Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Once in a lifetime vacations

Well, not really once in a lifetime...but for a middle-income family there are certain vacations that you take once every 10+ years. This year we're taking one of those vacations. We made reservations at our travel agency for our cruise this July from San Diego to Mexico. It's interesting to note that the price when we called and the price for the travel agency (including fees) is exactly the same...and lower than online (because we can't get a military discount online).

What makes it a 10+ year vacation is that it's going to run us about $6k for the cruise and associated good stuff during the cruise. The most we've spent before was our trip to Disney which cost us about $4k. Last year we spent a couple days at Schlitterbahn, which was a small vacation for us. There are certain things we want to do before my oldest son graduates from High School like Disney, a cruise, trip to Europe, etc. As the cost of vacationing goes up, what are the "once in a lifetime" vacations or the vacations that you MUST do before your kids grow up in order to "expose" them to things that most families have done?

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

We never had much money when I was growing up, so now I'm 25 and have never gone overseas. I'll be changing all that this October though with a 2 week trip to Japan, which is probably going to end up costing around $4,000-$5,000. Then next year I plan to head to the States for a week in LA and a week in Virginia to visit my girlfriend's family, and then the year after that we plan on going to Europe for a few weeks.

I guess I'm trying to make up for the vacations I missed out on when I was a kid.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

that's awesome. You really can't put a price on time spent as a family.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Craptacular
College Starter

My kids are three months old, so I've got some time to plan. One thing I'd love to do when they are old enough to hike around is rent an RV, take the Siberians and the kids, and drive to western Canada and/or Alaska. Go one way through southern Canada to see Banff, Edmonton, etc, and come back through the northern U.S., and visit Coeur D'Alene, Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc. We'd need two or three weeks, but my wife and I love "road trip" vacations, so hopefully the kids will too.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:16 AM   #5
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I think the "road trip" through Yellowstone, Rushmore, Badlands, (of course, don't forget Little Bighorn), is great. I would however wait unit the kids are old enough (9-12) so they can appreciate it a bit more. I've done it once when I was an 8-year old kid and once with my wife before we were married and loved it both times.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
We never had much money when I was growing up, so now I'm 25 and have never gone overseas. I'll be changing all that this October though with a 2 week trip to Japan, which is probably going to end up costing around $4,000-$5,000. Then next year I plan to head to the States for a week in LA and a week in Virginia to visit my girlfriend's family, and then the year after that we plan on going to Europe for a few weeks.

I guess I'm trying to make up for the vacations I missed out on when I was a kid.

Yeah, i'd never been overseas myself, and just spent 4 weeks in Japan + 1 week in Hawaii (Oahu). I actually don't have the final numbers in front of me because the Hawaii part was unplanned, but I spent probably 4,500 on the trip. It was well worth it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:33 AM   #7
DougWyatt
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Yeah, i'd never been overseas myself, and just spent 4 weeks in Japan + 1 week in Hawaii (Oahu). I actually don't have the final numbers in front of me because the Hawaii part was unplanned, but I spent probably 4,500 on the trip. It was well worth it.

??

For real ? 900 bucks a week for Japan and Hawaii ? Including Air fare, hotel, food, entertainment, souveniors ... everything ?

Wow
DougWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 AM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWyatt View Post
??

For real ? 900 bucks a week for Japan and Hawaii ? Including Air fare, hotel, food, entertainment, souveniors ... everything ?

Wow

A big key to the cheapness of Japan was being able to stay over 3 weeks for free at my friends' house. Even if you figure staying in the cheapest of hostels, that's about 800+ in savings.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This thread and the response to my post got me curious to actually take a very close look at my credit card and bank statements to get the final talley on my trip.

$4,905.21

That was for 4 weeks (30 days) in Japan and 7 nights in Honolulu, Hawaii.

I had actually come in slighty under my expected budget for the Japan trip, but my day-of flight cancellation led to an impromptu trip to Hawaii, so I ended up spending 900 more than originally anticipated. Again, well worth it.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
I think the "road trip" through Yellowstone, Rushmore, Badlands, (of course, don't forget Little Bighorn), is great. I would however wait unit the kids are old enough (9-12) so they can appreciate it a bit more. I've done it once when I was an 8-year old kid and once with my wife before we were married and loved it both times.

Growing up, we drove to Florida almost every year (Dad's boss let us use their winter house on the beach for free ), often taking different routes to see new things. We also took road trips to Alabama and Colorado a couple of times. My wife and I had a semi-roadtrip for our honeymoon, as we flew to Denver and ended up in Vegas via Glenwood Springs, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, and Flagstaff. Each of our last two vacations has been to fly somewhere out west (San Fran and Seattle) and do big loops to different areas within a few hundred miles.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular View Post
My kids are three months old, so I've got some time to plan. One thing I'd love to do when they are old enough to hike around is rent an RV, take the Siberians and the kids, and drive to western Canada and/or Alaska. Go one way through southern Canada to see Banff, Edmonton, etc, and come back through the northern U.S., and visit Coeur D'Alene, Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc. We'd need two or three weeks, but my wife and I love "road trip" vacations, so hopefully the kids will too.

Banff and Jasper are beautiful in the summer...you won't be sorry!!!!!

Growing up, my brother and I played competitive sports year round and if we weren't playing sports, we were up at the cottage...usually for at least a month every summer...whether we liked it or not. So, we never got to goto Disneyland or anything like that...all of the "vacation" money was spent on out-of-town tournaments, equipment, and all the other associated costs for hockey and baseball. Sure, I was a little jealous of friends who would take off somewhere hot and sunny during Spring Break, but at the same time, I couldn't wait to hit the ice for whatever tournament we had that week.

Fast forward about 15 years...my wife and I took our honeymoon a year late and spent a month in Europe during the summer of 2005...it was well worth the wait!!!! We both can't wait to go back, but now that we've started a family...we both know it'll be a long time before we head back.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You do realize, RA, that cruising from San Diego down to Mexico will take about, oh, 12 minutes?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #13
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You do realize, RA, that cruising from San Diego down to Mexico will take about, oh, 12 minutes?

Heh. Yeah. The trip is from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas to Ensenada and back to San Diego.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

i see some mention of yellowstone in here...
I'm thinking of going for a week this July, and doing a horse pack trip. Basically on the trail for 6 days / 5 nights.

Anyone have any advice for a trip to yellowstone, or a horse pack type trip?
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm hoping my "once in a lifetime" trip happens next Summer. I'm planning to check out as many ballparks as I can with my brother and some friends. Hit the East for a couple weeks, go back to work, then hit the West for a couple weeks later in the summer. Would love to see the two new New York stadiums, Fenway, Philadelphia, and some minor league parks along the way. Then ride down the California coast hitting those stadiums.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

If you can stomach watching the Pirates play, you should check out PNC Park in Pittsburgh. It is pretty awesome.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

Definitely want to see it. That looks like one of the best new stadiums out there.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #19
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Okay, everybody who talks about going to Hawaii and then says it was Oahu (especially Honolulu/Waikiki), you've never been to Hawaii. If you want to do a trip out there, you must go to Maui (with at least a couple of days on the Hana side), the Big Island (South Point and the green sand beach are excellent), Kauai for Waimea Canyon and of course Molokai for the leper colony, hot bread (just ask a local about it) and the ability to be away from everything while still have cell phone reception.

I lived on Molokai for 6 years, and there's nothing quite like a place with no 4 lane roads, no traffic lights etc. Add in the ferry that runs round trip to Maui for $85 and the small planes that go to the islands for a max of about $110, and you've got it made for cheap stays if you plan it well. I did a trip out there last year for less than 2k and was on three islands and rented cars the whole time.

Me: "So, cthomer, you ever been to Hawaii?"

cthomer: (glances back at HiFiRevival, who is standing behind him with a gun pointed at him) "No."
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I had my great vacation a couple of years ago. My parents took my wife and me to Italy. It was an absolutely priceless experience and I'm so grateful they invited us.

That said, we went quite a few of the "pile into the van" vacations growing up. We went to Colorado/New Mexico/Arizona 3 times with different things each time, Yellowstone once, and a trip up the east coast to DC/NYC/Philly. I really hope I have the opportunity to do similar things with kids once we have them.

Of course this year I have my mini trip planned for July with my wife and a friend: NYC, Cooperstown, Philly, and baseball in DC and Baltimore.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Add in the ferry that runs round trip to Maui for $85...

Didn't that ferry get shut down?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #22
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

My once in a lifetime was while i was in the millitary stationed in Germany. We took a trip to Berlin for 4 days. Just the initial drive thru what was then East Germany having to stop and multiple checkpoints was cool all by itself. You had a certain amount of time to go from checkpoint to checkpoint and once you got to the checkpoints the East German guards would check you out. Then once we got to Berlin being able to spray paint our names on the Berlin Wall was awesome. Finally spending the day in East Berlin checking out everything was priceless. What a different world it was on the other side of the wall.

Now that the wall has come down and things in Europe have completely changed this is truly a once in a lifetime trip.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Our trip like this was to New Zealand before the baby came. It didn't disappoint. I do hope we can go back sometime in the future.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #24
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The wife and I are looking at a trip to Vancouver and an Alaskan cruise, but that's probably a couple of years away. This summer, we're heading back to Bucc's stomping grounds.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #25
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Last year was my first real "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation... we rented a house on the Outer Banks for two weeks. I'd never actually taken two weeks off in a row before, and doubt I'll be able to do it again.

Now we're saving up for a Disney trip, but we probably won't take that for another two or three years.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Although I anticipate that we'll go back again at some point (so it's not truly once in a lifetime), our honeymoon to Tahiti was awesome. 10 days living in a bungelow on stilts over the water. If we wanted to snorkel, just grabbed the snorkel gear off the wall hooks, went to the back deck and jumped in the ocean. Fabulous stuff.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #27
tarcone
Coordinator

My once in a lifetime vacation has been in my mind since my 1st daughter was born. i have always wanted to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame. So when my oldest daughter hits 12 (my youngest will be 10) I am taking a Daddy and daughters trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Im leaving my wife at home and road tripping. My oldest daughter is 9 so I have a few years to plan it. A couple major league parks and some minor league baseball will have to be on the agenda. I may make a side trip to the football hall, but that one doesnt interest me as much.
This will definitely be a once in a lifetime trip.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The wife and I are looking at a trip to Vancouver and an Alaskan cruise, but that's probably a couple of years away. This summer, we're heading back to Bucc's stomping grounds.

Yeah, my wife and I almost did that for our 10th anniversary. Instead, it is looking like a goal for the 15th or 20th as the money went towards some home improvements instead.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
BYU 14
Coordinator

Probably the best investment we have ever made was to buy a deeded timeshare, so we can pass it on to the kids eventually. Only $7,000 plus year maintenance, which is like $140.00. It is based in Vegas so it has high trade out value and has already paid for itself, plus we get air fare deals and free getaway weekends once or twice a year.

Our Hawaii trip cost less than $1500 for a week using the time share and free airfare we had. Over $800 of that cost went to tours, events etc.

Without the timeshare it would have been about $4500. It is allowing us to do things we couldn't otherwise afford and will be in our family permanently because it is deeded. The best part is knowing this will continue to allow our kids and their kids opportunities to experience things they may not have otherwise been able to.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #30
Danny
Head Coach

We don't have kids yet, but I know my wife and I want to travel all around Europe and also a RV road trip type all around the US as well. Right now funds are limited, so this year we traveled to Napa Valley and will go on a weekend trip someplace new in CA in august.

Then of course at some point we would like to see other countries like Japan, Australia, etc... as well.

As a kid I didn't travel much, went to San Diego a bunch, vegas, the grand canyon and one mexican cruise. I've been to texas myself and now pretty much everywhere in Cali outside of San Francisco which we'll have to go to sometime.

Last edited by Danny : 05-28-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #31
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Probably the best investment we have ever made was to buy a deeded timeshare, so we can pass it on to the kids eventually. Only $7,000 plus year maintenance, which is like $140.00. It is based in Vegas so it has high trade out value and has already paid for itself, plus we get air fare deals and free getaway weekends once or twice a year.

Our Hawaii trip cost less than $1500 for a week using the time share and free airfare we had. Over $800 of that cost went to tours, events etc.

Without the timeshare it would have been about $4500. It is allowing us to do things we couldn't otherwise afford and will be in our family permanently because it is deeded. The best part is knowing this will continue to allow our kids and their kids opportunities to experience things they may not have otherwise been able to.

My parents have two timeshares with Marriott and that's basically what we use to trade in for places we want to stay every year. So we get lodging for free on our vacations, assuming we can find something where we want to go. Only downside is having to plan like 9-12 months in advance.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #32
Danny
Head Coach

Has anyone done a RV trip across the country? How long does it usually take? Is it a lot of fun? What does it cost?

And what about a good Europe trip to cover most of the countries? Cost? Time needed?

Last edited by Danny : 05-28-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

What's the deal with cruises, I mean you are locked on a ship most of the time so what's the fun in that? The only real cruise I could ever see us making would be the Alaskan one since that's not really a place you can drive easily.

Yellowstone is nice, Zion and Bryce are awesome, Grand Canyon is really cool. The Grand Tetons is a MUST if you go to Yellowstone, they are just so beautiful.

Last edited by DanGarion : 05-28-2009 at 01:15 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #34
finketr
College Prospect

I agree about the Alaskan Cruise.. It was awesome and fun. You may be locked on a ship during night-time hours but most of the time you're in a port during the daylight hours and can get out and about.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #35
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Banff and Jasper are beautiful in the summer...you won't be sorry!!!!!

Growing up, my brother and I played competitive sports year round and if we weren't playing sports, we were up at the cottage...usually for at least a month every summer...whether we liked it or not. So, we never got to goto Disneyland or anything like that...all of the "vacation" money was spent on out-of-town tournaments, equipment, and all the other associated costs for hockey and baseball. Sure, I was a little jealous of friends who would take off somewhere hot and sunny during Spring Break, but at the same time, I couldn't wait to hit the ice for whatever tournament we had that week.

Fast forward about 15 years...my wife and I took our honeymoon a year late and spent a month in Europe during the summer of 2005...it was well worth the wait!!!! We both can't wait to go back, but now that we've started a family...we both know it'll be a long time before we head back.

I would agree. Many people miss jasper when they visit but I prefer it to Banff because its less touristy. I would go Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Columbia Ice Fields, jasper, then take Hwy16 to Edmonton.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #36
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The Wife and I are taking 3.5 weeks off starting in mid-september to drive all the way around the USA.