Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

2016 College Baseball thread

(Did not see a 2016 thread, please merge mods if there is one)

Coastal Carolina picked up its final Big South championship yesterday beating the 7th seed Liberty in the finals. Kinda bittersweet for me, but they are moving on to better things in the Sun Belt next season. Had no idea how they would do this season, since they had so many unknowns coming into the season. But all the injury questions turned into positive answers for them and, at least in the Big South, they had no equals this year. They are ranked in the Top 20, and wait till Monday to see if they get to host a regional.

Keep an eye out for pitcher Jason Bilous. The freshman, coming off Tommy John surgery, turned down a $600,000 draft bonus from the Dodgers as a 29th round pick to come to Coastal, and showed yesterday why the Dodgers wanted him in a 1-0 win vs Liberty.

So is "your" team going to make the post-season this year?

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

The pac 12 was baaad this year. At one point Utah was leading and we're like 4-12 in non conference. At another point, two games separated first and last place
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas had to win the Big 12 tournament to make it to the CWS regionals. They fell one game short of playing for the chance. TCU and West Virginia will be playing for the Big 12 title this afternoon.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Texas had to win the Big 12 tournament to make it to the CWS regionals. They fell one game short of playing for the chance. TCU and West Virginia will be playing for the Big 12 title this afternoon.

Its amazing how far WVU's baseball program has come since joining the Big 12. A laughingstock program how has a beautiful new ballpark, an indoor facility in the works, and just played for the Big 12 title with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

So is "your" team going to make the post-season this year?

Looking good. That Monte Lee might be a good hire...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa made it to the B1G championship as the 8 seed. Fun too watch.

Iowa beat OSU earlier in the tourney scring 4 in the bottom of the ninth and one in the bottom of the 10th to beat OSU.

This time Iowa scores 3 in the bottom of the 8th to tie it. But OSU scores in the top of the ninth,

Ohio St. is the B1G Champ.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
bronconick
College Starter

Western Michigan knocks out ranked Kent State to win the MAC tournament with a losing record. They'll probably give up 30+ to a seeded team next Friday
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

NC State survived a brutal schedule and has already been chosen as regional host, so yeah, they're in.

(all of which means that they'll find some way to either blow the regional or the super regional, considering they've only ever made the World Series twice in program history)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #9
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina was not picked to host a regional even though 5 teams lower in the rankings were picked. Not sure how they determine hosts, but I suspect it had something to do with the Big South's weakness this season, and their non-conference record.

I suspect they will end up in either Clemson's, South Carolina's or NC State's regional. South Carolina bombed in the SEC tourney again while Clemson won the ACC, so I guess I hope its South Carolina
Old 05-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Coastal Carolina was not picked to host a regional even though 5 teams lower in the rankings were picked. Not sure how they determine hosts, but I suspect it had something to do with the Big South's weakness this season, and their non-conference record.

I suspect they will end up in either Clemson's, South Carolina's or NC State's regional. South Carolina bombed in the SEC tourney again while Clemson won the ACC, so I guess I hope its South Carolina

Instead, you end up as a #2 in Raleigh (along with St. Mary's & Navy)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well somewhat surprisingly Coastal Carolina did not draw into either the Clemson or South Carolina regionals. In fact they are in the other half of the bracket. They did get in the NCST regional, so not too far away. Other than NCState looks like a "easy" regional...which now means they will be the first team eliminated in it But on paper at least Saint Mary's and Navy don't seem like much of a threat. And they have won 7 more than NC State.

2016 NCAA baseball tournament schedule and results

somewhat of a controversial regional home sites selected-all of them are in the South or Mid-East. Furthest west regionals are in Texas.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

Woops beat me to it Jon. Pretty happy with where they ended up if they didn't get to host a regional themselves. Are you pulling for Georgia Tech?

Also in the news, longtime head coach Augie Garrido is out in Texas.

Texas Longhorns' Augie Garrido steps down as baseball coach
Old 05-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

somewhat of a controversial regional home sites selected-all of them are in the South or Mid-East. Furthest west regionals are in Texas.

Not sure how controversial it really is though, it was a pretty bad year out west.

The best RPI west of Texas belonged to Arizona (21) and UCSB (23).

The next best Pac12 teams were ASU & OSU, 43 & 44. The official conference champ, Utah, was 93rd.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Woops beat me to it Jon. Pretty happy with where they ended up if they didn't get to host a regional themselves. Are you pulling for Georgia Tech?

My rooting for GT is there, though largely muted by the simple lack of any expectations at all. Given Florida's struggles in the SEC tourney, I wouldn't be overly surprised if UConn or even Bethune-Cookman ended up advancing out of that regional.

We'll also keep a closer eye than usual on the Ole Miss regional this year.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

such an optimist
Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Also in the news, longtime head coach Augie Garrido is out in Texas.

Texas Longhorns' Augie Garrido steps down as baseball coach

He was definitely a legend. He was about the only coach that could have followed Gustafson. It will be interesting to see who they end up getting to replace him, considering that since 1911, Texas has only had 4 baseball coaches.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 05-31-2016 at 08:36 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #17
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Really hoping UVA can repeat. They have a home regional with awful teams, so they should advance. After that, who knows? They were a big surprise last season, so why not again?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #18
Thomkal
Head Coach

And a lot of games done or underway. Coastal Carolina beat St.Mary's 5-2, Georgia Tech lost to UCONN, Virginia wins easily. Vanderbilt is playing in its regional after one of their freshman pitchers drowned Thursday. Clemson currently losing to W Carolina 6-1 in the third.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

well that didn't last long. Clemson up 10-6 now.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #20
booradley
High School Varsity

Wake 5-3 over Minnesota. First tourney appearance since 2007. Go Deacs!
Old 06-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #21
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Beer time is my favorite time
Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
well that didn't last long. Clemson up 10-6 now.

They won 24-10. so glad Coastal did not end up in their bracket. The much anticipated (in SC at least) Clemson vs South Carolina 2nd round match took a big hit though as SC lost to #4 seed Rhode Island. Coastal will play NC State after they defeated Navy 13-8. Bit worried about the matchup as CCU played NCST earlier this season and the starting pitcher that will be used for this game got banged up pretty badly. Poor Vanderbilt, after having to mourn for their teammate, got rained out and did not play. Biggest shocker however was Utah upsetting Ole Miss in the first round.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

Georgia Tech and South Carolina stay alive in their regionals with wins. Vandy not looking like their heads are in the game right now losing 13-1.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And instead of GT being the quick & easy out, it's Ole Miss. A big part of their success all season turned into a postseason weakness, blowing a lead in the SEC semifinal, then giving up four runs in an extra-inning loss to Utah, and today giving up two in the 9th to lose to Tulane.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #25
Thomkal
Head Coach

big shocker there
Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #26
Thomkal
Head Coach

another shocker-East Carolina has beaten current national champion Virginia.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #27
Thomkal
Head Coach

well after picking up 24 runs yesterday, Clemson could only manage 2 against Oklahoma State. OKState didn't have that problem though picking up 12. Meanwhile, its a pitching duel in Raleigh through 5. Coastal leads 1-0, and so far that pitcher I was worried about has only given up 2 hits.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #28
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson is one of the worst fielding teams in the country.
They have to score a lot to win against top competition.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #29
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bad news, good news for Coastal Carolina. Bad news is that they are one of the many regionals affected by rain. First game yesterday was delayed at times, and then went into extra innings (won by Navy), then Coastal's game got delayed and finally pushed back to today.

The good news? They lead NC State 3-0 in the 9th inning when it got stopped. They have one on base and one out. So should they hold on there, they will not have to turn around and play another game right away. Pitching has been great and not overused, though they likely will not have the services of their top relief pitcher for the first game at least after he went several innings yesterday. 2 other games (and 1 more suspended) at least never even got started yesterday, so they are in tough shape. I think the Baton Rouge regional is the worse, as SE Louisiana and Rice have not played an inning yet.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal takes care of business, scoring an insurance run in the 9th, then closing out NCST. Huge deal for them to get some rest today and take on whoever wins the losers bracket. Virginia, after winning it all last season, is in danger of not getting out of their own regional this year. Currently losing to William and Mary in an elimination game 5-4 in the 8th inning. Ohio State losing to Wright State in an elimination game as well.

Weather continues to play havoc. Clemson won't play until at least 5pm cause of rain. Tallahassee regional also delayed currently.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #31
Thomkal
Head Coach

And it's over for Virginia. I'm sure Wade is very happy right now.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #32
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ohio State joins the losers pool. Georgia Tech, South Carolina leading in their elimination games. NC State not having any problems scoring runs against Navy-up 5-0.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ohio State joins the losers pool. Georgia Tech, South Carolina leading in their elimination games. NC State not having any problems scoring runs against Navy-up 5-0.

Vandy joins Ole Miss and UVA as a top seed that's done.

edit: they were actually out last night, blowing an 8-2 lead in a 9-8 loss to Washington

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-05-2016 at 01:43 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #34
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Vandy joins Ole Miss and UVA as a top seed that's done.

edit: they were actually out last night, blowing an 8-2 lead in a 9-8 loss to Washington

yeah feel so bad for Vandy-can understand why their hearts were not in it though.

UConn has tied it up against GaTech now
Old 06-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #35
Thomkal
Head Coach

GaTech hangs on to play another game...unfortunately for them, that game is against Florida.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #36
miked
College Starter

Go Jackets!
Old 06-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #37
Thomkal
Head Coach

South Carolina tries to match rival Clemson's high run total (24) but comes up 1 short in beating Rhode Island. They move on to play UNC-Wilmington for the title.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-05-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #38
Thomkal
Head Coach

as if the regionals didn't have enough rain problems, Tropical Storm Colin has formed in the Gulf of Mexico, and is going to cut across Florida around Tallahassee and then make its way up the Carolinas on Monday and Tuesday.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #39
Thomkal
Head Coach

Clemson's game against Western Carolina is now underway, as is South Carolina's game against UNCW. I have a feeling Coastal Carolina will be wishing they played today and maybe got their regional over with.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #40
Thomkal
Head Coach

Clemson wins easily and plays Oklahoma St tonight. South Carolina close to winning and getting and staying alive for a game tomorrow. Few teams have moved on to super regionals-Louisville, East Carolina.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #41
digamma
Torchbearer

Shout out to wade who may be in the midst of babydom, but Bill & Mary getting to the regional final has to have him cheering.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #42
Thomkal
Head Coach

Boston College and Florida State join the super regional party with Florida, TCU, and several others shortly. I think there is only one regional delayed right now. Baton Rouge of course.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-05-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #43
Thomkal
Head Coach

There are 6 regionals still going on. It appears that should Coastal win theirs, they will take on the winner of the Baton Rouge regional which still has an elimination game to play where the winner will take on LSU. Columbia regional is not starting till 6 pm, which seems silly given the weather is only going to get worse as the day goes on.

Coastal starts at 1 pm-may be on ESPNU. Coastal, LSU, UCSB, LA-Lafayette are the schools that might have to play 2 games today. (the winner of the elimination game in Baton Rouge may have to play a final game tomorrow I'm guessing if they beat LSU today.)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #44
Thomkal
Head Coach

Oklahoma State beat national seed Clemson last night, so no "Battle of the Carolinas" in the super regional (and South Carolina might not make it too)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #45
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Happy to see Miami clinch their regional with a walk-off in the bottom of the 9th.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #46
Butter
Coordinator

NC State's manager just lost his God damn mind and got tossed from a 1-0 game in the third inning for arguing balls and strikes.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #47
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
NC State's manager just lost his God damn mind and got tossed from a 1-0 game in the third inning for arguing balls and strikes.

It may have sent a spark through his players-they are up 7-0 in the fourth inning now.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-06-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #48
Thomkal
Head Coach

all but Columbia underway-no rain delays so far. NC State and Arizona looking like they will push it to another game.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #49
Thomkal
Head Coach

Game 1 over for Coastal-lost 8-1 will the rain hold off until Game 2 now?

I think they might go with the starting pitcher I mentioned earlier for this one, hope so
Old 06-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #50
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Wake 5-3 over Minnesota. First tourney appearance since 2007. Go Deacs!

Good Deacs indeed. At least we got one win in the regional. A&M looks really good unfortunately.