Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Any folks going to play Warhammer Online:Age Of Reckoning

I'm in the open beta preview this weekend (and then the early access part,a s a preorder), and I was hoping that we could get a FOFC group together...

(edited title to ruin the joke of the guy below me)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-19-2008 at 08:44 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
RedKingGold
College Starter

Only if he blows as bad as in IHOF.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Calis
College Starter

I was huge into Dark Age of Camelot for several years, and had a blast. I really love Mythic's focus on Realm vs. Realm and sounds like it'll be the same in this one.

I just don't think I have the time or the desire to go through another MMORPG. Especially with everything else that is coming out this fall.

I'm pretty bitter with the whole genre, and it's going to take something pretty drastic to rekindle interest.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I've been in the beta for a month or so now. Been on an FM kick in the last week or so, so I haven't been on for a bit.

That said, I should at least be around to say hey.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I plan on playing.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I have been in beta for about 6 months. Things have come along way. I'll be in at launch.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I've been in the beta for a month or so now.

Any impressions so far? I have a group of what appears to be 15ish people right now that i played EQ/DAOC/WoW with that are all planning on playing. I'm following the crowd on this one, dunno where/what side we'll end up, but I'll be playing I am sure.

Right now I feel like I'm done with raiding(for the forseeable future at least), but I would *love* a good PVP endgame.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I haven't done any raiding at all in beta. In fact I don't think I've been in any of the dungeons, but I have done quite a bit of RvR. My goal will be to get my character of choice to 40 as fast as possible and then just RvR all the time. I agree that raiding is just not that fun to me.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Any impressions so far? I have a group of what appears to be 15ish people right now that i played EQ/DAOC/WoW with that are all planning on playing. I'm following the crowd on this one, dunno where/what side we'll end up, but I'll be playing I am sure.

Right now I feel like I'm done with raiding(for the forseeable future at least), but I would *love* a good PVP endgame.

I've been in beta since May-ish (I'm friends with a dev ). Its shaping up solidly right now. PvP is nothing like WoW's where its almost entirely individual based (the individual player's spec, gear, ect). It really feels like the next evolution for DAoC style play as it offers very fun RvR whether it be small scale skirmishes or large scale pvp (terrain and tactics play a role).

The artwork is breathtaking at times. The inevitable city is one of the most impressive looking things I've seen in any game, MMO or not. The keeps in this game make the relic keeps from DAoC look like a kid's sandbox and a greenskin keep doesn't in any way resemble a elven keep (and so on).

The game still has some bugs to sort out and like every other MMO won't be perfect out the box, but if you enjoyed DAoC there's no reason you won't like WAR. Its not going to be for everyone, but the people I've gamed with last 4 or so years that are in beta are loving it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #10
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Recently I've been trying AoC but stopped since the game is still a beta, probably wil try it again in 6 months.

For Warhammer, I'm really unsure about the game and scared that they release a beta just like what happened with AoC.

In the meantime I've gone back to playing LOTRO (thanks to the lifetime subscription) which in the end is a very enjoyable game.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #11
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Not me.. Since I'm going to have surgery the last week of August, then a long recuperation time I figure I'll stick with LOTRO and not worry about buying a new game and figuring out how to pay for another sub without working....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 AM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I didn't know anyone but me was still playing LOTRO from the board. Which server are you guys on?

As for me and Warhammer, probably not. Still into LOTRO, and pretty heavy into raiding for the first time ever. With the expansion coming in October, I'll be set with new stuff for awhile.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 AM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

Not gonna try it. Sticking with WoW. I'm not much of a PvPer.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I've been in beta since May-ish (I'm friends with a dev ). Its shaping up solidly right now. PvP is nothing like WoW's where its almost entirely individual based (the individual player's spec, gear, ect). It really feels like the next evolution for DAoC style play as it offers very fun RvR whether it be small scale skirmishes or large scale pvp (terrain and tactics play a role).

Precisely. DAoC has long been my favorite MMORPG, and I've been long waiting for a successor. Warhammer is doing pretty well at that on the PvP front.

I still think (and you're talking to someone that despises PvE for the most part) one of the coolest features is the Public Quest system. Essentially, they are mini-raid spots located in the world that anyone and everyone can just walk into and start helping out. No setting up a group, no having to fight your way into anything, just walk in and do shit. You immediately know what you have to do, and just throw yourself into the fray. At the end, a dice roll + some sort of contribution calculations determines 'winners'. Top however many get loot.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

By the way, for those of you who heard and shuddered about the cutting of 4 of the 6 major cities...when you see just how much detail and how insane the 2 'in' major cities are, you'll see why it wasn't a bad idea.

Though I still think the class cuts were unnecessary.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Precisely. DAoC has long been my favorite MMORPG, and I've been long waiting for a successor. Warhammer is doing pretty well at that on the PvP front.

I still think (and you're talking to someone that despises PvE for the most part) one of the coolest features is the Public Quest system. Essentially, they are mini-raid spots located in the world that anyone and everyone can just walk into and start helping out. No setting up a group, no having to fight your way into anything, just walk in and do shit. You immediately know what you have to do, and just throw yourself into the fray. At the end, a dice roll + some sort of contribution calculations determines 'winners'. Top however many get loot.

I can't wait.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm definitely going to check it out, but probably not right at release.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

I preordered and got my beta key. I know open beta hasn't started yet, but I went to download the client so i'll be ready. Good thing, it's 10 gigs. It might take me a week to get that whole thing downloaded.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #19
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Curious really, are the oceanic servers gonna be playable by People in the us (thats how i get to raid and such since i work nights, i play with the aussie's on the oceanic wow servers)
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #20
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

how do they handle to "you are a small cog in a huge machine" aspect of the warhammer world? do you have to follow orders from a superior at some point?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

Open Beta for pre-orders start tomorrow. Anyone know what time the servers will be open? Is it at midnight tonight, or tomorrow morning/afternoon?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Open Beta for pre-orders start tomorrow. Anyone know what time the servers will be open? Is it at midnight tonight, or tomorrow morning/afternoon?

I'd count on it being sometime between 8 and 10am east coast time.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #23
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'd count on it being sometime between 8 and 10am east coast time.

7 am EST and not open yet.

I want to get some decent PT on it as I am going to the Bills/Seahawks game and I have to leave fairly early for it.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #24
Coder
College Prospect

I haven't preordered, and I'm currently not aiming to play.. I played the heck out of DAoC, and consider it to be the most enjoyable MMORPG I've ever played.. and that includes Anarchy Online, Everquest, EVE, WoW, Lotro and Conan.. those didn't even come close to being even mildly entertaining to me, but felt more like a chore.. EVE had the best premises and a solid base for a completely player run world/economy etc, but DAoC was just FUN..

I remember my first escapades as an elven archer in Thidranki on Nimue back, oh, a thousand years ago it seems, then as an Infiltrator on Percival, and then the final run as a Warden in a group back on Nimue..

I loved how Darkness Falls was a ground for both PVEers and PVPers alike, I loved both the old Frontier and the New Frontier, where the RVR actually affected the general gameplay for your realm, not just for you personally..

To me, DAOC died with Trials of Atlantis, when focus was shifted from the realm to the individual and which items you had.. the artifacts killed the game. I bought Catacombs but by then my "fun-factor" was dead, also the new graphics engine in Catacombs was dreadful.. I liked my zany pixelated characters more than the attempted realistic models.

I disliked WoW because of the focus on me me me, and the quest-driven system.. it was all about doing the same things as everyone else, and the end game was just boooring.. so you do all these boring PVE-things to get to level 60/70, and then what? MORE BORING PVE!?

LOTRO, I just couldn't get into.. disliked the graphics (not that it was poor, I just didn't like it), the interface, and the boring quests.. and Conan, well, by then I probably had lost my entire MMORPG-gene.. I just didn't have fun anymore..

