Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which of these would you like to see as a text sim?
College Baseball 10 18.18%
Nascar/F1/Indy/Other Car racing 18 32.73%
Track and Field 5 9.09%
Sailing 0 0%
Individual Olympic sports, ex: Swimming, or Speed Skating. 2 3.64%
A business sim 11 20.00%
A presidential sim 23 41.82%
A game about drug dealing 11 20.00%
Other Game Please state below 6 10.91%
All of these options suck 8 14.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2003, 03:57 AM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

What would you like to see turned into a text sim?

Note: this is not a poll asking which game jim should make next, but a poll asking what games you would like to see made into text sims.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:05 AM   #2
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Dola

If something is not on the list, please state below. Also please state how your vision of the perfect sim of that sport or event would happen.

Old 05-25-2003, 04:06 AM   #3
Airhog
Captain Obvious

JeeberDola-

I would like to see a sim about paintball. It could be pretty complex and fun. I would also like to see a sim about bmx, maybe one day I will learn visual basic and code one

Last edited by Airhog : 05-25-2003 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:50 AM   #4
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Anything I will (try to) create myself.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:58 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

No offense Meep, but none of these really catch my fancy...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:12 AM   #6
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Jeeb, I voted for other game...
Old 05-25-2003, 05:42 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by MIJB#19
Jeeb, I voted for other game...

Geez, gotta lay off the beer. For some reason I thought you started the poll, Meep....

Old 05-25-2003, 05:55 AM   #8
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Get some sleep Jeeb, you're typing nonsense...
Old 05-25-2003, 06:20 AM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

High school football!
Old 05-25-2003, 07:27 AM   #10
Taur
High School Varsity

I am still waiting for a sports "Business" sim to come along. Where the bottom line is as important as winning!!! And, you have a usable financial budget.

Although a sports agent game would be fun too.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:29 AM   #11
3ric
College Starter

Other: Horse racing or golf.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:59 AM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Horse racing - a quality management sim, using the text sim capabilities for record-keeping, stats management, and so forth. Set it in the North American thoroughbred racing milieu. Manage a stable of horses, compete against regional or national competition in the various classes of horses, from claimers on up to big-time stakes horses. Include year-end competitions for each class, a la the Breeders' Cup, and a substantial series of good prep races for 2yos and 3yos leading up to a major evet or series of events in each Spring, a la and Triple Crown.

Basically, a well-executed Hooves of Thunder or QuarterPole Plus. Add in the ability to keep track of the competition (some kind of leader boards for horses, stables, trainers, etc) and some realistic background AI... and this would be a hell of a sim.

What we don't need is another half-assed attempt at this genre. Betting on fake races with pathetic information just isn't fun. Making complex decisions about managing a stable just might be for a lot of people.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:59 AM   #13
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by ardent enthusiast
High school football!
You beat me to it. Think of the potential feature list:
  • Booster Club--Can they raise enough money to hire another assistant coach or two? Do we get them to raise the money for an on-campus stadium (or renovations to the existing one), or continue to play in the generic county-owned facility? Can we build a new weight room?
  • Teachers--Do they like football and give your boys a break in the classroom (thereby hurting their academic rating when they get imported into TCY ), or pile the homework on during the season, distracting your boys from the more important business on the gridiron.
  • The Whims Of High School Kids--Distractions such as a new girlfriend, being recruited (or NOT being recruited--you know how fragile those egos can get...), trouble at home, and how to deal with your typical I'm-17-years-old-and-I-know-it-all-and-can't-be-coached jerks.
  • Parents--Will silly things like family vacations and summer jobs take precedence over summer weightlifting?
  • Relationship With The Basketball Coach--Does he want your two-sport kids to practice on Saturdays in November and December, exposing them to potential injury during the playoffs?
  • Recruiting--Of course, some of our players would be recruited by colleges, and I discussed that above. No, what I'm talking about here is recruiting guys to come live in your city (and play for your team). It always helps when a large local business is owned by a big-time supporter of your team, and he's willing to give a job to the father of that QB from the next town over if they'll move the family into your district, thereby making him immediately eligible to lead your school to glory.
  • Adolescence--Is that 14-year-old 6'2", 145 pound freshman gonna be able to beef up and become the tight end I've dreamed of, or is he just gonna become a 6'6" skinny kid who isn't even strong enough to play in the post on the basketball team.
  • JV and Freshman Teams--Micromanage these yourself by settings lineups, etc. or let your trusted assistant coaches handle these. Make decisions about who plays at what level: Do you need that Sophomore cornerback to play Varsity and give you depth in the secondary (which might risk his development since he doesn't play that much), or do you leave him down at JV where he can play every snap?
I could go on and on, but I'll stop now.

Incidentally, methinks I'm going to write a real-life "dynasty report" this fall for the Tucker Tigers. They advanced to the state quarterfinals last year, and only had 10 Seniors on the team. They're expected to make a run at state, and they have at least two guys who'll likely be pretty heavily recruited. It could be an interesting real-time read.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-25-2003 at 08:00 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 12:31 PM   #14
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Horse racing - a quality management sim, using the text sim capabilities for record-keeping, stats management, and so forth. Set it in the North American thoroughbred racing milieu. Manage a stable of horses, compete against regional or national competition in the various classes of horses, from claimers on up to big-time stakes horses. Include year-end competitions for each class, a la the Breeders' Cup, and a substantial series of good prep races for 2yos and 3yos leading up to a major evet or series of events in each Spring, a la and Triple Crown.

Basically, a well-executed Hooves of Thunder or QuarterPole Plus. Add in the ability to keep track of the competition (some kind of leader boards for horses, stables, trainers, etc) and some realistic background AI... and this would be a hell of a sim.

What we don't need is another half-assed attempt at this genre. Betting on fake races with pathetic information just isn't fun. Making complex decisions about managing a stable just might be for a lot of people.

Would you like to see it with a simple engine that shows the races? or would you rather just sim the races?. Also I think you left one important thing out at least in my eyes, and that is breeding. It would be nice to know that you have really good genes in your horse.

Old 05-25-2003, 12:31 PM   #15
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
No offense Meep, but none of these really catch my fancy...

well thats why there is an other option, what kind of sim would catch your fancy?

Old 05-25-2003, 01:20 PM   #16
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand

How about starting a collective effort to write a full feature list for a game like this? This could lead to discussion on how to theoretically realize the core AI features, which might be quite interesting.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:37 PM   #17
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'm still waiting for a good political sim.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 01:41 PM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

No hockey sim listed?

I don't recall ever seeing a decent one available.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 01:57 PM   #19
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I didnt list games that already had one sim. This poll is more for games that havent been done. And yes I know that there has been politcal, and business sims done before but those are such broad categories that there are many possibilities for new sims exploring different areas.

Old 05-25-2003, 02:22 PM   #20
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

I'd love to see a Presidential Election Sim...complete with Primaries and so on. I think it could be a fascinating exercise with elements of recruiting, finance, and competition.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 02:24 PM   #21
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
No hockey sim listed?

I don't recall ever seeing a decent one available.

Eastside Hockey Manager is available free.

SI Games is doing the next version of Eastside Hockey Manager, called EHM: Future Edition. It is apparently being built on top of the CM3 engine.

.400 is also working on a hockey game...don't know what stage of development they are at though.

Stu

Last edited by WussGawd : 05-25-2003 at 02:25 PM.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 02:37 PM   #22
TLK
Pro Starter

Somebody needs to make a Champ Car/NASCAR/F1 sim game. Just the thought of it brings a smile to my face.

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 02:53 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Airhog
well thats why there is an other option, what kind of sim would catch your fancy?

Actually, SkyDog's description of a High School Football game sounds really cool. If someone were to make something like that I would undoubtedly play it...

Old 05-25-2003, 03:58 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WussGawd -- just wanted to make sure you've checked out the various Presidential sims available at The Underdogs. There's not one I'd call great but they at least provide a little of what you might be looking for.

SkyDog -- Sort of like a text version of "The Season" w/ Tucker? Sounds interesting to me.

The original topic -- Nothing IMO cries out for a quality text sim like NASCAR. The market is as primed as it's likely to ever be but there's never been anything close even tried AFAIK. I'd agree with some others here that horse racing is probably high on the list for a quality text treatment. And the high school football notion is something that I'd dearly love but it'd probably only sell well in Texas, Georgia & Florida