Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

2009 World Baseball Classic

Just a reminder that Team USA's first game is against Team Canada in Toronto at 2 PM this afternoon on ESPN.

samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

This Dominican Rupublic - Netherlands game has been pretty good through five innings.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the reminder. Almost forgot about this.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

Netherlands are getting dangerously close to upsetting the Dominican Republic. 3-2 in the 8th. Would be one of the bigger upsets in baseball history.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Netherlands are getting dangerously close to upsetting the Dominican Republic. 3-2 in the 8th. Would be one of the bigger upsets in baseball history.

Absolutely. I sort of want them to do it.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
PineTar
High School JV

Upset!
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Well played Dutchies. I hope USA - Canada is even half as entertaining.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Half-watched China/Taiwan last night. I've never heard announcers less into a game. There's was a lot of this: "groundball to...er...Kashi...er...that guy playing short, throws it to...um...the first basemen. *yawn* 2 outs"

Would have been so much better if at least one of the announcers was Asian or a scout in Asia, or similar
Old 03-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm normally not a fan of Steve Phillips on ESPN but I actually thought he was a real solid color guy. He seemed to know a ton of info on almost every Dutch player. Was able to frame a nice background and storyline and made the game interesting.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Close win for the U.S. They kept shooting themselves in the foot with leaving men on base. Not driving in a run with bases loaded no outs in 7th and bases loaded in the 8th was bad. Have to wonder if Canada had Harden and Dempster on the roster if they would have been able to beat the U.S.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
samifan24
Pro Starter

Good game. Does anyone know which relievers will be available for the US tomorrow? I know Oswalt is starting but I don't know how many relievers didn't go today aside from Matt Lindstrom.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Oh..... I see
Old 03-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Seeing the Netherlands - Dominicap Republic score and the 'upset' tag, I wonder. As I'm not much of a baseball follower, so I don't consider myself an expert at all, I think I need some explanation here. How would this rank against, say, beating Cuba at the Olympics? Gut feeling says it's an apples and oranges discussion, with both being great performances for the Dutch team.

To get some feel for the game, how would you place the chances of a team versus a bunch of more talented individuals?

Looking at the roster for the Dutch team, it seems half of them played at the 2008 Olympics. The Dutch come together a couple of times per year, for example to play (and win) the European Championships every two years and finish 5th (or so) in the Olympics every four years. In theory, you'd have to think the Dutch have a better case of being called a team. In contrast, the Dominican Republic seems to be entirely made up of MLB pro's, while the Dutch team has just a handful of real pro's joined by two dozen semi-pro's at best. A classic skill versus team situation?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Seeing the Netherlands - Dominicap Republic score and the 'upset' tag, I wonder. As I'm not much of a baseball follower, so I don't consider myself an expert at all, I think I need some explanation here. How would this rank against, say, beating Cuba at the Olympics? Gut feeling says it's an apples and oranges discussion, with both being great performances for the Dutch team.
The "real" Cuban national team with all their stars would be on par with the Dominican team. In terms of upsets, I would put this on par with a college baseball team beating the New York Yankees. The college team might have a guy or two that will play in the major leagues and another few in the minors. It's definitely up there with the USA-USSR hockey game in 1980.

I think that's the proper comparison. The Dominicans certainly seemed to think they could just roll out there and win without a full effort, and then when they turned it up they pressed and made dumb mistakes -- stealing third down 1 late in the game?????

Considering Netherlands scored their only runs thanks to a fluke infield single, a bunt single, a walk, a wild pitch and a throwing error, the combination of events that brought about the win were amazing. They got three hits the entire game that never left the infield.

A win is a win. Considering how Netherlands got pounded at the Olympics, this was a stunner.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's such a stunning upset that the link on ESPN's website points to a story that doesn't exist. I guess they didn't think it needed covering and now, oh crap, they have to report the news even though the story isn't written yet.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
The "real" Cuban national team with all their stars would be on par with the Dominican team. In terms of upsets, I would put this on par with a college baseball team beating the New York Yankees. The college team might have a guy or two that will play in the major leagues and another few in the minors. It's definitely up there with the USA-USSR hockey game in 1980.

I think that's the proper comparison. The Dominicans certainly seemed to think they could just roll out there and win without a full effort, and then when they turned it up they pressed and made dumb mistakes -- stealing third down 1 late in the game?????

Considering Netherlands scored their only runs thanks to a fluke infield single, a bunt single, a walk, a wild pitch and a throwing error, the combination of events that brought about the win were amazing. They got three hits the entire game that never left the infield.

A win is a win. Considering how Netherlands got pounded at the Olympics, this was a stunner.

any one single baseball game can never be considered that much of an upset. there's too much chance involved in baseball for any game to ever be a lock for 1 team.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
any one single baseball game can never be considered that much of an upset. there's too much chance involved in baseball for any game to ever be a lock for 1 team.
I think it's easier for a major upset in baseball than in some other sports, if for no other reason than a great pitching performance can even the playing field. Then again, a great goaltending performance in hockey can level the playing field in a hurry too.

But I think the comparisons are apt. Netherlands won one game in the Olympics last year and in most of their games were blown out. They were outscored 50-9 in five of their seven games they were shutout and got four hits or less including a one-hitter. They've got three guys with major league experience, one of whom has a career ERA of 6.97 and one is Randall Simon, who played in an independent league last year.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

US takes the lead in their game against Venezuela. Youkilis shaving the stupid beard was a good idea.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #19
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

De Rosa just walked with the bases loaded and nobody out to tie it at 3. USA has a chance to take a nice lead here.

Like the announcers the Jeter for Rollins sub made me cringe. I hate the All-Star team/exhibition game "let's have everyone play" mentality that seems to affect our baseball and basketball teams in international competition.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Ianetta clears the bases with a double off the wall. 6-3 in the sixth and the US is looking good for the next round.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
De Rosa just walked with the bases loaded and nobody out to tie it at 3. USA has a chance to take a nice lead here.

Like the announcers the Jeter for Rollins sub made me cringe. I hate the All-Star team/exhibition game "let's have everyone play" mentality that seems to affect our baseball and basketball teams in international competition.

Unlike virtually any other major extraseasonal competition, the WBC takes place during spring training.

If you take a significant player away from his team, and don't give him playing time, how do you expect to convince teams to let their best players go to the WBC in the future?

I know it's a double-edged sword, because the risk of injury is going to make them reluctant, too. But if you take them and then don't use them, you give them back to their teams still tinged with winter's rust. That's not as bad as saying "Sorry, we broke him, he'll be okay in six months," but it's not really going to advocate well for your position, either.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #22
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Let them play every other game or something, like they've done with the catchers. It's just retarded seeing Rollings go 2-3 then be subbed out.

Youkilis HR makes it 10-3.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
samifan24
Pro Starter

Big win for Team USA. Is the next game Tuesday night?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #24
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm not trying to be snarky and I mean this honestly, but I had no idea that so many people cared about the WBC. I've heard that ESPN has been promoting the crap out of it, but I didn't think anybody placed much more importance on it than, say, the Pro Bowl. Hmm. Shows what I know.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #25
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post

To get some feel for the game, how would you place the chances of a team versus a bunch of more talented individuals?

Looking at the roster for the Dutch team, it seems half of them played at the 2008 Olympics. The Dutch come together a couple of times per year, for example to play (and win) the European Championships every two years and finish 5th (or so) in the Olympics every four years. In theory, you'd have to think the Dutch have a better case of being called a team. In contrast, the Dominican Republic seems to be entirely made up of MLB pro's, while the Dutch team has just a handful of real pro's joined by two dozen semi-pro's at best. A classic skill versus team situation?

Its a big upset but not something that anyone will remember past the next few days. Baseball is a sport where a dominating team can lose to a marginal team on any given day especially at the higher levels. Also, the rules are set up to protect MLB players and many of these players are not in their peak condition so this event is entertaining IMO but not something I will put too much into. These results would be much different in July when the best players have their timing and the pitchers are in good form.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #26
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky and I mean this honestly, but I had no idea that so many people cared about the WBC. I've heard that ESPN has been promoting the crap out of it, but I didn't think anybody placed much more importance on it than, say, the Pro Bowl. Hmm. Shows what I know.

