Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Experiences with Air Tran Airways?

I just found out about my Grandmother's upcoming 80th birthday in early August. I'm likely going to be flying to NJ for a weekend for the party, and for a variety of reasons I'd like to fly into the Atlantic City airport. Apparently, Air Tran is the only airline flying into the airport (understandable as it is a small airport.) Anyone have any experiences with them? I may just fly into Philly, if they are a bad airline.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

They're a discount airline, but they've always gotten me where I'm going.

They used to be called ValuJet.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I've used them a bunch of times and never had any problems
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
They're a discount airline, but they've always gotten me where I'm going.

They used to be called ValuJet.

Are they really any worst when it comes to it's product than the "full-service" carriers (at least AirTran has in-flight radio you can listen to)?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

no problems with AirTran
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Are they really any worst when it comes to it's product than the "full-service" carriers (at least AirTran has in-flight radio you can listen to)?

Well, to be honest haven't flown AirTran in years, but probably not much difference anymore. They all act like discount carriers (save JetBlue and Virgin from my experience).
Old 06-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
henry296
College Starter

A couple of years ago, I flew them almost every week for work with no real issues. As mentioned best part is built in XMRadio.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Noticed this on wikipedia that i thought was interesting:
Quote:
As of September 2008, AirTran's average fleet age was 3.8 years.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 06-07-2009 at 04:36 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I've used them a bunch of times and never had any problems

Ditto.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks everyone. Guess I'm going to give them a try (assuming my vacation request is approved tomorrow.) The XMRadio does sound very nice.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-07-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Noticed this on wikipedia that i thought was interesting:

Wow. That's ridiculously young

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

I flew round trip from Atlanta to Atlantic City back in November 2007, the only time I've flown Air Tran, had no issues at all.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I flew round trip from Atlanta to Atlantic City back in November 2007, the only time I've flown Air Tran, had no issues at all.

I'll be having a 3 hour lay over in Atlanta both ways. Only downside to the flight as I prefer to fly non-stop when possible, but it still seems worthwhile.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wow. That's ridiculously young

SI

They were hammered so hard with bad publicity due to poor maintenance of their fleet as well as those crashes that occurred fairly near each other back in the late 1980s or early 1990s or whenever it was that they had to seriously turn around their image. I believe they changed to the Airtran name, fired alot of their board, and implemented better policies for maintenance and plane age at that time.

That said, I still never got over my irrational fear to not fly them so can't really give any other feedback on whether or not they are good however.,

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Isn't this the airline that changed their name from ValuJet?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

About the only negative I've had with AirTran versus other airlines is that when flying in & out of Atlanta (because it's a Delta hub) their gate assignments are pretty shitty, like on the ass end of the airport instead of the easiest to reach after clearing security. They're almost in a different county than the rest of Hartsfield (or that's how it feels when you're rushing to make a flight).

Support staff on the ground (ticket agents, baggage people, etc) are maybe a little lower quality too but you can get suckitude from nearly every airline now so I'm not sure that they're all that much worse overall. One thing I will say is that we had several problems with them with checked at the gate luggage back in the day; i.e. baby strollers & the like. They seem to have a knack for damaging that sort of thing but these days I'm not sure whether that's even something you're allowed to do anymore between security & new restrictions on luggage amounts, so it may not even be an issue.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

but you can get suckitude from nearly every airline now so I'm not sure that they're all that much worse overall. .

QFT
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

love airtranny
Old 06-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
CraigSca
Pro Starter

It's my understanding that all their planes are the new 717s. They look like old MD-80s, but they're brand new. I took the family on them once, and the trip was without incident. I would fly them again.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
love airtranny

Motto: A surprise in the skies?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-07-2009 at 07:20 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Thanks everyone. Guess I'm going to give them a try (assuming my vacation request is approved tomorrow.) The XMRadio does sound very nice.

I can't remember if they provide the headphones.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-07-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #22
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
About the only negative I've had with AirTran versus other airlines is that when flying in & out of Atlanta (because it's a Delta hub) their gate assignments are pretty shitty, like on the ass end of the airport instead of the easiest to reach after clearing security. They're almost in a different county than the rest of Hartsfield (or that's how it feels when you're rushing to make a flight).

QFT.

That's really my only problem with Airtran. Not only are you often on the furthest terminal from the airport entrance, but the gate is usually at either far end of that terminal.

However, it's worth it for the difference in cost for me not to be a lazy fuck and walk another couple hundred yards.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #23
revrew
Team Chaplain

My first experience with Air Tran was awful - got stuck in LaGuardia for almost 10 hours while other flights left for Atlanta ahead of us, etc. etc. Passengers irate, almost ready to riot. And New Yorkers to boot. 4 flights of New Yorkers stuck at one gate in LaGuardia for 10 hours. Not pretty.

Though the gate crew were unusually professional in the face of a mob of angry idiots, it really was the result of the airline's screwup.

That said, they granted us free round trip tix to anywhere in U.S. good for the next year. We used them and had best vacation of our lives. So, 50/50 experience for us.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #24
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I'll be having a 3 hour lay over in Atlanta both ways. Only downside to the flight as I prefer to fly non-stop when possible, but it still seems worthwhile.

Isn't it incredibly expensive to fly to AC?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

Yes, it's pretty pricey. Most people like to fly into Philly and just rent a car for the short drive over.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #26
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I have family in Atlanta, and they have used AirTran several times over the past couple of years to travel between here and there without incident.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #27
miked
College Starter

Live in ATL, wife works for an unnamed ATL airline that is not Airtran and I've flown them a few times for business. Never any problems, in fact, better than my experience on United. Really, if you just need to get where you are going and don't need to feel like you are flying your personal gulfstream, quite a few of the low cost carriers will do.

One thing though, I'm not sure if they have free beverage service though I could be wrong. I seem to remember the cashless cabin (they had it before most) and certain things costing some loot. But then again, I was on business and probably didn't care.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

Actually, it is almost 100 dollars cheaper than any other flight I can find from New Orleans to Philly. Of course, this is the only option that includes a "discount" airline. The Air Tran flight is about 300 dollars from New Orleans to AC with the 1 stop in Atlanta.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-08-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Actually, it is almost 100 dollars cheaper than any other flight I can find from New Orleans to Philly. Of course, this is the only option that includes a "discount" airline. The Air Tran flight is about 300 dollars from New Orleans to AC with the 1 stop in Atlanta.

Yikes. Guess it just depends on where you're coming from then.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #30
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
My first experience with Air Tran was awful - got stuck in LaGuardia for almost 10 hours while other flights left for Atlanta ahead of us, etc. etc. Passengers irate, almost ready to riot. And New Yorkers to boot. 4 flights of New Yorkers stuck at one gate in LaGuardia for 10 hours. Not pretty.

Though the gate crew were unusually professional in the face of a mob of angry idiots, it really was the result of the airline's screwup.

That said, they granted us free round trip tix to anywhere in U.S. good for the next year. We used them and had best vacation of our lives. So, 50/50 experience for us.

Airtran tends to have one gate at most airports they service other than Atlanta where they are based. This means that:

1) Almost all of their flights go through Atlanta
2) If there's a delay anywhere along your route, you're pretty much screwed.

For example, say you're flying to New York but the Airtran plane currently in New York is having a mechanical problem. Even though your plane in Atlanta is perfectly fine, you can't go anywhere until the NY plane leaves.

For any other airline, this isn't a problem. They just go to an open gate. Airtran doesn't have that option and as a result, the delays pile up, especially if there's weather in Atlanta.

In summary, cheap prices, but don't fly them if you're on a schedule.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #31
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Airtran tends to have one gate at most airports they service other than Atlanta where they are based. This means that:

1) Almost all of their flights go through Atlanta
2) If there's a delay anywhere along your route, you're pretty much screwed.

For example, say you're flying to New York but the Airtran plane currently in New York is having a mechanical problem. Even though your plane in Atlanta is perfectly fine, you can't go anywhere until the NY plane leaves.

For any other airline, this isn't a problem. They just go to an open gate. Airtran doesn't have that option and as a result, the delays pile up, especially if there's weather in Atlanta.

In summary, cheap prices, but don't fly them if you're on a schedule.

I know AirTran is slowly building up a supporting hub at Baltimore/Washington International Airport.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #32
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:

Support staff on the ground (ticket agents, baggage people, etc) are maybe a little lower quality too but you can get suckitude from nearly every airline now so I'm not sure that they're all that much worse overall. One thing I will say is that we had several problems with them with checked at the gate luggage back in the day; i.e. baby strollers & the like. They seem to have a knack for damaging that sort of thing but these days I'm not sure whether that's even something you're allowed to do anymore between security & new restrictions on luggage amounts, so it may not even be an issue.

True, but at least there is a smoking lounge near the Air Tran gates... not that EF really cares about that.