Head Coach

So... Vince Carter statue?

Anyone else see this article?

Link to Story
==================================================================
Vince's gift comes with a statue
Education official: `This is over the top'
Dec. 10, 2005. 01:00 AM

When Vince Carter donated $2.5 million (U.S.) to help build a new gym at Daytona Beach's Mainland High School, his Florida alma mater, his generosity was widely hailed.

Judy Conte, a member of the county public school board, said that in an era in which public schools are always short — of books, of teachers, of classrooms — private donations are both rare and welcome. But the gift came with strings. Conte said the gym, as a condition of the donation, had to be named the Vince Carter Athletic Center. Carter's mother, Michelle Carter-Scott, also struck an agreement with a since-departed school-board superintendent to erect a near-life-sized statue of her 6-foot-7 son in front of the school.

When the five-member board recently learned of the latter caveat, she said they were more than surprised.

"I thought they were kidding me. I started laughing," she said. "None of us on the board knew anything about this. I thought it was a joke, but it wasn't a joke."

Conte was still laughing over the phone line from Daytona Beach this week, even after she was the lone dissenter in the 4-1 vote that gave the go-ahead for the installation of the monument to the 28-year-old former Raptor who plays for the New Jersey Nets. But her tone turned serious when she was asked to explain her rationale.

"To me it sends the wrong message to the students," said Conte. "It says it doesn't matter if you're a great physicist or a great scientist or a great community leader — we don't build statues for those kinds of people. It says that all that matters is if you've got a lot of money. If you've got a god-given gift of a layup, then you get a statue.

"This has nothing to do with Vince Carter. I'm sure he's a fine young man. He made a donation to the high school, which was nice and very appreciated. And we named the gym after him, which seems to me to be quite enough to do, and which we would have done whether he demanded it or not. But this — this is over the top. ... One should not erect a statue to oneself."

The statue — which is actually a gift to Carter from his mother — won't be cheap. The price tag for installation alone is estimated at $70,000 (U.S.). It is an intricate tableau that will include an image of Carter holding a basketball and two children at opposite ends of a granite footbridge.

There will be an inscription that underlines the importance of an education in building a successful life, all of which will sit in front of the school.

"I believe Vince Carter is a positive role model for our students," said Vicki Bumpus, a board member quoted in the Daytona Beach News-Journal. "I think the message he sends is he wants to come back and help this community."

Added board member Al Williams in the News-Journal: "He has put a lot of money and effort into this school district."

Conte doesn't disagree with her colleagues on those points, but she pointed out that Mainland High's roots go back more than a century, and that the list of alumni includes prominent scientists and doctors and judges, not to mention Denzel Washington, the Hollywood actor.

"Where," said Conte, "are their statues?"

Until recently, many Daytona residents asked the same question about important figures in the community's history. Conte said it was only in the past few years that the city erected a statue to Mary McLeod Bethune, a child of slaves who distinguished herself as a civil rights leader and founded a college in Daytona before her death in 1955. Jackie Robinson's first plate appearance as a member of the Brooklyn Dodgers organization — the first plate appearance of the integrated era in pro baseball — came in a pre-season game at Daytona City Island Ballpark. But it wasn't until 1990, 28 years after Robinson's death, that they renamed the place Jackie Robinson Ballpark and placed his statue at the entrance.

"I think when you erect a statue to someone you say a lot about what you value as a community," said Conte. "I considered just keeping my mouth shut and going along, but I felt strongly about it."

Conte has given up the fight. All that's left is the installation and the dedication and, Conte fears, the desecration.

"It probably will become a target," said Conte. "You know how kids like to vandalize things from school to school."
=============================================================

Gift from mom or not... I find this to be crazy. And no, I'm not biased towards the fact that I hate Vince Carter...

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
I don't see anything wrong with it. The school got $2.5 million, and all it had to do was name the arena after the guy that paid for it, and put his statue out front? That's a great deal. I'd rather see stuff like this happen than crap like Coke and Pepsi donating a big pile of cash to be the exclusive soft drink vendor on campus - which happens.

yup. The school got helped out - what's the harm ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
clintl
College Starter

I don't see anything wrong with it. The school got $2.5 million, and all it had to do was name the arena after the guy that paid for it, and put his statue out front? That's a great deal. I'd rather see stuff like this happen than crap like Coke and Pepsi donating a big pile of cash to be the exclusive soft drink vendor on campus - which happens.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

Maybe I put too much value in being made into a life-sized statue? I just don't see how this makes sense. Having the building named after you should be more than enough.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #5
timmynausea
College Starter

I think it's weird that anyone has any say in the building of a statue of themself. Like, "I will agree to make this generous donation out of the goodness of my heart, and all I ask in return is that you erect a life-size bronze statue to honor me and my greatness in front of the building."
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
I think it's weird that anyone has any say in the building of a statue of themself. Like, "I will agree to make this generous donation out of the goodness of my heart, and all I ask in return is that you erect a life-size bronze statue to honor me and my greatness in front of the building."

Actually, his only condition was the naming of the stadium, his mom led the statue erecting.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Actually, his only condition was the naming of the stadium, his mom led the statue erecting.

I read that, but the way I see it, if it was attached to him donating $2.5 million then he is partly responsible. The article is somewhat unclear, but I assume that the school feels somewhat obligated to go along with the statue thing because of his donation. It's possible that he just has a crazy mom, but I doubt she did this without him knowing about it.

Last edited by timmynausea : 12-11-2005 at 10:36 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:46 AM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Bolded part mine. There's a joke in there somewhere...
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Maybe I put too much value in being made into a life-sized statue? I just don't see how this makes sense. Having the building named after you should be more than enough.
They should go bigger...

Kinda like that Jesus statue in Rio...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote