Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

How 'Bout Them Tigers!

Over .500, here we come!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Has Halladay left the park yet?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Vince
Pro Starter

Speier's in now.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'm mean literally left the park. Seems like he should have showered and left by now...
Old 04-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
Vince
Pro Starter

Heh...he had quite a few K's...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Didn't Halladay start like this last year?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-05-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Excellent to see. If for but one day, the Tigers have a winning record. It's very good to see. Almost all of the new guys chipped in to get the win too. Detroit has to be very happy right now.

Bless You Boys!!
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:47 PM   #8
Ksyrup

"Pudge Rodriguez is a winner"
Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

What was funny about last year was there was a group at my church that had bought a batch of tickets to a Tigers game in May. I remember thinking to myself when they announced it that the Tigers should be out of the pennant race by then. I didn't think it would actually happen, though.

This year, they'll be better. They'll be out of it by mid-June.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:02 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

In the AL Central there's always hope.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #11
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Tigers and Astros, World Series 2004!!! Buy tickets now!!
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:21 PM   #12
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

no no no. tigers and dodgers.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:22 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr
no no no. tigers and dodgers.

Screw that. Pirates won today, it's them and the Tigers.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dola. Found Halladay's new press photo after the events of today.

SI

Old 04-05-2004, 08:47 PM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I know its one game, but the fact that we went a combined 0-20 the last two seasons before we got our first wins of the year brings me such great joy.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I know its one game, but the fact that we went a combined 0-20 the last two seasons before we got our first wins of the year brings me such great joy.

Congrats! Now you know what it was like for the Royals to get that first win last year after the 100 losses the season before. The next day shines just a little brighter. I remember growing up a Cubs fan and any winning opening day was just a cool feeling

SI

Old 04-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #17
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Haha. Indeed. We've had so few moments to cause for joy in my 18 years. This is one, and here's hoping it continues.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:04 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How are your arms this season? I'm guessing that's the big question mark. Your lineup has the potential to be pretty good but they're fragile (Pudge, White, Vina, Guillen, Young have all missed significant time in one of the last couple of seasons).

SI

Old 04-05-2004, 09:07 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The pitchers are all young so who knows. Johnson is a solid starter, and will beneit mightily from Comerica. Bonderman has shown flashes of being a solid starter, same with Maroth and Cornejo. Lot's of coulds when describing them basically.

The bullpen will be a lot better with Al Levine, Danny Patterson and Uggy Urbina all year. If we can make a trade for one more solid starter we have the capability of a .500 season.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:20 AM   #20
TLK
Pro Starter

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ead.php?t=7330 ---- Last year's version.... I like the way this years is starting out
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:46 PM   #21
Ksyrup

The last time the Tigers started the year 2-0 on the road was 1984.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:41 PM   #22
JeffNights
College Prospect

I already made several bets with Buddies at work about the good odl Tigers.

They will win 86 games and take at AL Central.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM   #23
DeToxRox
Head Coach

4-0 baby!

The offense busted out in the last 3 innings, especially in the 7th when we put up 5 runs with 2 outs. Vina, Pudge and White all walk. A wild pitch. Pena, who looks like a brand new player with a solid single up the middle scores two. Guillen walks. Higginson triples. It was beautiful.

And congrats to Alex Sanchez for his 3rd career HR. A shot too all things considered.

I LOVE IT
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM   #24
Ksyrup

OK, 4-0 - this is getting ridiculous!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM   #25
Ksyrup

Missed it by that much!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:54 PM   #26
j25352857
Mascot

maybe they'll be in the race until may this year
j25352857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:54 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Haha. I am glad there are such other eager Tiger fans on the board. For once we can admit to it without being looked at suspiciously.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:56 PM   #28
Ksyrup

The Tigers are nothing. I get pitiful stares just for admitting I am from Detroit.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #29
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

as big of a whitesox fan as I am, I still find my self rooting for the tigers even tho were in the same div, 4-0, awesome. lol
Old 04-08-2004, 03:58 PM   #30
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ha, I live 30 minutes away from Detroit. Right by Royal Oak. It's easiest to say you live by Detroit but the reaction isn't great.

and for j2, you try being a die hard fan of a team and living through what we did last year. you take anything you can get.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #31
Ksyrup

I was born in Livonia. I just say Detroit because it's easier, but I'm not sure it's worth the trade-off.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #32
j25352857
Mascot

well as a twins fan who had to endure all those lean years from 92-00, I know what you're talking about. Though none of those years were as bad as detroit last year, i feel your pain. If only they weren't in the same division as the twins.
j25352857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #33
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Livonia; I have plenty of family who live there. I live in Berkley myself.

We did happen to tie Churchill in hockey this year when they were ranked #2 in the state on their Senior Night. Now I dunno if you have any affiliation with the school but if so, that's me gloating, just a friendly gloat.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:11 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Has Halladay left the park yet?

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:17 PM   #35
Ksyrup

We moved to Texas when I was 10, but I would have gone to Stevenson if we had stayed until high school. To the best of my recollection, we last lived off of 5 Mile and Farmington - the Francavilla subdivision or something along those lines?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #36
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

How about the momentum turning strike'em out--throw'em out by Cornejo and Pudge...next inning, Tigers tie the game up...

Look, anyone that has played some competitive baseball knows that the catcher sets the tone for the team...Pudge has been better than anyone could have guessed, and I think he deserves high praise for this 4-0 start...last year, the Tigers would have been hopelessly out of the last two games, after getting out to such a bad start...but our lineup can makeup for early deficits and Pudge can coax these inexperienced pitchers through their tough innings...

With our first 4 pitchers through the rotation, I think the valuable lesson for them is that even if they aren't 100% sharp...if they manage the game well and battle to prevent big innings, this is a team that has a chance to come back...

Now, this may sound like common baseball knowledge, but in Detroit, this is something we have been missing for many years...

As a 28 year old fan who can remember the 84 Tigers well, and who grew up idolizing Trammell, this is the most excited I've been about a team since the early 90's...

Even if we fall off the face of the earth in the upcoming month, this first week has reaffirmed my love for baseball and for the Tigers...

This isn't HockeyTown, it's TigerTown...and with the exception of perhaps St. Louis, their isn't a town more devouted to baseball than Detroit...we just need an OK product to get excited about...

I'm rambling...and I'm not checking for grammar cause I'm excited...take it as it is...

Kevin
(owner of every Alan Trammell baseball card EVER produced...yep, sad...)

btw, graduated from Novi...many cousins graduated from Stevenson and BENTLEY!!!
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:31 PM   #37
Ksyrup

Wait...Cornejo struck someone out? Something is definitely afoot at the Circle K!
Old 04-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #38
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

How about Milwaukee v Detroit in the 2004 World Series..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #39
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Heh, Cornejo and strikeouts...pretty funny thing...

Here's his line...

Detroit IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Cornejo, Nate (W 1-0) 7 7 4 4 2 4 2 5.14

Ok numbers...good enough to win, though last year this would have been an automatic loss...

My concern is why a guy (Cornejo) who is 6'3, 240 pounds, why is his fastball (sinker) only hitting 85???

I understand the ball may move more at this speed, but he was hitting 93 in the minors when he won 20 games between AA-AAA-Majors...LET HIM LOOSE!!!!

Kevin, the Wildcat...
Old 04-08-2004, 04:38 PM   #40
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Since we are talking Detroit sports...anyone play in the KVC during the early 90's??? A curious former football/baseball player...

Kevin
Old 04-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #41
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

damnit...I'm excited about Detroit sports...Wings, Pistons, Tigers, hel*, even the Lions, where are the Detroit fans??? Rise up guys!!! We are powerful, we produce the goods this nation needs, let's hear your Detroit (area) pride...

EDIT (let it be known that few, if any posters are actually from Detroit, but the 'burbs of Detroit are as nice a place as any suburb you can hope to live in...no doubt...)

btw...anyone looking for an unemployed History teacher???

Kevin--having too much fun with Detroit-sports teams recent success...
Old 04-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #42
DeToxRox
Head Coach

There isn't much of anything in Detroit lol. I mean, there's Comerica/Ford Field, and State Theater and whatnot across from it, and then Greektown. Aside from that it's not very sociable.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #43
Tasan
College Starter

Be prepared for the 158 game losing streak.

Remember I called it ;- )
Old 04-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #44
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
There isn't much of anything in Detroit lol. I mean, there's Comerica/Ford Field, and State Theater and whatnot across from it, and then Greektown. Aside from that it's not very sociable.

Give me a break...no...Detroit is not a Chicago-type town, but what about the suburbs that have sprung up that have great night life??? If you are in your 20's, there are a lot of places to waste your money where hot ladies hang out in little outfits...plus, tell me, is there an area that has such great support for its sports teams as the METRO Detroit area---Red Wings, Pistons, Lions, Tigers, WOLVERINES, Spartans????

This is a sports area...plus with the great lakes, and the various inland lakes, this state is an exceptional state for recreational play...I LOVE MICHIGAN!!!

Besides, if you don't like us, we'll stop sending our supply of fresh-water to your state!! (Hear that Southwest???)

Kevin
Old 04-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #45
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

And, as an educator, there are few states that can claim such a quality educational system as Michigan...that's a fact...look it up...

EDIT--Sorry, to get back on the topic...HOW' BOUT THEM TIGERS!!! GO WINGS!!! GO PISTONS, RE-SIGN SHEED!!! GO BLUE, GO!!!

Kevin

Last edited by kserra : 04-08-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #46
sooner333
College Starter

I'm happy with my Tigers second in the AL Central pick right now...I should bask in my glory now because it may not last.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:48 PM   #47
DeToxRox
Head Coach

lol you mistook me people. I said the actual city of Detroit isn't very good. The suburbs are great. I live in a suburb of Detroit. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:14 AM   #48
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love Detroit. It's home. But DeTox is right, the city proper is sad, so very, very sad. It's not a real city. Then again, there really aren't too many "real" cities in the U.S. Chicago, New York, Washington D.C., San Fransisco... How many more? But Detroit is particularly bad. It has pockets, small pockets of life, but nothing more.

That said, I love it. I love the sports teams. I am damned happy to see the Tigers go 4-0, the Wings and Pistons in the play-offs, and the draft coming up!
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:18 AM   #49
TLK
Pro Starter

Anybody want to setup a Comerica Park visit?.... best would be on a Saturday or Sunday.... but I'm open to anything...
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 05:12 AM   #50
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
Anybody want to setup a Comerica Park visit?.... best would be on a Saturday or Sunday.... but I'm open to anything...

That would actually be a good idea, I would be up for it, Saturday or Sunday would work best for me too.

And it should be when the weather actually gets warm enough that you want to be outside
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote