Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Lorena
Unregistered

Looking to ship a package - UPS or Fedex?

We procrastinated and now we need to ship a 20 lb. package to Las Vegas in time for X-mas. I've read a bit on both, but I'm still unsure which to choose. Does anyone have any personal experience with both companies?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the replies.

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
bryce
High School Varsity

I DESPISE UPS. I've never sent anything with them, only received, but it's a nightmare, ESPECIALLY if you live in an apartment. They only deliver from like 8-5, when of course nobody is home, and there is no further sinking feeling than seeing that yellow and brown note on your door:

"We tried delivering this package when we knew you wouldn't be home, and we are not allowed to leave packages unsigned, so we will try again tomorrow during the same hours when we know you will also not be at home, and then we will leave this same note. We will do this a third time, and THEN we will make YOU come get your package at our warehouse, which is a good 30 miles from your home. And, of course, this warehouse is only open from 8-5, when you are of course at work, so you will need to schedule time off from work to pick up your package that was shipped to you. Also plan on VERY lengthy lines at said warehouse. All told, receiving your package will take at least 3 days after you were originally supposed to get it, depending on when you can get to our warehouse, and then you will need to stand in line for at least an hour, plus half an hour to an hour driving time EACH way. Enjoy your package, and happy holidays!"

Seriously, what is the delivery success rate for UPS? 10% 5% It makes me angry just thinking about that company.

edit to add - Having said all that, I now live in a house, and they do leave packages on my porch now... But the scars from my apartment life dealings with them still leave me obviously very bitter.

Last edited by bryce : 12-19-2008 at 09:16 AM.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This time of year I'd probably say go with FedEx.

On a regular basis though, I've found UPS to be equally reliable on random one off shipments. For corporate accounts no, but for single pkg stuff, I've actually had better luck with them being on time & accurate than Fed Ex (and USPS better in those situations than either).
Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
bryce
High School Varsity

Agree with Jon on Fedex for corporate. USPS for personal. But I avoid UPS like the plague.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have the opposite experience from bryce. I have a UPS guy that makes regular deliveries to our house for random things. If I am not around, he leaves them in a very covered and safe location, whereas the fedex and post office usually just sets it out front on the porch which is uncovered and easily accessible from the street.

I also have a UPS shipping facility like 3 minutes from my house which is by far the most convienent place to ship anything from (other then the post office down at the bottom of the street I guess).

Last edited by Alan T : 12-19-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'd have to say UPS also. Like Alan, I've had the same driver for a few years now, and unless the vendor specifically says a signature is required, he'll leave it in a nice hidden spot. Never had something not delivered on the day UPS originally said it would be delivered. It seems to be a really well oiled machine in the Philly suburbs.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
"We tried delivering this package when we knew you wouldn't be home, and we are not allowed to leave packages unsigned, so we will try again tomorrow during the same hours when we know you will also not be at home, and then we will leave this same note. We will do this a third time, and THEN we will make YOU come get your package at our warehouse, which is a good 30 miles from your home. And, of course, this warehouse is only open from 8-5, when you are of course at work, so you will need to schedule time off from work to pick up your package that was shipped to you. Also plan on VERY lengthy lines at said warehouse. All told, receiving your package will take at least 3 days after you were originally supposed to get it, depending on when you can get to our warehouse, and then you will need to stand in line for at least an hour, plus half an hour to an hour driving time EACH way. Enjoy your package, and happy holidays!"

Hilarious, and at the same time, sadly true.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Atocep
Coordinator

So we've have some bad weather here in the Seattle/Tacoma area over the past week, but USPS has delivered on time as they normally would.

However, I ordered something for my son for Christmas and it was supposed to be shipped 2nd day delivery on the 18th. I still haven't received it. I call UPS last night and they said they've been trying to deliver it for two days but weather has prevented them from delivering it even though I received a different package from them last night. I ask about a refund or even a partial refund for the difference between 2nd day and standard and they said that since my problem is weather related and therefore beyond their control they won't issue any refund.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Working at UPS, Id take FedEx for airs and UPS for ground shipments. However, there really isnt much difference. Also, USPS will work just fine and be cheaper. I should also say that most UPS ground shipments should make it there in 3 days. And those packages that you pay all that extra money to 2 or 3 day it? Yeah, most of those just go by ground anyway.

As for Atocep, sorry to hear that. I hate to hear about anything not making it there in time for christmas. Assuming the shipper sent the package out in time, it is completely inexcusable for it to not be delivered in time.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
I DESPISE UPS. I've never sent anything with them, only received, but it's a nightmare, ESPECIALLY if you live in an apartment. They only deliver from like 8-5, when of course nobody is home, and there is no further sinking feeling than seeing that yellow and brown note on your door:

Seriously, what is the delivery success rate for UPS? 10% 5% It makes me angry just thinking about that company.

edit to add - Having said all that, I now live in a house, and they do leave packages on my porch now... But the scars from my apartment life dealings with them still leave me obviously very bitter.

I am a driver for UPS and there are several options rather than waiting for 3 attempts or driving long distances to pickup a package. The best option is to ask a neighbor who is home nearby to sign for it and notify driver you wish to do so ( believe me the driver doesn't want to have to attempt this package 3 days in a row), you can also request an alternative address and have it rerouted to your workplace, friend, family. Many of the rules of delivery especially apartment complexes actually ensure successful deliveries as apartments are huge areas of theft as many people will walk by that package throughout the day.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote