Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

PING: EaglesFan27, et. al.

I mean take it easy on the Bucks. They just barely beat poor widdle Ohio U. Oh no! Hopefully USC will keep it to no more than a 4 TD win.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I hope the Bucks can win a game against a tough OOC opponent. They've been hands down the best team in the Big Ten the past 2 years plus, but losing (badly) in big games has killed the Big Ten.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

When does OSU win big games OOC vs teams not named Notre Dame?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I can't really say much because Penn State hasn't beaten a top 25 team on the road since 2002, but they have won their last 3 bowl games against Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Florida State.

But a OSU win this week would be great for the image of the Big Ten.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
When does OSU win big games OOC vs teams not named Notre Dame?

Texas? Miami? Kansas State? OSU actually has a pretty decent recent history in big OOC games. They've just lost the 2 most important ones of the last 2 years.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Miami? It's been a while since that would be considered a "big OOC game".
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

I assuming he meant in the NC game. Based on what I saw Saturday, in two years, they might be there again.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

maybe he means Miami of Ohio?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Texas? Miami? Kansas State? OSU actually has a pretty decent recent history in big OOC games. They've just lost the 2 most important ones of the last 2 years.

If Harstock catches that TD pass, you could say Texas x 2.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
If Harstock catches that TD pass, you could say Texas x 2.

Ryan Hamby, I believe that was.

And yes, that's Miami-FL in the national title game I was intending.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You're right...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

35-21 USC. You heard it here first!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'll get flamed for this I am sure, but oh well, here goes!

I think Tressel has done remarkable work with OSU. He has bitch slapped my beloved Wolverines, and been in three title games, but I can't help but think he is overrated.

My problem is this. His biggest wins are against some very poor coaches. Now I respect Lloyd Carr and what he did for Michigan, but he was an average coach. Any good coach would've won a few of those OSU games, but I-Form Lloyd blew a few of them.

Larry Coker was ATROCIOUS. He may've been the worst coach ever in a NC game.

Mack Brown has shown time and time again he isn't a great game coach.

Charlie Weis .. is Charlie Weis.

Those are the four marquee teams he has beaten, and kudos to him for doing so. Those guys are not bad, but they are not great.

A great coach is someone who can do it all. I mean come on, OSU teams STILL struggle with spread offenses, no matter how great their D is. He still cannot beat SEC teams, and his teams still play weak teams way too tight.

I just feel like the Vest is good, probably great, but he is not an elite coach, of which there are probably only two at this stage: Pete and Urban.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I am sure I am not. I wouldn't be surprised at all if USC runs Ohio State out of the Coliseum. USC's D is on another level and I think OSU's offense is going to get beat up bad. If USC gets up early, and Boeckman has to throw, it could be really ugly. Unless Beanie is 100% and able to ground out 6 and 7 minute drives, I'd be really worried as an OSU fan.

And no this is not a jaded Wolverine fan talking right now, just a college football fanatic.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'll get flamed for this I am sure, but oh well, here goes!

I think Tressel has done remarkable work with OSU. He has bitch slapped my beloved Wolverines, and been in three title games, but I can't help but think he is overrated.

My problem is this. His biggest wins are against some very poor coaches. Now I respect Lloyd Carr and what he did for Michigan, but he was an average coach. Any good coach would've won a few of those OSU games, but I-Form Lloyd blew a few of them.

Larry Coker was ATROCIOUS. He may've been the worst coach ever in a NC game.

Mack Brown has shown time and time again he isn't a great game coach.

Charlie Weis .. is Charlie Weis.

Those are the four marquee teams he has beaten, and kudos to him for doing so. Those guys are not bad, but they are not great.

A great coach is someone who can do it all. I mean come on, OSU teams STILL struggle with spread offenses, no matter how great their D is. He still cannot beat SEC teams, and his teams still play weak teams way too tight.

I just feel like the Vest is good, probably great, but he is not an elite coach, of which there are probably only two at this stage: Pete and Urban.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I am sure I am not. I wouldn't be surprised at all if USC runs Ohio State out of the Coliseum. USC's D is on another level and I think OSU's offense is going to get beat up bad. If USC gets up early, and Boeckman has to throw, it could be really ugly. Unless Beanie is 100% and able to ground out 6 and 7 minute drives, I'd be really worried as an OSU fan.

And no this is not a jaded Wolverine fan talking right now, just a college football fanatic.

As an Ohio State fan I agree with everything minus the talk about the senator.

I'm nervous. If we get beat, we get beat. I would not be disappointed getting beat by an outstanding USC.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

The reason they always look average is that he is SO conservative. That is a fault of his I am willing to own up to. Even playing against Ohio U., he refused to unleash the offense until they were down 8 points in the 3rd quarter. Then, Boeckman came out of his shell a little bit and they stopped being so vanilla.

The reason he does that, is that I think he really doesn't want to tip his hand against better opponents. Why give them something to scout? It's run-run-pass-punt, and hope that the special teams and D can create scoring opportunities against weaker opponents (which is where Ohio U. and most of the Big Ten historically break down).

Urban Meyer did outcoach him BADLY in the 2006 title game. But I don't think Les Miles outcoached him in the 2007 game. OSU's QB just isn't elite. If they lose to the Trojans, that's where the fault will once again lie. Not the coaching.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The reason they always look average is that he is SO conservative. That is a fault of his I am willing to own up to. Even playing against Ohio U., he refused to unleash the offense until they were down 8 points in the 3rd quarter. Then, Boeckman came out of his shell a little bit and they stopped being so vanilla.

The reason he does that, is that I think he really doesn't want to tip his hand against better opponents. Why give them something to scout? It's run-run-pass-punt, and hope that the special teams and D can create scoring opportunities against weaker opponents (which is where Ohio U. and most of the Big Ten historically break down).

Urban Meyer did outcoach him BADLY in the 2006 title game. But I don't think Les Miles outcoached him in the 2007 game. OSU's QB just isn't elite. If they lose to the Trojans, that's where the fault will once again lie. Not the coaching.

I'll concur with that. He has the talent to play vanilla so he doesn't show much before big games, but I feel like that is as much a hinderance as anything. Let the kids make those plays before the big game. They have elite talent, so the execution ought to be the same vs Ohio or vs USC.

I think that is why we may enter another 10 year war period (providing Rich stays that long) because it'll be an aggressive spread team that gives OSU fits.

Should be a fun era .. Sans year one.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait to watch the game. I just hope Ike doesn't prevent me from doing so.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-08-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
SFL Cat
College Starter

looking more and more like it's going to hit the Texas coast.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote