Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Bump.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

Certainly going to be on my mind today. I was in DC yesterday and go through JFK and O' Hare today. Seven years later, wow, seems like it was not nearly that long ago.

That was a brutal day. I know that there have been bigger disasters around the world since then, but this one strikes so close to home for me. It gave me nightmares for a very long time afterward.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Chris Eliopoulos, long time letterer for Marvel and writer/artist behind this neat webcomic called Misery Loves Sherman, has reposted a two pager he did as a tribute to 9/11. Touching little story...

Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

One of the rare moments in your life where you will always remember where you were and what you were doing. And not for a good reason.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
One of the rare moments in your life where you will always remember where you were and what you were doing. And not for a good reason.

Indeed, I still remember to this day.. I was at work, it was fairly early in the workday, maybe just a bit before 10am, and heading to my 10am meeting with a vendor when my first-wife called my cell phone and told me that all of the channels were having breaking news of a plane hitting the twin towers. Then a little later in the meeting she called again and told me a second plane hit the towers.. At that point we decided to end our meeting and all rushed to the tvs down in the gym to see what was going on..

What a very surreal moment in my life. I think I only remember very few things of such a grand scale.. the Challenger blowing up, the Berlin wall being torn down and this are probably the top three that I remember.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. very surreal. i was on my way out the door heading to class when my dad called to say one tower had been hit, i literally turned on the tv about a minute before the live footage of the second plane hitting -- fucking surreal. will always remember it.

normally when i call and leave message for people at work now i refer to the day that i emailed them (sept. 8) or whatever -- today I can't even do that. I just say "thursday morning"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Indeed, I still remember to this day.. I was at work, it was fairly early in the workday, maybe just a bit before 10am, and heading to my 10am meeting with a vendor when my first-wife called my cell phone and told me that all of the channels were having breaking news of a plane hitting the twin towers. Then a little later in the meeting she called again and told me a second plane hit the towers.. At that point we decided to end our meeting and all rushed to the tvs down in the gym to see what was going on..

What a very surreal moment in my life. I think I only remember very few things of such a grand scale.. the Challenger blowing up, the Berlin wall being torn down and this are probably the top three that I remember.

I don't remember where I was during your other two examples since I believe I heard about them sufficiently later in the day to have the same impact. I do remember the situation with the towers though. I was just getting into the office and a coworker mentioned that a plane hit one of the towers. I remember thinking (and I believe saying) "What kind of idiot would not be able to steer a plane away from something that big?" (thinking it was a bad Cessna pilot) One of those situations where even your first thought gets burned into your memory because of how wrong it was.

Last edited by BrianD : 09-11-2008 at 11:18 AM.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I don't remember where I was during your other two examples since I believe I heard about them sufficiently later in the day to have the same impact. I do remember the situation with the towers though. I was just getting into the office and a coworker mentioned that a plane hit one of the towers. I remember thinking (and I believe saying) "What kind of idiot would not be able to steer a plane away from something that big?" (thinking it was a bad Cessna pilot) One of those situations where even your first thought gets burned into your memory because of how wrong it was.

If I remember correctly, all of the news media were initially reporting that it was a small plane of some kind. You wern't the only one with that incorrect thought. It was only a bit later when everyone realized that it was an actual passenger jet.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote