Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

LET'S GO 'CUSE!!! (lacrosse title game)

SU down 2 at the half but we can certainly come back for title #11!

Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

unfucking believable final 20 seconds to tie it and send the game to oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovertime!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

woooooooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
hoopsguy
General Manager

Syracuse get the win? I have them in the Streak and the NCAA.com update link still shows them down 9-8 with :26 seconds to play.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

9-8 with 20 seconds to go, Cornell with the ball... SU gets the turnover and an insane goal with 4 seconds left to tie it then win in OT. Watch the highlights on sportscenter to see the amazing ending.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sick.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Very sick. Will end up on "all-time greatest sports finishes" videos.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
9-8 with 20 seconds to go, Cornell with the ball... SU gets the turnover and an insane goal with 4 seconds left to tie it then win in OT. Watch the highlights on sportscenter to see the amazing ending.

Can the goal beat the goal scored by Northwestern against Penn in the ladies semifinal in OT?

I know little about the outdoor game. Is the OT in mens like the ladies where whoever wins the faceoff basically waits for time to expire to get a shot with seconds left? Pretty lame to be honest.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sportscenter showing the highlight now.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Man, that's a painful choke. The goal didn't even look that amazing, it was really the long pass that setup the tying goal that really did it. And all Cornell had to do was run out the clock, but they got sloppy, their defense broke down and ugh. That stinks and the bus ride home back to Ithaca will be pretty terrible.

Hope the hot trucks make a special appearance for them, it'll be a long night to console themselves over this one. Ugh.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-25-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

The Cornell coach really fucked them in my opinion. He could have taken a timeout to setup the final clear, he SHOULD have called timeout when they were in trouble trying to clear with longsticks, he should have instructed them and been yelling at them to just chuck the ball down to their offensive end, he should have called timeout in OT to setup a play
Old 05-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Can the goal beat the goal scored by Northwestern against Penn in the ladies semifinal in OT?

I know little about the outdoor game. Is the OT in mens like the ladies where whoever wins the faceoff basically waits for time to expire to get a shot with seconds left? Pretty lame to be honest.

I didn't see the women's shot, men's don't play like that (tho I wouldn't be surprised to see that tactic employed by a big underdog but Cornell WAS the 5 seed). Cornell acually won the faceoff and got 1st offensive possession then they got stripped by a pole.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't see the women's shot, men's don't play like that (tho I wouldn't be surprised to see that tactic employed by a big underdog but Cornell WAS the 5 seed). Cornell acually won the faceoff and got 1st offensive possession then they got stripped by a pole.

Penn had taken a 1 goal lead in the 1st OT with a few seconds left. Northwestern got the ball with about 8 seconds left and moved up field. A shot was saved to the ground and Northwestern's leading scorer dove to the ground, picked up the ball and shot it for the goal with about half a second left.

I saw replay of the game at about 3 in the morning the other day and my description really does not do it justice. It all happened so quick that at first I had no idea how the goal was scored until seeing the replay. It was unexpectedly jaw dropping.

I haven't been able to find a link to the replay anywhere but will post it if I can find it.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Penn had taken a 1 goal lead in the 1st OT with a few seconds left. Northwestern got the ball with about 8 seconds left and moved up field. A shot was saved to the ground and Northwestern's leading scorer dove to the ground, picked up the ball and shot it for the goal with about half a second left.

I saw replay of the game at about 3 in the morning the other day and my description really does not do it justice. It all happened so quick that at first I had no idea how the goal was scored until seeing the replay. It was unexpectedly jaw dropping.

I haven't been able to find a link to the replay anywhere but will post it if I can find it.

Five straight titles is astounding, here's the story of a little girl who had cancer that the team adopted in April of 2005 en route to their first national title of the run. Pretty good stuff.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-25-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

CBS College Sports All-Access

At about 5:30 of the highlights of the semi final against Penn.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, I guess I was late on that one.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yours was a direct link, so I deleted the one I had.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

ahh, men's lax is 1st goal in OT wins. 4 minute periods until someone scores so you could in theory win the faceoff then hold the ball for 4 mins trying to get the only shot of that OT period.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Watched this earlier today. Best Lacrosse game I've ever seen!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The Cornell coach really fucked them in my opinion. He could have taken a timeout to setup the final clear, he SHOULD have called timeout when they were in trouble trying to clear with longsticks, he should have instructed them and been yelling at them to just chuck the ball down to their offensive end, he should have called timeout in OT to setup a play
Disagree here. Syracuse looked disorganized with their ride package, and a smart team like Cornell can (and did) get play started before Syracuse even set up, plus they were 15 of 18 clearing up to that point. Once the longsticks were in trouble (and blatantly warding, but they've apparently stopped calling that in lacrosse now) he couldn't call timeout (you need to have possession in the offensive half) and in overtime you let that guy run unsettled and see if you can get a quick chance - Syd Smith just made an absurd, perfect check. The Cornell defensemen messed up by cutting to the middle on the clear after beating Nims, then after they lost possession by trying to win the ground ball instead of just checking sticks and waiting for the 20-second call, and the goalie definitely should have come out and blasted Nims - even if you get there early and are flagged, they take the ball out on the side with 4 seconds left. Yet still, it took Keough throwing a behind the back pass while falling away from the goal directly into Abbott's stick cutting toward goal, who then got double teamed and still threw a pass directly through the stick of another defender - between him and the goalie there are 2 guys within 5 feet of Nims when the pass is thrown, just get a body on him and check his stick instead of trying to play the ball.

Maybe it's just that I partially think college lacrosse has been ruined by over-coaching (the disappearance of two-way middies and run n' gun teams, combined with the absurd pockets and an emphasis on 1v1 dodging to the extent that games turn into a battle of subbing for matchups and faceoffs becoming the biggest issue - at least the pocket issue should be helped next year) but I see nothing to blame on the coach in that last 30 seconds +OT. Syracuse just happened to make 4 phenomenal plays (Nims dive to strip the CU defender, Keough's pass, Abbott's pass, Smith's check).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Disagree here. Syracuse looked disorganized with their ride package, and a smart team like Cornell can (and did) get play started before Syracuse even set up, plus they were 15 of 18 clearing up to that point. Once the longsticks were in trouble (and blatantly warding, but they've apparently stopped calling that in lacrosse now) he couldn't call timeout (you need to have possession in the offensive half) and in overtime you let that guy run unsettled and see if you can get a quick chance - Syd Smith just made an absurd, perfect check. The Cornell defensemen messed up by cutting to the middle on the clear after beating Nims, then after they lost possession by trying to win the ground ball instead of just checking sticks and waiting for the 20-second call, and the goalie definitely should have come out and blasted Nims - even if you get there early and are flagged, they take the ball out on the side with 4 seconds left. Yet still, it took Keough throwing a behind the back pass while falling away from the goal directly into Abbott's stick cutting toward goal, who then got double teamed and still threw a pass directly through the stick of another defender - between him and the goalie there are 2 guys within 5 feet of Nims when the pass is thrown, just get a body on him and check his stick instead of trying to play the ball.

Maybe it's just that I partially think college lacrosse has been ruined by over-coaching (the disappearance of two-way middies and run n' gun teams, combined with the absurd pockets and an emphasis on 1v1 dodging to the extent that games turn into a battle of subbing for matchups and faceoffs becoming the biggest issue - at least the pocket issue should be helped next year) but I see nothing to blame on the coach in that last 30 seconds +OT. Syracuse just happened to make 4 phenomenal plays (Nims dive to strip the CU defender, Keough's pass, Abbott's pass, Smith's check).

In OT I def think he should have called a timeout once they got possession (Cornell). Set up your play and go for the win.

As far as end of regulation, I'm not totally up to date on all the latest rules with TOs , being in the offensive end is dumb but pretty irrelevant. The players should have been instructed, and the coacjes screaming, to just chuck the ball down to the offensive end. Their clear stats to that point don't matter, most teams but a halfass ride on all game and concede most clears but obviously that wasn't going to happen this time. Once the ball ended in the pole's stick he should have heaved it 5 miles in the air to the other end of the field and taken a TO if they got possession. Even if it goes out of bounds, now you can set up your defense and be in much better position than they were.

Yeah, the goalie should have crushed him and taken the penalty with 4 seconds left I agree.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 AM   #22
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
In OT I def think he should have called a timeout once they got possession (Cornell). Set up your play and go for the win.

As far as end of regulation, I'm not totally up to date on all the latest rules with TOs , being in the offensive end is dumb but pretty irrelevant. The players should have been instructed, and the coaches screaming, to just chuck the ball down to the offensive end. Their clear stats to that point don't matter, most teams but a halfass ride on all game and concede most clears but obviously that wasn't going to happen this time. Once the ball ended in the pole's stick he should have heaved it 5 miles in the air to the other end of the field and taken a TO if they got possession. Even if it goes out of bounds, now you can set up your defense and be in much better position than they were.
In OT everyone knew what Cornell's play will be - give it to Seibald and if he's forced to give it up, go to Glynn. I'd rather let them push unsettled and get a chance than call TO and let Syracuse set up a defense to deny those two guys. It's not the coaches fault that attackman ran half-speed and had poor stick protection. Sid Smith is an absolute beast, but the attackman wasn't under pressure - he was lazily running the ball to X and got stripped by the 1 wrap check thrown.

In regulation, absolutely Moyer should have Gilman'd it once he was in trouble, (and the coaches may very well have been yelling, but he was far sideline and it was pretty loud) or at least tried to dodge sideline. But, again, that guy is a 1st-team AA, and presumably a decently smart guy if he's at Cornell, and instead he makes a mistake I'd be embarassed if any of the HS kids I coach made and cuts to the middle of the field.

Maybe it's because this is only my first year coaching and I still treat it more like a player, but I hate the amount of micromanaging that goes on as a fan and even as a coach. At a certain point, you've got All Americans at an Ivy League school doing something they've done since they were 6 years old. If they don't have the presence of mind to chuck the ball downfield and not run to the middle, or check the guy on the crease with 5 seconds left, and don't have the ability to run the ball to X without being stripped - and then the other team makes miraculous plays, hey, you lost to the better team. It happens. Don't blame Tambroni any more than you'd give Desko credit for the comeback.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:37 AM   #23
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I saw the highlights on ESPN yesterday, and it must have been an absolute joy to watch as a Syracuse fan....Cornell, on the other hand...the devastation was apparent in the team after both the tying goal in regulation, and the game-winning goal. It must be an awful feeling.

I'm not a big lacrosse fan, but in my sports obsessed youth I would watch it whenever it was on TV. It seemed like everything centered around the city of Rochester for some reason, although that could purely be my own construct.

Great game, though.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #24
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In OT everyone knew what Cornell's play will be - give it to Seibald and if he's forced to give it up, go to Glynn. I'd rather let them push unsettled and get a chance than call TO and let Syracuse set up a defense to deny those two guys. It's not the coaches fault that attackman ran half-speed and had poor stick protection. Sid Smith is an absolute beast, but the attackman wasn't under pressure - he was lazily running the ball to X and got stripped by the 1 wrap check thrown.

In regulation, absolutely Moyer should have Gilman'd it once he was in trouble, (and the coaches may very well have been yelling, but he was far sideline and it was pretty loud) or at least tried to dodge sideline. But, again, that guy is a 1st-team AA, and presumably a decently smart guy if he's at Cornell, and instead he makes a mistake I'd be embarassed if any of the HS kids I coach made and cuts to the middle of the field.

Maybe it's because this is only my first year coaching and I still treat it more like a player, but I hate the amount of micromanaging that goes on as a fan and even as a coach. At a certain point, you've got All Americans at an Ivy League school doing something they've done since they were 6 years old. If they don't have the presence of mind to chuck the ball downfield and not run to the middle, or check the guy on the crease with 5 seconds left, and don't have the ability to run the ball to X without being stripped - and then the other team makes miraculous plays, hey, you lost to the better team. It happens. Don't blame Tambroni any more than you'd give Desko credit for the comeback.

Even Tamboni admitted postgame that the coaching staff didn't manage the clock as well as it could have. It's not the sole reason they lost but you have to remember that SU has been there before and Cornell hasn't. Cornell hasn't had to deal with those type of situations (championship game pressure) and they hadn't been down all game. I'm sorry, but if I'm coach I call timeout to setup my offense in OT. The whole sequence at the end of regulation shows why you take the timeout in OT, they are doing things in pressure situations they normally don't do. Calm them down, run your offense, and win the game IMO.

Most of Cornell's offense was settled from what I remember after long possessions so I would have hung my hat with that.

I agree on the micromanaging part. After playing HS and D1, then coaching youth I prefer the HS game as I think it's more fluid and truer to the sport but still enjoy the college game immensly.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #25
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I saw the highlights on ESPN yesterday, and it must have been an absolute joy to watch as a Syracuse fan....Cornell, on the other hand...the devastation was apparent in the team after both the tying goal in regulation, and the game-winning goal. It must be an awful feeling.

I'm not a big lacrosse fan, but in my sports obsessed youth I would watch it whenever it was on TV. It seemed like everything centered around the city of Rochester for some reason, although that could purely be my own construct.

Great game, though.

Heh, about an hour and half east of rochester

SU won D1, Lemoyne lost in the DII title game, Cortland won DIII and OCC wnon JUCO. Not as good as a few years ago when CNY swept the titles but still pretty good
Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #26
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The HS team I coach just came back from 4 down in the 4th in the state quarterfinals. Got it to within 2 about halfway thru the 4th, within 1 about 1:30 to go. Lost the ball with a chance to tie on a great overhead check, so they had it off a timeout in our end with :28 seconds left. Double-teamed the ball, the guy split it and stupidly went to the cage and took the shot on the empty net. Our goalie was shutting off in the corner, sprinted over and made a full extension diving save with ~12 seconds left. Outlet to our AA defenseman (playing with a cracked vertebrae), made 2 spin moves at the top of their box, somehow held onto the ball while getting hit in the back on both, and dished it down to the crease for the tying goal with 3.7 seconds left. Pandemonium ensued, the refs messed up because we had about 12 guys run onto the field so they should have called delay of game. We missed our first chance in OT, opponent brought it down ripped one low-to-low our goalie easily picked up. Outlet, take it to X, and one of our middies (who was actually on Cornell's sideline for their collapse b/c he's being recruited by them) came around and scored 3 minutes in.

Of course, our reward is a game in 3 days with the 22-0 juggernaut who starts 4 All-Americans and has beaten both #2 and #3 in the state by 7 goals apiece, but we'll worry about that tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #27
Butter
Coordinator

Dude that's freakin' awesome. Congrats!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
Schmidty
Coordinator

I really like Lacrosse. I wish it was on more.

I remember watching the Detroit Turbo back in the early 90's and loving it. I actually think Lacrosse would be more palatable to the average American than hockey is.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #29
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I really like Lacrosse. I wish it was on more.

I remember watching the Detroit Turbo back in the early 90's and loving it. I actually think Lacrosse would be more palatable to the average American than hockey is.

Turbos suck!!!!

I have a link of one of the wildest games in MILL history. Detroit at Philly in 94. I'll post it later tonight.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #30
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Dude that's freakin' awesome. Congrats!
Thanks, and it's not over yet Basically the players had to play a perfect game, and they came through Concord-Carlisle stuns mighty Medfield in OT - BostonHerald.com
Quote:
Senior attackman Jon Nessa completed a hat trick with nine seconds to play in overtime to lift Concord-Carlisle to a 6-5 upset victory over defending Division 2 EMass champion Medfield in a Div. 2 East semifinal yesterday at Fisher Field in Medfield.
On to the EMass final against #3, who came back from 6 down in the 3rd to win in OT. Great lacrosse comebacks all over the place.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:09 AM   #31
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks, and it's not over yet Basically the players had to play a perfect game, and they came through Concord-Carlisle stuns mighty Medfield in OT - BostonHerald.com On to the EMass final against #3, who came back from 6 down in the 3rd to win in OT. Great lacrosse comebacks all over the place.

Fantastic, this is amazing. Congrats!
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote