Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The Big Short

I know we have a movie thread, but I think this one might be worthy of its own. I hate overhyping movies or telling people anything is a must see because having really high expectations can lead to a slight backlash, but I was really apprehensive from the marketing for the movie thinking there was too much going on, or it was too serious a tone, or how the heck could you make Mortgage Backed Securities, Credit Default Swaps and the Housing Crisis interesting? But it ended up being absolutely hilarious and should be nominated for a lot of Oscars as well. I went in figuring it'd be like Moneyball or The Blind Side - solid movies which weren't as good as the book - and somehow the guy who directed Anchorman and Step Brothers managed to pull off what Scorsese tried to with Wolf of Wall Street (which I still liked, but clearly wasn't an Oscar contender or something I feel I want/need to re-watch.)

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-26-2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: arbitrary grammar/spelling enforcement, no content altered
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #2
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm excited to see the movie, though I didn't particularly enjoy the book. Weird point of view, I know.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Really liked it and thought the performances were great. The method they used to explain some key concepts was hilarious and unique.

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-26-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: arbitrary grammar/spelling enforcement, no content altered
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I'm excited to see the movie, though I didn't particularly enjoy the book. Weird point of view, I know.
Trying to remember if I actually read that book or just an extended article he had in like The Atlantic Monthly or The New Yorker summarizing it. I've definitely read a few of his other ones (Blindside/Moneyball/Liar's Poker, which was even more acutely painful because I read it after the 2008 collapse and it was basically the same shit), and I agree that he can be a little overrated. He goes off on a lot of long tangents, which I love, but it doesn't always make for a cohesive narrative. Plus I think he's in that zone with like Malcolm Gladwell and Neil DeGrasse Tyson where they're really good at taking esoteric topics and in effect translating them for an average person, but when they actually talk about a subject you know really well they're off by like 10%, so you wonder just how much they're bullshitting on the other topics.

Like I said though, I was also really skeptical they could turn that book in to a movie, but it's not like Blindside and Moneyball were faithful adaptations of the books either. Again I don't want to spoil stuff, but the director pulls off some stuff that makes absolutely zero sense on paper and it completely fits in seamlessly. And from my limited experience he comes a lot closer to nailing how actual Wall Street people act as opposed to Wolf of Wall Street that was so ludicrously over the top it was hard to go along with the story or pretend it could even claim to be "based on a true story" at times.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Really liked it and thought the performances were great. The method they used to explain some key concepts was hilarious and unique.
Indeed. McKay should get a Best Director nom, and Steve Carell a Best Supporting Actor one. A lot of the other ones were great too, but just didn't have enough screen time to really qualify (and I'm a little Christian Bale'd out at this point - it's at Daniel Day-Lewis level where I'm not even impressed anymore, I just expect him to nail any role.)
Spoiler

Btw, I also read your sentence like 6 times and I'm still trying to figure out what Quiksand edited it from? Did you initially say the performances were dominate? Ugh, worst puzzle ever!

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-26-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Performance's maybe?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Btw, I also read your sentence like 6 times and I'm still trying to figure out what Quiksand edited it from? Did you initially say the performances were dominate? Ugh, worst puzzle ever!

No it was because I wrote "very unique" instead of just "unique". To which I'll respond to Quik that Billy Joel is the greatest musician of all time because his ballads are so very very very very VERY unique.

Suck it.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
No it was because I wrote "very unique" instead of just "unique". To which I'll respond to Quik that Billy Joel is the greatest musician of all time because his ballads are so very very very very VERY unique.

Suck it.
I might even go so far as to say that method was the most unique method I've seen!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Suck it.

that's bizarre
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #10
clemsonfan
High School JV

Loved the movie. It and Steve Carrell should get a nomination.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Saw it a couple hours ago, super good.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I saw it last night and loved it. Great movie.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Suck it.

Sorry about that, I'm really not sure what possessed me to make the edits. It was bad form, and I apologize.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Sorry about that, I'm really not sure what possessed me to make the edits. It was bad form, and I apologize.

Just messing around. No worries at all.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #15
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
and somehow the guy who directed Anchorman and Step Brothers managed to pull off what Scorsese tried to with Wolf of Wall Street (which I still liked, but clearly wasn't an Oscar contender or something I feel I want/need to re-watch.)

What? WOWS and the Big Short aren't even similar. Scorsese didn't try to make a Big Short like movie and fail. I don't see any connection whatsoever.

And for the record, I enjoyed the Big Short, i enjoyed it alot.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote