Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

eBay Feedback System

So I have been doing quite a bit of buying/selling on eBay in the past few weeks. Mostly selling, since I always seem to get outbid on most of the stuff I try to buy. My feedback score is a 65, all 65 are positive but I take pride in making sure that the transaction is smooth and takes place very quick, especially when selling.

Monday I won two items, Links 2004/Top Spin Combo and the other was Tiger Woods 2005 both for XBOX.

The TW2005 ended at about 9am, the seller sent me a bill about 5 minutes after the auction had ended. I paid the bill no more than 30 minutes later. For some reason I figured this item would have shipping Monday, maybe Tuesday at the latest. I should have received it yesterday, with UPS's typical 3 day delivery. So yesterday I send the seller and email asking if the game has shipped, if not when will it and I was hoping to have it this weekend. No response. The seller has a rating of 24, 100% positive.

The Links 2004/Top Spin Combo I assumed would also ship Tuesday, maybe Wednesday at the latest. I asked the seller to let me know when the item ships. It is now Friday and I haven't heard a thing. The seller has a rating of 33, 96.9% positive the one negative was when he was the buyer.

So basically here I sit Friday afternoon, hoping to play some golf on the XBOX this weekend but I am thinking it isn't going to happen. Then I got to thinking how stupid eBay's rating system is.

Now I am not going to leave negative feedback for either of these guys unless I don't receive the game until late next week. I am thinking neutral is probably the way to go unless I get the game(s) today. Just based on the fact that neither is communicating with me. Typically if a guy leaves you positive feedback, you leave him positive feedback, and vice versa. Seems pretty flawed to me, I will probably get negative or neutral feedback from these guys just because I gave it to them. Or the alternative is to give no feedback which defeats the whole purpose.

Maybe I am just grouchy today or something....

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I use ebay sometimes, but I f'n hate it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I sell/buy alot on Ebay (40-50 items) per week. I try to get items out on Wednesdays and Saturday. If I buy, I'd hope to have the item shipped and received in 7-10 days (at least items in the U.S).

As for feedback, ya.. feedback is pretty much a joke. As a seller, I won't post until the buyer does. One that just buys might wonder why but, as a seller, I have no other recourse against a buyer that might complain without reason. For example, my wife looks at perfume occassionally and I see negative comments like - 'Didn't like the smell'. That would be like me buying a computer game and giving a comment of - 'Wasn't a fun game'.

Plus, leaving a negative feedback for buyers doesn't matter, what matters is unpaid strikes against the buyer (which are hidden). Those are the ones that get you shut down along with refunds to buyers from sellers. You could have 0% feedback and still be active from what I understand....
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok, number one, you're being WAY too anal about when you recieve something. yes its great when folks get things to you in a matter of 3-5 days, but on the average it takes 10-14 for items to reach their final destination. This can be due to the seller only shipping on a specific day (fridays being the big one) or using a very slow manner of shipment, or they just don't get around to it.

The problem is you can never know. All you can do is ship your sales out in the manner you HOPE others will do for you and then sit back and wait for your stuff to arrive. generally Ebay suggest a 14 day wait before submitting anything other than positive feedback and/or contacting them about a bad seller.

Give yourself a break on the expectations and you'll find your ebay experiences get a lot better. I know its hard to be patient, but expecting everyone to ship things to you the moment payment is in their hands is just a bit assinine. Others have lives too.

Maybe you're just grouchy
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I agree with RendeR. I recently got some things off of eBay and it basically took 7-8 days from the time the sellers said they'd ship for anything to arrive. I usually also send an email checking to see when they plan to ship so that I can determine if/when I should start being concerned. There have been times where I've gotten things inside of a week from purchase/shipment, but not often.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Not everyone sells stuff on E-bay as their job, give them a break. They are probably just someone trying to sell some games the don't like that they have.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I think it would be different if the dudes replied to my email or initial request for when the games are going to ship.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

I only ever had one problem with an Ebayer. I was getting rid of alot of my "magazines" and some dude bought a boatload of them individualy. After the auctions ended he decided that since he bought alot of my stuff i should give him a shipping discount, which i declined, he then proceeded to go totaly nuts including trying to call me at 3am. Good times.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"magazines"

Old 06-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
I think it would be different if the dudes replied to my email or initial request for when the games are going to ship.

Yeah- that's the annoying part. If I don't receive things on ebay for a week or so, that's not too bad. But if I never hear from them, that's when I start to worry a little. I doubt someone would risk their perfect rating on a $20 game so it's probably just going slow for the sellers and all you can really do is sit there, wait, and give a neutral feedback if you think it's warranted.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
Joe
Pro Starter

I'd never buy from someone on ebay with such little feedback, but maybe that's just me. Usually I won't if its under 100.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
thetrilogy
Mascot

Quote:
Now I am not going to leave negative feedback for either of these guys unless I don't receive the game until late next week. I am thinking neutral is probably the way to go unless I get the game(s) today. Just based on the fact that neither is communicating with me. Typically if a guy leaves you positive feedback, you leave him positive feedback, and vice versa. Seems pretty flawed to me, I will probably get negative or neutral feedback from these guys just because I gave it to them. Or the alternative is to give no feedback which defeats the whole purpose.

You said it exactly. This is how it always works on Ebay.
Sometimes I get a kick out of reading negative feedback and then the retalitory feedback that always follows. I take pride in my 100% positive
feedback.
I know when it comes to shipping on Ebay it's almost always 1) a ripoff 2) takes longer to get an item than you think.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I bought a new laptop power cord on eBay on Tuesday afternoon, paid for it immediately and had it in my hand Thursday about 1 pm. Awesome.

On the other hand, I have some stuff listed on eBay right now and no one has bid on it
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #14
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Has anyone gotten totally scamed on Ebay? Ive made about 21 transaction as a buyer and its happened to me once. She had good feedback and everything but just disappeared and a few other people seemed to lose their money as well. I lost 65 bucks on that one but I guess thats what I get for using a money order.

Last edited by TheOhioStateUniversity : 06-17-2005 at 03:40 PM.
TheOhioStateUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrilogy
I know when it comes to shipping on Ebay it's almost always 1) a ripoff 2) takes longer to get an item than you think.
I've seen people leave negative or neutral feedback due to shipping costs. But every time I see this it's clearly stated on the auction the shipping cost. If someone is not happy with the cost of shipping they shouldn't be bidding on the item. Regardless if it's higher then it should be, it's on the auction and when you bid you are bidding on the auction as a "whole".
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #16
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
Has anyone gotten totally scamed on Ebay? Ive made about 21 transaction as a buyer and its happened to me once. She had good feedback and everything but just disappeared and a few other people seemed to lose their money as well. I lost 65 bucks on that one but I guess thats what I get for using a money order.

My girlfriend was ripped using my eBay name. I felt a responsibility to do something. Feeling that if I just said "ah, it's not even $20. No big deal" I was as responsible as the person who ripped her.

So, I found the ladies home address and phone number, and called her myself. Even though she pretended to not be the person on the eBay account. Later lobbying to eBay that she didn't have to explain herself to me. Which further showed she was a liar. Also, I found a lawyer in her area of California willing to call her just to make empty threats about a lawsuit. Knowing he couldn't really do anything. It was funny to think about the conversation though.

In the end I did everything I could, and she was banned from eBay. Wah-La.

Last edited by Pacersfan46 : 06-17-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:47 PM   #17
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
I've seen people leave negative or neutral feedback due to shipping costs. But every time I see this it's clearly stated on the auction the shipping cost. If someone is not happy with the cost of shipping they shouldn't be bidding on the item. Regardless if it's higher then it should be, it's on the auction and when you bid you are bidding on the auction as a "whole".

The newest trend I have seen is to list something for a $1 then have shipping costs make up the difference....$50+ on some occassions.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:52 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The newest trend I have seen is to list something for a $1 then have shipping costs make up the difference....$50+ on some occassions.

One of my "favorites" I've seen is how people will tack on giant charges for shipping on illegal type "gift" items. Basically "Bid on this shiny new box. As a free gift we will throw in this Divx version of some movies for free".

SI

Old 06-22-2005, 07:01 AM   #19
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Sold Socom II on eBay last week, June 17th was the actual ending date. I have shipping at $3.75, which I am actually losing $0.10 (note to self, raise shipping cost).

Anyway, the buyer sends me a message Friday asking me to lower the shipping costs to $1.78 because another seller shipped two games for that price to him previously. I replied that I cannot do that, and that I am losing money with shipping costs at $3.75

His response:
Quote:
MUST APOLOGIZE FOR MY DELAY TO ALL SELLERS,RECENTLY ALL MY FINANCES WERE COMPROMISED, MY PAY-PAL, MY E-BAY & MY SAVING AND CHECKING ACCOUNTS. YOU PROBABLY SEEN ON THE NEWS,HOW THIS HAPPENED TO WELL OVER 200,000 PEOPLE,WELL I WAS UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO BE IN THE GROUP. I'M DOING MY VERY BEST TO PAY EVERYONE,ALTHOUGH I HAVE TO CHANGE ALL MY ACCOUNTS TO NEW ONES, TRUST THAT YOU WILL BE PAID. THIS TIME IT'S REALLY NOT MY FAULT. I HAVGE TO PAY EVERYONE BY MONEY ORDER AT THIS POINT,WORKING HARD ON IT TOO!!!

I haven't heard anything on the news recently about such a scam but I haven't watched much news lately either.

I reviewed his feedback, he has about 5 negative scores for not paying.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:06 AM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
I haven't heard anything on the news recently about such a scam but I haven't watched much news lately either.

It is true that tens of thousands of CC #'s were compromised last week by hackers but I doubt that is the TRUE reason he isn't paying.

Cornflake Edit: Check out my battle with a shipping haggler, page 7 is where the fun begins.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...&iid=-1&de=off

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-22-2005 at 07:08 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:30 AM   #21
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sold Socom II on eBay last week, June 17th was the actual ending date. I have shipping at $3.75, which I am actually losing $0.10 (note to self, raise shipping cost).

Anyway, the buyer sends me a message Friday asking me to lower the shipping costs to $1.78 because another seller shipped two games for that price to him previously. I replied that I cannot do that, and that I am losing money with shipping costs at $3.75

His response:

His story sounds like a crock of you-know-what to me.

BTW, the post office offers what they refer to as "media mail". It's basically first class, but half the cost and can be used for media items (I know books qualify, I would imagine software does too). May save you some in shipping and probably get you below the $3.85.

My wife sells 6-7 items per week, and she always tacks on an extra dollar for shipping. Not to turn the screws on a prospective buyer, but to make up for the pain in the butt factor in heading to the post office every few days to ship (we ship at the post office so we can have the receipt just in case someone doesn't receive an item).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:57 AM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
It is true that tens of thousands of CC #'s were compromised last week by hackers but I doubt that is the TRUE reason he isn't paying.

Cornflake Edit: Check out my battle with a shipping haggler, page 7 is where the fun begins.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...&iid=-1&de=off

How in the heck does he have no negative feedback? He has a ton even on the front page but it lists 0.

SI