Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Easy Mac

Receiving product after company goes out of business

So my wife and I ordered our crib from a large, established local baby store in late April. They have to special order the crib from the manufacturer, so it will not be in until August.

Well, we find out yesterday evening from someone who is friends with the owner that the store is going out of business, like now. Needless to say, we have not received the crib, but our card was charged in April.

I called the store, and the line is a busy tone. There website is gone. It was closed for the day by the time we found out, so the earliest I could get there is lunch, which seems like it may be too late.

What can we do here? I really don't know if we'll receive the crib, and we have no way of finding out if the order was placed or who to contact about it, since the store would have placed it with the manufacturer.

Can we call the credit card company and ask them to rescind the payment? Its been almost 2 months since we ordered, so I have no idea if that would work.

Any ideas? My wife is freaking out, since throwing away $1000 is not really that fun.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

You'll definitely want to contact your state Attorney General office and get advice from them. They had a similar situation here in KC and the state Attorney General was able to get all of the outstanding money back for the customers who didn't receive their service/product. The local Better Business Bureau would also be a good contact. Either one should be able to point you in the right direction to make sure you get resolution on the issue.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Can we call the credit card company and ask them to rescind the payment? Its been almost 2 months since we ordered, so I have no idea if that would work.

This looks like your best option to me. They've got better lawyers than you do.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

I would also call the credit card company and just let them know of the situation. They should (at least temporarily) remove the charge from your account until they can investigate it further. Obviously it depends on the card but that's how it worked for me when I paid for something never received.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

I'll echo what others have said - your credit card company is likely your best friend here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Give the merchant a chance to refund first, but don't wait for to long and then go to your credit card company, they will protect you...however if I remember correctly you do have a limit on it, and it's around 120 days.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Did you send this to Consumerist?
Consumerist - Store Goes Out Of Business Before Delivering Crib - Out of Business

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

If he didn't, he should get in touch with that guy and figure out how he handles it!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Well that's EasyMac's first name
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

There was a company here, a sporting goods store that sold boats, ATV's, etc. that went out of business. A customer had put his boat in their lot to sell, which it did, and they were going to keep like 5% of the sale. The day it sold, the company went out of business, and the guy was out his money. Not sure how it ended up, but I saw the story on the local news that night and your story reminded me of that. I would think your credit card company would go to bat for you.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote