Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Plax shoots himself in leg - Antonio Pierce hides gun - Brandon Jacobs MVP?

BURRESS SHOOTS HIMSELF IN THE LEG, ACCIDENTALLY
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 11:05 a.m.

Multiple sources tell us that Giants receiver Plaxico Burress has shot himself in the leg.

Apparently, Burress was carrying a loaded gun. And the gun went off.

The incident happened on Friday night/Saturday morning. His condition currently isn’t known.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com also is reporting this one, and he’ll soon have a story up with additional details.

Though at this point the player’s health and well being is the primary concern, what the hell was he doing with a loaded gun?

It also remains to be seen whether he faces charges for carrying the loaded gun, and whether he ultimately encounters scrutiny from the league for violating the Personal Conduct Policy.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Is he ok? Yes? Then i can do this...

LOL!!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Plax is such a fucking idiot.

Dude is on a one way trip to Artestville.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola

Clayton says it isn't life threatening, but he was at a club Friday night with a gun, and the gun went off.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

He must have really wanted to get out of practice this time.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Has he taken over the title of official headcase of the NFL from Chad Johnson and TO?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Has he taken over the title of official headcase of the NFL from Chad Johnson and TO?

Well, Adam Jones may hold that title.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Personally, I don't see any problem with carrying a loaded gun as long as he is licensed. That being said, guns and drinking don't mix, so I hope he wasn't drinking. (yeah right!)
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

I guess this means I shouldn't play him in fantasy.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

lol, Out: Hamstring.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Well, Adam Jones may hold that title.

At least Pacman has other people carry his guns inside the club. Way smarter

I don't see a way out of this for Plax, even if he has a concealed permit and won't be charged. I don't think going to a club with a loaded gun is going to look too good to Goodell, and I'm sure there is something in the personal conduct policy that makes this a big no-no. 4 games at the least.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Dola

Clayton says it isn't life threatening, but he was at a club Friday night with a gun, and the gun went off.

Randon Hood Rat: Hi Plaxie Baby.....Is that a loaded gun in your pocket or you just happy to see me???

Plaxico: Why don't you touch it shorty....and see for yourself...

Hood Rat: Oooooh Baby......

BANG!!!!!!

Plaxico: Shit bitch.....Not the trigger!!!! DAMN!!!!

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-29-2008 at 11:48 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is beyond stupid and frustrating.

As soon as he gets signed to a long term deal he has been nothing but a headache. With the WR depth I am at the point where I would be OK with getting rid of him.

As far as actualy shooting himself, better then shooting someone else I guess. I'm not sure the league will be overly harsh as long as he had a license to carry etc... Hard to be suspended for something that is your constitutional right.

IMO he shouldn't be suspended at all by the league, now punishment from the Giants on the other hand...

This also pisses me off because the Giants have a great shot at repeating and this asshole may fuck it all up.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- My wife has a Plaxico jersey, I may need to get her someone elses for Christmas and in the mean time she can rock the Toomer jersey on sundays.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

As far as actualy shooting himself, better then shooting someone else I guess. I'm not sure the league will be overly harsh as long as he had a license to carry etc... Hard to be suspended for something that is your constitutional right.

Well Pacman has a constitutional right to get drunk and argue with his minders (within the confines of the law - he wasn't arrested), but he still got suspended for that. I think Goodell cares way more about the image of the league than whether a player is going to get charged with a felony.

Plus, I imagine the club he was in expressly forbids people to enter with firearms, and if there was alcohol involved, that clearly falls under the personal conduct policy. That's without even checking if there is something in the personal conduct policy about carrying around loaded firearms.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
This is beyond stupid and frustrating.

As soon as he gets signed to a long term deal he has been nothing but a headache. With the WR depth I am at the point where I would be OK with getting rid of him.

IMO he shouldn't be suspended at all by the league, now punishment from the Giants on the other hand...

This also pisses me off because the Giants have a great shot at repeating and this asshole may fuck it all up.

Not sure I agree about them not needing Plax.

Plax has struggled this year, but he basically won them that SB last year. He was a monster. Even this year, as long as he is on the field, you have to cover him tight, and it lets the other guys run free.

The Gmen might have depth at WR, but they have no #1 WR without Plax, and Eli isn't a good enough QB to make a guy look better then he is.

The Giants will face a lot more 8 and 9 man fronts with man on man coverage with Plax being able to play, daring Eli and guys like Hixon, Toomer and Smith to beat them.

Not sure that that combination can get it done.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
At least Pacman has other people carry his guns inside the club. Way smarter

I don't see a way out of this for Plax, even if he has a concealed permit and won't be charged. I don't think going to a club with a loaded gun is going to look too good to Goodell, and I'm sure there is something in the personal conduct policy that makes this a big no-no. 4 games at the least.

I guess one shouldn't go to a club that is so unsafe that you to bring a gun with you, but that's just me.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LMAO

and yeah, he's gotta be looking at a suspension. Even if he has a constitutional right to bear arms that doesn't mean his employer can't punitively punish him for it - and if he doesn't like it he can go work somewhere else. It just means he can't be arrested for it (if it was legally licensed and he wasn't in a place that forbids him having it), doesn't mean his employer can't say that it's not okay for their employees to have one.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Well Pacman has a constitutional right to get drunk and argue with his minders (within the confines of the law - he wasn't arrested), but he still got suspended for that. I think Goodell cares way more about the image of the league than whether a player is going to get charged with a felony.

Thats actualy not true, public intoxication is against the law, and that was about pacmans tenth strike, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison.
Quote:
Plus, I imagine the club he was in expressly forbids people to enter with firearms, and if there was alcohol involved, that clearly falls under the personal conduct policy. That's without even checking if there is something in the personal conduct policy about carrying around loaded firearms.
[/quote]

What the club forbids shouldn't matter. If the LAW forbids it that would be a different story. As far as alcohol you may be correct, but this wasn't an incident, it was an act of stupidity. If he gets drunk at home and does the same thing are we discussing league involvment? The guy does have a right to go out and lead a life. If the firearm was legal I see no issue.

I would be interested to hear what the NFL's conduct policy says about it.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
LMAO

and yeah, he's gotta be looking at a suspension. Even if he has a constitutional right to bear arms that doesn't mean his employer can't punitively punish him for it - and if he doesn't like it he can go work somewhere else. It just means he can't be arrested for it (if it was legally licensed and he wasn't in a place that forbids him having it), doesn't mean his employer can't say that it's not okay for their employees to have one.

but his employer is the Giants. And the employer absolutly has NO RIGHT to tell him he can't have one. They can tell him he can't have one on work property, but I'm pretty certain they can't deny him a constitutional right.

That being said they can punish him for conduct detrimental to the team, etc...
Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm betting Goodell will suspend him at least a game, the NFL doesn't really want their players carrying guns, no matter what their rights are. They don't have a RIGHT to play in the NFL, its a privilage and if you look like an utter dumb fuck a la plex then you probably ought to get your ass kicked for it.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Lathum - we're not even sure the firearm was legal - I'd be willing to wager that it wasn't, but I think we need to wait and see about that first of all.

that being said, i think he'll get gotten under the general personal conduct policy - the league doesn't want to promote an image of its players wandering around with loaded firearms to the public
Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Not sure I agree about them not needing Plax.

Plax has struggled this year, but he basically won them that SB last year. He was a monster. Even this year, as long as he is on the field, you have to cover him tight, and it lets the other guys run free.

The Gmen might have depth at WR, but they have no #1 WR without Plax, and Eli isn't a good enough QB to make a guy look better then he is.

The Giants will face a lot more 8 and 9 man fronts with man on man coverage with Plax being able to play, daring Eli and guys like Hixon, Toomer and Smith to beat them.

Not sure that that combination can get it done.

No one watches more Giants football then I do. Eli has developed to the point where he can live without Plax, they did put up 37 points without him last week and 44 without him in week 5.

Hixon has looked awesome in those games, Smith is developing and Manningham is still on the bench.

You will get no argument from me that Plax is valuable to the team, a clear number one and makes them better, but they can live without him.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-29-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I'm betting Goodell will suspend him at least a game, the NFL doesn't really want their players carrying guns, no matter what their rights are. They don't have a RIGHT to play in the NFL, its a privilage and if you look like an utter dumb fuck a la plex then you probably ought to get your ass kicked for it.

One or two games is fine. 4 I'm not so sure about. Larry Johnson is a woman abuser, where is his suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Lathum - we're not even sure the firearm was legal - I'd be willing to wager that it wasn't, but I think we need to wait and see about that first of all.

that being said, i think he'll get gotten under the general personal conduct policy - the league doesn't want to promote an image of its players wandering around with loaded firearms to the public

I think I have been pretty clear that all my statements are predicated on the fact the gun was legal. Either way he's a fucking idiot, if the gun wasn't legal he gets everything he deserves.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think I have been pretty clear that all my statements are predicated on the fact the gun was legal. Either way he's a fucking idiot, if the gun wasn't legal he gets everything he deserves.

fair enough, i must have only skimmed your statements where you made that clear - my bad
Old 11-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #26
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I'm betting Goodell will suspend him at least a game, the NFL doesn't really want their players carrying guns, no matter what their rights are.

Unless of course they are hunting for deer on the farm in Mississippi.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #27
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well Pacman has a constitutional right to get drunk

Not if you are on probation and it states you can not consume alcohol.
Nevada could have throw him in jail if they wanted to bother with it.

Yeah, Pacman's incident was minor, but part of deal letting him back in the first time was zero tolerance.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I figured this was going to be the sportscaster misuse of "literally". I was sadly mistaken (and amused).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #29
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
but his employer is the Giants. And the employer absolutly has NO RIGHT to tell him he can't have one. They can tell him he can't have one on work property, but I'm pretty certain they can't deny him a constitutional right.

That being said they can punish him for conduct detrimental to the team, etc...

Sure they can. The Constitution generally extends only to what the government can or cannot do. The Constitution guarantees due process, for example, but that doesn't affect the commissioner's ability to suspend or ban a player.

Guarantees free speech, but that doesn't prevent a team fining or otherwise punishing a player for popping off to the media about how he doesn't get the ball enough.

Defends against unreasonable search and seizure, but every player in the league is subject to drug testing to make sure they aren't violating the league's drug policy - and that extends beyond performance enhancers to recreational drugs such as marijuana.

The protections in the Constitution can sometimes be extended to private enterprise and its constituent workers, but the guarantee against government infringement upon those rights does not mean that those rights are absolute in all possible cases.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Sure they can. The Constitution generally extends only to what the government can or cannot do. The Constitution guarantees due process, for example, but that doesn't affect the commissioner's ability to suspend or ban a player.

Guarantees free speech, but that doesn't prevent a team fining or otherwise punishing a player for popping off to the media about how he doesn't get the ball enough.

Defends against unreasonable search and seizure, but every player in the league is subject to drug testing to make sure they aren't violating the league's drug policy - and that extends beyond performance enhancers to recreational drugs such as marijuana.

The protections in the Constitution can sometimes be extended to private enterprise and its constituent workers, but the guarantee against government infringement upon those rights does not mean that those rights are absolute in all possible cases.

what he said. i didn't have the attention span to type something like that all out.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

I am certainly no expert, but I am pretty sure the CBA includes the drug testing and fines for speaking out and all players agree to operate under the CBA.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
miked
College Starter

Larry Johnson allegedly spit on a chick and shoved her at a club and got 4 games from the Chiefs and 1 from the league. Plax is getting suspended, as I'm sure Roger-do-good wants to make sure the other players around the league understand they shouldn't be carrying concealed weapons while they are partying on the town nursing injuries. It doesn't really matter what the CBA says per se, as I'm sure the commissioner has some leeway.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #33
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I am certainly no expert, but I am pretty sure the CBA includes the drug testing and fines for speaking out and all players agree to operate under the CBA.

True enough. My point is that the private sector certainly can and does operate under a different set of rules than what the federal government is constrained by.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #34
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

It is times like this I am reminded that some people here thought (and likely a few still think) the Steelers made a mistake in keeping Ward and letting Burress go. Those people also thought Cowher should have been gone in 1997 and Troy Polamalu was a bust after his rookie season.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #35
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd imagine he also has a unsafe conduct clause in his contract that would almost certainly apply to shooting one's self.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #36
DeToxRox
Head Coach

BUZZ BUILDING THAT BURRESS WILL BE BUSTED
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 7:06 p.m.

We’ve been checking in with a wide variety of media sources regarding the accidental self-shooting of Giants receiver Plaxico Burress, and there’s a buzz building that Burress will be busted for illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

Such an outcome would mean that the authorities believe Burress didn’t have the appropriate paperwork in place to carry the weapon in New York City.

As we previously explained, a conviction on such charges will result in a mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years in jail, without exception. (Supposedly.)

Meanwhile, we skimmed all 288 pages of Plaxico’s book, Giant: The Road To The Super Bowl, and we found a few passages that shed light on whether Burress would be toting a handgun in a public place without a permit.

Burress grew up in Virginia Beach, where as he writes at page 20 ”it was all drugs and crime.” He says that “there were shootings and killings all the time,” and that gunfire “so random at night you just became immune to it.”

On the next page, Burress describes a shooting he witnessed when he was 12 or 13. “He stands up, pulls out his gun, and boom, boom, boom, he shoots out the back of the dude’s window. I was like, Damn.”

On page 22, Burress writes that the drug dealers “took care of [him]” because of his athletic abilities, and one of them “would give me a little weed to sell.” He writes of the drug dealers: “They were all cool about it. They all sold weed and crack. They all had pistols and guns, but I was the one, I was the oddball.”

At page 69, Burress says that he quit hanging out with his boyhood friends several years ago. “I had to stop doing stuff with them. They did stuff I’m not happy about. I’ve seen them pull guns and shoot at people.”

Perhaps the most intriguing relevation comes in Chapter 7, when Burress explains that the woman he married is a licensed lawyer. Because even though Burress might have been inclined based on his upbringing to think that it was normal to have a gun without giving any thought to whether it was legal to carry the thing around, the fact that his wife is a lawyer should have at some point resulted in him becoming aware that a guy just can’t leave the house with a loaded weapon in his pants without a permit.

Then again, if Burress doesn’t listen to his head coach, chances are he doesn’t listen to his wife, either.

As the investigation proceeds, one key figure could be teammate Antonio Pierce. Per Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, Pierce was partying with Burress when the incident occurred.

Pierce is currently in Washington with the rest of the team. When he comes back to New York, it’s likely that the police will want a word with him.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #37
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I know the Eagles looked good the other day but this is going a bit too far trying to get out of playing them next week...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #38
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
It is times like this I am reminded that some people here thought (and likely a few still think) the Steelers made a mistake in keeping Ward and letting Burress go. Those people also thought Cowher should have been gone in 1997 and Troy Polamalu was a bust after his rookie season.

Those people drink too much river water.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #39
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think i've got the new nickname for Plax ready..

Cheddar Burress
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #40
King of New York
High School Varsity

Plaxico Burress and Michael Vick: Hampton Roads, Virginia Reprezent!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

ESPN is now reporting that Antonio Pierce alledgedly hid the gun after Burress accidently shot himself with it and Pierce could face legal issues as a result as well as Burress. Also, the bullet wasn't just a grazing shot, but they are reporting it was a clean through-and-through the thigh.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-30-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #42
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Holy shit. Plexiglass Burress has a book?? I guess anyone can have a book now. I am sure that thing is a literary masterpiece.

"I was like, damn!"
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

I imagine the quality is similar to Darryl Strawberry's "Chocolate Strawberry" rap.

"My name is Darryl, I'm a baseball player
One thing I forgot to say-a
When I'm on the field I'm on top of the world
I get screams from all the girls (Dar-ryl!)"
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #44
Jas_lov
College Starter

Plaxico Burress is finished as a New York Giant. He will face jail time for the unlicensed gun. He will face suspension from the Commissioner's office. It's over for Plaxico. I can't believe someone on this forum called him the 3rd best WR in the NFL earlier this season. What a complete joke.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #45
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Plaxico Burress is finished as a New York Giant. He will face jail time for the unlicensed gun. He will face suspension from the Commissioner's office. It's over for Plaxico. I can't believe someone on this forum called him the 3rd best WR in the NFL earlier this season. What a complete joke.

I'm not sure Burress is done as a Giant, they did play Kareem McKenzie while he was still getting over his hangover from driving drunk two weeks ago.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #46
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

tell me who is better based on pure on the field talent not named TO or Moss?

Did you even watch any of the playoffs last year or were you to busy pissing and moaning about Ryan Grant?

That being said he is a fucking moron and gets everything he deserves.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #47
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Boldin, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #48
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Boldin, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald

Yes, there are two in Arizona alone. What about Reggie Wayne or Andre Johnson? There are a number of wide receivers better than Plaxico, and they're sane too.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #49
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd take Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin over him. Both have many more yards and receptions this year. I'd also take Steve Smith over him. Heck, I'd take a lot of guys over him. He is 53rd in receiving yardage this year and 62nd in receptions.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #50
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yes, there are two in Arizona alone. What about Reggie Wayne or Andre Johnson? There are a number of wide receivers better than Plaxico, and they're sane too.

all hacks.

Have you ever read any of my giants related posts?

I realize I am a crazy homer and 90% of what I say I understand isn't true or believable and can make fun of myself about it.

Unlike some...