As I started saying, I probably won't be playing WAR.. the last few years' MMORPGs have killed off my interest in the genre, and as much as I hope WAR might have been what I've been searching for all these years since I quit DAoC, I don't think I'll ever try it..

unless of course I hear all these great stories about how fantastic the game is from you guys

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #25
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
As I started saying, I probably won't be playing WAR.. the last few years' MMORPGs have killed off my interest in the genre, and as much as I hope WAR might have been what I've been searching for all these years since I quit DAoC, I don't think I'll ever try it..

unless of course I hear all these great stories about how fantastic the game is from you guys

Well if it makes you feel any better, Warhammer Online is produced by the same guys that brought you DAoC and the tie-ins to that game are quite numerous.

By the way, it's 10:01 a.m Eastern Standard and I've been patching for about a half-hour now, the servers are a GO
Old 09-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #26
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

From what you just posted, it seems you and I have the exact same opinions on MMORPG's. Which means...try Warhammer. Blow the 50 bucks when it comes out, play your free month, and give it a shot. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #27
sabotai
General Manager

Patching now, but it looks like it'll take awhile.

CW (and anyone else already playing), When playing WoW, my favorite classes were Mage, Hunter and Druid. What classes should I look into in WAR. I read throuigh some of the stuff on the website, and I'm thinking either High Elf Shadow Warrior or High Elf White Lion.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #28
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Patching now, but it looks like it'll take awhile.

CW (and anyone else already playing), When playing WoW, my favorite classes were Mage, Hunter and Druid. What classes should I look into in WAR. I read throuigh some of the stuff on the website, and I'm thinking either High Elf Shadow Warrior or High Elf White Lion.

I'd also give the Bright Wizard a look and maybe a warrior priest as well. The White Lion is a lot fun and unique in the sense that its a melee class with a pet. I really don't have any experience with the Shadow Warrior.

Mythic has done a really good job making the classes fun so I'd try as many as I could during open beta. I've been in beta for about 5 months and there's still about 5 classes I'm considering at launch.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #29
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I'm playing Order on the Todbringer server. Either as Londar - Ironbreaker or Veran - Witch Hunter. Look me up.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #30
sabotai
General Manager

I'm on Todbringer. My two characters are Migos - Shadow Hunter and Tamsey - Bright Wizard.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #31
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I have switched to the Helbrass server. Some old buddies have started up there and I was the easiest to switch. Same characters, Londar and Veran.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #32
sabotai
General Manager

Messing around with some of the "crafting" skills. So far, cultivating and Apothecary (Alchemy). Apothecary seems way too easy to level up (that might change later on). Cultivating takes a long time.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #33
sabotai
General Manager

So far, I am liking the game a lot. I love that you get access to a battleground from the very beginning, and that you get to the RvR stuff really early on as well.

The PVE stuff is boring. PVE never bothered me with WoW, EQ, etc. But I guess the formula has worn out with me. The Public Quests are great until you get to one that no one else is doing.

I really like the renown ("honor" for WoW vets) system.

I've played a lot of MMOs at launch, and this is far ahead of most of them and it's still in beta. WoW is still my favorite, but WAR is going to get a lot of play time as well.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 PM   #34
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I'm liking it a lot as well. I agree the PvE is boring, but as you level there is less and less of it. In Tier 4 the zones are 3/4 RvR and 1/4 PvE. So anyone that likes to grind and raid to get that snazzy looking purple helm better stick with WoW. This is WAR.

I'm done with beta. I've been through closed and open beta and have seen enough of the low end content. Collectors Edition headstart begins Sunday so I'm just going to chill until then and hit the ground running. Hoping I can get a character to 20 by Thursday when it is released. Depends on my free time I guess.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #35
Coder
College Prospect

I caved in and pre-ordered, thereby getting into the open beta.. I have a few impressions:

1) as opposed to Sab, I think the PVE is actually quite alright.. I hate PVE in all other games I've played because you're so forced into a certain quest-pattern.. in DAoC it was mostly grinding, but it gave you opportunites to do different things when levelling, not the same quests over and over..

2) I love the public quest system, not forcing soloers to group but still getting into bigger PVE-events.. haven't been past level 6 though, so I don't know about the participation rates at higher levels

3) low level battlegrounds is fun, but I hope RVR will be more DAoC like.. this is just WoW battlegrounds all over again which is ok for short stints, but I lack the accomplishment feel I got after keep-takes in DAoC..

4) Destruction seems to dominate in RVR.. I've mostly played order, but it feels like Destruction wins every BG and keep having control over territory

5) Is it dumbed down? Arrows/throwing knives are in infinite supply? Though it might have bothered some, I actually liked that part of all other MMORPGs.. supply should factor in your strategic choices..

6) in RVR, I absolutely LOVE how you can run behind an obstacle to take cover.. too many times in DAoC and WoW you were the target of heat seeking missiles going around corners to find you..

7) Is there really no armor crafting? or weapon crafting? is it all drops as far as that is concerned? I haven't found any info regarding this, but it's a real disappointment should this be the case.. I think one of the coolest parts of a MMORPG is a player run economy, but how can you have one if players can't create the equipment needed to play?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #36
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

FYI - If it's up at the onset of the head start, I'm hitting Avelorn as my server.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #37
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I caved in and pre-ordered, thereby getting into the open beta.. I have a few impressions:

1) as opposed to Sab, I think the PVE is actually quite alright.. I hate PVE in all other games I've played because you're so forced into a certain quest-pattern.. in DAoC it was mostly grinding, but it gave you opportunites to do different things when levelling, not the same quests over and over..

I think, overall, PvE is hit or miss. If you're one that actually reads the quests you're given then the you'll love the fact that there is an ongoing storyarc for each faction. Some of the instances are still a work in progress, but for a game that has a strong focus on PvP the PvE is pretty solid, IMO.

Quote:
2) I love the public quest system, not forcing soloers to group but still getting into bigger PVE-events.. haven't been past level 6 though, so I don't know about the participation rates at higher levels

After my first day of beta back in May I told the Dev I know that the public quest system will be the big thing that is taken from WAR. Every MMO from here on out will have some variation on them.

Quote:
3) low level battlegrounds is fun, but I hope RVR will be more DAoC like.. this is just WoW battlegrounds all over again which is ok for short stints, but I lack the accomplishment feel I got after keep-takes in DAoC.

Taking keeps starts in tier 2 (level 12), so you actually get involved with that aspect much faster than in DAOC.

Quote:
4) Destruction seems to dominate in RVR.. I've mostly played order, but it feels like Destruction wins every BG and keep having control over territory

It varies quite a bit. I've had days where I haven't won a single scenario and others where I always win.

Quote:
5) Is it dumbed down? Arrows/throwing knives are in infinite supply? Though it might have bothered some, I actually liked that part of all other MMORPGs.. supply should factor in your strategic choices..

Well, maybe in that aspect, but combat itself definitely isn't dumbed down. I went from using almost exclusively the same 3-4 abilities in WoW to have many, many more options in WAR.

Quote:
7) Is there really no armor crafting? or weapon crafting? is it all drops as far as that is concerned? I haven't found any info regarding this, but it's a real disappointment should this be the case.. I think one of the coolest parts of a MMORPG is a player run economy, but how can you have one if players can't create the equipment needed to play?

I believe (could be wrong) that they stated that crafting wasn't all that high on their priority list for launch, but its something they want to expand on at a later date. IIRC, they didn't want to put the resources into balancing several different professions at the same time.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #38
Coder
College Prospect

Thanks for all your comments Atocep.. about the dumbed down part.. I kind of noticed it in several things.. wear and tear of equipment/infinite supply of "missiles"/and of course the crafting..

Yes, I love the other parts which makes it more DAoC, but one of the main reasons I stated earlier that I think EVE has the best premises is because I want a player based economy/political world. DAoC at least had a crafting engine that, in the aspect of being part of the economy, was better than in WoW..

Yes, the implementation of "how to craft" wasn't great, but the items made were the best you could get pre-Trials of Atlantis.

I really hope they implement this sooner rather than later if that's their intent down the line. The crafting was a HUGE part of DAoC, with an entire fan-website dedicated to it.

So, gameplay gets high marks, but the extras that add to the longevity of a game are not as high..

Old 09-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #39
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Well my planned server Helbrass is not available today for the headstart.... doh. I don't see Avelorn either.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #40
Lonnie
High School Varsity

dola.

Joined Order on the Iron Rock server. Londar the Ironbreaker is running around on there now.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #41
sabotai
General Manager

Standard Edition head start begins on the 16th, so that's when I'll be in.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #42
sabotai
General Manager

Sabotai, a High Elf Shadow Warrior, is now kicking ass on the Avelorn server.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #43
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It wasn't one of the startup ones, so we went to Phoenix Throne.

I've currently got Aestus (Witch Hunter) and Allaris (Shadow Warrior).
Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #44
sabotai
General Manager

'k. I'm now on Phoenix Throne. (Sabotai - Shadow Warrior)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #45
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Been playing around with the game and so far, I've been pleasantly impressed, enough so that I haven't felt like playing WoW.

It's early days yet for me but the game just seems fun (as compared to AoC which I tried for a bit but just couldn't get into). I think part of it could be that it feels like WoW to some extent but it was great that you could jump into a RvR scenario from the start and that would help you level.

PQs are fun too but I can understand why some people might be upset about the way the rolling works (I jumped into one when it was halfway done and still managed to win a bag).

What will be interesting is how the end-game will be like. Hopefully there's something there of substance which will keep players going.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #46
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm playing the headstart and I LOVE it!!!

I was sort of into EQ2 for a bit, but this kills that.

Now if I could only get my wife to quit WoW and try it out, I would be a very happy man.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:29 AM   #47
Radii
Head Coach

I have an ironbreaker up to level 11, and am enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm Rhiow on Ulthuan server. I ran across a Daedalus(a shaman I think) in a pvp scenario tonight and was curious if it was FOFC's.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #48
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I have an ironbreaker up to level 11, and am enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm Rhiow on Ulthuan server. I ran across a Daedalus(a shaman I think) in a pvp scenario tonight and was curious if it was FOFC's.

I think I have some characters on that server, but they're Order. My "main" was the male Dwarf Runedude - Nancy. I can probably delete and go Bad guys. I like the Chaos selections.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #49
Coder
College Prospect

The FUN-FACTOR is incredibly high, but I am worried that when the initial fun-factor dies down and I start looking at variation, I will find the game too dumbed down.

I understand why they've removed things such as finite supply of ammo, no wear and tear of items etc, but I disagree with the choice. They want to cater to the casual gamer, but unfortunately it feels that they're doing so at the expense of the more dedicated gamers, when in fact the two types can always coexist.

I've read testimonials from people who were against crafting because it only benefitted the hard core gamers "who stays up crafting all night get uber gear", but that's not at all how I perceive crafters in MMORPGs.. I see many people who actually craft because they prioritize that instead of fighting, to provide their guilds/realm mates with equipment. These people aren't doing this to primarily get better gear themselves, they're doing it for others.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #50
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The lack of armor/weapon crafting definately suprised me. But, I wonder if the smaller crafting items (talismans, potions, etc) are being downlplayed a little. A good setup of taliismans on your armor, and as you increase level, almost everything you have will have talis slots, could be just the edge needed in fights.

The long term playability in this game lives and dies with the fun of RvR/PvP. It was hard to fully judge that in beta, so we'll see.