Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

What would you do if you had unlimited cash available?

What would you do if you had Bill Gates money, and could basically spend at will with no worries of ever running through your savings?

Last edited by Kodos : 08-03-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A variety of approaches (angel investing, X-prize-type rewards, legislative lobbying, focused R&D) to attempt to move us away from fossil fuels into renewable energy.

That will happen, IMO, when such energy can be generated more cheaply and distributed as profitably as fossil fuels.

Climate change is, IMO, the biggest challenge we have in terms of severity of problem vs. political will to solve it. So I'd use my money to try and nudge us in the right direction.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good answer. My answers usually head in a similar direction of improving things like that.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Besides two chicks at the same time?
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If I woke up independently financially flush tomorrow.
I'd greedily take about 30 days and live it up. Not crazy 10,000,000 blown live it up. But travel to all the places I've wanted to see. Probably buy 1 stupid inexcusable toy (a supercar of some variety).

Next I'd set up a couple of diversified business ventures that should ensue the steady cash flow for twice my life expectancy.

Finally, I'd turn philanthropic.

Similarly Id like to fund companies that challenge the status quo. Whether its energy, or construction materials, or even a hardware company that builds on a new platform.

After that, Id probably blow the rest.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I'd finally get the goddamn washer and dryer out of my kitchen
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I guess the first thing that jumps to my mind is finally finishing the wall in the backyard that I started building 5 years ago and never finished because I always had the excuse of using money on other things.

Guess that excuse wouldn't fly with the missus anymore.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'd make "Brewster's Millions" look like an exercise in extremely tight budgeting.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
bob
College Starter

Bring back CT & Jivin.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
Besides two chicks at the same time?

I presumed this would be the first response.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
revrew
Team Chaplain

I'd seek out the kinds of charities, churches and nonprofits that are truly making a difference and personally meet with them to see where their biggest needs are and get 'er done.

I've seen firsthand that throwing cash at even a well-meaning organization can often be counter-productive, but where they need expanded facilities, or the ability to hire more, or delivery needs, etc., that I'd be all over.

Then I'd go out and buy an NFL franchise.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

R&D for optimizing solar power if there was a good chance of ROI would probably top my list...and then getting the United States to pledge money to the building of that infrastructure. We could put huge swaths of panels in New Mexico, Arizona, and West Texas and nobody would ever even know they were there.

But yeah, once I did that, I'd have two chicks at the same time.

Then I'd buy the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and change those damned uniforms.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'd build a giant underground commune of sorts with houses for all my family and friends and give each of them enough money so that none of us ever had to work again. I'd spend a lot of time pursuing artistic interests that I have never had the funds to pursue fully the way I would like. I would hire the best investors to help me grow my wealth for the next 15 years and help make it sustainable for the next phase of my plan.

Later in life, say age 50 on, I would become a more public figure. I would hire respected teachers and bring other philanthropic types together to form as diverse of a think tank as possible and we would spend our time dedicating our energy toward funding those who are trying to solve significant problems in the world. Disease, hunger, climate change, renewable energy, government.. I would start a fund that actively searches all over the world for children with exceptional intelligence in order to provide them with every advantage possible so that their minds are able to help us continue to advance the human species. It would be tough, but my think tank and I would do everything we can to try and bring us as close to a harmonious and peaceful existence for the human race as possible. I would try to pass laws that require news agencies to report news honestly, factually, and without bias so that the general populace would know the truth of things rather than having sensationalism thrown in their faces every minute of every day. I would build a free college funded by a large amount of invested capital with the best teachers I can get so that people who cannot afford college can go somewhere to further their education and improve their lot in life without burying themselves in debt. The schools curriculum would focus on fields that need young and talented workers to try and maximize the value of the education being provided. I would encourage the government to fund education more than they fund the military so as many people as possible could get a legit education.

Lastly I would do everything in my power to eliminate as much bureaucratic nonsense from existence as possible. I want people to be able to get help when they need it without jumping through a million hoops and doing a stack of paperwork so high it makes your nose bleed.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Become UTEP's version of T Boone Pickens/Phil Knight.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I'd build a giant underground commune of sorts with houses for all my family and friends and give each of them enough money so that none of us ever had to work again. I'd spend a lot of time pursuing artistic interests that I have never had the funds to pursue fully the way I would like. I would hire the best investors to help me grow my wealth for the next 15 years and help make it sustainable for the next phase of my plan.

Later in life, say age 50 on, I would become a more public figure. I would hire respected teachers and bring other philanthropic types together to form as diverse of a think tank as possible and we would spend our time dedicating our energy toward funding those who are trying to solve significant problems in the world. Disease, hunger, climate change, renewable energy, government.. I would start a fund that actively searches all over the world for children with exceptional intelligence in order to provide them with every advantage possible so that their minds are able to help us continue to advance the human species. It would be tough, but my think tank and I would do everything we can to try and bring us as close to a harmonious and peaceful existence for the human race as possible. I would try to pass laws that require news agencies to report news honestly, factually, and without bias so that the general populace would know the truth of things rather than having sensationalism thrown in their faces every minute of every day. I would build a free college funded by a large amount of invested capital with the best teachers I can get so that people who cannot afford college can go somewhere to further their education and improve their lot in life without burying themselves in debt. The schools curriculum would focus on fields that need young and talented workers to try and maximize the value of the education being provided. I would encourage the government to fund education more than they fund the military so as many people as possible could get a legit education.

Lastly I would do everything in my power to eliminate as much bureaucratic nonsense from existence as possible. I want people to be able to get help when they need it without jumping through a million hoops and doing a stack of paperwork so high it makes your nose bleed.

Serious question. Why would it be underground? Couldn't you just buy an island or two? Or a huge estate somewhere in the middle of the country?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Go lay on the beach somewhere with the wife.

Not sure I'd need much more than that.

Oh, buy a steering wheel for my PS4 racing games.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #17
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

TCY2.

Unfortunately, Kickstarter doesn't have an "unlimited cash" option.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd buy some island and never look bacl
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

Buy Cardiff City and spend whatever it took to get them to be a solid midtable premiership side. After that, lots of research dollars and philanthropy I would hope

EDIT - to add giving Jim the money for TCY2

Last edited by bhlloy : 08-03-2015 at 12:41 PM.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

Get water into Africa. This is something that has always bugged the shit out of me.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #21
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Serious question. Why would it be underground? Couldn't you just buy an island or two? Or a huge estate somewhere in the middle of the country?

I've just always wanted to build this fancy technological marvel of a thing underground. Privacy I guess would be part of it. Theoretically on top of the houses there would be gardens to grow our own food and probably a baseball field and a big ass playground for the kids. Underground it would be this crazy tricked out city with artificial skies overhead and the sounds of nature being piped in without all the pests involved. No bees, no bugs, no mosquitos and shit. We'd have our own theater and a little community bar/grill down there for the chefs in the bunch and a recording studio since a lot of my friends are musicians. We'd just chill and jam out and have a good time down there doing whatever we want. It would be this climate controlled haven of peace and relative quiet where everyone could just forget about the bullshit outside the doors and live happily.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #22
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
TCY2.

Unfortunately, Kickstarter doesn't have an "unlimited cash" option.

The only to figure out if any of us have unlimited cash would be to kickstart TCY 2, right?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #23
SegRat
High School Varsity

I would pay Jim whatever it cost to get front office football on my iPad.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Top two floors of a Vegas highrise.
One for "work", the other for general living & play.

"Work" consisting of multiple rock genre-specific online radio stations with full automation, a small theatre setting for bands to do live performances
Old 08-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #25
Dutch
"Dutch"

Don't forget a floor for guests.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #26
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

If it were "unlimited cash" then theoretically I could have all the cash. Therefore, I would have only one option, try and defeat Superman.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #27
spleen1015
Coordinator

I would start HNN - The Happy New Network.

Only positive news about the good shit people do in this world would be on it. No famous people whatsoever. Just nice dudes like JIMGa and his good deeds.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #28
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Get water into Africa. This is something that has always bugged the shit out of me.

To quote the dearly departed Sam Kinison.

MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD IS. YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT. NOTHING'S GONNA GROW THERE.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #29
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

On a more serious note. I'd love to just fund "out there" research projects, pure science, etc.

And of course, I'd be living it the fuck up too. But that's a given.

Oh, and I'd buy a patent of nobility from some European country, so I could be addressed as perhaps Duke or Count.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 08-03-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Or perhaps as Count Dookie...
Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #31
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'd make "Brewster's Millions" look like an exercise in extremely tight budgeting.

I know what you're thinking, you'll buy a dozen Picasso's and use them for firewood, right?
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #32
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I would start a super pac to fix the shit that is wrong with america (constitutional amendment overturning citizens united, and banning gerrymandering)

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #33
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I would also buy a cruise ship sized yacht (solar of course) and sail around the world with my cats and 11 supermodels.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
I would start a super pac to fix the shit that is wrong with america (constitutional amendment overturning citizens united, and banning gerrymandering)

Careful, might be a push if the other guys have money too.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #35
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Buy the Detroit Lions (can't do any worse then current management)

Renew Futurama for 5 more seasons

Fund a manned trip to Mars (like Mars One except I have the monies)
Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Depends on the day you ask me. But right now? buy the Colorado Rockies.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #37
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Careful, might be a push if the other guys have money too.

they are already spending.... why not match them

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #38
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
they are already spending.... why not match them

Don't know enough about Gerrymandering other than...everybody's doing it....As for Citizens United, they are already being matched, it's called Hollywood.

So...maybe you're right, you might be able to bring enough cash to tip the scales.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #39
Danny
Head Coach

A team of personal chefs who specialize in specific cuisines. Preferaby who are all attractive females and who will prepare my meals in the nude. Also, a pudding pool
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #40
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'd pour as much money as needed into research and development of toilets.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #41
Suicane75
Coordinator

If the cash was unlimited, I'd pour it right into toilet and then organize festive sewer grabs!
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #42
tarcone
Coordinator

Buy a minor league baseball team in a warm weather city with a beach. Gotta live near a beach. Then hire the most creative marketing team I could find and have ray promo nights every night. The wackier the better. And I would consider all ideas.
Spend my days on the beach or sleeping and my nights at the ball park.

I would winter on my island. Need an offseason pursuit. boating, laying on the beach. Kind of like brewsters millions at the end of the movie. That type of thing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #43
sabotai
General Manager

Hop on a plane and I wouldn't come back until the money ran out (basically just travel the rest of my life).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #44
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mrs. A and I would start in Key West and do a however-long-it-takes tour of America. Everything from eating at 5* Thomas Keller restaurants to seeing the biggest ball of twine. Like a city? We'd stay there for a month or so. We'd visit friends along the way. End in Seattle at some point.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #45
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Don't know enough about Gerrymandering other than...everybody's doing it....As for Citizens United, they are already being matched, it's called Hollywood.

So...maybe you're right, you might be able to bring enough cash to tip the scales.

hollywood doesn't come near matching the kochs. the gerymandering point would be to remove the extremes from politics, its messed up that the only threats to most congress people is from their own party. ie be more extreme.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #46
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Hop on a plane and I wouldn't come back until the money ran out (basically just travel the rest of my life).

Pretty much the same. Too much in the world I know I'll never see that I really wish I could.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #47
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
hollywood doesn't come near matching the kochs. the gerymandering point would be to remove the extremes from politics, its messed up that the only threats to most congress people is from their own party. ie be more extreme.

and from the other side, soros funds tons of stuff for liberals.. stay balanced, please.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote