Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
Wonder Bear
n00b

FM 2007: Liverpool Football Club

Liverpool FC Premise

A little "out of character" brief prior to anything gets going.

Game will begin July 2nd, 2006, a little more than a month before the start of the 2006-2007 English Premiership season. American business tycoons Tom Hicks and George Gillett have taken control of Liverpool Football Club. Fans are a bit uneasy, as Americans move in on the world's sport. The influence of these two businessmen on one of the world's most storied football teams will be an interesting story to watch.

Wonder Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Wonder Bear
n00b

Liverpool takeover complete

George Gillett and Tom Hicks meet the media at Anfield.

Liverpool today reached an agreement to sell the club to the Americans George Gillett and Tom Hicks. Though Gillett and Hicks are new to football, they have prior experience in American sports. Hicks is the owner of baseball and hockey teams (Texas Rangers & Dallas Stars), while Gillett is owner of NHL team Montreal Canadiens.

Speaking at a press conference this afternoon, Gillett and Hicks attempted to establish their full support for those currently running the club. "We're going to be co-chairmen, equal partners in every sense of the word," Gillett said. "Both of our styles are to be successful in the sports industry by depending on the people running the business. And we have faith that the staff here is going to lead us places.

"We are looking forward to a mutually enjoyable relationship and bringing trophies from the Premiership and Europe. We believe in the future of the club, the future of the league, the new TV contracts are outstanding and we are proud to be a part of it. This is truly the largest sport in the world, the most important sport in the world, and this is the most important club in the most important sport in the world and what a privilege we have to be associated with it." said Gillett.

Meanwhile, Liverpool chairman David Moores has revealed that he will become the club's honorary life president. "I believe this is a great step forward for Liverpool, its shareholders and its fans," he said. "After much careful consideration, I have agreed to sell my shares to assist in securing the investment needed for the new stadium and for the playing squad. I urge all my fellow shareholders to do the same and to support the offer. By doing so, I believe you will be backing the successful future of Liverpool football club."

Media Q&A
Quote:
Q: What do you have to say to the fans worldwide of Liverpool?
A: We assure fans we know what you want - we want to win.

Q: With the takeover, there are assumptions that additional funds will be available to be spent on the squad. Any comment on this?
A: To be able to compete with the likes Manchester United or Chelsea, for example, money needs to be spent. We're willing to do what it takes to win.

Q: Would you ever consider selling the naming rights to Anfield?
A: We realize the history that's here in Liverpool. Are we going to actively look to change the name? No. But if we are presented with an offer that is worth great player a year in transfer spending, or whatever the case may be, we will certainly look at that as a serious option."

Q: There are some who do not welcome the American takeover. What is your reaction to those who oppose the increasing influence of big business in the Premiership?
A: We're not looking to disrupt the tradition of football in England. Our main concern is winning here in Liverpool.

Hicks: I'm not able to comment on the other clubs, but I know that our dedication to winning here will become apparent. A commitment to greatness can only do wonders for the sport.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Wonder Bear
n00b

Liverpool Manager Rafael Benítez Resigns!
Monday, 3rd July, 2006

Rafael Benítez could have returned to Anfield to try and lead Liverpool to their first EPL title in almost twenty years.

He could have come back to see his club through new ownership, through a new chapter in Liverpool history. He could have come back to finish what he started in 2004, when he took over the underachieving Reds.

Instead, just a day after the takeover deal which turned Liverpool over to Americans George Gillett and Tom Hicks, Benítez decided to turn in his resignation, ending a magnificent two year run in which he led Liverpool to both the UEFA Champions League title and the FA Cup title.

"Quite honestly, I just need to sort some things out in my life," Benítez remarked. "Essentially, I've had an epiphany. I believe I've found my true calling in life, and unfortunately football no longer fits in. I love the game, it's been my life for a number of years. But when you find your true calling, you must follow it."

Benitez released a statement late Monday morning confirming his decision to step down and expressing gratitude toward the organization.

"I want to thank David Moores and the entire board for their tremendous support over the past two years," the statement read. "Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Liverpool is a great city and the football here is an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here."

Now Gillett & Hicks will have to find someone to pick up where the Rafael Benítez left off. Neither was immediately available for comment.

The uncertainty now surrounding Liverpool could not have been anticipated by anyone. One has to wonder where the Yanks will look for their new manager. The most logical choice is that they stay within the club, and go with current assistant manager Pako Ayestaran. Ayestaran would offer a familiar face to the players and keep things essentially the same, as he has worked with Benítez for a number of years. The other name that has come up is the former manager of perennial underachievers known as the English national football team, Sven-Göran Eriksson. The oft-criticized Eriksson would present a big name and prove quite a splash if the acquisition was made. Another route the owners could take is looking back into the United States. This would be to the dismay of a number of fans regardless of the candidate, simply because of the perceived (and perhaps rightly so) lack of football knowledge in the United States.

Where Hicks & Gillett choose to go with the new managerial opening is anyone's guess.

Benítez's departure leaves Liverpool with a number of questions.

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 02-19-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Wonder Bear
n00b

Tuesday, 11 July, 2006

Liverpool end speculation, Bombay named manager

Gordon Bombay strikes a pose
while addressing the media.

Liverpool have appointed former youth hockey coach Gordon Bombay as manager. After little more than a week scouring the globe for the replacement of former manager Rafael Benítez, Liverpool have found their man. A virtual unknown in England, Bombay is a coaching legend in the United States.

A little history on Bombay from his official site,
Quote:
Bombay is most famously known for his role as head coach of the Mighty Ducks. Bombay was sentenced to coach the District 5 pee-wee hockey team, who later became the Ducks, after being charged with DWI. Bombay played pee-wee hockey as a child for the pee-wee Hawks, who had a reputation for being the best team in the league. After being tripped on a breakaway in the final seconds of the championship game, Bombay was given a penalty shot. Bombay missed by a quarter of an inch and hit the post and his team went on to lose in overtime. This seemed to be the end of Bombay's hockey career until he was forced into coaching the Ducks. From there, the Ducks went on to become a national power. In 1994, Bombay was offered the position of head coach of the youth United States hockey team. Bombay took the offer, and brought a majority of his team along. Team USA would eventually go on to upset heavily favored Iceland in the finals, bringing in the gold for the red white and blue. Bombay is hailed as one of the most resilient coaches in the business and is known to get the most out of his players. The man is also a tactical genius. He is credited with the invention of techniques such as the Triple Deek and the Flying V. He officially retired from coaching in 1996.

Impressive resume. If we're talking about hockey.

Why bring in a hockey coach to manage one of the premier football clubs in the world? Co-Chairmen George Gillett, who made the push for Bombay, says it makes sense. "Gordon gives us experience on the world stage. His ability to make something out of nothing with the Ducks is a testament to his coaching ability. Bringing in someone like Sven, for example, gives the club an intelligent football mind, but also brings in a culture of under achievement. Listen, Gordon may not have the level of knowledge that another candidate would have brought, but the raw coaching ability is unmatched."

"Since my retirement," said Bombay "I've been following a number of sports, including socc, err, football." "It's a beautiful game," Bombay noted. "There are a number of talented minds around me, and I have no doubt we'll reach the goals of the organization and fans."

When jokingly asked if the team would consider renaming themselves the Ducks, Bombay scoffed at the comment, but refused to rule out the possibility.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Wonder Bear
n00b

Friday, 28th July, 2006

Bombay unafraid to make changes, shakes up squad

Gordon Bombay tries to adapt to life
in England.

Barely two weeks have passed in the Gordon Bombay era at Anfield, and the new manager has already made a number of high profile deals. Whether it be bringing in help to aid the current squad, or shipping out disruptive personalities, Bombay has been confident through it all. Many fans believe that the shakeup is going to ruin the flow of the club, and cost them in their performance this season. While others welcome the change that Bombay has brought about in Liverpool. BBC will be presenting an exclusive three part series concerning departures from Anfield, club acquisitions, and deals that are rumored to be in the works. Stay tuned.

Club supporters don't know what to make of Bombay.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Wonder Bear
n00b

Wednesday, 26th July, 2006 -Liverpool Report Part One

Craig Bellamy out at Liverpool

Recently dealt Craig Bellamy talks
with the media as he cleans out his locker.

It didn't take newly acquired manager Gordon Bombay to meet opposition in his campaign to prove doubters wrong. Just days after hearing of the hire of Bombay by his club, striker Craig Bellamy lashed out.

In a meeting with members of the media after a team practice, Bellamy's lack of faith was on display. "We're a world class organization, and we should go after the very best," noted Bellamy. "I see this as a clear step back in every sense of the phrase."

Manager Gordon Bombay did not take kindly to the criticism. "We need everyone to be on board," Bombay said. "There's no room at the club for nonsense like this. I'll be discussing this with the player." Bombay refused to acknlowedge Bellamy by name.

The situation spun out of control two weeks later following a friendly against German club Bayer 04 Leverkusen. Bellamy was benched during the match for making a blatant tackle from behind, which resulted in injury to right defender Gonzalo Castro along with a yellow card. That night, a drunken Bellamy confronted Bombay at the team hotel.
Bellamy has been reported to have said a number of derogitory comments including taking aim at Bombay's nationality, his lack of managerial experience and telling Bombay to, among other things, "Piss off you bloody wanker!" Bombay reportedly remained professional during the confrontation.

Bellamy was immediately shopped, and garnered interest from clubs around the globe, including Aston Villa, Sevilla (Spain) and Roma (Italy).

News became official Wednesday, as Liverpool & Aston Villa agreed to a transfer fee of $5 million. Bellamy was rumored to be worth well over the agreed fee, and even double the sum. "When you have a player who goes out of their way to disrupt the team like that," added Bombay, "you need to deal with it appropriately."

Bellamy's character issues aside, he is a very capable player. He possesses world class speed, which defenses need to game plan for. Bellamy's finishing, along with a number of other technical skills could use some work. Craig Bellamy is skillful player and Liverpool will miss his abilities. The departure of Bellamy leaves Liverpool thin at striker, with the projected starters being Englishmen Peter Crouch and Dutch star Dirk Kuyt.

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 02-19-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Bear View Post

Tuesday, 11 July, 2006

Liverpool have appointed former youth hockey coach Gordon Bombay as manager. After little more than a week scouring the globe for the replacement of former manager Rafael Benítez, Liverpool have found their man. A virtual unknown in England, Bombay is a coaching legend in the United States.

A little history on Bombay from his official site,

Impressive resume. If we're talking about hockey.

Why bring in a hockey coach to manage one of the premier football clubs in the world? Co-Chairmen George Gillett, who made the push for Bombay, says it makes sense. "Gordon gives us experience on the world stage. His ability to make something out of nothing with the Ducks is a testament to his coaching ability. Bringing in someone like Sven, for example, gives the club an intelligent football mind, but also brings in a culture of under achievement. Listen, Gordon may not have the level of knowledge that another candidate would have brought, but the raw coaching ability is unmatched."

"Since my retirement," said Bombay "I've been following a number of sports, including socc, err, football." "It's a beautiful game," Bombay noted. "There are a number of talented minds around me, and I have no doubt we'll reach the goals of the organization and fans."

When jokingly asked if the team would consider renaming themselves the Ducks, Bombay scoffed at the comment, but refused to rule out the possibility.

Good start!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Wonder Bear
n00b

Saturday, 29th July, 2006 -Liverpool Report Part Two

Bombay, Liverpool active in transfer market

The abrupt departure of Craig Bellamy from the squad left almost everyone in Liverpool in a state of shock. The ugly confrontation between Bombay and Bellamy has dominated the tabloids, this may cast a negative light on Bombay's tenure as manager, but don't let it. There have been as many, if not more positives resulting from the hire of the one time world champion. Bombay, who has almost unmatched charisma, has managed to bring in some very talented individuals to bolster the club's run toward the top of the Premiership. Here are some of the press releases over the past weeks regarding noteworthy transfers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, 19th July, 2006

Reds acquire Adu

Future of American football
inks deal with Liverpool.

American midfielder Freddy Adu has completed his transfer to Liverpool after being granted a work permit. The deal, worth upwards of $5 million, was confirmed by Adu's former club, Real Salt Lake.

After acquiring the rights to negotiate with Adu, Liverpool signed the midfielder to a contract believed to be worth around $4 million over three years.

Adu, 17, could hardly keep from showing his joy. Seated alongside his new manager Gordon Bombay at the post-transfer press conference, the newest member of Liverpool FC told journalists that he hoped to get his chance at Anfield as soon as possible and make himself a firm favorite with the club's fans. Adu went as far to say that the move from Salt Lake was the "best moment of his life".

The American phenom is Bombay's first signing heading up Liverpool.

"You know, it made sense for me to look back to America to help the club. I've worked with the youth there for a number years and I know the character of the kids over there is splendid," voiced Bombay. "But the point isn't that Freddy's American. Freddy has got enormous potential and I think he will fulfill that. He is a really talented player. I have heard great things about him from our scouts and I am confident Freddy will become a great player.

"My own view is he will prove terrific value. He is only a young kid and I have no doubt at all he is good enough.

"You think along the lines of 'Will somebody be of value over the next few years' and you base your decision on that. I believe Freddy is capable of almost anything here at Anfield."

Adu comes to Liverpool with a ton of hype surrounding him, and many European fans don't believe that he's all he's built up to be. "I don't think there's a question that Adu is a solid young player," remarks one supporter on a fan message board, "but as for living up to the hype he's received? Doubtful."

It's not as if Adu will be under an unfair amount of pressure to start his career at Liverpool. "Freddy and I have discussed this, and he'll be starting with the Under-18's," added Bombay.

Adu will be given every chance to succeed at Anfield.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, 21st July, 2006

World class defender moves to Liverpool

Metzelder is regarded as
the top defender in Germany.

Gordon Bombay has struck again. And this time the move is widely popular.

In a surprise move, the Liverpool manager has acquired German defender Christoph Metzelder from Dortmund.

"Christoph is an amazing player. Everything you look for in a defender, Christoph possesses. I couldn't be happier with his decision to come here."

After agreeing on a transfer fee with Dortmund, which is reported to be close to $15 million, the Reds wasted no time in extending him a contract offer. Liverpool signed Metzelder to a 5 year deal worth $32.5 million. "And he is worth every penny," Bombay made sure to add.

"It's surreal. It's truly an honor to be here, to be part of this club, with the tradition and everything that comes with it, it's brilliant."

Metzelder strengthens an already staunch defense, headed by Jamie Carragher. "Everyone here knows what kind of player he is. It's an ideal situation if he were to become a part of this club," answered Carragher when asked earlier in the week about talks between the club and Metzelder.

"I'd hate to be the team has to get past our defense," Bombay almost smugly remarked.

Bombay has clearly devoted himself to proving the critics wrong, and he's off to a good start. The acquisition of these two, more so Metzelder, will benefit Liverpool. Bombay has stated that he is not done, however, and that he is actively looking to upgrade the club at whatever positions possible. For a look into potential players arriving in Anfield, along with those who might be saying their goodbyes soon, look for the third and final edition of exclusive BBC Sport coverage on the dealings of Gordon Bombay.

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 03-04-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
Wonder Bear
n00b

Sunday, 30th July, 2006 -Liverpool Report Part Three

Liverpool Rumor Central

Could celebrated Italian striker
Luca Toni be next on Bombay's list?

Gordon Bombay has had no fear to pull the trigger on some big deals during the first half of the transfer period. Below we'll be evaluating players (nation, position, name, age, club) who have been rumored to be linked to Liverpool:

Italian striker, Luca Toni, 29 years old, Fiorentina
The departure of Craig Bellamy left quite the hole to fill for Liverpool. Who better to improve things than Fiorentina striker Luca Toni? Is it wishful thinking of us to expect Bombay to go after Toni? Absolutely. Fiorentina are certain to command an astronomical fee in order to acquire his services, funds the team doesn't have as of now. In order to open up room for Toni, Bombay could ship out some other players, and also request an increase in transfer funds. If Bombay were to complete a deal sending Luca Toni to Liverpool it would change the dynamic of the entire Premiership.
Portuguese attacking midfielder, Luis Figo, 33 years old, Inter Milan
Figo is a big name that is past his prime, but he can undoubtedly still play. A midfield with captain Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso & Figo would cause major problems for a number of clubs.
Czech striker, Jan Koller, 33 years old, Monaco
Koller is another older player who Liverpool are rumored to be interested in. Though Koller does not possess speed he used to, he is still physically able to play. At 6'8", Koller is an intimidating force and a true professional. Regardless of age, Koller is an upgrade over Peter Crouch.

Honduran attacking midfielder/striker, Suazo, 26 years old, Cagliari
Suazo is an explosive player with loads of potential. He is one of the fastest players in the world and has a nose for the goal. Suazo would easily make fans forget about Craig Bellamy, as he's just plain better.

Turkish center forward, Nihat, 26 years old, Villarreal
Nihat is a player like Suazo. Has great pace and is a strong finisher. The main difference between the two is Nihat's lack of composure. His tendency to crack under pressure hinders certain parts of his game, thus lessening his value as a player. Nihat would still be of great help to Liverpool.

Bombay has certainly been a breath of fresh air for Liverpool, to say the least. Every one of these players would aid Liverpool in their quest for European greatness. On the other side of the coin there are potential departures. Liverpool have reportedly been looking to ship midfielders Harry Kewell & Luis Garcia out of town. If Liverpool does indeed move these two, it would seem almost a certainty that they're perusing Luca Toni. But is Toni worth spreading the Reds thin at midfield? We'll wait and see.

In addition to the players Liverpool is actively shopping, major clubs have contacted Liverpool regarding two key players. Versatile starting left defender John Arne Riise is being pursued by clubs such as Bayern Munich and AC Milan. AC Milan is also actively pursuing midfielder Xabi Alonso. It is unlikely that Liverpool would be willing to sell either player, because of their importance to the club. One can never tell as the dollar becomes ever important in today's game.

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 02-19-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
rlmayer32
n00b

Great read!
rlmayer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Wednesday, 26th July, 2006 -Liverpool Report Part One

Craig Bellamy out at Liverpool

Recently dealt Craig Bellamy talks
with the media as he cleans out his locker.

It didn't take newly acquired manager Gordon Bombay to meet opposition in his campaign to prove doubters wrong. Just days after hearing of the hire of Bombay by his club, striker Craig Bellamy lashed out.

In a meeting with members of the media after a team practice, Bellamy's lack of faith was on display. "We're a world class organization, and we should go after the very best," noted Bellamy. "I see this as a clear step back in every sense of the phrase."

Manager Gordon Bombay did not take kindly to the criticism. "We need everyone to be on board," Bombay said. "There's no room at the club for nonsense like this. I'll be discussing this with the player." Bombay refused to acknlowedge Bellamy by name.

The situation spun out of control two weeks later following a friendly against German club Bayer 04 Leverkusen. Bellamy was benched during the match for making a blatant tackle from behind, which resulted in injury to right defender Gonzalo Castro along with a yellow card. That night, a drunken Bellamy confronted Bombay at the team hotel.
Bellamy has been reported to have said a number of derogitory comments including taking aim at Bombay's nationality, his lack of managerial experience and telling Bombay to, among other things, "Piss off you bloody wanker!" Bombay reportedly remained professional during the confrontation.

Bellamy was immediately shopped, and garnered interest from clubs around the globe, including Aston Villa, Sevilla (Spain) and Roma (Italy).

News became official Wednesday, as Liverpool & Aston Villa agreed to a transfer fee of $5 million. Bellamy was rumored to be worth well over the agreed fee, and even double the sum. "When you have a player who goes out of their way to disrupt the team like that," added Bombay, "you need to deal with it appropriately."

Bellamy's character issues aside, he is a very capable player. He possesses world class speed, which defenses need to game plan for. Bellamy's finishing, along with a number of other technical skills could use some work. Craig Bellamy is skillful player and Liverpool will miss his abilities. The departure of Bellamy leaves Liverpool thin at striker, with the projected starters being Englishmen Peter Crouch and Dutch star Dirk Kuyt.

No mention of golf clubs? Bellamy's getting soft.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
Wonder Bear
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
No mention of golf clubs? Bellamy's getting soft.
Too true, couldn't believe the story when I read it. But coming from Bellamy, I guess anything's possible.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Really enjoying this and hopefully you are as well.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Wonder Bear
n00b

Friday, 4th August, 2006

Liverpool set for Champions League Match

Bombay is confident his boys will be ready to play.

New Liverpool skipper Gordon Bombay faces his first real challenge when his club meets Turkish team Fenerbahçe S.K. in the Champions League Third Qualifying Phase. Liverpool will travel to a hostile environment in Istanbul for the first leg of the competition. The two will meet on the 9th of August.

"It's going to be a battle," said Bombay. "Both are talented squads, so it should be a hard fought game." "You can't let nerves get to you in these kind of situations," said Bombay when asked to comment on it being his first meaningful match at Liverpool. "The organization wants to see results, the fans want to see results, and I want to see results." "There isn't a doubt in my mind we'll come out ready to play."

Bombay also named his starting eleven for the game. Player ratings (Which rate each player's performance 1 through 10, 10 being the highest, indicating a simply outstanding display. The average is close to 6.) based on the results of six friendlies Liverpool has participated in over the summer. Liverpool finished with a record of 5-1-0, tying their game against Leverkusen.

Bombay's Starting Eleven:

GK Jose Manuel Reina (6.83)
DR Daniel Agger (7.5)
DL John Arne Riise (7.33)
DC Christoph Metzelder (7)
DC Jamie Carragher (7)
MC Mohammed Sissoko (7.33)
MC Xabi Alonso (7.5)
MC Mark Gonzalez (7.17)
AMC Steven Gerrard* (7.5)
FC Peter Crouch (6.75)
FC Dirk Kuyt (7.33)

* Indicates captain

The 2004 Champions League title holders look to improve on a disappointing loss to Benefica in the round of 16 during the 2005 Champions League. Bombay will be able to weather some of the criticism he has faced thus far if he is able to open up with a convincing victory.

Match Odds: Fenerbahçe 7-4, Draw 11-5, Liverpool 5-4 (Favorites)

Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #14
SFL Cat
College Starter

Football? I don't see no effin' football. A football isn't round.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #15
Wonder Bear
n00b

Wednesday, 9th August, 2006
Fenerbahçe vs. Liverpool

vs.

Gordon Bombay's first game in charger of Liverpool and it's against scrappy Turkish club Fenerbahçe. Bombay's newest signing, Christoph Metzelder, will be starting in today's game. Bombay and Liverpool will need to be in top form to earn a victory.

25th Minute - Twenty-five minutes into the game, and both teams have settled. Liverpool have been applying pressure the entire match, and are now presented with a corner kick. Xabi Alonso takes the corner, Fenerbahçe defender wins the ball, but is unable to control it. Kuyt collects the ball around the 12 and fires a shot...GOAL! 1-0 Liverpool. Kuyt gives his manager the first lead of his career. Terrific individual effort by Dirk Kuyt on the play.

45th Minute - Liverpool have kept up the pressure on Fenerbahçe for the majority of the first half, but Fenerbahçe is making an offensive surge. Fenerbahçe midfielder Sanli Tuncay pushes the ball down the wing... and runs into Metzelder. Metzelder gathers up the loose ball and plays it ahead to striker Dirk Kuyt on the right wing. Kuyt makes a man miss, cross the ball in for Peter Crouch...GOAL! 2-0 Liverpool. It all started with Metzelder's tackle. Great assist by Kuyt, magnificent finish by Crouch. Liverpool are on a mission.

Half Time - Liverpool's goal in the 45th minute looks to have broken the spirit of Fenerbahçe. They were hanging with Liverpool, but the goal just before half most certainly has taken a toll. Bombay's club is looking impressive.

Second Half - The final whistle blows. No goals were scored. Liverpool dominates position and winds down the clock.

Match Summary - As expected, Liverpool come away the victors, 2-0. A solid show on both sides of the ball, and the manager should be given credit. Dirk Kuyt finishes with a goal and an assist, and midfielder Mohamed Sissoko comes away as the Man of the Match. Gordon Bombay wins his first game in charge of Liverpool. A dominant display by the Reds, Bombay most certainly had them ready to play.

25' Dirk Kuyt, Liverpool
45' Peter Crouch, Liverpool
Moahmed Sissoko, Liverpool

Sissoko's brilliant play helped take the pressure off Bombay.

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 02-21-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
Wonder Bear
n00b

Thursday, 10th August, 2006

Bombay happy to get first win, has eye on Chelsea

Dirk Kuyt had a goal and assist in the win.

Strikers Dirk Kuyt and Peter Crouch scored, as Liverpool defeated their Champions League opponent Fenerbahçe at Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium on Wednesday night, 2-0.

Gordon Bombay picked up his first win as a football manager in his first game.

“Obviously, it’s great to get the first win. The team needs something to build on and we need something to build the confidence of our team,” said Bombay. “I thought that was terrific, the way we came out to play. It really gives us something to build on and move forward.”

Liverpool took control of the game early and never looked back. Dirk Kuyt opened the Bombay campaign with a bang, scoring in the 25th minute on an exceptional individual effort on his part. Twenty minutes later, Peter Crouch added to Liverpool's lead when he slammed home a header in the 45th minute. Liverpool held onto the lead for the rest of the match. The Reds controlled the ball for 60% of the time and out shot their opponents 12 to 5.

“I think after what went on, with all the distractions we've had, everyone was looking forward to getting this thing going in the right direction,” said Bombay. “I felt the energy in the room was great and at the same time, a little bit nervous. We didn’t know what quite to expect but we worked our way through it and have something to build on, but let's not blow this thing out of proportion. There are plenty of games left to be played this season, and next up is Community Shield & Chelsea," noted Bombay. "I know my players are really excited for this match, and so am I." Note: The Community Shield is an annual match between the prior year's champions of the FA Cup (Liverpool) and English Premier League (Chelsea).

Chelsea & Liverpool will meet Sunday August 13th at The Millennium Stadium (second largest sporting venue in the United Kingdom) in Wales. Chelsea are favored to take the match.

The Millennium Stadium will play host to Liverpool's clash with Chelsea.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
Wonder Bear
n00b

Sunday, 13th August, 2006

Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool: Chelsea shut down, shut out

John Arne Riise and Peter Crouch celebrate Liverpool's
win over Chelsea.

Dirk Kuyt played hero for the second straight game as Liverpool fought to claim an impressive victory over Chelsea at the Millennium Stadium. Kuyt recorded two scores in the first half to give the Reds an early lead. The win brings the Community Shield to Liverpool for the 2006/2007 season.

Chelsea, who came into the game as favorites, made a confident start, and they should possibly have taken the lead after creating a number of chances in the opening minutes.

However, Drogba, who had broken free of the defense, could not find the back of the net when Jose Reina made a spectacular diving effort to turn away the shot.

Two minutes later, newly acquired striker Andriy Shevchenko, formerly of AC Milan, took a splendid shot from 25 yards out. Shevchenko's try skimmed the outside of the post, as the shot seemed destined for the back of the net.

In the 27th minute, Chelsea was given yet another golden opportunity. Midfielder Frank Lampard was awarded a free kick after colliding with Xabi Alonso. Lampard struck the ball from 22 yards out. Lampard hit a curling ball that ended up being just wide, landing in the side netting.

It was not till the 34th minute that Liverpool was able to surmount a serious attack. Peter Crouch controlled a pass from Steven Gerrard at the top of the 18. Crouch laid the ball off nicely to a streaking Dirk Kuyt, who hit a screamer from 15 yards out to put Liverpool ahead 1-0.

Only a moment later, Dirk Kuyt intercepted a lazy pass by defender Ricardo Carvalho, he gathered the ball at the Chelsea 18. Kuyt had only the keeper to beat as he placed the ball into the left side of the net. Kuyt's goal lifted his side to a 2-0 lead.

Ten minutes later, just before half, Kuyt looked poised to add a third goal to his total. Riise had played a beautiful through ball for Kuyt to run onto, as he slipped behind the defenders. Kuyt looked poised to score as Ricardo Carvalho slide tackled him from behind. Carvalho was sent off with a red! Carvalho looked steamed as a result of Kuyt dominating him on the earlier goal. Liverpool were awarded a penalty kick, and looked poised to go up by three. Xabi Alonso took the penalty kick and was denied by Petr Cech. The miss had more to do with a poor penalty than a quality save.

Liverpool entered half as leaders, and Bombay made sure the lead would stay safe. In the second half, Liverpool entered a defensive shell, dropping players further back and playing more of a possession game. Chelsea were unable to mount a serious attack for the rest of the match.

13th of August 2006
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales
The Football Association Community Shield

----------------------------------------------------

45' Ricardo Carvalho - 34' Dirk Kuyt, 35' Dirk Kuyt

Match Ratings:
GK Jose Manuel Reina - 8
DR Daniel Agger - 8
DL John Arne Riise (Sub 71') - 7, Alvaro Arbeloa (On 71') - 6
DC Christoph Metzelder - 8
DC Jamie Carragher - 7
MC Mohammed Sissoko - 7
MC Xabi Alonso - 7
MC Mark Gonzalez - 8
AMC Steven Gerrard (c) - 7
FC Peter Crouch (Sub 45') - 7, Robbie Fowler (On 45') - 6
FC Dirk Kuyt - 9, Man of the Match

Liverpool bring home the Community Shield for the first time since 2001-2002.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #18
Wonder Bear
n00b

Personal Thought

Just a little commentary outside of the game. I'd first like to say that I've been pleasantly surprised by the play of Kuyt and Crouch in these first two games. Striker is, to me, the biggest Liverpool need on the list. But if these two keep generating offense like this, I might be able to save some money and settle for a lesser striker.

Regarding the upcoming season, I hope to be able to take down either the EPL or the Champions League, but they may be unrealistic goals. While I have a strong team, it'll be tough to compete with the elite on a consistent basis.

Feel free to post any suggestions to improve this dynasty/the Liverpool squad. I'd love to hear some feedback.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #19
Wonder Bear
n00b

Arsenal transfer rocks Premiership

The acquisition of Franck Ribéry strengthens
Arsenal's bid for EPL supremacy.

In a move that looks to shift the balance of power in the FA Premiership, Arsenal have acquired right winger Franck Ribéry from Marseille for an estimated transfer fee of $37 million.

The acquisition of Ribéry was a long expected move, as Arsenal were rumored to be after the 23 year old for over a month. "It is not often that a player of Franck's ability is available," said Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger. "To be able to bring him to the club is one of the best moves I've ever made. I feel confident saying that."

Ribéry is one of the most determined players in the world. His explosive step and dribbling ability down the right wing will cause major trouble for any club.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #20
Wonder Bear
n00b

Saturday, 18th August, 2006

Bombay, staff gear up for first EPL match

Ast. Manager Pako Ayesteran &
Manager Gordon Bombay have
been hard at work game planning for Fulham.

In less than twenty-four hours, Liverpool manager Gordon Bombay will make his debut in the Premiership vs. Fulham. Fulham is a hard working, gritty team who is perhaps most well known for their acquisition of a number of popular American players. Americans set to start tomorrow for Fulham are striker Brian McBride, midfielder Clint Dempsey and left defender Carlos Bocanegra.

According to assistant manager Ayesteran, here is the projected starting eleven:

The approach offered by Ayesteran and the one we have seen offered by Bombay posses a number of differences. Here are Bombay's announced starting eleven for the match:

GK Jose Manuel Reina
DR Daniel Agger
DL John Arne Riise
DC Christoph Metzelder
DC Jamie Carragher
MC Mohammed Sissoko
MC Xabi Alonso
MC Mark Gonzalez
AMC Steven Gerrard*
FC Peter Crouch
FC Dirk Kuyt

Bombay's eleven have remained constant, and he doesn't see a problem with that. "It's important that your players gel," noted Bombay. "I can remember my time with the Ducks, back at the beginning of the World Championships, we had no cohesion." "Sure, the talent was there," remembers Bombay, "but the chemistry wasn't there. It's all about building an ideology, and then executing it." Another thing reminds Bombay of his team that won the World Championships, his captain, Steven Gerrard. "Steve reminds me a lot of Charlie," Bombay said. "Charlie Conway. For those who haven't heard of him. Great player, loved to win," said Bombay, "but most of all, Charlie was a great team guy. And I see some of that in Steve."

Liverpool will enter Sunday's match the heavy favorites.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
bertogarce
Mascot

I find this to be an incredibly entertaining dynasty and I find myself checking the site everyday hoping for another installment. Thanks for your work!
bertogarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #22
Wonder Bear
n00b

Saturday, 19th August, 2006

Scores:
Arsenal 6-1 Watford
Charlton 1-3 Reading
Chelsea 2-0 Portsmouth
Man Utd 10-0 Middlesbrough (Wow!)
Newcastle 4-1 Everton
Wigan 2-0 Sheff Utd

Gerrard plays hero, Liverpool escape with win

Former MLS player Clint Dempsey's
EPL debut didn't end the way
either he or Fulham wanted it to.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard bailed his club out of a lackluster performance, scoring a dramatic 78th minute goal. The goal also gave manager Gordon Bombay his first victory ever in the Premiership, as Bombay hopes this season is full of firsts.

"There are a lot of things that we're looking to accomplish this season, and to be able to come out and not necessarily play our best and still be able to win says something about the character of this squad," said the manager at the post game press conference.

Liverpool came out flat, and Fulham were in their faces from the get go.

Fulham midfielder Jimmy Bullard made a beauty of a cross that left Clint Dempsey one on one with the keeper from ten yards out. Dempsey had more power than placement on the shot, as Reina was able to block it, but not secure it. The ball came bouncing back to Dempsey, as he fired another shot. Reina denied Dempsey once more, turning the ball over the crossbar.

"That one's entirely on me," said a dejected Dempsey. "I was brought in to capitalize on opportunities like that, and unfortunately I was unable to do so."

In the 21st minute, Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt, who has been on fire as of late, looked destined for the score sheet. Kuyt was on the receiving end of a gorgeous through ball by a penetrating Mark Gonzalez. The striker settled the ball, but was unable to get off a clean shot, as the defense collapsed quickly on him. The ball narrowly trickled past the post.

A lackadaisical Liverpool team would not generate another plausible scoring opportunity until late in the second half.

In the 75th minute, with both squads deadlocked at a 0-0 tie, Liverpool began to mount an attack. Working the ball down both sides of the field, playing a possession game with the Fulham defense. Liverpool was able to retain possession of the ball, but nothing material had amounted. Until team captain Steven Gerrard took matters into his own hands, that is.

Gerrard ran onto a back pass from Peter Crouch, and struck the ball from 30 yards out. Gerrard struck the ball with such force that any keeper would've been hard pressed to stop it. The ball ricocheted off the bottom of the crossbar as the powerful blast sped past Antti Niemi.

The goal by Gerrard was enough to get Liverpool the 1-0 win on the day, securing three points.

19th of August 2006
Anfield Stadium, Liverpool
English Premier League 2006/2007 - Game 1

78' Steven Gerrard - 90' Stephen McManus

Match Ratings:
GK Jose Manuel Reina - 7
DR Daniel Agger - 7
DL John Arne Riise - 7
DC Christoph Metzelder (Sub 45') - 6, Sami Hyypia (On 45') - 7
DC Jamie Carragher - 7
MC Mohammed Sissoko - 7
MC Xabi Alonso - 7
MC Mark Gonzalez (Sub 57') - 7, Harry Kewell (On 57') - 7
AMC Steven Gerrard (c) - 8, Man of the Match
FC Peter Crouch - 7
FC Dirk Kuyt (Sub 72') - 6, Luis Garcia (On 72') - 7

Additional News:
Recent signing Freddy Adu shined in a season opening 6-0 thrashing of Chesterfield U18s. Adu had four goals on the game and earned a match rating of 10 for the Liverpool Under 18's. "I'm going to keep working hard and helping the team in whatever way I can," Adu said after the game. Helping the team indeed.

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 02-22-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #23
Wonder Bear
n00b

Wednesday, 23rd August, 2006

Gerrard, Liverpool eliminate Fenerbahçe

Steven Gerrard and John Arne Riise line up prior to
their Champions League game vs. Fenerbahçe.

In a game that was seemingly over before it started, Liverpool's dominance was on display. The Reds blanked their opponent 3-0, behind a vintage performance by captain Steven Gerrard. With the win, Liverpool are through to the Champions League Group Stage after a 5-0 aggregate (2-0 W, August 13th) victory. The club has been awarded $5.75M for their accomplishment.

"Everything was flowing tonight," said Gerrard, who scored all three Liverpool goals--in the first half. "I felt great, the team felt great and we gave the supporters something to cheer about."

The fans were given reason to cheer early and often at Anfield, as Gerrard capitalized on a perfectly placed pass by Xabi Alonso to go up 1-0 in the 19th minute.

Under a minute later, Gerrard struck again.

Alonso hooked up with Gerrard once more, this time intercepting a poorly timed pass by the Fenerbahçe defense on the top of the 18. Gerrard tucked the ball away in the left corner, to make the score 2-0.

If the game was still in doubt, Gerrard made sure to put it to end it before half.

In the 44th minute, Dirk Kuyt found himself double teamed near the right corner of the Fenerbahçe defense. Kuyt, in desperation, played the ball toward the center of the field. A hungry Gerrard was able to pounce on the loose ball from about 30 yards out. That was when Gerrard let loose one of his patented long range strikes. "Steve posses an exceptionally strong right foot," said Bombay. "We encourage him to take shots from a range."

The encouragement paid off, as Gerrard scored his third and final goal of the match, earning him a hat trick on the night.

Bombay, once known as the Magic Man with the Ducks, seems to think the name would be better suited for his captain. "It's amazing, the things that he can do on the football field. I can't think of a better player in the world to be honest."

The game was over at half, as Liverpool gave a number of players a rest in the second half, playing more of a defensive game. That has been the story of the Reds this year, gain an early lead, then sit on it.

"I can't say I see a problem with that strategy," noted Bombay. "We've yet to let up a score in our first four competitive matches, so I think that says it all right there." Bombay's theory will be tested as Liverpool next face high powered Arsenal on August 27th.

23rd of August 2006
Champions League 2006/2007 - Qualifying Rd. 3, 2nd Leg

19' Steven Gerrard, 21' Steven Gerrard, 45' Steven Gerrard

Match Ratings:
GK Jose Manuel Reina - 8
DR Daniel Agger - 7
DL John Arne Riise - 7
DC Christoph Metzelder - 7
DC Jamie Carragher - 8
MC Mohammed Sissoko - 7
MC Xabi Alonso - 7
MC Mark Gonzalez (Sub 45') - 7, Harry Kewell (On 45') - 7
AMC Steven Gerrard (c) - 10, Man of the Match
FC Peter Crouch (Sub 45') - 7, Luis Garcia (On 45') - 7
FC Dirk Kuyt - 7

Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #24
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Just a little commentary outside of the game. I'd first like to say that I've been pleasantly surprised by the play of Kuyt and Crouch in these first two games. Striker is, to me, the biggest Liverpool need on the list. But if these two keep generating offense like this, I might be able to save some money and settle for a lesser striker.

Regarding the upcoming season, I hope to be able to take down either the EPL or the Champions League, but they may be unrealistic goals. While I have a strong team, it'll be tough to compete with the elite on a consistent basis.

Feel free to post any suggestions to improve this dynasty/the Liverpool squad. I'd love to hear some feedback.

Thanks!

The EPL can be won in the first season without any major signings. However I had Bellamy score 32 in all comps when I did it, so you still might need to aquire a fast striker. Of course, more playing time for Robbie is always great.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #25
BYU 14
Coordinator

Very well done Wonder Bear.......Has become a quick favorite of mine.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
condors
College Starter

quality read, KUTGW!
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #27
Wonder Bear
n00b

Thursday, 24th August, 2006

Teams learn fate in Champions League Group Stage draw

The men in suits have drawn the Champions League groups. Each club waited in anticipation to see their fate. Here are the results...

Each team will play every other team in the group twice (home and away). The group stage is played between mid-September and early December. The teams finishing third in their groups are transferred to the UEFA Cup, while the top two teams from every group qualify for the Champions League Knockout Stage (round of 16).

Aside from getting closer to their Champions League title dreams, clubs are also rewarded handsomely in the finance department. For each draw in this stage, clubs will receive $393,000 and for each win, $786,000.

Matches will begin September 12th.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #28
Wonder Bear
n00b

Saturday, 26th August, 2006

Arsenal, Liverpool set for battle

Arsenal captain Thierry Henry and
company will look to disrupt the
balance of the Liverpool defense on Sunday.

In a game that will certainly mean more than it should, two of the largest clubs in the Premiership will face off Sunday at Emirates Stadium. The match is the most eagerly anticipated of the young season. One, a tough nosed, grind it out Liverpool team who make a commitment to limiting opposing looks at the goal (no goals allowed). The other, a young, quick, offensive-minded team who likes to play possession with a knack for scoring goals (averaging 3.7 goals in their first three competitive matches).

"We'll do everything we can to limit their offensive chances," mentioned Liverpool manager Bombay during a meeting with members of the media. "Both Thierry Henry and Emmanuel Adebayor are top flight players, but we'll be ready for them.

"Arsenal are an extremely talented club, there's no doubting that, but I'd like to think we have a little talent of our own," said Bombay with a smirk. One of Liverpool's most talented has been vital to the team's early success, captain Steven Gerrard.

Gerrard has a total of four goals over the past two games, including a hat trick performance which eliminated Turkish club Fenerbahçe from the Champions League. "It doesn't matter who scores the goals so long as we win," said the midfielder. "Wins are the most important thing, and however that is accomplished is fine by me." "He's [Gerrard] been great for us," Bombay said of Gerrard, "You expect those kind of performances out of a player of his caliber."

"We're looking to deny the ball in every circumstance," Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stressed. "If we're able to do that, we'll take the game."

The hype surrounding Sunday's competition seems a little too much for so early in the year, but Bombay doesn't mind. "Whenever two clubs as rich in tradition as these two meet, there's always going to be hype." As the managers make nice in front of the media, carefully watching what they say as to not give the other bulletin board material, each side's supporters know that there will be no love lost between the two on Sunday.

Arsenal enter the match as favorites to hand Liverpool their first loss of the season as each team has yet to be on the losing end this year.

Notes:
-Arsenal newcomer Franck Ribéry has been ruled out of the match as a result of a sprained ankle.

State of the art Emirates Stadium will play host to Sunday's meeting.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #29
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Liverpool have appointed former youth hockey coach Gordon Bombay as manager.

ROTFLMAO!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #30
Wonder Bear
n00b

Sunday, 27th August, 2006
Arsenal vs. Liverpool

vs.

Introduction, Welcome to Emirates Stadium where two of the top teams in the world have something to prove as Liverpool will take on Arsenal. It's Bombay's first away game in the EPL, and both he and his boys hope they can get him that first win. The absence of Franck Ribery should help Liverpool in their quest for the win, as he is one of the better players in the world. Ribery's replacement, Aliaksandr Hleb, is a solid replacement, however. Hleb does not posses the same 'out of this world' speed and energy of Ribery, but he is a wizard with the ball and should do the job nicely. We're ready for kickoff as the captains lead each side out of their dressing rooms.

5th minute, A quick start the game by Liverpool as Gerrard is running past Arsenal defenders. Gerrard sidesteps Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos, and glides a perfect through ball to Dirk Kuyt! Kuyt is all alone on goal...knocked away by defender Kolo Touré! Touré made an exceptional tackle to jar the ball loose from Kuyt. The ball is being knocked around as chaos erupts in the Arsenal box. The bouncing ball squirts loose an umarked Mohamed Sissoko. Sissoko volleys...that's in the back of the net! Sissoko hammered it home. Sissoko scores his first ever goal for Liverpool. 1 - 0 Liverpool!

26th minute, Liverpool have come out on fire now, as Arsenal begin to mount their first attack of the game. They have been denied everything thus far. Henry gains control in the midfield and outlets the ball to Tomas Rosicky as he makes his way down the sideline. Rosicky draws defenders, then passes it back into the midfield to central midfielder Gilberto Silva. Silva finds a tightly marked Thierry Henry at the top of the 18. Henry turns on Carragher and fires a dipping ball! The ball scoots past Reina and into the back of the net! Reina looked surprised by the shot. An elated Henry runs to the corner flag to celebrate with the fans. Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal!

29th minute, Arsenal have gained momentum, and are knocking on the door once again! The ball crossed into the box to Henry...cleared away up the middle by Jamie Carragher. The ball ends up at Rosicky's feet. Rosicky takes a touch past Xabi Alonso and fires from a good distance...the ball curved in! What a strike by Tomas Rosicky! We may be talking about that goal for some time. And just like that, Arsenal have pulled ahead. 2 - 1 Arsenal!

Halftime, The teams enter the dressing rooms after a back and forth first half. This game is certainly living up to the hype, as both teams have come out and played at a high level. Each side has been able to generate a number of offensive opportunities with Arsenal creating 12(5) first half shots and Liverpool 8(5). The absence of Franck Ribery doesn't seem to be hurting Arsenal right now, as they've dominated the midfield play throughout most of the first half. Arsenal's Thierry Henry is living up to his billing as one of the top strikers in the world, with a terrific first half display and a wonderful goal. Liverpool will almost certainly be looking for Steven Gerrard to step up and provide the energy to propel them to a victory. We'll see what adjustments each side makes as we're ready to start the second half.

46th minute, The second half starts with an Arsenal kick, and is played back to the defense. Right defender William Gallas looks to find Hleb on the right wing, and the pass is intercepted by Mark Gonzalez! Gonzalez darts down the sideline and cuts into the middle of the field. Gonzalez slips a pass to Xabi Alonso and Alonso fires a shot! Just over the bar! Alonso was so close. Looks like Bombay has his boys motivated.

55th minute, Rosicky makes Alonso miss with a clever move to the inside. He already has one goal and is looking for another. Rosicky goes to shoot... fake shot! Rosiky slides the ball to an unmarked Adebayor who has only the keeper to beat. Adebayor strikes...over the net! He simply lost his composure there. A golden opportunity wasted by Arsenal.

59th minute, Tomas Rosicky finesses the ball down the sideline, where is the Liverpool defense? Swings a cross in to Henry, Henry drives the header toward the side netting...diving save by Reina! Liverpool have dodged another bullet.

71st minute, Arsenal are beginning to dominate, moving the ball around with ease. Getting a little too cute in the midfield, central midfielder Cesc Fàbregas loses the ball to Sissoko. Sissoko quickly plays the ball to Kuyt. Kuyt takes a chance from 25 yards! ...Well wide. A wasted opportunity by Liverpool. They simply cannot afford to waste opportunities if they expect a win today.

75th minute, Bombay is making two subs. He sends inplay maker Harry Kewell of the Australian Socceroos, hoping for a spark of some kind. Kewell will replace Gonzalez. Bombay also sends on Luis Garcia, midfielder who has been acting as cover for a striker as Liverpool still search for a striker capable of replacing Craig Bellamy, now of Aston Villa. Crouch is taken off.

80th minute, Henry with the ball in the corner...makes Daniel Agger look foolish. Henry crosses the ball toward the front post, recent substitute Theo Walcott is there for the header...goal Arsenal! A superb flick of the ball by Walcott sends daggers through the hearts of Liverpool fans. That score most certainly puts the game out of reach. Liverpool will need a miracle. 3 - 1 Arsenal!

Full time, The final whistle blows, 3-1 Arsenal. Thierry Henry proved too much for Liverpool today, as he is named today's Man of the Match. A dejected Gordon Bombay grits his teeth and shakes the hand of Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger. In what was looking to be an instant classic at half, turned into a dominant performance by Arsenal. The Gunners were clearly the better team in the second half, and could've easily added another two or three goals to their total. Bombay and his boys were simply outclassed in every sense of the word in the second half. A truly disappointing performance by the Reds today.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #31
Wonder Bear
n00b

Monday, 28th August, 2006

Reality check

Jamie Carragher and the
Liverpool defense finally broke
on Sunday, conceding three goals.

A tired Gordon Bombay took the podium to address members of the media Monday morning. Bombay, a few hours removed of suffering his first defeat in charge Liverpool at the hands of Arsenal, was clearly disappointed.

"The end result meant nothing," Bombay said, "we were dominated in every fashion yesterday. Hell, we could've won the game for all I care. When you go into a big game, a rivalry game, you expect your players to show up. And to their credit, some of them did. But the majority of them were nowhere to be found." Bombay wouldn't go as far to call out players by name, but to those who watched the game, it was obvious who the criticism was directed at (ST Peter Crouch, MC Xabi Alonso, D Daniel Agger, D John Arne Riise).

The flat performance by Liverpool, especially in the final 45 minutes, is the truly puzzling part. How could a team go from motivated and energetic to lethargic and heartless in such a short time? Are Arsenal really that much better than Liverpool? True, this is not the end of the world. The game was only 3-1, but what could've been is worrisome. Arsenal could have easily hung six or seven on the Reds, a supposedly 'defensive' team.

Of course, the blame isn't all on the defense. There is only so much a defense can do without offensive support. The fact of the matter is that Liverpool has offensive problems. Clubhouse cancer or not, Craig Bellamy's scoring ability is being missed.

With only three days until the transfer window closes, Bombay most certainly is looking for a viable option up top. Or he should be. With roughly $21M left to spend in the transfer market, what does he have to lose? What Liverpool have now cannot be counted on in the long run. Yes, the Reds have managed to eek out goals when needed, but a constant threat to score is a must.

Why does Liverpool need to look to the transfer market? Why not find a solution inside? Why not use fan favorite Robbie Fowler? True, Fowler has technical ability, and is arguably the best finisher on the team. But Fowler's unmatched lack of speed is detrimental to any value he may have. Liverpool already have Crouch to take care of the physical awkwardness, and won't find the answer with Fowler.

"Why not bring up Freddy Adu?" Adu has been dominant in his four starts with the Liverpool Under-18s, scoring seven goals. But Adu has just recently arrived in Anfield, and to bring him up too quickly could be costly in his development. Regardless, Adu plays midfield, not striker, and doesn't yet posses the finishing ability needed to be successful up top.

"What about other youngsters?" Under-18 dynamic duo of Craig Lindfield & Ben Fairclough have been tearing it up as well as Adu, and look very promising. But like Adu, the premature promotion of either one is a potential detriment to the development cycle. Developmental cycle aside, Liverpool shouldn't be pinning their title hopes to a pair seventeen year olds.

The answer? Luca Toni, of course. I don't care how Bombay does it, sell the farm, sell the children, sell anything and everything to get the dough to pry Toni away from Fiorentina. The acquisition of Toni gives Liverpool immediate help where they need it most, and improves their offense tenfold. Gillett and Hicks say they have a commitment to winning, show us the money then, boys.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #32
Wonder Bear
n00b

Tuesday, 29th August, 2006

Redknapp, Portsmouth not afraid of Liverpool

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp didn't have any
words of encouragement for the new Liverpool skipper.

