varmint Golf when I get a chance, although I'm not much of a golfer so it may not be up my alley.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I checked out Varmint Golf on the weekend, not for me as I don't golf but I will suggest it to any WP7 friends that do.

Still loving my new phone a few days later, I showed it off to my friends over the weekend and everyone seemed pretty impressed. I have to say I'm not regretting it over an iPhone yet at all, and considering it cost me all of $30 after various incentives I think I won't be changing my tune any time soon.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Blade
College Prospect

My co-worker and I both were given LG Optimus phones at work...I am liking it so far, though I do have an iPhone as my personal phone.

One game to check out is Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst. It is a tower defense game, but it uses Bing Maps and actually uses the terrain pretty well. So, you could set up a base at your house and the freaks would come at you using the road-ways in your neighbourhood.

My co-worker has wasted many a personal hour playing that game, I am told...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

As an update, one of the friends I showed my phone off to on the weekend has already picked one up.

I think for anyone that isn't really tied into the Apple eco-system or otherwise unable to set aside any MS prejudices WP7 will be a really compelling option. The interface really has leaped ahead of iOS in my opinion, although I can understand the draw to Apple's hardware, the iOS integration with iTunes, and the litany of app store options.

I struggle to see an average consumer choosing Android over WP7 if all other variables were relatively equal (hardware options, pricing, etc).
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Many artsy people think the metro interface is hideous. That alone will keep them with Apple.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

What are live tiles (first post)?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What are live tiles (first post)?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...een-live-tiles

Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

No opinion on WP7 yet, but my Windows Phone 6.5 experience was so bad that I switched to an iPhone and can't see giving WP another shot unless the iPhone starts to suck.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

WP7 is a total break from previous WinMo efforts, which were all horrible in pretty much every way.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Many artsy people think the metro interface is hideous. That alone will keep them with Apple.

I haven't heard that complaint but certainly it could be the case. I personally love it, although I do dislike many of the 'themes' that can be chosen, opting for the default blue. For example, the green that I often see in screenshots looks terrible to me, as does the red, and if those were my first introduction to the interface I could easily see developing an immediate distaste.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Great game came out for WP7 recently called "Zombies!!!". It's a board game that has been translated quite well into a single-player or local pass-and-play multiplayer video game. I'd never played the board game but friends had recommended it so I picked up the digital version and I'm having a blast.