Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

The NBA 2014 Offseason Thread

The Finals are next week so I am starting the offseason thread for that sort of discussion.

Woj is reporting that Frank Vogel will be back as Pacers coach.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Woj is reporting that Frank Vogel will be back as Pacers coach.

In which case I suppose the question becomes which players will be back as Pacers.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If Lance isn't gone, I will have to take a few years off as a fan. I hate players like him.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
nol
Banned

Unfortunately, it's more likely after this past series. He'll be much cheaper because nobody's gonna want to be the team offering him $7M+ per year only to have the Pacers say "Know what? He's your problem now."

Also seems like Derek Fisher will retire. Next season's Knicks coach?

Last edited by nol : 06-01-2014 at 12:00 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lakers coach...?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
nol
Banned

Quin Snyder about to sign on as the Jazz's new coach.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cavs are talking to the head coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv(so). Sounds like an interesting choice, dude runs some crazy offensive sets from what I hear. David Blatt
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
nol
Banned

He might be more well-known in America as the head coach of Russia's national team. He's led them to some impressive results like a bronze at the last Olympics.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
whomario
Pro Starter

The Warriors are also talking to him to bring him in as an assistant for Kerr, who had talks with him also. That would be a brilliant move for the Warriors, one along the lines of a rather common theme you see in soccer: Bring in a "big name" who can motivate players or just basically set a good tone, but pair him with a savvy X/O guy who really knows the game and is willing to put the work in without getting as much recognition.

Wolves also try to get him to sign on as an assistant (i´d assume that then Saunders would take the reigns for a year and then give Blatt control in year 2)

In general think it is a good thing that quite a few teams are widening their parameters rather than always recycling the same old coaches that get hired again and again.

he does not have a system and blindly sticks to it, rather he has so many options in his playbook that he can accomodate pretty much every type of roster (and yeah, him playing under Carrill at Princeton definitely had an influence)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-06-2014 at 05:19 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

He would be a home run hire for the Warriors. Unfortunately, they won't be able to offer any upward mobility, so it's only a temporary stop for him. I think that really hurts their chances.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Quin Snyder about to sign on as the Jazz's new coach.

Thought this would draw more comments on FOFC.
I was baffled by Tyrone Corbin as the Jazz head coach, but Snyder getting an NBA job trumps that hire in a big way.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I was baffled by Tyrone Corbin as the Jazz head coach, but Snyder getting an NBA job trumps that hire in a big way.

He's a solid Xs and Os guy, but away from the court is where his issues have been. If he does end up at Utah, it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the local culture.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post

I have this awesome picture I took of Quin coaching in a championship game

Spoiler

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He's a solid Xs and Os guy, but away from the court is where his issues have been. If he does end up at Utah, it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the local culture.

I tried to Google if he'd converted to Mormonism but came up empty.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
lungs
Pro Rookie

Who better, Wiggins or Parker? (if Emblid goes 1, who should the Bucks take?)
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
whomario
Pro Starter

If i were making the call, i´d try to see what is available when trading down a couple spots.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think if I were running the show in Cleveland, I'd be seeing if the Sixers would be willing to trade 3 and 10 for the 1st.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #18
nol
Banned

I was gonna say when people were talking about Kevin Love that the Wolves would be better off striking a deal with the Cavs centered around the first pick and then trying to move down a couple spots from there.

Those two deals would probably be the best haul of cheap young players they could get, which is absolutely what they should be doing since none of these Warriors/Celtics/Bulls offers would make them any better in 14-15 than what they were this season. Don't think the 76ers would give up 3 and 10 for 1 since they seem like they'd be fine with whoever's left at 3, but they don't necessarily need to move down when some team could come out of left field with an offer like when OKC wanted the Brad Beal pick for Harden.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Derek Fisher is the new coach of the Knicks. 5 years/$25 million.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Kevin Love would have no interest in re-signing with the Cavs, so unless Cleveland would do the trade without any assurances, I don't see it being made.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
nol
Banned

I think they're desperate/delusional enough to still think they can recruit LeBron (Exhibit A: offering Calipari $80 million for 10 years to be coach/team president), and it would be wise to prey on that.

Last edited by nol : 06-09-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #22
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Wiggins since he can play defense.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think they're desperate/delusional enough to still think they can recruit LeBron (Exhibit A: offering Calipari $80 million for 10 years to be coach/team president), and it would be wise to prey on that.

I don't think it's particularly delusional to offer the best available coach whatever it might take to sign him.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #24
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Derek Fisher is the new coach of the Knicks. 5 years/$25 million.

I doubt either Jackson or Fisher are with the Knicks when that contract expires.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #25
nol
Banned

Well, I guess regardless of whether or not you think making John Calipari the highest-paid coach in the NBA and giving him a 10-year deal is a wise strategy, it's safe to say that the Cavs are in enough of a risk-taking mood that trading for Kevin Love without assurance he'll re-up isn't necessarily something they'd shy away from.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #26
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Wiggins since he can play defense.

With new ownership, John Hammond basically has a 1 year window to impress his new bosses. I would be very surprised if he didn't select Parker.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I guess regardless of whether or not you think making John Calipari the highest-paid coach in the NBA and giving him a 10-year deal is a wise strategy, it's safe to say that the Cavs are in enough of a risk-taking mood that trading for Kevin Love without assurance he'll re-up isn't necessarily something they'd shy away from.

I wouldn't do it but if he elected to pick up the option(like Chris Paul did) I would at least entertain the thought.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:47 AM   #28
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Wiggins has the higher ceiling so I'd take him. Don't think you can go wrong with either though.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #29
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think if I were running the show in Cleveland, I'd be seeing if the Sixers would be willing to trade 3 and 10 for the 1st.

Never happen...Hinkie doesn't roll that way.

The Sixers are in a great, great spot as they get one of the three elite and there is no way of blowing the pick since they get whatever drops to them (I mean being blamed for blowing the pick).

The tenth pick is gravy.

5 second rounders too...gonna be a fun draft night.

Based on what happens with the 3rd pick, they'll decide what to draft with the tenth.

So you could have Embiid and Noel and then draft a shooter
So you could draft Wiggins and then draft a shooter
So you could draft Parker and then get a wing

In conclusion, Hinkie won't waste two draft picks to move up two spots, he has all the versatility right now to do whatever he wants.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #30
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

The Cavs really are like a spurned lover who thinks they'll get'em back. It's amazing that they are trying to build a team on the chance of getting Lebron back instead of building the team with what they have.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #31
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Wiggins has the higher ceiling so I'd take him. Don't think you can go wrong with either though.

Embiid is being compared to Olajuwon. Wiggins has a higher ceiling than that?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #32
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

I think the original question was about Parker or Wiggins under the assumption Embiid would go at 1
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #33
korme
Go Reds

Did anyone watch 'The 84 Draft'? So good.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #34
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I just did. And I didn't know the whole story about Sam Bowie and his multiple injuries. I feel sorry for this guy.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #35
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
I just did. And I didn't know the whole story about Sam Bowie and his multiple injuries. I feel sorry for this guy.

He made $15m in his NBA career. I don't feel that sorry for him.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #36
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
He made $15m in his NBA career. I don't feel that sorry for him.

Sure thing. That's what I told to myself when typing my previous post, but still, he is a sad $15M millionaire. He could have made even more !
Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #37
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Recorded it. Pretty excited to watch it - esp with your positive comments.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #38
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sorry, I meant between Parker and Wiggins. I'm assuming Embiid goes first.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #39
whomario
Pro Starter

As a side note, i sincerely hope that Nash will play a big role in the NBA related media, one way or another (analyst, color man).

I love the inclusion of Oscar Schmidt, truly one of the great international players. I recommend watching his HOF speech, very good stuff.

The tragic thing about Bowie is that much like Oden he did nothing wrong to deserve the scorn he was getting. There´s so many "busts" that were busts due to screwing up themselves.

Last edited by whomario : 06-10-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #40
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

I would take Parker because he will likely be a 20+ ppg 6 rebs type of guy, whereas Wiggins has a questionable motor and very unrefined offensive game. Athletically Wiggins is off the charts but the NBA is littered with athletic guys who do not do much.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #41
whomario
Pro Starter

Plus the Bucks already have the Greek Freak and in theory he fits much better next to Parker than Wiggins. (and imo he showed enough before hitting the rookie wall, to take that into consideration)
Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isn't the Greek Freak basically going to hopefully be a better version of Boris Diaw at best? I know he was all highlights and stuff but his game is still pretty questionable for the long run.

And now the Cavs are supposedly back-channeling Mark Jackson.

Thus far-
Tom Izzo
John Calipari
Mark Price
David Blatt
Tyronn Lue
Adrian Griffin
Lionel Hollins
Alvin Gentry

have all been interviewed or offered the job(probably others I'm forgetting). Crazy.

Last edited by stevew : 06-10-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #43
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Isn't the Greek Freak basically going to hopefully be a better version of Boris Diaw at best? I know he was all highlights and stuff but his game is still pretty questionable for the long run.

And now the Cavs are supposedly back-channeling Mark Jackson.

Thus far-
Tom Izzo
John Calipari
Mark Price
David Blatt
Tyronn Lue
Adrian Griffin
Lionel Hollins
Alvin Gentry

have all been interviewed or offered the job(probably others I'm forgetting). Crazy.

That guy is an amazing coach I would like to see him coach in the NBA; not sure if the Cavs are the right team though. Leonard Hamilton is available for the Cavs.

Last edited by Noop : 06-10-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'm not sure I see what the advantage is for a successful college coach to jump to the NBA? Twice as many games a season and dealing with guys who will simply pout or give up if they don't get their way.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #45
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Which would still be a heck of a player Put it differently, that would be Lamar Odom, wouldn´t it ? And Lamar Odom was pretty damn good. (only with some Kirilenko-type potential defensively thrown in)

The problem with him is obviously that he is literally the most unfinished player in the league at this point, but that is also the intrigue. Personally i was shocked at some of the things he was able to do so early after so little formal basketball training. Because that´s the thing, aside from the highlights the thing that people watching him extensively were most excited about was that he not only held his own but stood out in categories you would expect a guy like him to struggle with the most (awareness on both ends, refined passer and ball handler, very good defensive instincts, getting to the FT line). And by all accounts, there is no question about his character and work ethic at all, something a lot of "projects" had to battle.
He also is a 6´10/6´11 guy who can legitimately guard 3s and get by them offensively.

I mean, he was the youngest player in the league who also had the least playing experience of anyone and likely played at the lowest level of competition of everyone in the league (the greek 2nd division and even that not for very long)

You also can not underrate that he had to come in and play for the Bucks who not only were terrible but also without any sort of clear direction, veteran leadership or consistency (they seemingly had 2 changes to their starting lineup every week).

Basically i don´t see why he couldn´t be a better player than Wiggins 2 years from now,

Last edited by whomario : 06-10-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #46
nol
Banned

A better version of Boris Diaw who's in good enough shape to stay on the court is basically an All-Star. Giannis is still hard to project because of his inexperience, but he really does have a nose for getting rebounds and blocks that you wouldn't expect him to due to his limited physical strength. Could easily see him putting up numbers like Nic Batum, but Antentokounmpo has probably shown himself to be a better creator off the dribble and rebounder than Batum was at that age.

edit: and even when just looking at highlights in transition, one key difference is that there are quite a few where he pushes the ball up himself and makes some good decisions. His ability to do that in addition to the usual running the floor and finishing an alley-oop is pretty unique at age 19.

Last edited by nol : 06-10-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #47
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I would take Parker because he will likely be a 20+ ppg 6 rebs type of guy, whereas Wiggins has a questionable motor and very unrefined offensive game. Athletically Wiggins is off the charts but the NBA is littered with athletic guys who do not do much.

This is my thought as well- Wiggins seems like the kind of athletic player the NBA falls in love with but seems to actually turn out to get anywhere near their potential maybe 1 in 4 or 5, whereas Parker is probably rookie of the year and a very good contributor right away
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #48
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
That guy is an amazing coach I would like to see him coach in the NBA; not sure if the Cavs are the right team though. Leonard Hamilton is available for the Cavs.

I think a team like the Thunder would be interesting since they don't really play that great of team defense, and you know they can score. Any sort of defensive structure would make them scary.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #49
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I'm not sure I see what the advantage is for a successful college coach to jump to the NBA? Twice as many games a season and dealing with guys who will simply pout or give up if they don't get their way.

To me it gets more alluring every year.

As a college coach you have to beg another kid every year to come play for you, kiss the ass of not only an entitled 18 year old but also his AAU, Rec League, High School coach and a few handlers who just need their palms greased....and for all that you get the services of the kid for 1 year, 2 if you are lucky. Then you get to make sure his tutors take his tests and he stays out of trouble else you are plasterd all over the paper.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #50
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
To me it gets more alluring every year.

As a college coach you have to beg another kid every year to come play for you, kiss the ass of not only an entitled 18 year old but also his AAU, Rec League, High School coach and a few handlers who just need their palms greased....and for all that you get the services of the kid for 1 year, 2 if you are lucky. Then you get to make sure his tutors take his tests and he stays out of trouble else you are plasterd all over the paper.

On the flip side, if you don't have the best player in the league with a solid cast around him, you are essentially screwed in terms of winning a NBA title.