In what came as a bit of a surprise Tuesday, Pompey manager Harry Redknapp slammed Gordon Bombay.

"You've really got to wonder what they're doing over there [in Liverpool]," said Redknapp. "Hiring a manager who's never done anything aside from skating around with some kiddies? It's a joke. And now they think they can buy a championship."

The move by Redknapp to openly criticize Bombay and Liverpool was unexpected, as the two managers have yet to meet one another. Perhaps Redknapp was using this to motivate his club to keep the momentum going after a highly contested match that saw Portsmouth steal a win against Everton, 1-0.

"Our boys are really looking forward to this, and so am I," added Redknapp, "They [Liverpool] were exposed on Sunday by Arsène Wenger. Tactically dominated. We're looking to do the same." No one is going to confuse Arsenal with Portsmouth talent-wise, so it's a question of how exactly Redknapp plans to 'dominate'.

Bombay didn't take too kindly of the criticism directed his way. "Where does this guy get off criticizing us? Wasn't his club almost relegated last season?" True, Portsmouth narrowly escaped the relegation zone by four points in 05/06, but this is a new season.

Portsmouth have made a number of personnel decisions since last season, acquiring a number of new players, including six new starters. Keeper David James, (arguably the best English keeper, but that's not saying a whole lot) made his way over from Manchester City. A pair of Arsenal defenders made their way over as well. Cameroonian defender, Lauren and teammate Sol Campbell (getting up there a bit in years (31), but is still one of the best defenders on the EPL) have helped out Portsmouth tremendously already. Former Liverpool defender Djimi Traore also made his way over to Fratton Park in the offseason. Other new faces include midfielder Niko Kranjcar, (a highly skilled left winger with tremendous potential) formerly of Croatian club Hajduk and striker Nwankwo Kanu (West Brom).

The words between these two managers will certainly elevate the energy of the game on Wednesday. Liverpool are favored to take down the points.

Additional News:
-With the transfer deadline drawing near (Thursday), Bombay was asked if he was actively looking for a player or two. Bombay refused to comment on the situation, declaring that "We're focusing on our game against Portsmouth and that's it as of now."

-As a result of defender Daniel Agger's lack of desire on Sunday, Bombay has said he will rest the 21 year old, citing fatigue as the cause of his lackluster performance.

-Starting Pompey striker Benjani has been ruled out of the contest, sitting out with bruised ribs.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #33
Wonder Bear
n00b

Wednesday, 30th August, 2006

Liverpool win ugly

Steven Gerrard scores a dramatic
late winner to get Liverpool the win.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp had it right. He had his team more than ready for Liverpool. Portsmouth outshot Liverpool 21(10) - 8(6) and had the advantage in possession, controlling the ball 60% of the time. Pompey was also able to do what they said they were going to do, tactically shut down Steven Gerrard. Gerrard was held without a shot and was hard to find throughout most of the game. Redknapp's gameplanning looked as if it was going to get them the draw on the day, until Gerrard's late game theatrics took control.

After being shut down for the majority of the match, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard emerged in the waning minutes to break the hearts of Portsmouth players and fans.

With only a minute remaining in extra time, striker Peter Crouch received a lofted ball from John Arne Riise. Crouch then played the ball square to Gerrard, who was alone on goal. Keeper David James charged Gerrard, who popped the ball over James for the winning score. Pompey players surrounded referee Mark Halsey, screaming for the offsides call. The call never came, and Liverpool came away victors.

Peter Crouch (15) & Dirk Kuyt (18) look like they're offside as Riise plays the ball that led to the game winning goal.

"The goal was clearly offside," Redknapp stressed, "the officiating was laughable. Congratulations to Liverpool for being handed the game." Redknapp had the right to be angry, as his club most certainly deserved the win.

"From where I was stationed, it was impossible offside or not," said a relieved Bombay. "I'm just glad that we were able to pull it out in the end. Steve showed once again what a great player he is. To win in that fashion, especially on the road, is encouraging." Dirk Kuyt's game should not go unnoticed in the midst of Gerrard's heroics. Kuyt capitalized on two counter attacking opportunities to put away a pair of goals of his own. "Dirk's tremendous. He knows what kind of runs to make and win, he's a huge part of what we do." Though the manager was pleased with the win, he didn't lose sight of his goals, "We need to play better. Play with more intensity, more desire and make smarter plays all over the field," added Bombay, "But we'll take the win."

When asked to comment on Redknapp, Bombay didn't hesitate to rub it in. "If he wants to blame the officiating, he can take it to the FA. That's not our concern. All we're focusing on is going out there and beating whoever the opponent is. And unfortunately for Mr. Redknapp, his team couldn't hang with us." Getting thoroughly worked by his opponent didn't seem to phase Bombay when criticizing Redknapp.

Liverpool will need to drastically upgrade their play sooner rather than later, as the quality of their opponents will only increase (vs. Manchester United 9.9.06, vs. Roma 12.9.06).

30th of August 2006
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
English Premier League 2006/2007 - Game 3

39' Sol Campbell, 65' Lomana LuaLua - 4' Dirk Kuyt, 57' Dirk Kuyt, 90'(+1) Steven Gerrard

Match Ratings (3-5-1):
GK Jose Manuel Reina - 6
DL John Arne Riise - 7
DC Jamie Carragher - 7
DR Christoph Metzelder - 8
Def Mid Mohammed Sissoko - 7
ML Mark Gonzalez - 7
MC Xabi Alonso (Inj 68') - 7, Javier Mascherano - 6
MR Steven Gerrard (c) - 8
AMC Harry Kewell (Sub 56') - 7, Luis Garcia - 7
FC Peter Crouch - 8
FC Dirk Kuyt - 8

Additional Liverpool Match Notes:
-Peter Crouch made a case to keep his starting spot in wake of rumors that Liverpool are looking to bring in another striker before the transfer deadline.

-Central Midfielder Xabi Alonso was injured in the second half. The extent of the injury is unknown.

Portsmouth Squad Notes:
-Newcomers Sol Campbell & Niko Kranjcar played at a high level, each earning a match rating of 8. Campbell was a force in the defensive end, intercepting nine Liverpool passes on the day.

-Lomana LuaLua had a tremendous game, scoring the equalizer in the 65th minute for Portsmouth. LuaLua created eight shots for himself, five on goal and also drew six penalties.

Lomana LuaLua's superb offensive display (match rating of 9) was enough to earn him Man of the Match in a losing effort Wednesday.

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 02-27-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #34
Wonder Bear
n00b

Thursday, 31st August, 2006

Liverpool acquire Bayern Munich striker at deadline

Supporters hope Pizarro will help jump start the
Liverpool offense.

It took a little over a month, but Liverpool headman Gordon Bombay has finally found his replacement for Craig Bellamy. Peruvian striker Claudio Pizarro joins a Liverpool club that has high expectations of him. "Whenever a player of Claudio's skill joins your club, you can't help but be excited," said Bombay. "I think Claudio's going to create a lot of goals for us here at Anfield."

Claudio Pizarro is an exceptional talent that will have a positive impact immediately. He is a hard working, dynamic, team-first player. Pizarro also has exceptional movement off the ball, which should result in a number of scoring opportunities. Dirk Kuyt should benefit from the acquisition of Pizarro as well. Pizarro is a player with exceptional vision, and should be able to find Kuyt when open.

After Bayern & Liverpool agreed to a transfer fee of $11.5M, the Reds wasted no time in offering the striker a new contract. The 27-year-old signed a three year deal with Liverpool, which is worth at least $10.5 million.

Pizarro will most likely make his Liverpool debut when they meet with Manchester United at Anfield on the 9th of September.

Other Team News:
-Liverpool were relieved as they learned the injury Xabi Alonso sustained in their game against Portsmouth was only a dead leg. Alonso will not miss any time.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:11 PM   #35
Wonder Bear
n00b

Friday, 1st September, 2006

Barclays Premiership Monthly Report

Thierry Henry and Arsenal are looking like
serious contenders for their first EPL title since 2004.

Welcome to the first edition of Barclays Premiership Monthly Report. Every month we'll take a look at the EPL from top to bottom, and offer some insight on what's happening in the Premiership.

League Table:

The season has just begun, so taking the standings too seriously now isn't a great idea. Here's how the teams have faired thus far.

Transfers:
It was a wild transfer window for teams playing in the EPL. A number of big names and not so big names came to England. Here are some of most noteworthy transfers of the season.

-Gianpaolo Pazzini, from Fiorentina to Chelsea $61.5M

Pazzini is a young, quick individual who has one of the better shots in the EPL. Unfortunately for Chelsea, Pazzini has been unable to get into any games this year due to a lack of fitness. Once Pazzini regains his fitness, he'll be used in the three man rotation up top including Drogba, Andriy Shevchenko and himself. As a side not, the absence of Pazzini likely drove up the asking price for former Fioerntina teammate Luca Toni to unreasonable heights. Spoiling the hopes of some clubs to bring him in.

-Franck Ribery, from Marseille to Arsenal $37M

Franck Ribéry is another high profile player who has been unable to contribute to his side. Ribéry has been held out of matches due to a nagging ankle injury, but has now completely healed. Ribéry should make his debut sometime this week.
-Jefferson Farfán, from PSV to Aston Villa $24.5M

A well-balanced player who can perform at a high level at a number of different positions, Farfán was one of the most sought after players in the transfer window. He is playing ML for Villa, but has yet to score. Farfán is beginning to fit in at Villa Park, with a match rating of 6.67 in two games.

-Andrea Barzagli, from Palermo to Chelsea $22.5M

A tremendous talent at center back, Barzagli is one of the best in the world. His marking combined with his ability in the air make him one of the toughest matchups for strikers. Barzagli will be used in the defensive rotation, but he could push Khalid Boulahrouz for the starting spot, as unseating John Terry (Current captain of both Chelsea & England) is an unrealistic goal.
-Christoph Metzelder, from Dortmund to Liverpool $15.75M

Metzelder is starting to fit right in at Anfield, and just came off arguably his best game of the year with a match rating of 8. Metzelder is a consistent player who is strong in the air and one of the best tacklers in the EPL.

Monthly Awards:

Player of the Month
-Thierry Henry, Arsenal (2nd, Tomas Rosiky, Arsenal. 3rd, Gabriel Heinze, Man Utd.)

Henry has been terrific for Arsenal this season. He leads the Premiership with an average form rating of 9.00, and is tied for first in goals (4) with Wayne Rooney (Man Utd.) and Didier Drogba (Chelsea).

Young Player of the Month
-Cesc Fàbregas, Arsenal (2nd, Philippe Senderos, Arsenal. 3rd, Leroy Lita, Reading.)

Fàbregas has burst onto the scene for the Gunners with an average form rating of 7.67, and has picked up two scores in three appearances.

Goal of the Month
-Tomas Rosicky, Arsenal (vs. Liverpool, August 27th) (2nd, Carlos Tevez, West Ham vs. Tottenham. 3rd, Wayne Rooney, Man Utd. vs. Middlesbrough)

In perhaps the biggest game of the year thus far, Tomas Rosicky was there when his team needed him. Rosicky scored the go-ahead goal in the 29th minute when he found the back of the net on a long range curling shot. Arsenal were victorious 3-1 as a result.

Manager of the Month
-Martin O'Neill, Aston Villa (2nd, José Mourinho, Chelsea. 3rd, Gordon Bombay, Liverpool.)

O'Neill has led Villa to two straight victories in the Premiership, including a victory over rival and previously undefeated Reading.

EPL Team of the Month
Arsenal FC
Arsenal are looking like the most complete team in the EPL right now, and the domination of Liverpool was just plain impressive. To think that this team doesn't even have their prized signing in the lineup yet is scary. An Arsenal squad with a full speed Ribéry is insane.

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 02-24-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #36
Wonder Bear
n00b

Wednesday, 6th September, 2006

Rooney injured in Euro 2008 Qualifying

Wayne Rooney will be held out of
Saturday's game when United travel to Anfield.

Manchester United were anxiously waiting for the scans done on star Wayne Rooney's thigh immediately after England's 2-0 victory over FYR of Macedonia. United were informed hours later than Rooney would be out for upwards of two weeks.

Rooney's presence will most certainly be missed on Saturday, as he has been in top form for his club. He has managed to score four goals in two EPL appearances and has a match rating of 8.5

The absence of Rooney will not lessen the excitement for this game, however, as Manchester United vs. Liverpool is arguably the greatest rivalry in football. The two sides have combined for a total of 33 domestic titles, 18 FA Cups, 4 UEFA Cups and 7 European Cups(now known the UEFA Champions League).

Match odds: Liverpool: 6-4(favorite) Draw: 2-1 Manchester United: 13-8.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #37
Wonder Bear
n00b

Saturday, 9th September, 2006

Other Match Day Results:
Fulham 0-0 Wigan
Tottenham 0-0 Everton

Liverpool 1 Manchester United 1

A late goal by Ryan Giggs evened up the score
as Liverpool and Manchester United played to
a draw at Anfield.

Liverpool got a little taste of their own medicine, as it was their opponent benefiting on a late goal this time. Ryan Giggs capitalized on a perfectly timed pass by Paul Scholes in the 87th minute to earn a point on Saturday, rather than dropping three.

Xabi Alonso had given the home side the lead after 39 minutes with his first goal of the season, capitalizing on a less than stellar clear by defender Gary Neville. The Reds shut it down, and went into a defensive shell, as it looked likely that Liverpool would earn their third victory in four games.

But in the 87th minute, the visitors grabbed a dramatic equalizer.

Park Ji-Sung's pass to a penetrating Paul Scholes opened up the defense. Scholes, on a great individual effort, made Liverpool defender Daniel Agger miss, drawing loads of attention from the Liverpool defense. Scholes was able to find Giggs in the middle of the box, as Giggs had little trouble tucking it away.

It was a blow to a Liverpool squad who must have thought they were due for three points on the day against their hated rivals.

"It's tough," said Bombay, "to be so close only to earn a draw. That's just the way things go sometimes."

There could have been a very different outcome to the game if each side had their full squad. Each team was missing a key component on the day. Manchester United was without EPL scoring leader Wayne Rooney, who had injured himself earlier in the week playing for the English National team. Liverpool was missing starting defensive midfielder Mohamed Sissoko, who was on international duty for Mali.

Match Ratings for Liverpool (4-4-2) and Man Utd. (4-4-2)
(Note: Positions are not listed, but are in same order as in past reports.)

Both teams will be preparing for their Champions League matches, which are on September 12th (Liverpool vs. Roma) and September 13th (Manchester United vs. FC Kobenhavn).

Last edited by Wonder Bear : 02-25-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #38
Wonder Bear
n00b

Sunday, 10th September

UEFA Champions League title odds released

2005 UEFA Footballer of the Year Ronaldinho and Barcelona
are favored to win their second straight Champions League title.

Totalbet.com has released their their odds for which of the remaining 32 teams will bring home the Champions League title. The odds for major contenders are: Barcelona - 7:1, Manchester United - 15:2, Chelsea - 15:2, AC Milan - 8:1, Real Madrid - 8:1, Inter - 11:1 and Liverpool - 12:1.

"What do I think of our odds? I don't give a damn about our odds," a clearly irritated Gordon Bombay said. "I'm trying to get my team ready for our match, and you're going to bother me with questions like that?"

Bombay was exceptionally sour, but could anyone blame him? His team has struggled to play quality football for 90 minutes since their last Champions League match, over two weeks ago. The lack of living up to their potential has affected the clubhouse more than their record. "We're still trying to get it right," captain Steven Gerrard noted, after coming off a subpar performance against Manchester United. "It's important that we don't get too down on ourselves. We know what we need to do and what we're capable of." Perhaps a step back into the Champions League is just what the doctor ordered.

Group play of the Champions League will begin September 12th.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:41 PM   #39
Wonder Bear
n00b

Wednesday, 13th September, 2006

Liverpool 1 Roma 0

Dirk Kuyt's goal was all Liverpool would need to secure
the Champions League win.

Center backs Christoph Metzelder and John Carragher gave Roma an introduction to English football, dominating the Italian offense and holding them to zero shots on goal.

Striker Dirk Kuyt's extra time goal in the first half was enough to give Liverpool their third Champions League victory in as many games.Viduka's seventh-minute strike and a superb 69th-minute finish from Yakubu handed the Royals their first defeat in 10 Premiership games.

The Reds were in complete control before and after the break, never facing a legitimate threat from the Italian side.

"We got back to playing our style of football, and we look to continue that in every upcoming match," said vice-captain Jamie Carragher. "We we're on our game, we're an exceptional bunch."

Not to jump to any conclussions, but if Liverpool have indeed gotten back on track, they have picked quite the time to do it. Liverpool will next face the two supposedly 'weaker' teams in their group before facing Roma again, and should also be able to make a run in the EPL. In their next five league games, Bombay's club has the following schedule: @ Wigan, Charlton, @ Blackburn, Aston Villa, @ West Ham.

Certainly, none of these games are assured wins, but if Liverpool is at top form, they should be able to capitalize against each.

All Group Stage Results:
-Group A
Celtic 2-3 Arsenal
Zurich 0-2 Shaktar

-Group B
Galatasaray 0-2 Inter
Lille 0-1 Bayern Munich

-Group C
Ajax 3-0 Anderlecht
Real Madrid 3-0 Red Star

-Group D
Osasuna 3-1 Sporting CP

-Group E
AC Milan 3-0 PSV
Spartak Moscow 2-1 Dinamo Kiev

-Group F
Austria Wien 0-2 Chelsea
Valencia 2-0 Olympiakos

-Group G
Lyon 2-1 Bremen
Man Utd 2-0 FC Kobenhavn

-Group E
Barcelona 3-0 Porto
Bourdeaux 0-0 Chievo

Group Tables:

Old 02-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #40
Wonder Bear
n00b

Saturday, 16th September, 2006

Other Match Day Results:
Everton 1-0 Man City
Blackburn 3-0 Watford
Tottenham 2-0 Portsmouth
West Ham 2-1 Sheff United
Man Utd 1-2 Arsenal

Wigan 0 Liverpool 2

Javier Mascherano (on loan from West
Ham) scored his first ever goal for Liverpool
in the 59th minute Saturday against Wigan.

Argentinian midfielder Javier Mascherano banged home his first goal for his new club in the 59th minute of a rain soaked, sloppy game that also saw captain Steven Gerrard score is his sixth league goal in five appearances.

Liverpool dominated defensively for the second straight game, allowing just two shots on goal. Manager Gordon Bombay was pleased with his squad's performance, "We're getting back to what we know," said Bombay. "We're not yet where we need to be, but we're getting there."

Wigan was able to cling onto a scoreless tie for nearly an hour before Liverpool finally capitalized. Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso was awarded a free kick after being hacked down by Wigan defender Marcin Baszczynski, for which Baszczynski received a yellow card. Alonso's free kick from the left about 30 yards out was perfectly placed near the penalty spot, as keeper Chris Kirkland found himself in no-man's land. Kirland's hesitation to break on the ball was costly, as Mascherano beat him there for the header, giving the away side the goal advantage.

"Javie's got great anticipation, it didn't surprise me that he was there for the finish," added Bombay.

Any Wigan campaign for a comeback was demolished as Steven Gerrard converted a penalty kick in the 86th minute, giving Liverpool the decisive lead.

"Our form today was not exactly what we had hoped for," Wigan manager Paul Jewell said. "But give them credit, they were the better team on this day."

Wigan's schedule will not get any easier, as their next two league games are against perennial Premiership powers Arsenal and Manchester United. Liverpool will look to continue their winning ways at home against Charlton next Saturday.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #41
Wonder Bear
n00b

Henry, Arsenal agree to contract extension

The deal will keep Henry in an Arsenal
uniform till June 2011.

Arsenal Football Club re-signed striker Thierry Henry to a five-year contract on Sunday.

Henry is in his 9th EPL season, all with Arsenal, and 14th season as a pro total. He has 168 goals in 241 league appearances with Arsenal. Entering Sunday, Henry has seven goals in six team appearances this season.

"I love it here. I would wish nothing more than to finish my career with Arsenal," an all-smiles Henry said Sunday. Looks as though he'll be getting his wish.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #42
Wonder Bear
n00b

Other Match Day Results:
Arsenal 3-1 Wigan
Bolton 2-1 Everton
Man City 3-2 Tottenham
Portsmouth 0-2 Man Utd
Reading 0-1 Chelsea
Watford 4-2 Aston Villa

Liverpool stage comeback, take care of Charlton

Liverpool will be without Sissoko for
close to two months.

Liverpool claimed their third victory in four games thanks to a spirited second half comeback inspired by a sweetly struck shot of 20 years by newcomer Claudio Pizarro.

Pizarro's goal sparked a 3-0 run in the next 17 minutes and lead to a 3-1 victory. Liverpool improved their record to 4-1-1 and extended their league unbeaten streak to four straight games.

Things weren't looking so rosy for the Reds early on, however. A mistimed break on the ball by keeper Jose Reina on a 34th minute corner gave Charlton the early lead as striker Darren Bent capitalized on the Reina miscue. The goal saw Liverpool down for the first time since their match against Arsenal, which they dropped 3-1.

"A few of our bad habits were starting to creep up on us," Bombay said, "but I made it a point to remind the boys that a performance like that is unacceptable. Chalrton are a club worthy of the Premiership, but in no circumstance should we be trailing them." The perhaps unintentional stab at Charlton came off as arrogant or, at best, a little ignorant. Either way, Bombay surely got the result he was looking for in the second half.

The change in Liverpool's play was evident from the start of the half, but they were unable to break through the grit and determination of the Charlton defense for a hard fought fifteen minutes. It took a divinely inspired effort on the part of ex-Bayern Munich striker Claudio Pizarro to pull the Reds even. Following the goal, Pizarro rushed over to the corner flag where he was embraced by his teammates for his heroics. It was Pizarro's first goal at Anfield.

Seven minutes later, Liverpool was knocking on the door once more. This time it was Dirk Kuyt breaking free from defenders going in on goal. Kuyt drew a penalty on the play, being dragged down from behind by defender Luke Young. Captain Steven Gerrard put the penalty away without a problem, as Thomas Myhre guessed the wrong way.

Liverpool put the game away in the 78th minute, with Pizarro's help once again. Pizarro flicked a cross from Steven Gerrard across the box, where a full speed Mark Gonzalez was able to run onto the ball uncontested as he tucked the ball away for the 3-1 lead.

Liverpool would not exit the match unscathed, however, suffering a loss of midfielder Mohammed Sissoko for up to two months due to some fractucred ribs. Bombay, though concerned for the wellbeing of his starting midfielder, was confident that he had the personnel to fill the void. "It's a huge loss, he's a great player. But we're a talented club, I think we should be able to cover for Mo's loss just fine."

23rd of September 2006
English Premier League 2006/2007 - Game 6

61' Claudio Pizarro, 68' Steven Gerrard, 78' Mark Gonzalez - 34' Darren Bent

Match Ratings:
GK Jose Manuel Reina - 7
DR Daniel Agger - 7
DL John Arne Riise - 8
DC Christoph Metzelder - 7
DC Jamie Carragher - 7
MC Mohammed Sissoko (Inj 58') - 7, Javier Mascherano - 7
MC Xabi Alonso - 7
ML Mark Gonzalez - 8, Man of the Match
MR Steven Gerrard (c) - 7
FC Claudio Pizarro - 8
FC Dirk Kuyt - 7

Old 02-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #43
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Good stuff
Old 02-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #44
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Agreed. This is very well done.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #45
Wonder Bear
n00b

Tuesday, 26th August, 2006

Liverpool arrive in Portugal, Bombay announces tactical changes

Liverpool will look to Socceroo star Harry Kewell
to provide a spark against Sporting.

As the Liverpool squad arrived in Lisbon early Tuesday morning for their Champions League match against Sporting, manager Gordon Bombay met with the media that afternoon.

Bombay revealed what many fans and media members alike had been wondering since Mohamed Sissoko went down with an injury against Charlton. Well, those questions have been answered. Rather than inserting Javier Mascherano directly into the role that Sissoko had played as many had assumed he'd do, Bombay opted for a formation change, denying Mascherano the starting position.

"It's not about that," said Bombay when asked if this move was motivated by the recent criticism he has faced involving his tactics. "My job is the put the guys in the best place for them to succeed, and this is what this move does for us."

Bombay has changed from a basic 4-4-2 to a 3-5-2, adding a few new faces along the way. Say goodbye to Daniel Agger and welcome in 32 year old defender Sami Hyypia and 28 year old attacking midfielder Harry Kewell.

Liverpool Starting XI (3-5-2)

"Sami & Harry are great players and well respected by everyone in the locker room. They'll provide us with veteran leadership along with their level of play."

Going with Harry Kewell and Sami Hyypia will certainly give Liverpool a different look. Starting Kewell will provide the team with more energy, as a more offensive approach to the Reds game should give them a spark. He's very dangerous in the offensive third, possessing a remarkable ability to dribble, a strong first touch and a powerful shot. Sami Hyypia, while getting up there a little bit in age, is still a very capable defender. With Daniel Agger's less than stellar play as of late, and Liverpool expected to win now, Hyypia seems a quality replacement.

Liverpool are slight favorites going into the match, as it is surely to be a close contest, especially in Portugal. Sporting and Liverpool will meet at 19:45 (7:45 pm) on Wednesday at Estádio José Alvalade. Ironically, Liverpool's new stadium (New Anfield, opening in 2009) is based on the Estádio José Alvalade design.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #46
Wonder Bear
n00b

Wednesday, 27th September, 2006

Man of the Match Jamie Carragher celebrates
a Liverpool win.

It seems like Gordon Bombay might be getting hang of this whole manager thing after all. Bombay's move to insert attacking midfielder Harry Kewell into the starting lineup paid off, as Kewell gave Liverpool the first lead of the match as he hammered home the rebound from a Dirk Kuyt blast in the 21st minute.

"We expect plays like that from Harry. It's no surprise coming from a player as talented as he is," Bombay mentioned in the postgame meeting with the press. "Missing Mo is going to hurt, but the offensive firepower that Harry can bring is something not many guys can provide."

Liverpool would not be handed the victory that easily, however. Five minutes after half, a stroke of luck lead to a Sporting goal, which tied the match at 1-1. Brazilian striker Liedson was able to get off a shot in a crowded Liverpool eighteen, as the ball was deflected into the next by Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia.

Lady luck would not deny Liverpool the win on the day, as recently acquired Claudio Pizarro capitalized on a breakaway in the 84th minute, closing shut Sporting's hopes of coming out with at least a draw.

With the win, Liverpool closes out September with a record of 4-1-0. The Liverpool overall unbeaten streak has stretched to five, not dropping a match since the loss to Arsenal at Eimirates Stadium in August.

All Group Stage (Game 2) Results:
-Group A
Arsenal 2-0 Zurich
Shakhtar 0-0 Celtic

-Group B
Inter 3-0 Lille
Bayern Munich 4-0 Galatasray

-Group C
Anderlecht 0-0 Real Madrid
Red Star 0-2 Ajax

-Group D
Roma 1-1 Osasuna

-Group E
Dinamo Kiev 1-1 AC Milan
PSV 2-1 Spartak Moscow

-Group F
Chelsea 0-1 Valencia
Olympiakos 1-1 Austria Wien

-Group G
Bremen 2-1 Man Utd
FC Kobenhavn 0-2 Lyon

-Group H
Chievo 0-0 Barcelona
Porto 1-1 Bordeaux

Group Tables:

Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #47
Wonder Bear
n00b

Sunday, 1st October, 2006

Liverpool dominant in fifth straight win, 3-0 over Blackburn

Harry Kewell has been everything that
Bombay said he'd be. And then some.

Blackburn were trounced by a Liverpool side who were ready and rearing to go from the start Sunday afternoon.

Dirk Kuyt set the tone early on with a wicked blast as he burned through the Blackburn defense. Unfortunately for Liverpool, the ball came flying back off of the crossbar.

Liverpool would not be held scoreless for long, however, as recent addition to the starting lineup Harry Kewell showed why his manager has so much faith in him. Kewell was able to capitalize on a beautiful through ball provided by striker Claudio Pizarro that saw the Australian with just the keeper to beat. Kewell did just that, zipping the ball to the left of an outstretched Peter Enckelman.

It's not as if Blackburn were completely outclassed, though. Just minutes later Blackburn striker Shabani Nonda had a clear look from a little over twelve yards out, and if not for an inspired save by Jose Reina, Liverpool would've found themselves even with Blackburn. Rovers and boss Mark Hughes would end up regretting those missed opportunities. "We had two or three chances which we squandered and unfortunately it really hurt us today," said Hughes after the loss.

The teams would trade attacks for the remainder of the half, as neither one was in control. However, the script took a drastic change for the away side in the second half.

Bombay must have given his boys some inspiration at half, as Liverpool came out with a surge of toughness and tenacity to be admired.

Two minutes into the second half, Harry Kewell sent a ball flying into the back of the Blackburn net for his second score on the day. Kewell was on the end of a beautiful pass by John Arne Riise.

The home side was unable to muster much of anything at all for the remainder of the second half, and Liverpool added insult to injury, tacking up a third goal in the 81st minute compliments of Claudio Pizarro.

"If I was to say I was pleased with our play, it'd be an understatement," chuckled a content Gordon Bombay after the game. "The boys came out today the way they have for the past few matches and just really let loose and enjoyed themselves." The win stretches Liverpool's league unbeaten streak to five games and six overall, earning a victory in the last five.

1st of October 2006
Edwood Park, Blackburn
English Premier League 2006/2007 - Game 7

35' Harry Kewell, 47' Harry Kewell, 68' Jamie Carragher, 81' Claudio Pizarro

Match Ratings:
GK Jose Manuel Reina - 8
DC Sami Hyypia - 8
DC Christoph Metzelder - 9, Man of the Match
DC Jamie Carragher - 7
MR Luis Garcia - 8
MC Xabi Alonso - 7
MC Steven Gerrard - 7
ML John Arne Riise - 9
AMC Harry Kewell - 9
FC Claudio Pizarro - 8
FC Dirk Kuyt - 8

Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #48
BigDPW
College Prospect

What skin are you using in FM?
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #49
Wonder Bear
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
What skin are you using in FM?
Aero. I also have the backgrounds set to change for different competitions.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #50
WelshWizard
n00b

As a long time Liverpool fan, i am thoroughly enjoying this Dynasty thread. Great job, keep it up. I look forward to reading it everyday.
WelshWizard is offline   Reply With Quote