I think the popularity of it comes from the countries other than the USA. I think many Americans realize that this event isnt a true indicator of where the baseball power really is while countries like Japan and Cuba want to show the world they have the talent to compete at any level. Id really be into this event IF they could find a better time to play it where every country was atleast in some sort of common form. If the USA wins Ill be happy if they dont I'll just pinpoint the loss to their players being in spring training form. I get much more enjoyment out of olympic baseball.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #27
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

@ Australia ten-running Mexico 17-7.

Quote:

Football, soccer, basketball, and baseball are my four favorite sports to watch. I follow this with interest just as I do the USA's World Cup or Olympic basketball campaigns. The tournament may not be nearly as prestigious but you can't fault the premise even if the execution (time of year, format) could be improved. I also think it's cool that baseball is doing something like this, especially since baseball has been removed from the Olympic games. Hopefully the tournament can attract more of a following over time and I don't really see why it wouldn't.

And I don't watch the Pro Bowl.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I personally love this stuff. Lots of fun to watch. I am a big fan of the World Cup, so seeing baseball have a tournament like that is terrific. Now if only we get to the point where every single player more or less wants to play for their country, with no reservations, and to be left off of the team or need to remove oneself from consideration is a crushing defeat for said player (as it is in the WC). I am hoping to see that one day.

I am also hoping fervently to see expatriate Cuban players and the current team reunited to put out the best potential Cuban team for once. Contreras, Kendry Morales, Livan Hernandez, who else? They should be playing for their countrymen right now. Stupid politics.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I think many Americans realize that this event isnt a true indicator of where the baseball power really is while countries like Japan and Cuba want to show the world they have the talent to compete at any level.

Oh, I dunno about that. I think Americans who downplay it also don't want to admit how good the rest of the world is. True its MLB spring training, but a lot of the players on other squads (like Venezuela as we say yesterday) are from the MLB.

Where ever you put it, you are going to have pluses and minuses for one country or another.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #30
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Stupid politics.

you could then take this notion to the extreme and do away with geo-political boundaries altogether, then no need for a WBC. *cue John Lennon music*
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #31
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am very interested in his series. I have been looking forward to it for a long time. The idea behind it is good, and being able to see some guys who would never get a shot on this stage go against bonafide stars is fun to me.

I think that the timing is a little off, but can't think of another time where it would be better. The fact that it's in the spring means real baseball, to lead into the regular season.

I like hearing the stories of the players from the other countries, and I think that as time goes on the major league teams will have an easier time letting their players play, as long as the managers follow the instructions for the players.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

OK, I see now. I was just very surprised at the following this event has. Maybe the following surprises me because the WBC is so new. I thought it would take at least 4 or 5 go-rounds before it caught on. Well, that's great. I hope it continues and attracts even more fans than it already has. I wish people had latched on to Arena Football so quickly.

What I mean is that I wish people had latched on to Arena Football at all.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

South Korea beats Japan in the 2nd game between the two 1-0. Though both teams are moving on to the second round.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
OK, I see now. I was just very surprised at the following this event has. Maybe the following surprises me because the WBC is so new. I thought it would take at least 4 or 5 go-rounds before it caught on. Well, that's great. I hope it continues and attracts even more fans than it already has. I wish people had latched on to Arena Football so quickly.

What I mean is that I wish people had latched on to Arena Football at all.

It's not a good comparison, though. I mean, this is an event comprised of the best baseball players in the world. It's new, but it's still a World Cup-type event.

If NFL players played arena football, people would watch.

This is a novelty, but for a baseball fan it's been a long time coming to get something like this.

Even the best comparison to your Arena Football comparison is 20/20 Cricket vs. regular cricket, whereas 20/20 is a bastardized version of the game, but has caught on and become popular pretty fast around the world compared to regular cricket.

But again, it's the best players in the world playing and that I think makes all of the difference.

I hope AFL makes it back though. I mean, they had a good run and then it seems management got greedy and started thinking they were further along than they really were.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #35
samifan24
Pro Starter

South African leadoff hitter Gift Ngoepe is really fun to watch. He's pretty much like Juan Pierre back when Juan Pierre was actually good. Yes, his name is actually Gift and Charley Steiner told a story tonight about how Gift was actually born on a baseball field. By the way, if you Google his name, the second link is his Facebook page. This is the picture:

Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
you could then take this notion to the extreme and do away with geo-political boundaries altogether, then no need for a WBC. *cue John Lennon music*

Politics has its places. One of those places is NOT the baseball field.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #37
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
It's not a good comparison, though. I mean, this is an event comprised of the best baseball players in the world. It's new, but it's still a World Cup-type event.

If NFL players played arena football, people would watch.

This is a novelty, but for a baseball fan it's been a long time coming to get something like this.

Even the best comparison to your Arena Football comparison is 20/20 Cricket vs. regular cricket, whereas 20/20 is a bastardized version of the game, but has caught on and become popular pretty fast around the world compared to regular cricket.

But again, it's the best players in the world playing and that I think makes all of the difference.

I hope AFL makes it back though. I mean, they had a good run and then it seems management got greedy and started thinking they were further along than they really were.
Well, I wasn't really trying to compare the WBC to Arena Football. I'm just glad that people have become fans of this event pretty quickly, and as an AFL fan, I'm sad that the AFL was around for over 20 years and didn't get a whole lot of anything. I was just jealous more than anything.

In any case, my curiosity has been satisfied here. Since I haven't followed the WBC, I just didn't know that it was such an important event to many baseball fans. To be quite honest, I thought it was basically contested like a series of exhibitions that didn't really hold any kind of prestige. I was obviously grossly wrong about that, and seeing how many people are interested in it has opened my eyes.

The bottom line is that I just didn't get it.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #38
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap! Italy beat Canada?! Daaaaamn!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
South African leadoff hitter Gift Ngoepe is really fun to watch. He's pretty much like Juan Pierre back when Juan Pierre was actually good. Yes, his name is actually Gift and Charley Steiner told a story tonight about how Gift was actually born on a baseball field. By the way, if you Google his name, the second link is his Facebook page. This is the picture:

Npho, his given name is Npho.

He's signed with the Pirates too. He'll be playing for them in the minors after the WBC is over.

Here's a story about Gift:

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #40
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Yeah, Italy's good, I guess. Well that and Canada didn't have any big pitchers. Chris Denorfia went off.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well, I wasn't really trying to compare the WBC to Arena Football. I'm just glad that people have become fans of this event pretty quickly, and as an AFL fan, I'm sad that the AFL was around for over 20 years and didn't get a whole lot of anything. I was just jealous more than anything.

In any case, my curiosity has been satisfied here. Since I haven't followed the WBC, I just didn't know that it was such an important event to many baseball fans. To be quite honest, I thought it was basically contested like a series of exhibitions that didn't really hold any kind of prestige. I was obviously grossly wrong about that, and seeing how many people are interested in it has opened my eyes.

The bottom line is that I just didn't get it.

I was just showing off my cricket knowledge homes.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #42
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Npho, his given name is Npho.

He's signed with the Pirates too. He'll be playing for them in the minors after the WBC is over.

Here's a story about Gift:

Thanks, I missed this story. I like him already and will be rooting for him.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #43
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

It was cool reading some of the translated comments on the Gazzetta dello Sport's website, and I was happy to see that it was on the front page when this week's focus is on Juventus, Roma, and Inter in the Champions League.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #44
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Netherlands and Dominican tied 0-0 in the top of the 9th. This would be amazing if Netherlands can pull it off.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #45
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Bottom of the 9th now. Netherlands coming to the plate with a chance to win it.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Lord knows I'm watching

SI

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #47
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Headed to the 10th.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #48
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Amazing game.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #49
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Any idea how fast Boyd is throwing?

SI

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #50
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Wow that was close. Are you all watching on MLB Network? Is it on any other channel?

I'm watching online through my mlb.tv subscription.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote