Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

And Merriman is done for the season

Quote:
SAN DIEGO -- Star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman pulled the plug on his 2008 season on Tuesday when he told the San Diego Chargers he'll have surgery on the two torn ligaments in his left knee.

The loss of Merriman, whose hard hits earned him the nickname "Lights Out," is a big one for a team that has Super Bowl expectations.

Merriman's decision came two days after he barely resembled the player who had an NFL-high 39½ sacks in the past three seasons and played in three straight Pro Bowls.

Merriman didn't immediately return e-mails and telephone calls seeking comment.

"Shawne informed me he did not feel right and thought it best to shut it down," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said in a statement. "The road to winning the AFC West just got more difficult, but not impossible. Nothing is impossible. Shawne is a great player and an inspirational leader. He will be missed. We wish him a successful surgery and a speedy recovery."

Merriman had only two tackles in a shocking 26-24 loss to Carolina at home on Sunday. Even though Merriman appeared to be a non-factor, coach Norv Turner said he thought the linebacker looked "explosive and very physical."

Late in training camp, Merriman said that the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee were torn.

He spent several days getting opinions from four doctors from outside the organization, all of whom recommended he have surgery. But on Aug. 27, he announced that he was going to play, saying, "If you give a football player a decision to play, you know, I'm going to play."

But, he acknowledged, "I'll have the surgery at any point. Nobody knows. I kind of left it on the table when to have it. Not even doctors can tell me that."

Rehab is expected to be six to seven months.

Merriman has said he's had pain in the knee since late in the 2006 season. He also injured the knee during a game at Tennessee on Dec. 9. He sat out the following Sunday, but played in the last three regular-season games and the Chargers' three playoff games, including a loss to New England in the AFC championship game. He also played in the Pro Bowl.

Merriman had offseason arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage in the knee.

Second-year pro Jyles Tucker is expected to take Merriman's spot.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

ESPN - Merriman to undergo knee surgery, miss 2008 season - NFL

Not surprising at all.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-09-2008 at 08:05 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Is there a reason he did not have the surgery back in January when the problem was first known?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Is there a reason he did not have the surgery back in January when the problem was first known?

I think he gave the reason when he said....

Quote:
If you give a football player a decision to play, you know, I'm going to play."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

This is going to be one of the most interesting seasons in a while, I think. The top QB and league MVP out, the top linebacker and one of the top defensive players in the NFL out, and the 2007 sack leader is out. It's only week one.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

I got to watch the SD/Carolina game and I was shocked he lasted the whole game without having to be taken out on a stretcher. He looked pretty good actually, but this really was the right decision in my opinion. Too bad he didn't have the surgery in January though-he might have been able to play at some point late in the season if he had.

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-09-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

He really should have gotten it taken care of right away. I guess even if he had the surgery in Jan, he still likely wouldn't have come back until very late in the year, and that was only if they didn't put him on reserve right away.

I guess he really didn't have that much to lose by waiting. But it wasn't like it was suddenly going to be healed just waiting.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

He was juiced up.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

A guy at my fantasy draft a couple weeks ago said that he was holding off on the surgery in order to get a roster bonus or something to that effect. He basically said this is exactly what would happen, but I don't really understand why.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

Would he 'qualify' to get a ring IF the Chargers were to win the Super Bowl if he started the season on IR?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Would he 'qualify' to get a ring IF the Chargers were to win the Super Bowl if he started the season on IR?

Totally up to the Chargers.

The Pats give rings to guys in the mailroom
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Totally up to the Chargers.

Ah ok cool. I thought perhaps you had to be on the team for at least one game to get a ring.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Kind of screwed the Chargers from getting a player to fill the void when he was gone. At least if he did it in January, it would allowed the team the ability to get someone who could help fill the gap.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

I couldn't see why not; IR or not, he is still on the team.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #14
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I got to watch the SD/Carolina game and I was shocked he lasted the whole game without having to be taken out on a stretcher. He looked pretty good actually, but this really was the right decision in my opinion. Too bad he didn't have the surgery in January though-he might have been able to play at some point late in the season if he had.

Looked good during the game...probably couldn't move the next day.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #15
kenparker23
n00b

Best thing he could have done for his career is to shut it down. No way he could play a full nfl season with a post cruciate/lat collateral tear. When he said he was going to ignore FOUR opinions and play, I thought he was nuts.
kenparker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #16
Pyser
Pro Rookie

seemed selfish to me. took up a roster spot on the 53 man roster, where sd had to cut a guy they wouldnt have had to if he shut it down a week ago.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Looked good during the game...probably couldn't move the next day.

I guess you guys were watching a different game than I was. I thought he looked horrible. He was limping through plays and he didn't have a single secondary move. It was bull rush, period. No spin move. No swim move. Nothing that involved lateral movement.I think he broke down the pocket two times all game. Jake was sacked one time in 41 pass attempts.

The Panthers attacked and abused him on the ground, with a lot of their runs going to his side. Coaches and players who know he's not going to spin or move side to side quick would have really exposed him as the season went on.

He's making the right call to get this thing fixed. He's a special player. Besides, the Chargers have LB depth. The guy nobody has ever heard of isn't a bad football player. (that would be Jyles Tucker, a guy who will likely end the year with 8-10 QB sacks)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #18
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

The Pats should have sent rings to the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins as a thank you for being so horrible.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
seemed selfish to me. took up a roster spot on the 53 man roster, where sd had to cut a guy they wouldnt have had to if he shut it down a week ago.

Trying to play through pain isnt selfish and shows some heart and desire. Its not like they cant just up and call a guy that they cut to come back if they choose to do so.

Now if he did it for a roster bonus that opinion changes....

Last edited by muns : 09-10-2008 at 01:07 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #20
Arctic Blast
n00b

Hmmm...if something happens to Big Ben or Peyton this week, it's official...the NFL is launching a conspiracy to get Favre to the Super Bowl.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Trying to play through pain isnt selfish and shows some heart and desire. Its not like they cant just up and call a guy that they cut to come back if they choose to do so.

how do you figure. what could he possibly know this week that he didnt know last week, that he couldnt have figured out in practice or a pre-season game. FIVE doctors told him to get surgery. him not making it through the season is not a surprise.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #22
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I am not sure I am buying this one either. If Merriman was struggling as Troy says he was, he probably costs his team more than he helped his team.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #23
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
how do you figure. what could he possibly know this week that he didnt know last week, that he couldnt have figured out in practice or a pre-season game. FIVE doctors told him to get surgery. him not making it through the season is not a surprise.

Its pretty simple. Your the man on the team, you try and act like it and play through it. I didnt see the Chargers begging him not to play on their "D". Seems like they wanted him to try and try he did.

He didnt take the easy way out and say screw it im done, my next contract after this season is more important. He didnt give up on the season and his teammates right away. He went out their put it on the line and realized that he couldnt do it.

Having 4 ACL knee surgeires myself I can guarantee that in practice and in pre season or whatever he was doing with the team he wasnt going full blown. In the real game he was. So ya I can see him not testing it hard so that he had the opportunity to give it a go in season. One set back in practice blows that, and he wouldnt even had the chance to play in the game.

IMO that is heart, desire and determination.

Last edited by muns : 09-10-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 AM   #24
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
IMO that is heart, desire and determination and stupidity.
Corrected. Maybe he thought the drugs could dull the pain enough to play?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #25
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Corrected. Maybe he thought the drugs could dull the pain enough to play?

Cant argue with the stupidity comment. Drugs have helped him in the past so I could see him thinking it might work for a bit. I wouldnt think he would have thought it would go all year like that though.