Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Lorena
Unregistered

So what's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

My in-laws live in Vegas and it's been snowing a lot, I also heard it snowed in Malibu, CA?! That's a beach area, very odd.

It's 57 out here, but foggy.

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Partly sunny & about 70, after something like rain in 7 days of the last 10. Even our overnight lows have only hit mid-50s for the past few days. This is supposed to last until Sunday when it drops to low 50s highs & upper 20s lows.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Global warming is a bitch.

We're actually closing the office early today in expectation of a nasssty storm.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

49 degrees, slightly overcast. High of 54 today. Thunderstorms scattered around. Supposed to be clear and slightly warmer tomorrow.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

too cold, too much snow, too much ice. And more on the way. Sounds like another foot or two of snow before this weekend is over.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Way too cold... just waaayyyy too cold.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

It has been fucking freezing up here for the last couple weeks. It's a balmy -13 Fahrenheit today (with the windchill it's -33 F), which is sadly warmer than what it was earlier in the week (I think on Sunday it was -56 F with the windchill or something stupid).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's cold. Hovering just around freezing. We're getting ready for the same "nasssty storm" storm CW mentioned. They are expected 3-5" of snow starting around midnight or 1 AM through the morning and another 3-5" throughout the day tomorrow.

The commute will be awesome!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
too cold, too much snow, too much ice. And more on the way. Sounds like another foot or two of snow before this weekend is over.

For once my parents are looking forward to more than just seeing the grandkids when they leave Brockton next week to come down for Christmas...
Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Storyline is that there will be a nasty storm in Chicagoland. I work about 3 blocks from my house, so no ugly commute home for me.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Icy
Pro Starter

We are having one of the coldest winters in the last 30 years in Spain, snowing a ton that is not usual here unless at the North. I wonder where is the global warming...

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

We've been fortunate here in South Carolina, seems along with parts of Georgia and all of Florida to be the only places having nice weather. Temps in the 60's and 70's, some fog in the mornings, a little rain here and there but nothing major.

Looks like the Midwest and then the Northeast are going to be nasty the next couple of days
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

As the local ESPN station jokingly labeled it, we were having the "Arctic Apocolypse" for a couple of days...it got all the way down into the upper 20s with very slight freezing precipitation. Yesterday was low 40s with fog. Today, well, I haven't been outside yet but it appears to be mid 40s with a chance of rain.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #14
path12
Coordinator

Snow here, traffic is a mess. I'm staying home also. One of the perks of living here, it doesn't snow enough to have the infrastructure for it, and there's a ton of hills. Place shuts down for days like this.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Snow here, traffic is a mess. I'm staying home also. One of the perks of living here, it doesn't snow enough to have the infrastructure for it, and there's a ton of hills. Place shuts down for days like this.

+1

Watching the news this morning I was amazed by all the accidents.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

KC has an ice storm that's expected in about an hour or so. Should be a fun drive home.

The temperature at Arrowhead on Sunday for kickoff is expected to be 3 degrees with a -20 degree windchill. I'm guessing the visiting Miami Dolphins won't be too happy about that forecast.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-18-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #18
Flasch186
Coordinator

eh, with your track record it'll be sunny and 72....

im totally just kiddin' with ya

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #19
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Cold and snowy. The storm in the Chicago area is expected to move north into our neck of the woods, bringing another 10 inches of snow with it (luckily no ice up by me, from what I have heard)
Old 12-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #20
Flasch186
Coordinator

honestly, it's beautiful out today.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

Up till last night it was raining the last couple days, snow down to 2500 feet. Cold for here (50-55 during the day high thirties - low forties at night).
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Oh and there was 45 inches of snow in Big Bear, well above normal even for them.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #23
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
+1

Watching the news this morning I was amazed by all the accidents.

Yeah, folks from places that get plenty of snow are always surprised at how bad it gets.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #24
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

After being colder than normal for much of the last month, we've been kind of trapped in a London/Seattle (non-winter-storm variety) mix of weather the last few days: mid 50s and just socked in with clouds and fog. No heavy rain, but just a lot of misting and drizzling. Supposed to improve tomorrow before I guess the really cold stuff (relatively speaking) comes charging back in here by early next week.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #25
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Weather on the tv went off..

Ice Storm Warning.

Yippe.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #26
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

It's nice and crisp during the days, and then cold as balls at night.

Please get warmer at night!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #27
SackAttack
Head Coach

Winter Storm Warning just got issued. Between 4-7" of snow expected between 3am and 6pm CST.

It's a balmy 6 degrees right now. High of 25 forecast for tomorrow. I guess I'd rather have snow now and dry weather on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day so I can go visit friends to the south than the other way 'round.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #28
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
It's nice and crisp during the days, and then cold as balls at night.

Please get warmer at night!

I thought balls were explicitly NOT supposed to be cold. What kind of freak are you?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #29
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I thought balls were explicitly NOT supposed to be cold. What kind of freak are you?

Well, I assumed everyone had a Sharper Image Personal Testicular Ionized Cooling Unit.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #30
tarcone
Coordinator

after a week of teens and 20 s and a small ice storm on monday, we are getting to 50 on friday. Then comes Sunday with a high expected to be 18 or something stupid. Our weather guy said this was one of the coldest Decembers in St Louis recorded history.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #31
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Winter Storm Warning just got issued. Between 4-7" of snow expected between 3am and 6pm CST.

It's a balmy 6 degrees right now. High of 25 forecast for tomorrow. I guess I'd rather have snow now and dry weather on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day so I can go visit friends to the south than the other way 'round.

So how have you adjusted to the harsh winters out there?
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #32
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't want to talk about it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Freezing rain in southwest Chicagoland at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if the vaunted snows they're projecting are going to happen as anticipated or not. I'm fine with it, if it happens...just curious about it.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #34
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
So how have you adjusted to the harsh winters out there?

I think it's in the eye of the beholder, really. My dad's side of the family is virtually all Canadian, and what I've seen so far doesn't really measure up to the winter stories they've told over the years. Ask me again in February.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The snows have hit here.

There's less than expected, but it's still coming down. My office is "closed", but that doesn't really mean much of anything for me. I may still have to go in, though I'd rather not.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #36
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just got all "all clear."

SNOW DAY!!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #37
MLA
n00b

Mild and clear in Europe.
MLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

They delayed the opening of the university until 10am today. No students on campus, just staff since finals ended yesterday.

We didn't get much snow, though the freezing rain and sleet and such came at random times. It's not pretty out and I imagine the drivers are doing silly things, but given the hype, it ended up not being much.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #39
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't think most of the snow has even hit Chicago yet. We got 10-12 inches of snow and a coat of ice in north east iowa last night and this morning. Everywhere has closed and I'm staying home from work.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #40
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

We got hit with 8 to 12 inches overnight with another 3-5 expected today. Looks like I will be a bit late going into the office this morning.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #41
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Apparently it's going to warm up to -2 F tonight and then snow on us. I'm actually looking forward to it; cold snow is generally fluffy and light and easy to shovel, yet with the slightly warmer temps I might be able to stand at the bus stop for 10 minutes without my wiener going MIA.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #42
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure how much we had, probably 8 so far with blowing and drifting.. Car is plowed in by a 3 ft snow bank so, I'm working from home today...

Good news is that with all the blowing, I don't have to rake the roof.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #43
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Rake the roof?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Rake the roof?

I'm assuming he means pull the big chunks of snow off his roof to reduce the amount of weight stress on the roof. Rake works well for that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #45
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Still snowing here in Chicago. In the past 5 minutes where I am (just north of the city, it's turned from a sort of snow/sleet mix to fluffy snow, which is nicer. I'd estimate we only have about 5 new inches on the ground where I am, but it's supposed to go on for a while.

I got told late in the day yesterday by my client that they would be encouraging people to stay home, so I'm home today. The only major thing I have is a call with senior leadership at 10:30, but that meeting, usually in Deerfield, got switched last night to conference call only.

I just looked at our car which stays in the driveway and looks like the early sleet encased it in a block of ice. Luckily I don't need to use it until Monday. Hopefully it'll thaw out by then.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #46
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm assuming he means pull the big chunks of snow off his roof to reduce the amount of weight stress on the roof. Rake works well for that.

One could also do this to keep snow from melting and refreezing back up into the eaves. If you have a well-insulated roof, though, it's usually not a problem.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #47
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Rake the roof?

Certain style buildings/houses need the snow raked off or they are at risk of collapsing. It isn't a good idea for most roofs to hold several feet deep worth of snow on top of them. I've heard stories about families dying due to roof collapses under the snow.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #48
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Certain style buildings/houses need the snow raked off or they are at risk of collapsing. It isn't a good idea for most roofs to hold several feet deep worth of snow on top of them. I've heard stories about families dying due to roof collapses under the snow.

Hmm, I wonder if I've been playing with fire (or snow, I suppose) all my life, or if living in the prairies basically eliminates the risk because the wind keeps snow from building up too high? I can't imagine see a house with 'several feet' of snow on the roof, that sounds wild!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #49
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
One could also do this to keep snow from melting and refreezing back up into the eaves. If you have a well-insulated roof, though, it's usually not a problem.

My brother-in-law had some ice-damning issues a couple years ago, I forget how he solved them, I didn't think it was with a rake though. Interesting little lessen I'm getting here!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #50
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Gotta love the snow. Just thankful I am not further south, as they seem to be getting even more than we got last week.