Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Yay for Me

As I hinted towards in my Face the Board thread, for the past few months I have been in the process of acquiring my own business to run. I have spent the better part of the year doing my research in hoping to find a opportunity that would be beneficial for me. Originally the time line I had set for myself was sometime around 2009.

Well, that opportunity came along a year earlier than expected.

A couple of weeks ago I finalized the contracts and paperwork and bought a 7-Eleven about fifteen minutes from my house on a reasonably busy intersection. I have to attend training at a corporate store for six weeks in the city of Chicago starting November 12th and then I will have my grand opening the first or second week of January 2008.

I am both excited and extremely nervous about my upcoming venture. The main thing I am nervous about is this being one of my first big responsibilities in life. As some of you may or may not know, I am still pretty green at 23 years old and I am just hoping my youthful energy will be able to compensate for my lack of experience for the time being. Luckily my family has a history of entrepreneurship in it (though none in my field) so they will indeed be a great source of help over the next few years.

If any of you out there already have experiences as entrepreneurs or businesses in general, I would love to hear any advice and tips you all may have. I already have a ton of issues I am concerned about and figure when time comes I will probably come back to the FOFC community for some possible suggestions.

Anyways, I am taking the next couple weeks off to just completely relax and do everything I can possibly do before I take over my new store and my life pretty much comes to a halt.

I see grown-up life right around the corner and I'll be damned if I don't milk this life of no real responsibilities for as long as I can!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 10-28-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

A 7-11? Way to fight that stereotype

Just kidding Sunny, good luck. What are the hours you are going to be working there? That wonderful 11-7 shift?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

OMG, Neuqua is APU.

Congrats, Neuq! If I lived in Chicago, I would definitely come check it out. Good luck!
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Just kidding Sunny, good luck. What are the hours you are going to be working there? That wonderful 11-7 shift?

Seriously? Another brown guy running one?

Congrats from a fellow dothead.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Hah, Kyle you were one of the first people who I knew would make a smart alec remark.

As per my business model, I have myself at the store for about 50-60 hours a week, pretty much every single day. And then when things settle down I will probably go ahead and give myself Sundays off or something.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's an amazing thing to be doing at 23. I wish you luck. How's the crime/safety in that area?

One of the key advices I can give you, from my experience in seeing young managers, is to be a good judge of character in those you hire. I knew a young manager that took over a Subway and quickly failed because he treated the place like a hangout and wanted to act cool for his friends. Customer service, ethics and responsibilities tanked and he was fired by regional after 2 weeks.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is this a brand new store? Or is it one you are taking over as an existing franchise?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

Good luck, don't be a stranger: Let us know how its working out!

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's an amazing thing to be doing at 23. I wish you luck. How's the crime/safety in that area?

Thanks for the kind words Buc.

The city of Warrenville where my store is located is not too bad, but the particular stretch where my store is located apparently has had its share of robberies in the last few years. This is a big concern to me because obviously 7-Eleven require all their stores to be run 24 hours a day. I have had meetings with the Sheriff of Warrenville personally however and he has assured me that he will be sending cars out to my neck of the woods as often as possible (especially since it's the only 24 hour operation in the area) and I told him that I would let any officer have coffee and donuts on the house.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Is this a brand new store? Or is it one you are taking over as an existing franchise?

7-Eleven purchased White Hen Pantry (do you have those in California? I'm not sure) last year and my store is an existing White Hen Pantry which is going to be converted while I am training and will be a full brand new 7-Eleven by the time I am ready to take over.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I told him that I would let any officer have coffee and donuts on the house.

You haven't even started yet, and you're already bribing the cops. Good job!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thank you! Come again!
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
7-Eleven purchased White Hen Pantry (do you have those in California? I'm not sure) last year and my store is an existing White Hen Pantry which is going to be converted while I am training and will be a full brand new 7-Eleven by the time I am ready to take over.

I did a little quick scan on 7-11 and saw that. 7-11 seems to be on a mission in Chicago so it looks like you will benefit from it greatly.

I'm guessing the acting is on hold for a bit?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
You haven't even started yet, and you're already bribing the cops. Good job!

Good luck!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow, congrats!! Here I am contemplating a house, and you're buying a business!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Heh, that was my exact first thought...

Best of luck, bud. Try not to burn yourself out too fast, and piggy-backing on Bucc's comment about hiring, watch out for those sticky-fingered employees.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

So is that going to happen all over Chicago? Weird.

Anyway -- congrats and good luck!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #18
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Sunny! Best of luck to you!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 AM   #19
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Pro Tip: Don't hire these guys:
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Good luck neuq!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

That is awesome Neuq!, good luck man!

Last edited by DanGarion : 10-29-2007 at 11:05 AM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
OMG, Neuqua is APU.

I hate to say it, but that was almost exactly my first thought.

But great news, Neuqua, congratulations! I can't imagine running ANY business, much less one that seems as ubiquitous as a 7-Eleven. Best of luck to you!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

What's the address Neq?

My folks live very close to there. I could swing by easily sometime and say hey.

When it opens, of course.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-29-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #24
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Thanks again everybody for all the kind words, if you want to know why already I am awake at nights nervous, here is an example of a newspaper article regarding the previous White Hen owner which was given to me 5 minutes before my final interview with 7-Eleven corporate.

hxxp://www.chicagosuburbannews.com/wayne/news/x1822772992
Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
jackyl
H.S. Freshman Team

I was surprised to see that the previous owner was younger than you are (only 21) when she bought that White Hen. Is that somewhat common in the C-store world?

Either way, best of luck.
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #26
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl View Post
I was surprised to see that the previous owner was younger than you are (only 21) when she bought that White Hen. Is that somewhat common in the C-store world?

Either way, best of luck.

Honestly that shocked me a bit too, but it is a bit of a relief. I have no idea if this is some sort of common trend or not.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #27
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Holy moley, thats quite a story about the White Hen. Neuqua, it may be a good idea to reach out to the loyal WH customers and let them know you aren't the big, bad corporation coming into crush the small guy. Let them know you want to be everything for the community the WH used to be - maybe talk to the old WH owner and see if there was anything special she in her store did that you can carry over. Could be a big marketing opportunity for you...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Congrats!

Good luck, man.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #29
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Holy moley, thats quite a story about the White Hen. Neuqua, it may be a good idea to reach out to the loyal WH customers and let them know you aren't the big, bad corporation coming into crush the small guy. Let them know you want to be everything for the community the WH used to be - maybe talk to the old WH owner and see if there was anything special she in her store did that you can carry over. Could be a big marketing opportunity for you...

Nice idea, and go a step further. Talk to the paper and see if they'd be interested in doing a quasi follow up article from your point of view.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #30
JediKooter
Coordinator

Congrats! That's awesome!

If we show our FOFC card, do we get a free Slurpee?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #31
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Nice idea, and go a step further. Talk to the paper and see if they'd be interested in doing a quasi follow up article from your point of view.

"" - Good call. The 7-11 that opened next to me had mailers that offered us a free coffee or slurpee for the first couple of weeks. Now, it was convenient anyway, but it was a nice gesture and it made me stop by - often. At this point, I'm a 7-11 coffee junkee (the French Vanilla Cappuccino - I know, I know its basically sugar, but I can't help myself).

Fyi, has anyone ever seen a 7-11 that wasn't run by an Indian/Pakistani guy? I'm racking my brain, and I don't think I can think of one.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #32
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

No kidding. Maybe talk to her and see if she's willing to come by a few times during peak hours the first week or two to help introduce you to her old regulars or something...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #33
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
"" - Good call. The 7-11 that opened next to me had mailers that offered us a free coffee or slurpee for the first couple of weeks. Now, it was convenient anyway, but it was a nice gesture and it made me stop by - often. At this point, I'm a 7-11 coffee junkee (the French Vanilla Cappuccino - I know, I know its basically sugar, but I can't help myself).

Fyi, has anyone ever seen a 7-11 that wasn't run by an Indian/Pakistani guy? I'm racking my brain, and I don't think I can think of one.

Around here they are mostly run by hispanics or native americans.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #34
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

--- Update ---

After a little under three months of sitting around and doing absolutely nothing, tomorrow I will officially take charge.

I have a staff in place and have been going in routinely over the past couple weeks to start getting the store in my sort of flavor.

Interesting thing happened last night, my newly hired overnight lady, who had been doing a great job last week, all of a sudden dissapeared this weekend. No phone calls or show up. So tomorrow, on my first day on the job, I will be in during the day, come home to nap for a couple hours, and then work the third shift.

Talk about getting your feet wet on the first day!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Interesting thing happened last night, my newly hired overnight lady, who had been doing a great job last week, all of a sudden dissapeared this weekend. No phone calls or show up.

Hrmm... Perhaps you and Coffee Warlord should compare notes.

Good luck!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #36
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Her name wasn't Cheryl was it?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #37
Flasch186
Coordinator

do you have internet access at work? Perhaps updates during the day might be interesting....for awhile anyways.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #38
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

if I was renting a car while coming through Chicago this time I'd totally stop in!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #39
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I'm so there next week!

Where is Warrenville anyway?

Good Luck Neuqua!
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #40
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

One helluva long way from the city.

Of course, Woodridge isn't exactly next door either.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-21-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #41
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Interesting thing happened last night, my newly hired overnight lady, who had been doing a great job last week, all of a sudden dissapeared this weekend. No phone calls or show up.

I've heard that happening, like with CW. How does that work? I mean, aren't there payroll papers to sign/fill-out, last check to send, etc.?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #42
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Congrats and good luck!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #43
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

So it turns out the dissapearing lady is in Kentucky grieving over the death of her cousin. She called today and said she'd come talk to me on Sunday. Ok, but still think it should have been logical to give me a call with some sort of explanation instead of no-showing the entire weekend.

Oh and I would so love it if any FOFC'er were able to stop by at any time. There are places to hang out all around the store and of course you all would never have to worry about slurpees.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #44
Flasch186
Coordinator

eh, cut her some slack. This is a critical moment for you to be the understanding boss. She will likely talk to her friends and they will talk to theirs etc. etc. and it could help spread the word about the cool new stor with the cool new owner. You may have to get tougher later but the first step is important IMO

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #45
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck, Neuqua, as you enter this new part of your new life.

If I'm ever in the neighborhood, I'll drop in.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #46
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good luck, Neuq.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #47
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck!
Not bad to be owning one of Entrepenuer' #1 franchise opportunity...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #48
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

How does a 23 year old buy a business? I didn't have a penny to my name at 23.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #49
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
eh, cut her some slack. This is a critical moment for you to be the understanding boss. She will likely talk to her friends and they will talk to theirs etc. etc. and it could help spread the word about the cool new stor with the cool new owner. You may have to get tougher later but the first step is important IMO

+1.

She's dealing with a death, which coming down on her would make you come off as a jerk in the first place, if other employees got wind of it.

Just make it clear that a call earlier would have been appreciated, but take it easy and definately cut her some slack.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #50
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Damn Warrenville is far away. I do get down to Glen Ellyn and Naperville on occasion, but I rarely have time to kill in those cases. Hopefully I can make the trip someday!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote