Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

ITB College Football Podcast

As most of ya'll know by now I write on a blog called In The Bleachers and produce an in-season weekly podcast. A few of you have been in some of the contests we have run and I thank you for joining in and hopefully next year you (and more) will join.

When the blog first started it was just a tool to get more people to listen to the podcast. It has done a pretty good job getting us more listeners. Our first year in 2005 we had around 100-300 listeners per week when we were over at Smart Guys Sports. The second year when we moved to http://inthebleachers.net our listener ship doubled, and in 2007 we topped out at around 2000 downloads for one week of the podcast. This fall will be our 4th season and we are the longest running general football podcast on the internet.

I am not sure if many of you read college football blogs, but the blog Every Day Should Be Saturday is probably the most popular college football blog out there getting 18,000 or more hits per day during the season. They run their own live podcast which is pretty popular. This year the College Football Bloggers and fans handed out awards in a lot of categories and best podcast was one of them. The In The Bleachers podcast finished as the 2nd best podcast on the internet behind EDSBS's podcast. Not bad at all in my opinion.

So I want to take this time to thank anyone who has listened to the podcast or read the blog. And thanks to Charlie (Swaggs), Chris (EasyMac), and Ron (VTbub). Three people who are also directly responsible for where the podcast and the blog is today.

#2 College Football Podcast on the Internet

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Lorena
Unregistered

That's pretty damn awesome guys, GRATS!!!

Last edited by Lorena : 03-03-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
vtbub
College Starter

Brian is being modest. He gets 1,000 readers a day on the site during the season. Just incredible work.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

Congratulations to you guys.

Although none to you, bsak, if Pryor ends up at Penn State.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Congratulations to you guys.

Although none to you, bsak, if Pryor ends up at Penn State.

Thanks! I still think he is going to Ohio State, but if Penn State would say that Tom Bradley will succeed Paterno, it might sway him. But if I were putting money down right now, it would be on the Buckeyes.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

That's sweet Brian. Glad to here ITB is doing so well.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone last ESPN Insider...check out this blog post by Bruce Feldman...

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...=feldman_bruce

If you don't here is a little snippet...

Quote:
I got an interesting comment from a reader, David in Arlington, Va., in response to the recent flood of college players getting trouble:

David wrote: "You answered a question in your mailbag related to player arrests and which coaches handle it the right way. This is the problem, it should not in any way be a coach's decision. The university in question should inform the athletic department which students are eligible to represent the university not the other way around. Forget coaches decision, eligibility to participate should not even be an athletic department decision."

I get where he's coming from, but exactly how realistic is that? I asked a few people with pretty diverse perspectives to weigh in:

Quote:
Brian Sakowski, mechanical engineer/blogger, In the Bleachers: Athletes are high-profile students on campus, and should be held to higher standards, but at the same time they can be the targets of university members who feel they have special treatment. Since coaches have the most knowledge of a player's character because of recruiting, practice and meeting; coaches should be given the first crack at punishment if there is trouble with a member of his team. If the player becomes a repeat offender or if it becomes known that the coach either hands out light punishments on purpose or cannot control his team, then the university should intercede, but otherwise it should be the coach's call.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
SnDvls
Pro Starter

hey I never knew about this. I'll be checking it out now.

Also on the post/question you answered to ESPN. This is what got Dirk Koetter in so much trouble with the media regarding Wade. They thought that it should have only been handled by the school.

I'm not saying one way is right or wrong just saying how the media will strike at you no matter what you do.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

My latest blog post got picked up by Fox Sports!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8...-on-their-arms

Too bad they spelled my name wrong!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I never thought blogging would get me this far but I got some good news today. ESPN has some affiliated blogs for teams where journalists write about that certain team. One is Bucknuts (www.bucknuts.com), well I got an email last week to sit in on a conference call with these guys today.

In the conference call they told me they want to start a Penn State site and wanted me to be their "featured" blogger. I'd be paid plus they put me in charge of naming the site.

I never thought 4 years ago when Swaggs, VTbub, EasyMac, and I started In The Bleachers it would lead me to getting paid for this stuff. Crazy!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That's awesome! Congrats!

Though I am not really sure what this "college football" you write about is. It must be popular with so many readers and all.

Sounds interesting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Good for you Brian!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Congrats!!!

Now, tell me what your secret was....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I never thought blogging would get me this far but I got some good news today. ESPN has some affiliated blogs for teams where journalists write about that certain team. One is Bucknuts (www.bucknuts.com), well I got an email last week to sit in on a conference call with these guys today.

In the conference call they told me they want to start a Penn State site and wanted me to be their "featured" blogger. I'd be paid plus they put me in charge of naming the site.

I never thought 4 years ago when Swaggs, VTbub, EasyMac, and I started In The Bleachers it would lead me to getting paid for this stuff. Crazy!
Oh man that is awesome Brian!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Brian that is the shit bud!!!! A huge congrats goes out to you and your "guys" for all the hard work and dedication you have all put into it! Hope it continues to get bigger and bigger for ya as I look forward to watching it grow even more now
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Congratulations!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

Kick ass, grats Brian!~!!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Awesome job Sak, congrats.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Badass!
That's awesome!!!